WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Surprising Result! Can a New Half-ton Gas Truck Out-tow an Old Diesel HD Pickup? Let's Find Out!

HST4ME

Reaction score
I'll take my 09 dmax that isn't going to give a fuck whats hitched up behind for the next 300k miles.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
so what do they do To cause a jerking sensation while I’m coming to a stop?

Uneven transfer layer of pad material deposited on the disc.

That’s why it’s so important to bed new pads to your rotor - to put a fresh transfer layer on the rotor.

Rotors are solid iron, they’re amazingly tough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I will take the old crappy 97 F-350 that I used to own, anyday over that Nissan.

How about this... one time I am towing 12,000 lbs in heavy rain, down a grade. I have to turn left at the bottom of the grade. I start braking, and my trailer brakes lock up. I let off, and try again...same thing. So I start pumping the brakes trying to slow down to turn (it's a 2 lane hwy with a long left turn lane). If I can't get slowed down, I have to get back over into traffic (my total rig is 60' long). I determine that working the brakes, I can get slowed down. I make my left turn.

I pull over to check things out when I get to a turnout. My trailer brake/light cord had come unplugged. So the trailer brakes weren't locking up, the trailer was trying to jackknife the rig, but didn't.

I will take a long wheelbase, big brakes, old beater, diesel, F-350 over a Nissan any day. View attachment 917054

Sent From Tapatalk
I'd take that old Ford of the Nissan as well, but maybe not the American half tons.

That ford does NOT have big brakes compared to modern trucks. The rear has 12" drums for God sakes. The 2020 1500 Silverado has 13.5" and 13" rotors with WAY more clamping force than the old 3/4 tons.

The extra wheel base definitely helps but much of that advantage is mitigated by modern stability controls which allow independent braking of each wheel to straighten the truck and help straighten the trailer.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

RogerThat99

Parker Is Now OPEN
Reaction score
I'd take that old Ford of the Nissan as well, but maybe not the American half tons.

That ford does NOT have big brakes compared to modern trucks. The rear has 12" drums for God sakes. The 2020 1500 Silverado has 13.5" and 13" rotors with WAY more clamping force than the old 3/4 tons.

The extra wheel base definitely helps but much of that advantage is mitigated by modern stability controls which allow independent braking of each wheel to straighten the truck and help straighten the trailer.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
You may be right on the brakes, I never really looked at them while I owned it. LOL. I know it had a crappy little transmission cooler that I wouldn't put on a Pinto.

What I do know, is the brakes were able to bring the trailer to a stop, in the rain, with no trailer brakes.

Sent From Tapatalk

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
that my brakes would fade when towing down hill, changed the fluid and now they don’t.
where’s your evidence to suggest otherwise?
Define “fade”

what specific symptoms did you experience? If you claim fluid quality to be the culprit...when was the last time the fluid was flushed/changed prior to this incident?

Lord M((Squared))

Reaction score
Define “fade”

what specific symptoms did you experience? If you claim fluid quality to be the culprit...when was the last time the fluid was flushed/changed prior to this incident?
Brake fade is a term sometimes used when the brake fluid in the lines and calipers become so hot that it boils. You could have fresh brake fluid and overwork the brake system via heavy towing or doing a track day. Most oem brake systems run dot 3 fluid. In my track cars and high performance cars i run a dot 4 due to it having a higher boiling point. If your boiling your brake fluid your pedal pressure will go away and slowly come back slowly as you pump the brakes, but if you cook the fluid you can loose all stopping power. FYI I've got plenty of rotors that are warped due to excessive heat off my track car.......does happen and is one of the reasons carbon ceramic rotors are offered on high performance vehicles.