WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What is your opinion of Baja boats?

Reaction score
You know, on the lakes that I boat on, there are alot of Baja's running around. I cant think of any of the owners of them I have talked to, who had anything bad to say about them...Good looking ( I know not custom...lol) pretty damn dependable, easy to drive, dock & trailer boats...tons of storage, ect...I have also seen more than a few Baja's over the years, towing "customs" back to the dock....Just sayin...:p

you lie!!!:box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_RFH7C3vkK4#!

Warlock1

Reaction score
A "true" custom ......A while back there was a guy who visited this site...I think he was from Sweden or Finland..built a little aluminum jet boat that hauled ass...anyone remember that thread?...That was custom...:thumbsup

Are you sure it was aluminum??? I read the thread where a guy from Finland built a fiberglass jet boat with a turbo engine from a jet ski. I think he went by the screen name Tron

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
So what is this considered? Production or custom?:hmm

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/2992772599.html

That's as custom as this car:
ricer_civic_2.jpg

RLJ676

Reaction score
Here's the baja options, not full custom but you can certainly order and pick a ton of different shit. I'm willing to bet if you want bigger power, or your own custom paint you can get that easy.
http://www.bajamarine.com/outlaw/30outlaw_opt.htm

Every performance boat is "custom" or built to order pretty much, as nobody is building stock units to floorplan any more!

A Baja is a basic entry level offshore. Not a ton of money, not top of the line but not a pile either. You see lots of similar paint on them on the lakes in the midwest, like LOTO.

Director...
Reaction score
Are you sure it was aluminum??? I read the thread where a guy from Finland built a fiberglass jet boat with a turbo engine from a jet ski. I think he went by the screen name Tron

yep that was him....not aluminum...:p

ChiliPepperGarage

Well Known RDP Cart Returner
Reaction score
Baja's get a bad rap. Mostly by guys who have no exp[erience with them but want to jump on the bashing bandwagon. It's always, "I knew a guy who knew a guy who had one and it had stress cracks" kind of stuff.

I've had 3 Baja Outlaws and all of them performed flawlessly. My latest was a 1998 29 Outlaw with 7.4 mags. Super reliable, very roomy and a nice boat. Sure, not at Cig or Outerlimits quality build but can't beat it for bang for the buck.

I am in SCOPE and do pretty much all my boating in the ocean. I run regularly with some pretty fast boats including Tom's "Hot For teacher" Cig which is a pretty well known boat. Also run with H2OToie who is on here a lot. While I obviously can't keep up with them when they hammer the sticks forward we do run 65 - 70 most of the time in up to 3-4's in the ocean and the little Baja just keeps chugging along.

I've been out in 6-8's a couple years ago over Memorial Day when they had double small craft warnings. I've run it hard in the SCOPE poker runs when many bigger boats were backing down.

The boat does have a few very small stress cracks but so do a lot of my buddy's Cigs and Fountains.

There are a lot of really nice custom boats on this site but I hardly ever see any of them running in the ocean. I'd really love to see a DCB running hard out there but I've never seen one even when the water is flat.

So say what you want about Baja's but I know from real world experience (I'm sure Tank will jump it here too as he has run his old 24 Outlaw in some nasty stuff) they will hold up in some pretty big water.

Attachments

• Cool Roofing Boat.jpg
    Cool Roofing Boat.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_1510.jpg
    IMG_1510.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_2342.JPG
    IMG_2342.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 226
  • NV8589KP.701x.jpg
    NV8589KP.701x.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 225
  • NV8589KP.705x.jpg
    NV8589KP.705x.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 231
  • NV8589KP.519x.jpg
    NV8589KP.519x.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:

Tank

Reaction score
You'll be very hard pressed to find anyone thats actually owned one say anything bad about them. You'll also be very hard pressed to find a better value as well.

Last edited:

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
You'll be very hard pressed to find anyone thus actually owned one say anything bad about them. You'll also be very hard pressed to find a better value as well.

Word! :thumbsup

Besides, who's going to want to argue with this guy?:D

Or someone who launches their boat like this? :D:D:D

Attachments

• 110-1079_IMG.JPG
    110-1079_IMG.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 232
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 231

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Baja's get a bad rap. Mostly by guys who have no exp[erience with them but want to jump on the bashing bandwagon. It's always, "I knew a guy who knew a guy who had one and it had stress cracks" kind of stuff.

I've had 3 Baja Outlaws and all of them performed flawlessly. My latest was a 1998 29 Outlaw with 7.4 mags. Super reliable, very roomy and a nice boat. Sure, not at Cig or Outerlimits quality build but can't beat it for bang for the buck.

I am in SCOPE and do pretty much all my boating in the ocean. I run regularly with some pretty fast boats including Tom's "Hot For teacher" Cig which is a pretty well known boat. Also run with H2OToie who is on here a lot. While I obviously can't keep up with them when they hammer the sticks forward we do run 65 - 70 most of the time in up to 3-4's in the ocean and the little Baja just keeps chugging along.

I've been out in 6-8's a couple years ago over Memorial Day when they had double small craft warnings. I've run it hard in the SCOPE poker runs when many bigger boats were backing down.

The boat does have a few very small stress cracks but so do a lot of my buddy's Cigs and Fountains.

There are a lot of really nice custom boats on this site but I hardly ever see any of them running in the ocean. I'd really love to see a DCB running hard out there but I've never seen one even when the water is flat.

So say what you want about Baja's but I know from real world experience (I'm sure Tank will jump it here too as he has run his old 24 Outlaw in some nasty stuff) they will hold up in some pretty big water.

Its funny isn't it, Ive been to catalina dozens of times and San diego and back 3 times and I rarely see anyone with a custom either.

Add little fog and I watch every one hang out at the breakwater

We should plan a trip.

Nice loading unloading technique.......

Attachments

• 2750 avalon.jpg
    2750 avalon.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 209
  • Aircraft carrier.jpg
    Aircraft carrier.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 204
  • bimini shot san diego.jpg
    bimini shot san diego.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC06318.jpg
    DSC06318.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 208
  • NN3d avalon.jpg
    NN3d avalon.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 199

PokerRun388

Reaction score
Bad Ass Boat.:)

Attachments

• 2005-baja-40-outlaw-poker-run-edition_4435700.jpg
    2005-baja-40-outlaw-poker-run-edition_4435700.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 180

Tank

Reaction score
Word! :thumbsup

Besides, who's going to want to argue with this guy?:D

Or someone who launches their boat like this? :D:D:D

You're killin me. You better be careful, you know who was driving the suburban!

speeddmn

Reaction score
my 272 never chine walked......:cool:

But did you have trim tabs? My buddies boat does not have trim tabs and it chine walks although not horrible. I would be scared to go much faster than 55 or 60mph in it though.

ChiliPepperGarage

Reaction score
Its funny isn't it, Ive been to catalina dozens of times and San diego and back 3 times and I rarely see anyone with a custom either.

Add little fog and I watch every one hang out at the breakwater

We should plan a trip.

Nice loading unloading technique.......

UD, Dana Point memorial day Weekend. Some of us SCOPE guys are doing DP to Newport for lunch on Sat and DP to Oceanside on Sunday. Come on out and join us!

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
UD, Dana Point memorial day Weekend. Some of us SCOPE guys are doing DP to Newport for lunch on Sat and DP to Oceanside on Sunday. Come on out and join us!

I may be able to make that...

I had my port side kidney removed 2 weeks ago...I still feel like I lost a knife fight (because I did) Im still tore up.

UD

Last edited: