WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What is your opinion of Baja boats?

GRADS2009

Banned
Reaction score
I've been noticing that it seems you can get a lot of bang for your buck with these boats.

I've never had the opportunity to look over one with a fine tooth comb but from what I've seen they look nice and a lot of them use the same guages and hardware of more expensive boats.

It does seem that there is a little bit of stigma with them between other boaters. Why is this?

Last edited:

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I'd say they are the Four Winns of performance boats.

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
More of a production/cookie cutter boat than a custom boat anymore

GRADS2009

Banned
Reaction score
More of a production/cookie cutter boat than a custom boat anymore

Is that necessarily a bad thing? SeaRay's are a production boat and the quality of those far exceeds what I've seen from some custom builders, obviously excluding the high end ones.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I've been noticing that it seems you can get a lot of bang for your buck with these boats.

I've never had the opportunity to look over one with a fine tooth comb but from what I've seen they look nice and a lot of them use the same guages and hardware of more expensive boats.

It does seem that there is a little bit of stigma with them between other boaters. Why is this?

You got 2 basic kinds of boats- factory boats and custom boats.

The "stigma" is that Baja is a production factory boat "stamped" out of a factory with few options, color schemes and power choices.

Most of the boaters at RDP own custom boats from small vendors that personalize their offerings to a much greater degree.

Many of these smaller vendors have formed long term relationships with their customers over time during the build process where you check in and guide the build. Some over may boats and decades.

This isnt as likely to happen with a boat like a baja- because you go to a dealer than has a prebuilt group of them and you "pick yours out".

Think- buying a Camaro from a Chevy dealer vs one from Chip Foose. - huge difference.

As a boat the bajas aren't really "bad" -better than some, not as good as others. The future of Baja is in question with their sale to fountain and fountains bankruptcy....

Uncle Dave

CigAjerk

Reaction score
what's their turnaround on bimini top orders?

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Is that necessarily a bad thing? SeaRay's are a production boat and the quality of those far exceeds what I've seen from some custom builders, obviously excluding the high end ones.

Not at all. I think a Four Winns is a great boat, so is a Sea Ray. You just run the risk of seeing boats exactly like yours when you go out. Especially back east. They probably have better quality control and materials than a lot of custom boats.

E4L

Reaction score
If you want a bayliner go head

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
As i recall, Baja was owned by Brunswick, which also owned Bayliner, and many other brands. As noted above not so "custom"...but probably better built than a lot of customs!

The Brunswick Boat Group, headquartered in Knoxville, Tennessee, United States, is the largest maker of pleasure boats in the world. In 2008, the company's net sales were US$1.7 billion.[1] The Boat Group makes Sea Ray, Bayliner, Maxum, Hatteras Yachts, Meridian and Sealine pleasure boats from 16 to 100 feet; Boston Whaler, Cabo Yachts and Trophy offshore fishing boats from 13 to 52 feet; and Crestliner, Harris, Kayot, Lowe Boats, Lund, Princecraft and Triton fishing, deck and pontoon boats from 10 to 26 feet. Brunswick is one of the largest boat makers in Europe, with such brands as Arvor, ?rnvik, Quicksilver, Uttern and Valiant boats. In New Zealand, Brunswick also owns the Rayglass boat brand. BBG oversees nearly 45 brands of boats in total, ranging from yachts to bass boats. Other subsidiaries include Attwood and Kellogg boat parts and accessories, along with IDS and Smart Craft onboard marine technology systems.[2][3]

:skull

throttle

c ya on da lake
Reaction score
I'd say they are the Four Winns of performance boats.

perfect, this was my first thought too. doesn't have to be a bad thing... just a way of looking at things from a different perspective (the four winns may be nicer tho).

spectras only

Reaction score
The Outlaw series have an excellent deep V hull without steps.My friend had a 29 OL with twin 502's. It handled rough water in the ocean better than his 35' beak boat;).What one has to be careful with models built before Reggie took over Baja,they had balsa cored hulls.Reggie started building them with foam core like his Fountains.At one time during a poker run, my friend launched off of a huge wake from other boats in a tight course and the impact and inertia produced by weight of engines, the starboard engine ripped out the stringer [ possibly inconsistent thickness in fiberglassing over the balsa cored system],busting up parts in the drive as well.The insurance repair bill totaled close to $40K.Lucky, he could limp back to the dock on one engine without sinking.I've been on the boat again after the repair and it felt extremely solid in very rough conditions.Another Baja I would recommend is the 25 Outlaw with single.It's big for its size [ true 25' without swimstep] and it can run low 70's with a 500HP.The non step hulls have a predictable and solid ride:thumbsup.The cabin interior is also tall,spacious and comfortable for a 29 footer, rivals in size of 35 footers.
Reading about the recent mishap of this new multi stepped 29 Outerlimits
reinforces my beleif staying with non step hulls.:hmm

Last edited:

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
I have one we have had since it was new in 89. Started out life on our lake house back east and had it sent to havasu. The all red and wrap around windshield has been out of style until recent years... :D Seriously the boat was the coolest thing on my lake in my eyes when I was a little guy and my family still enjoys it once in a while when we are not out in the pontoon boat. Invoice cost with merc power - 25 ft - 454 bravo drive - 24k. Things are a bit different when shopping today.

<-- Baja 250 Sport

Mini Kat

Hammer Makin' Payments
Reaction score
Did you know that Brunswick makes one hell of bowling ball and pin setter to.:rolleyes:

E4L

Reaction score
As i recall, Baja was owned by Brunswick, which also owned Bayliner, and many other brands. As noted above not so "custom"...but probably better built than a lot of customs!

The Brunswick Boat Group, headquartered in Knoxville, Tennessee, United States, is the largest maker of pleasure boats in the world. In 2008, the company's net sales were US$1.7 billion.[1] The Boat Group makes Sea Ray, Bayliner, Maxum, Hatteras Yachts, Meridian and Sealine pleasure boats from 16 to 100 feet; Boston Whaler, Cabo Yachts and Trophy offshore fishing boats from 13 to 52 feet; and Crestliner, Harris, Kayot, Lowe Boats, Lund, Princecraft and Triton fishing, deck and pontoon boats from 10 to 26 feet. Brunswick is one of the largest boat makers in Europe, with such brands as Arvor, ?rnvik, Quicksilver, Uttern and Valiant boats. In New Zealand, Brunswick also owns the Rayglass boat brand. BBG oversees nearly 45 brands of boats in total, ranging from yachts to bass boats. Other subsidiaries include Attwood and Kellogg boat parts and accessories, along with IDS and Smart Craft onboard marine technology systems.[2][3]

:skull

Your right thats why I said as long as you wanna own a bayliner

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
Your right thats why I said as long as you wanna own a bayliner

That's like saying buy a Cadillac CTS if you want to own a Chevy Aveo.

I have several friends who have and some who still currently own Baja's and they are very nice boats. As you approach the Central US custom builders are far less common so buying locally typically requires the purchase of a mass produced boat. Several years ago I came very close to purchasing a 25 Outlaw seemed very similar to a Nordic of comparable size when it came to fit and finish but was priced much better.

E4L

Reaction score

I have several friends who have and some who still currently own Baja's and they are very nice boats. As you approach the Central US custom builders are far less common so buying locally typically requires the purchase of a mass produced boat. Several years ago I came very close to purchasing a 25 Outlaw seemed very similar to a Nordic of comparable size when it came to fit and finish but was priced much better.

Well if you wanna compare a caddy to a aveo thats up to you. I think there is a difference to the two.

Run_em_Hard

Reaction score
The Outlaw series have an excellent deep V hull without steps.My friend had a 29 OL with twin 502's. It handled rough water in the ocean better than his 35' beak boat;).

Completely different boat than a fountain. No pad, no steps and heavier. It should handle rough better, at a much slower speed and lower quality.

Run_em_Hard

Reaction score
There is a guy up here in Utah that has a 29 Outlaw with supercharged BBC's. Nice boat, ran well (slower than my 31' Scarab with HP500's). He told me a story once when he was down in Havasu and it got rough:rolleyes: , he now has a couple nice cracks on the front of his boat. If a rough day in Havasu can hurt a big boat like that, its a crappy boat, IMO.

Director...
Reaction score
I had a 1996 Bandit....Ran great ...very similar to my Hallett...I thought the build quality was fine...

View attachment 198167

2369370215_5bfa3cdb4d_z.jpg

2370205402_31976835c3_z.jpg

2369370289_9284cac007_z.jpg

speeddmn

Reaction score
I think the build quality is ok but my buddy has a 27ft and it china walks bad about 55mph

mbrown2

Reaction score
I had a 1996 Bandit....Ran great ...very similar to my Hallett...I thought the build quality was fine...

Always liked the Baja line of boats...from the early 91 Bandit....funny how those lines and low pro wrap around windsheilds (Euro look) were something that the custom makers are now starting to adopt...Baja was ahead of the design curve....a mid 2000's bullet looks like a 91 Baja Bandit....just saying.

spectras only

Reaction score
There is a guy up here in Utah that has a 29 Outlaw with supercharged BBC's. Nice boat, ran well (slower than my 31' Scarab with HP500's). He told me a story once when he was down in Havasu and it got rough:rolleyes: , he now has a couple nice cracks on the front of his boat. If a rough day in Havasu can hurt a big boat like that, its a crappy boat, IMO.

Guess what? My buddy's 35 Fountain has stress cracks as well;). Both boats are the same year model [ 1998 ] and same quality IMHO:skull

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Always liked the Baja line of boats...from the early 91 Bandit....funny how those lines and low pro wrap around windsheilds (Euro look) were something that the custom makers are now starting to adopt...Baja was ahead of the design curve....a mid 2000's bullet looks like a 91 Baja Bandit....just saying.

Uhhh not soo fast on that...

Lavecraft had a molded in windscreen, molded in swimsteps and a flat floored tunnel hull in 90.

When did the baja swim steps go from a bolted on L bracket to a molded feature?

Uncle Dave

mbrown2

Reaction score

Lavecraft had a molded in windscreen, molded in swimsteps and a flat floored tunnel hull in 90.

Uncle Dave

Baja had a molded swim step and wrap around low shield in 1989 on the 226 ESS that became the Baja Bandit in the following years...

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Baja had a molded swim step and wrap around low shield in 1989 on the 226 ESS that became the Baja Bandit in the following years...

Love to see a picture of that if you have it.

UD

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I can see the step- but all I see for windscreens are the pop rivet lexan deals..

My lavey also had all pop up cleats as well.

UD

Attachments

• 5Lf5Na5F73Gc3Fc3Nfc58a0c8f3d57bf1122e.jpeg
    5Lf5Na5F73Gc3Fc3Nfc58a0c8f3d57bf1122e.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 610

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

If the question is "production versus custom" then these are both production cars. Ferraris are production cars, too, built largely on robotic production lines.

There are crappy things that are custom, and there are crappy things that are built on production lines. But there are quality things built on each as well.

So clearly there are varying degrees of quality/performance among production cars, and production boats.

At any rate, my sister had a Baja Islander for many years. It was an entry-level boat, quality was decent. But Baja makes much nicer boats as well. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

Director...
Reaction score
You know, on the lakes that I boat on, there are alot of Baja's running around. I cant think of any of the owners of them I have talked to, who had anything bad to say about them...Good looking ( I know not custom...lol) pretty damn dependable, easy to drive, dock & trailer boats...tons of storage, ect...I have also seen more than a few Baja's over the years, towing "customs" back to the dock....Just sayin...:p

Gelcoater

Reaction score

Uncle Dave
Lavey had the look back then,the big E had a euro style as well.I think 89-90 they started making the 234 tunnel.

234 edge.jpg

PokerRun388

Reaction score
Two of may favorite Baja "Outlaw PR editions"

Attachments

• l_58.jpg
    l_58.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 568
  • l_Baja_Boats_35_Poker_Run_Edition_2007_AI-246058_II-11384103.jpg
    l_Baja_Boats_35_Poker_Run_Edition_2007_AI-246058_II-11384103.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 812

shreve"T"

Ex-So Cal.
Reaction score
You know, on the lakes that I boat on, there are alot of Baja's running around. I cant think of any of the owners of them I have talked to, who had anything bad to say about them...Good looking ( I know not custom...lol) pretty damn dependable, easy to drive, dock & trailer boats...tons of storage, ect...I have also seen more than a few Baja's over the years, towing "customs" back to the dock....Just sayin...:p

Same here... I like Baja Boats.. Every baja I have seen or been in have been decent boats...We have the Red River than splits 2 cities here in Shreveport and the baja my buddy had did just fine...

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
I think "custom" is what you make of it. There are really no "one of a kind" boats. From Skater, MTI, Schiada, to Baja they're all the same hulls from each manufacture. Sure some of them have exotic motors, some even have exotic rigging, and different looking interior. If a guy takes a Baja and has Boostpower put some motors in it, and rig it to handle the "extra" horsepower, updates the interior, puts a sound system in it, doesn't that make it "custom?"

I think they are cool boats and a good platform to build on. You could buy a stock one and add to it year after year until you have a boat thats personal to you.

Kylemenz1

Reaction score
And another thing! We all make fun of the Sea Rays and the Bayliners. Call the Costco boats and whatnot. But they always seem to be running at the end of the weekend, and the folks who are using them always seem to be having a great time. :D

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
My first boat was an '86 baja 250 Force. It was an OK boat. Not great, but not bad. For a lake boat, I think they are fine.
But, they are not an "offshore" boat. They may look like one, but they aren't built to be ran like one.
Admittedly, I ran mine like it was a hardcore offshore boat, and it didn't hold up.

In other words, I beat the shit outta that boat, and it couldn't take it.
I crushed the stringers in it twice.
I need a boat that is built to be beat to shit, and have it look back at me and say "is that all ya got?"

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I think "custom" is what you make of it. There are really no "one of a kind" boats. From Skater, MTI, Schiada, to Baja they're all the same hulls from each manufacture. Sure some of them have exotic motors, some even have exotic rigging, and different looking interior. If a guy takes a Baja and has Boostpower put some motors in it, and rig it to handle the "extra" horsepower, updates the interior, puts a sound system in it, doesn't that make it "custom?"

I think they are cool boats and a good platform to build on. You could buy a stock one and add to it year after year until you have a boat thats personal to you.

The difference is WHEN the customisation occurs....

You customise a Baja AFTER you buy it vs. BEFORE you build it.

If I buy a Baja and want boostpower 1000's I buy the boat as is and pull the factory engines and do what I wish with them vs ordering it with what I want up front.

When you go to a custom builder the only constant is the hull and even that isnt a given and can be altered to order

When you buy a Baja new- there are no custom engine choices only 1 or 2 from merc, one or 2 interiors, the same paint schemes in a few different colors, whatever gauges they are using.

In other words you pick a length and buy the AB or C version if there are that many.

UD

mbrown2

Reaction score
In other words you pick a length and buy the AB or C version if there are that many.

UD

Hmmm...sounds like the DCB I built....you want a teague mortor, merc motor, illmor...or an outboard....you want these colors or those colors....you want stereo A/B/C....it may seem like a 1000 options but in reality there are only a couple that make sense....seems like Baja already figured that out. :)

Director...
Reaction score
A "true" custom ......A while back there was a guy who visited this site...I think he was from Sweden or Finland..built a little aluminum jet boat that hauled ass...anyone remember that thread?...That was custom...:thumbsup

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Hmmm...sounds like the DCB I built....you want a teague mortor, merc motor, illmor...or an outboard....you want these colors or those colors....you want stereo A/B/C....it may seem like a 1000 options but in reality there are only a couple that make sense....seems like Baja already figured that out. :)

Sure....lets go with that....

Engine paint and stereo- only three choices!

UD

Buoy

Cynical Sarcastic F-er
Reaction score
my 272 never chine walked......:cool:

My 250 never chine walked either. It had tabs, but they were never needed.
It always flew straight and level. The problems I had were all in the rigging, which could have been upgraded for the way I ran the boat, but I was young, didn't know any better. Back then there was no internet to do this kind of research.