WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Today the world lost a good man

PunkAssBitch

Reaction score
I just saw this. So sorry to hear the news :(

Sincere condolences to you, Stacy, your mom & all those that lives were touched by your dad's spark.

RIP & Godspeed.

PHOTOGLOU

Reaction score
My father passed away this morning. He had a heart attack while walking his dogs. A friend visiting some neighbors did CPR for awhile before the ambulance showed up. I arrived on the scene to see the paramedics working on him, right up till the point where they handed me the corvette hat we bought him for christmas, cell phone and sunglasses.

A few of you had met him, and one or two knew him..

Today the world lost a good man. The greatest man I've ever known.

RD
Dave I am so sorry for your loss.... PLEASE let me know if there is anything I can do to help you... ANYTHING!!! Love and prayers bud...

kev4dez

Reaction score
Dave, my condolences on the loss of your father.
Been there myself.

Kanzalez

Reaction score
:( My prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time. In the hands of God now. Eternal peace to your Pops. God Bless - Keith

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
To the thread, and sending your condolences.

It's funny having never been through something like this, you never know what to expect. If 2 weeks ago you would have told me that I would have found some comfort from a thread on the internet, I would've told you to lay off the drugs. Strangely though, knowing there's that many people out there that have said a prayer, or thought a kind thought, or have offered help etc.. It's just nice to know that your not alone, and more importantly your family is not alone.

I'd like to apollogize to some people. I know a lot of people wrote me text messages on my phone, or have left messages etc.. If I didn't write back, or call you back it's not that I didn't get them or think of you. As for the few that sent cards to my house (how'd you get my address? LOL) thank you for that as well.

Truthfully the response has been a little overwhelming. There's just no way to keep track of it all, and I'm (strangely) having a very hard time remembering even basic things right now.

Having pictured this in my mind a few times over the years, I can tell you it's absolutely nothing like I thought it would be. In someways worse, and in others better. I will say that we are getting through this, and that I have finally crossed that point where you realize it is all just part of the cycle of life. My main and only concern at this point is for my mother and taking care of her.

I really appreciate it again..

Ratso

Reaction score

It's funny having never been through something like this, you never know what to expect. If 2 weeks ago you would have told me that I would have found some comfort from a thread on the internet, I would've told you to lay off the drugs. Strangely though, knowing there's that many people out there that have said a prayer, or thought a kind thought, or have offered help etc.. It's just nice to know that your not alone, and more importantly your family is not alone.

I'd like to apollogize to some people. I know a lot of people wrote me text messages on my phone, or have left messages etc.. If I didn't write back, or call you back it's not that I didn't get them or think of you. As for the few that sent cards to my house (how'd you get my address? LOL) thank you for that as well.

Truthfully the response has been a little overwhelming. There's just no way to keep track of it all, and I'm (strangely) having a very hard time remembering even basic things right now.

Having pictured this in my mind a few times over the years, I can tell you it's absolutely nothing like I thought it would be. In someways worse, and in others better. I will say that we are getting through this, and that I have finally crossed that point where you realize it is all just part of the cycle of life. My main and only concern at this point is for my mother and taking care of her.

You're a good man RD... That reflects highly on your dad, as well as your mom...;)

HavasuHank

"B" team gardener
Reaction score
good to hear you are doing somewhat better dave. hang in there.....over time you will start to feel better and better. things like this are never easy.

you are a good man. be there for your mother.

again ... if you need anything, please feel free

hank

SFV2RVR

Registered Parker Legend
Reaction score

Dave, I know exactly what you are going thru. I lost my father 8 years ago to cancer. My father had met my mother in parker back in the 60's, and were married to each other for 33 years before he passed away in 01'
So, by me going to parker it reminds me alot of my mom and dad, and gives me the comfort that I need knowing that he's looking down on me, knowing that my mom is in good hands with me, and she will be well taken care of.
So have no doubt in your mind, your father knows you will take the absolute best care of your mother! Find something that reminds you of you father, and I promise you, it will bring a smile to your face every time.

My condolences........ Marc & dona

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Find something that reminds you of you father, and I promise you, it will bring a smile to your face every time.

My condolences........ Marc & dona

I appreciate the words of wisdom Marc.. Seems like everything right now is reminding me of him, but I'm sure that will get better with time.

I really appreciate you taking the time to take him for a solid ride in a twin turbo Schiada. I'm glad he got to experience that at least once in his life.

I remember when he came back from it he said.. "Damn, maybe we shoulda bought a v-drive." LOL

RD

Reaction score

Your a good man dave.

Again my heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Hard to believe it's been a year as of yesterday..

Yesterday everyone at the shop went over to my dad's memorial bench and ate lunch. It wasn't one of my mom's better days, but Stacy hung out with her last night.. (I had to work)

I know there was a lot of people that lost their parents in 2009 on this board. I believe DJHartley to be the most recent with his mom, and Haiger's father passed away right around the time mine did.. Hallett's soon after, and then Sawtooth's father just a few short months back as well. Those were just off the top of my head, but I'm quite sure there were others..

To everyone that had to deal with that last year (or years past) your in my thoughts, and I hope things are getting some what back to normal for you.

To those that haven't experienced it yet.. I won't say live everyday like it's your/their last, because it's impossible.. And in a bit of a contradiction I won't say had I known I would've done things different... but had I known that deal was coming, I probably woulda spent some more time given the opportunity.

This was his Eulogy that I wrote (with a little help from Flat Broke, thanks again Chris) and delivered at his services.. To this day still the hardest thing I've ever had to read.

On behalf of my mother Donna, and the entire Johnson family, I'd like to thank everyone for making the journey here today to honor the life of Dwight Newton Johnson.

My father was born on the 16th of February 1935 in the heartland of America. He was born into one of the most trying times of our great nation. Growing up on a farm during the depression and Second World War tempered the ideas and desires of a boy into the resolve and determination of a self-made man. Meeting these challenges and finding his way in the world formed the man we all knew and loved.

It was clear from the beginning that Dwight was not an ordinary man, but rather one of unusual intelligence and an insatiable thirst for knowledge that continued up until the day he died. My grandmother used to tell me "Dwight had read every book of substance in his high school library by the time he was a teenager. He could also read them back to you from memory."

I asked my father about this once, and he quickly changed the subject. Whenever I would bring up similar subjects of his unique abilities he would tell me that there was nothing special about him, but rather he just applied himself more than most. It was through these understatements of fact that his love showed its selfless nature. His humble and subtle ways taught us the important lesson of humility.

My father was a man built of principal, integrity, honesty, loyalty, humility, and most importantly unconditional love. Robert Kennedy once made a recollection of his father that I'd like to share with you today.

“What it really all adds up to is love, not love as it is described with such facility in popular magazines, the kind of love that is affection and respect... order and encouragement and support. Our awareness of this was an incalculable source of strength, and because real love is something unselfish and involves sacrifice and giving... We could not help but profit from it.”

We have all profited from the love of my father, whether it was the knowledge he imparted upon us, or the example he laid for us; we are all better off for the experience of sharing our lives with him. The beauty of his love is found in its humility. Only in retrospect can we fully appreciate this selfless and quiet facet of his love.

I would like to think that those who knew my father would think of him as an enlightened man. Not because of his raw intelligence and determination, but because he subscribed to the idea that to achieve a life with purpose is to live a life of ultimate happiness.

He was proud of every action taken, and enjoyed the idea of meeting the day’s challenges no matter how miniscule or seemingly impossible. A man that can go through life in this manner can live without regret, and almost look forward to adversity.

As hard as my father worked, he understood the importance of spending time with those you love and bestowing upon them the fruits of your labor; whether it was providing a comfortable existence for his family, or sharing his knowledge and ideals with his sons and daughter. Dwight Johnson understood the true value of life. Never wasting a moment to chance, and never putting off for tomorrow what could be done today. My father lived life as we all should; he lived life intensely.

Most here would view my father as a talented engineer, but in truth he was a teacher and a mentor. While our parents always bought us encyclopedias to help us understand the world we lived in, I can't imagine why they did. I never so much as cracked a binding on one of them. Whenever I had a question about why things were the way they were, or how something worked, it was as simple as asking my dad. In the case of "how it works" questions, I not only received a very in depth explanation of how it worked, but the history of the device, and how and why it evolved. My father took this same approach with employees and colleagues. It was just as important for him to share knowledge with those in his life, as it was for him to seek knowledge and understanding for himself.

Throughout his career, my father never accepted the current state of affairs as adequate. He was always in a mode of progression; improving processes & products and subsequently his family and society benefitted as a whole. He lived to see his ideas bloom into 94 patents, and apply for another 3 that are currently pending. His spirit of innovation continues to grow even after his passing.

When I look back at all of the gifts that my father has bestowed upon us, I return to the same core ideal that propelled him to the success and principles we associate with his name. It is the ability to embrace challenges without fear or uncertainty that laid the foundation for all we know about Dwight Johnson.

And so, it is in his passing that he has left a parting gift to my family. We will look this insurmountable challenge posed by his death straight in the face, without fear or uncertainty, and we will embrace it. I can think of no better honor for my father then for all of you to do the same. I know that this is what he would’ve wanted.

In closing, today we formally say our goodbyes to Dwight Johnson. But these goodbyes are merely a way for us to note the passing from one life to the next. For we could never truly say “goodbye” to my father; he lives on in the lessons that he has taught us, and the joys he has provided for us. It is because of the sum of a lifetime of lessons, mentoring, and love that he is the greatest man I will ever know.

RD

Just Electric

freway offramp panhandler
Reaction score

Yesterday everyone at the shop went over to my dad's memorial bench and ate lunch. It wasn't one of my mom's better days, but Stacy hung out with her last night.. (I had to work)

I know there was a lot of people that lost their parents in 2009 on this board. I believe DJHartley to be the most recent with his mom, and Haiger's father passed away right around the time mine did.. Hallett's soon after, and then Sawtooth's father just a few short months back as well. Those were just off the top of my head, but I'm quite sure there were others..

To everyone that had to deal with that last year (or years past) your in my thoughts, and I hope things are getting some what back to normal for you.

To those that haven't experienced it yet.. I won't say live everyday like it's your/their last, because it's impossible.. And in a bit of a contradiction I won't say had I known I would've done things different... but had I known that deal was coming, I probably woulda spent some more time given the opportunity.

This was his Eulogy that I wrote (with a little help from Flat Broke, thanks again Chris) and delivered at his services.. To this day still the hardest thing I've ever had to read.

RD

i feel ya just in a different way ive lost to children in 03 and came home empty handed from the hospital.there a reason why the man upstairs takes hem from us godspeed

Just Electric

Reaction score
hence the tattoo of the baby blocks on both my forearms.sorry been drinking pretty heavy tonite

Sawtooth

Thanks for everything Dad
Reaction score
Hey Dave I completely understand, like you I can not believe it has already been 6 months since my Dad left this life.......where does the time go. That is a very nice tribute to your dad you wrote, I don't know how you were able to get up and do that. I wrote a note to my dad but had to have the Pastor read it because I was in no condition to do so. It is amazing how our parents teach us and we learn without even knowing it is happening, things I have done in the last six months that I have never done before just came natural and all I had ever done was watch my Dad and had never asked questions or talked about it and have never thought about till his passing. I know I dont know you personaly, met you one time at the Schiada deal but it seems like your parents did a great job with molding you into who you are and I am sure your Dad was proud of you and your whole family. I can't speak for you only myself but my thought process as of late has been W.W.D.D - What Would Dad Do, kinda corney but it helps me. Also THANK YOU for this web site, it has helped me get through the last 6 months.
Chris.

Ivan Dan

Reaction score

RD

You too Dave....wish you and your fam the best.

I lost my mom to cancer on Mothers Day/my wife's birthday. This holiday season was really hard and I miss her every day. I'm tearing up as I sit here and type this. So many things in my life remind me of her and as hard as that is right now I cherish those things/moments/memories.

I hope as this year goes on that things get easier for all of us that have lost parents or family members recently.

randyjet

Reaction score
He will be missed its really hard to lose a parent I am very sorry for you Dave.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
He will be missed its really hard to lose a parent I am very sorry for you Dave.

Just so we're all clear, my dad died a year ago yesterday.. I don't want people thinking that this happened today or something. (which I'm not sure if that's the impression it gave off)

But yes, it still sucks.. and I still think about it every hour of everyday. :(

RD

MMD

Banned Inmate #2584...Now Inmate #20161
Reaction score
Your thread and thoughts are proof to others (us) of how much he meant to you. To you and the others who posted here I congratulate you for having a father, mother, loved one who meant so very much to you. You have a lot to be grateful for and I hope you carry the great memories with you always.

They would want you to carry on in a positive way. They loved you too.

snake321

Irish Republican
Reaction score
I can't believe a year has gone by.
Where's the pic of him waving from the boat?

Tremor Therapy

Reaction score
Dave,
I lost my dad 19 years ago, but reading your eulogy brought a tear to my eye. The pain dulls with time, but it never goes away. I would have loved for my dad to have met my wife and his grand children, but that will never happen. I too live by many of the examples that my dad taught me, and I find myself from time to time uttering the same lessons to my kids...in the same damn words he used on me oh so long ago! Everyday I see things that remind me of him, and I am proud to have been able to call him dad. I feel for you Dave, and I hope that your family has been able to heal.
Alan

Lavey29

Floatin Dirty
Reaction score
You should think of him each and every day. I lost mine 12 years ago and not a day goes by that I do not think of him and experiences I had growing up and learning from him.

djhartley2003

Reaction score
Monday the 11th will be 4 weeks that my mom passed. I don't know how you guys (Dave, Ivan Dan and the others) have made it threw the year. The holidays were very hard and Saturday the 9th is my 11 year anniversary. 2 weeks from today is my birthday and all I can think about is that my mom wont be hear for any of it. Dave thanks for bringing this thread back. I know that every one that has dealt with a loss like this has made it threw each day but it is a helpful reminder that you can get threw it. I hope that everyone has a better 2010.

Man I am looking forward to the weather heating up so we can get back out on the water and try to have a good day.

PVHCA

Reaction score
You should think of him each and every day. I lost mine 12 years ago and not a day goes by that I do not think of him and experiences I had growing up and learning from him.

Amen to that Marc. It will be 7 years this May for me and each time I think of Big Al I cry, just sucks, but I treasure everything I learned from the man.

PVHCA

Reaction score
Monday the 11th will be 4 weeks that my mom passed. I don't know how you guys (Dave, Ivan Dan and the others) have made it threw the year. The holidays were very hard and Saturday the 9th is my 11 year anniversary. 2 weeks from today is my birthday and all I can think about is that my mom wont be hear for any of it. Dave thanks for bringing this thread back. I know that every one that has dealt with a loss like this has made it threw each day but it is a helpful reminder that you can get threw it. I hope that everyone has a better 2010.

Man I am looking forward to the weather heating up so we can get back out on the water and try to have a good day.

It gets easier but it doesn't, you'll understand what I mean one day.

Sorry for your loss, just remember she isn't suffering and she's still looking over you and enjoying what you are.

ukxpat

Reaction score
Dave, I'm so very sorry for your loss! I got a phone call 3 years ago, at 4am, from my Mom who was in the ambulance as my Dad was having a heart attach and being rushed to the hospital! It was, without a doubt, THE WORST DAY of my life. Luckily for us he pulled through, so I do have an idea of what you are going through but cannot imagine the pain you're experiencing right now.

Once again, I'm so sorry and please accept my condolences to you and your family at this extraordinarily painful time.

Lawrence

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score

RD

I don't think you'll ever come across anything that's more difficult to read...that's a tough one.

Our loved ones who've passed live on through the memories we have of them.
They may not be with us physically...but they're still with us.
I'm sure he's looking at all of this with a proud smile :thumbsup

kgt

Reaction score
A year already...Wow, time sure goes fast. Even though i have never met you Dave you seem like a genuine person, your dad must have been so proud of you. To those that have lost loved ones this year, I am sorry to hear of your loss, they never really leave us......

90 Laveycraft

SBC/Jet..Oh hell ya!
Reaction score
Dave saw this thread this a.m., read it complete....front to back.....back to front. I happened to be having lunch with my father later this day(rare occurance). Thoughts of my life, his life - what he went through to raise/teach me. What I do to raise/teach my kid. Really hits home - time is short. His spot, 15 years @ N. Cailif. lake w/ his Colbolt tri hull......last trip when I was 16.....Damn!

Wanted to thank you for re-submitting it - you should every Jan 1. For those that have lost - and for those who still have a few years left. I am 46 and he is 76.

Thanks brother!

PS, made reservations today for a week @ Lake Almanor(his lake) in August for two familys......mine and my folks....gonna be a bitchin time!

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
sorry for your loss dave. stay strong.

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
sorry just looked at last years date. my bad. however its always not a good thing to lose a loved one.

Just Electric

Reaction score
no apology needed. That is un-comprehendible. :(

Dave that piece was beautiful.
:)

thanks cosat me my marriage too she went off the deep end and there wasnothing i could do but just say yes

Just Electric

Reaction score
No apologies needed, that has to be one of the toughest things for a person to go through.

there better off up there then down here.its ok after i proposed at the river that day i met you and the lovely other half i think thing will be all good

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Dave saw this thread this a.m., read it complete....front to back.....back to front. I happened to be having lunch with my father later this day(rare occurance). Thoughts of my life, his life - what he went through to raise/teach me. What I do to raise/teach my kid. Really hits home - time is short. His spot, 15 years @ N. Cailif. lake w/ his Colbolt tri hull......last trip when I was 16.....Damn!

Wanted to thank you for re-submitting it - you should every Jan 1. For those that have lost - and for those who still have a few years left. I am 46 and he is 76.

Thanks brother!

PS, made reservations today for a week @ Lake Almanor(his lake) in August for two familys......mine and my folks....gonna be a bitchin time!

I'm happy that is has a possitive affect on some peoples lives.. :) It's still shocking to me how often someone I don't know will come up and tell me that reading this deal has made them spend more time with their parents, or squash some little argument they had going, because it made them realize that time is more or less of the essence.

RD

HPBoats83

Reaction score
Just so we're all clear, my dad died a year ago yesterday.. I don't want people thinking that this happened today or something. (which I'm not sure if that's the impression it gave off)

But yes, it still sucks.. and I still think about it every hour of everyday. :( RD

And it doesn't ever get any easier. I'm 26 now and my dad passed when I was 18 and I still think about him every minute and all the shit he missed, my first boat, my dog, my wife, my baby on the way, my first house. Fucking blows!

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
Happy thoughts Dave!!!!:thumbsup

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
3 years ago today.. Miss ya dad..

RD

Wow how time flies. Hope all memories are with you strong as ever Dave.

Its been nearly 4 years since my moms passing and at times I sense she's is watching over me when I get a wiff of her perfume.
Tomorrow my lonely and depressed father turns 84.

HighRoller

Mr. All or Nothing
Reaction score
Stick to the Happy Memories, RD. Lost my Mom coming up on 6 years this April. Still dealing with the loss in one way ar another whether I want to or not.

Your Dad obviously gave you an incredible gift by sharing his love of the water/River with you. Glad to see you're honoring his memory by passing that along to your family.

God Bless -- Have a great weekend!!

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Stick to the Happy Memories, RD. Lost my Mom coming up on 6 years this April. Still dealing with the loss in one way ar another whether I want to or not.

Your Dad obviously gave you an incredible gift by sharing his love of the water/River with you. Glad to see you're honoring his memory by passing that along to your family.

God Bless -- Have a great weekend!!

My dad gave me the gift of decent sized junk..

My mom gave me the gift of humor.. :D

RD

Phebus

Past Poster.
Reaction score
I am a firm believer that out of all tragedy comes good. As sad as your loss is, I'm sure you are a better man as a result of it. Your fathers legacy will live on through you, and the best thing you can do is to make him proud..

Celebrate his life, and never forget your loss.

WATERDOG

Eliminator Eagle Flying free in the heavens above!
Reaction score
gift of decent sized junk..

RD

Mom's sense of humor got the best of you here. She should have gave you better eye sight.:D

My dad's been gone 2 years now. I thought it was supposed to get easier. Not yet anyways.

retaocleg

Reaction score
he may be gone in body, but is still with you, watching...........RIP

Last edited:

HighRoller

Mr. All or Nothing
Reaction score
My dad gave me the gift of decent sized junk..

My mom gave me the gift of humor.. :D

RD

It all makes sense now...when you got nothing in your pants you roll into Havasu pulling a 40ft Skater with a Freightliner. When you got decent sized junk you are cool with a 10 ft Schiada.

retaocleg

Reaction score
It all makes sense now...when you got nothing in your pants you roll into Havasu pulling a 40ft Skater with a Freightliner. When you got decent sized junk you are cool with a 10 ft Schiada.

with that said, lets start a thread of who has what boat.......lol
17 foot skeeter..........

Last edited:

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
It's not easy Dave but just remember that he is smiling & watching his grand daughter.