WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Speed UTV take 3

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
just a reminder of what you are buying :)
327729636_1282006382347007_1261306321215658826_n.jpg

NicPaus

Reaction score
Because once fired, that always stops them from continuing to say negative things. 🤔
Why spend so much time for someone that doesn't appreciate your work?

Let them talk all the shit they want . Never had to fire a customer for bad mouthing my company. So not sure on that point. But if they don't appreciate the hard work. There are 10 others waiting that will.

Deckin Around

Reaction score
SPEED ran out of cars to break, this one was a canam left overnight from yesterday and it was on the race course so it had to take a ride. For the record I have a speed car on order and the one I saw in person looked pretty good.
They put a Go-pro in the wrecked canam just for the flight… it should be a cool video edit coming
B0A0DCA8-EF7E-4110-8AB0-5B0122ACF7E1.jpeg

BECE9F25-03A6-4220-946B-F823453E466F.jpeg
B611724A-9EFA-41C7-8B79-F1DA09533D56.jpeg

Last edited:

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Gomez family offered the car to RG yesterday. Must be damn good friends.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
Robby stopped in almost the exact same place he broke in the UTV

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Gomez unofficially. It was down to like 10 seconds physical gap on unadjusted time, so he will win it by right around 1 minute..

alohajeff

Reaction score
Another vehicle rescue gameplanning. They will be bringing the car back to our property shortly View attachment 1198258
View attachment 1198259
Thank you for the hospitality in 2022 and 2023! You were kind enough to allow us (son and I) to park the prerunner and tent camp last year with HP and MTT. I flew in last Sunday and slept on Brad's dinette and flew out Monday. I know we've introduced ourselves but I wasn't aware of the RDP connection. Small world stuff!

Aloha

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Emmi or whatever her name is referred to UTVs on broadcast as “Golf Carts”. Dave responded he stopped that comment 7 years ago. So far 2 UTV finishing top 10 or better.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Firing a bad customer. Every Business owner has to do it.
The 3 Dolphin Inn Restaurant in Topanga had a sign on the wall "The Customer is Always Wrong."
The Sous Chef told me that sign prevented a lot of drama.

RVR SWPR

Almost Off the Grid
Reaction score
Endangered Specie around LHC when the Speed restaurant opens. :)

622DA982-4980-411F-834D-D90B65632667.jpeg

Albacore

Reaction score
RG finished 9th!!!!! Pretty damn rad!!
I thought that was pretty cool to do from last place start all the way up to nine. sounds like he got stuck in a traffic jam out there had to help somebody out just to get through probably could’ve been couple notches up. I know a couple Can-Am is finished right in front of him and I give them credit but they were nowhere near stock. I think the helicopter is going to be busy in the morning there’s a lot of shit broken down out there a lot more than the UTV race.

Fishd00d

Reaction score
Just talked to RG. He said he had a ton of fun today. That car he drove did 4 laps prerunning before he even got in it lol. He has some stuff in the works for next year at KOH and I look for him to be a serious contender in the 4400 class next year.......

He spent at least 40 min in Kings Veto trying to get the other guys flipped over and out of the way.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
I watched RG's interview, he did a good job with it. Obviously whipped (who wouldn't be). It was obvious he is impressed with Ultra4 racing, and finishing so well with no qualifying, no pre run, no time in the car is pretty stout. He help Vaughn G. get back on his wheels, and still did well.
He is a talented driver.
Vaughn Gittin's interview was crazy. His co driver got really sick early on, replaced by another guy, at least two flats, then the roll over, then they were "runover" by another racer, who "did a burnout on them" and doing so peeled the brake line off the exposed rear wheel. Then, tooling along with no brakes, after at least two flats, the throttle cable broke.
They did the last 15ish miles with a throttle cable modded with a key chain and giving them handle control of the throttle. Driver driving working throttle, passenger working shifter to down shift for slowing down...

One of the Gomez boys came in with the rear of his car gone, stablilzer flopping in the dirt. He said the car seemed sloppy in the rear,,,LOL

pixrthis

Reaction score
Nothing proves durability more than racing and KOH proves more than most other races so now Speed can fix whatever needs fixing. I’d venture to say that most customers will not be abusing their cars like that but it’s a great piece of mind to know that they can.

The video of the Can Am is impressive to say the least even with the scramble to find the winch line. We saw what looked like a team car to the Can Am race on Saturday against cars that weren’t SXS’s and it was hauling ass and among the fastest.

riverroyal2

Reaction score
SPEED ran out of cars to break, this one was a canam left overnight from yesterday and it was on the race course so it had to take a ride. For the record I have a speed car on order and the one I saw in person looked pretty good.
They put a Go-pro in the wrecked canam just for the flight… it should be a cool video edit coming
View attachment 1198272
View attachment 1198273 View attachment 1198271
anyone else notice this creative winch work? I hope I never need to to remember this picture

SeanRitchie

Reaction score
Sean on the gear that broke on the car that was flown out this morning was it a stronger material ? is The case the faulty item ? Or does it need a even stronger gear ? Just curious if adding more material to the case is the answer
I am not 100% positive, but I highly doubt any of the new gears are here yet. It was less than a week since we pointed the finger at heat treat. It would have taken a miracle to get new parts cut and heat treated in that amount of time. That would have been one of the transmissions that we took apart, inspected, made a few small adjustments and sent back to them.

For what it's worth, I have not performed a full Weddle race prep on any Speed trans like we do for the others (Polaris, Can-Am, Arctic Cat, etc.). I wanted to wait and see how the factory made parts held up without our involvement. I don't believe our race prep process (deburring, shotpeen, REM polish) would have made any difference on these.

SeanRitchie

Reaction score
What’s the weak link in the Pro R so far? I’m far from an expert but they look pretty stout.
They will destroy rear axles and CV joints. Too much power, tire size, and speed to keep those CV joints together. I helped replace RJ Andersons rear axles after the first lap of the Thursday race.

Front diffs will fall apart from the factory unless properly prepped. Wet clutch in trans that drives the front diff will wear down and lose it's preload, then spin without driving the front diff. I just prepped (4) sets of Pro-R drivetrain before the hammers.

baja-chris

Reaction score
Years ago we tried different heat treats on the rear end gears on my Class 8 truck (in addition to the normal race prep, debur etc.)
The Pro gears for drag racing were too soft and would wear too fast, the street gears were too hard and would chip.
A rockwell between the two turned out to be the cats meow. This was years before the big 10" gears were available for the 9".
I don't recall where they were heat treated but Mark Williams was helping and also had a spool we could not break.
Anyway I'm sure the guys at Weddle, RG etc will get this nailed.

baja-chris

Reaction score
They will destroy rear axles and CV joints. Too much power, tire size, and speed to keep those CV joints together. I helped replace RJ Andersons rear axles after the first lap of the Thursday race.

Front diffs will fall apart from the factory unless properly prepped. Wet clutch in trans that drives the front diff will wear down and lose it's preload, then spin without driving the front diff. I just prepped (4) sets of Pro-R drivetrain before the hammers.

Do you think any of this is needed for recreational use and modest speed prerunning SCORE courses with a driver that tries to make parts live instead of kill shit?

SeanRitchie

Reaction score
My question to speed is the gear set is either undersized with little support in the case. Or the casting was bad and missed in a QC check. Unfortunately this isn’t a one off situation. I’m glad they have a 2.0 version coming asap. But that mean even more delays, a common theme with speed.
Answer: Gears break when they aren't heat treated properly, or not to spec, or with improper material. I have not seen the heat treat spec sheet on these, nor have I seen the broken gears back here yet (should see them this week), so I cannot say what the exact issue is just yet.

The gears in these Speed UTV's are twice the size of any other UTV gearbox on the market. There was no reason for them to break or wear out with the amount of miles and use they have on them. The highest mileage gearbox I have seen from them had about 6000 miles on it, and the gears looked great.

Load these up against the rocks and stand on the gas trying to get over something, you find the weak links pretty quick.