WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

So if you were gonna open a restaraunt?

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
I had a great big restraunt back in the mid 90's lasted 11 months:thumbsdown the food was fantastic, atomosphere was off the hook. the place was massive 3 storys 30,000 sqft. 1st floor was fine dining, second floor was billards and cigars and the 3rd floor was a night club. The reality is it was to big a nut to cover and keep it classy, in order to make it work the night club would have had to gone ghetto fabulous and sold a shit pile of booze. If I had it to do over again in that location I would have nixed the fine dining and put a mechanical bull on the fist floor and blasted tehano music until the wee hours. Lesson learned the hard way, anyways I really enjoyed the work and day to day of running a resteraunt into the ground LOL. If i were to do it again (which I would like to) I'd go real small and focus on the food. Imagine a place where evrything on the menu is really good, italian, mexican, american, middle eastern, seafood all of which are the best you have ever had. You know how you go to different places for differnt things that are your favorite well i would like it all in one place, is that possible?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I don't think it's possible to mix genres of food like that and have it all be the best.. ??

You'd need 5 different head chefs! :D

RD

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
I like all those small intimate places where Guy Fierri (sp ) goes . Diners , Drive In and Dives , triple D !

PVHCA

Reaction score
IT CAN'T BE DONE!!!

Pick one theme and master it. Sandwiches. Burgers. Dogs/sausages. Have a gimmick, like Pat's and Geno's Cheesesteaks, or hell IN-N-OUT.

Just go get beer and hurry up, I'm dying.

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I've thought about opening a restaurant called, "Ukrainian Wedding". It would have to throw down with cabbage rolls, kielbasa, pierogies, pickled eggs, etc. ... oh yeah... and more hooch than a fish could drink.

I'm thinking it would have to be an $80 buffet.

As for your idea, I think the concept of multi ethnic dining is rock solid. The problem you're trying to solve is, the man who love seafood who dates the woman who loves vegan chocolate. ... or the kids who want fries and boiled wieners while the parents eat surf and turf.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Horrible investment unless your going to live there and work 14/7

I love cooking but would never ever consider a resturant. I think you would do much better catering or buying into the taco wagon truck deal with great food.

whiteworks

Reaction score
Here is one of the dishes i would want, every dish would need to be of this caliber.

[video=youtube;rqJq5Fy51Sw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqJq5Fy51Sw[/video]

RadMan

Throbbing Member
Reaction score
Make it a high quality Cafe and put high quality dishes on the menu, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Couple of those here in Austin that often have a line, been going for years and build new locations from time to time. Local veggies and some special beef dishes thrown in for fun, the locals love it and many of my guests want to go at least once when they are here.

Kerby Lane Cafe and Magnolia Cafe are the 2 standards in Austin for this if you want to check out their menus. These places stay busy.

ROC

lets have a beer
Reaction score
Fusion can be done succesfully. I haven't seen or heard of too manysuccesful restaurants that have more than two or three cuisines though.

There's a mexican/japanese one out here that I hear does good stuff.

As far as having five chefs? No. Not needed.

The problem with having a large menu with five or six cuisines is the amount of product you'll need on hand. Your dry storage, produce, beers, alcohol etc will be pretty extensive.

Beers from Mexico, U.S, , Middle east, Japan, china, italy etc.
Same with wines.

Storage, inventory and cross utilization of ingredients will be a challenge

whiteworks

Reaction score
Horrible investment unless your going to live there and work 14/7

I love cooking but would never ever consider a resturant. I think you would do much better catering or buying into the taco wagon truck deal with great food.

Kickass reseraunts turn good numbers, When I had my place there was a big event held in the city for the weekend (captive audiance) we did $90K in 3 days. unfortunately I was unable to do that consistantly in that location.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Someone opened a sushi restruant here in downtown glendora, and the place had been Packed since day one.

Who ever did it, did it right. I'd have to guess they have others just like it somewhere else.

There have been two or three other restruants in this same location, that lasted about all of six months. This one aint goin away.

Mondorally

Reaction score
Ate at Lazy Dog cafe last night. They've probably come as close as I've seen to having mixed menus success. Between the four of us we had

Moroccan Chicken with Couscous
TexMex Salad
Kung Pao Chicken (I think.... it was something Chinese looking :D)
Pastrami Sandwich

All good, no complaints.

http://www.lazydogcafe.com/

RaceTec

Reaction score
I would think more along the lines of theme nights, then incorperate the top sellers from each night into your regular menu... That would help address the issues that ROC mentioned and also the people that like a specific food can get their fix on that day... Also make sure there is a good kids menu if you want it to be a family joint! LOTS of booze too, its a money maker!

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I think owning a profitable restaurant would be great. I just don't want to work at or manage one. :D

Mandy's concept:

The restaurant would be divided into three parts. Imagine a donut, or a tire. Divide it like this: Left side, right side and the middle.

Left side: Family dining. Kids allowed.

Middle: Kid zone. Thick glass walls. Games, Movies, climbing stuff, foam balls. One way glass. Safety monitors/baby sitters to keep an eye on the kids. Parents can see in...kids can't see out. Eating area.

Right side: Adults only. No kids. Higher end food, soft music, fish tanks and ferns, liquor and wine. Seating arranged so parents can keep an eye on the kids...but not have to hear them.

So you can go out to dinner with the kids, drop them off on the way into the restaurant and not have to pay a baby sitter.

Kind of like a Chuck E cheese or Dave and Busters, but nicer....and quieter.

:thumbsup

PVHCA

Reaction score
Fusion can be done succesfully. I haven't seen or heard of too manysuccesful restaurants that have more than two or three cuisines though.

There's a mexican/japanese one out here that I hear does good stuff.

As far as having five chefs? No. Not needed.

The problem with having a large menu with five or six cuisines is the amount of product you'll need on hand. Your dry storage, produce, beers, alcohol etc will be pretty extensive.

Beers from Mexico, U.S, , Middle east, Japan, china, italy etc.
Same with wines.

Storage, inventory and cross utilization of ingredients will be a challenge

What the hell do you know, LOL!!

I'd guess controling inventory/waste would be very hard having so many cuisines!

I'm thirsty WW!! On the last 1!!!

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
We have this place in Phoenix, its Chineese and Mexican food mixed together. Crazy, you can get a orange ckicken Burrito with Refried beans.

http://chinobandido.com/

This place is the bomb!! Last time I was there I had a sweet and sour chicken burrito, jerk chicken fried rice, and black beans!

In general, I don't think it's wise to offer a one stop shop for anything you'd like to eat... I prefer smaller places that have a speciality that they are good at.

Even if one restaurant could offer the type of food I was in the mood for and all of the food was top notch, I still would go to different places to for a change of scenery from time to time.

ChinoBandido is an inexpensive place and a bit of a dive, but it works because it's unique and the food is good. Having said that, there are better Mexican food and Chinese food options than CB, but I go there for the novelty as much as anything else.

maxwedge

(Maximus Wedge-i-mus)
Reaction score
Can't really go wrong with a combination of good food, Hot waitresses, Skanky Bartenders, and cheap alcohol.:D

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score

I would imagine it would be tough to have a complete menu in a number of ethnicities. That could get pretty wild.

Have you ever been to the Carnival World Buffet at the Rio Suites hotel in Vegas? That place is wild. I think we paid about $75 per seat. It's the most expansive dining experience I've ever seen. They must have had a dozen complete buffets of different ethnic styles. ... and then they had a few desert buffets. I was sick for two days after that. We crawled back to the hotel and made a point of not moving other than to crack a window.

Cole Trickle

Reaction score
Kickass reseraunts turn good numbers, When I had my place there was a big event held in the city for the weekend (captive audiance) we did $90K in 3 days. unfortunately I was unable to do that consistantly in that location.

Thats the issue....

Also you need a small overhead and cheap rent.

I think it can be done in certain locations with a small footprint. Keep the menu simple and really do a good job with quality using fresh ingredients.

I think there is $$$$ to be made but once again you go back to the schedule. There is no way that the owners/chefs of succesfull cafes spend a whole lot of time at home or with there family.

The resturant is there family/life

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
It would be cool to go on a ROC's reality tour for a day or two and try to keep up with ROC. :cool:

whiteworks

Reaction score
95% failure rate of start up restaurants. If I did it again the food would have to be to die for.

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
Roach Coach :thumbsup

I though it would be great idea to have one in college. Park it infront of Fraternity Row @ San Diego State Thurs-Sat Nights :champagne:

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
Ate at Lazy Dog cafe last night. They've probably come as close as I've seen to having mixed menus success. Between the four of us we had

Moroccan Chicken with Couscous
TexMex Salad
Kung Pao Chicken (I think.... it was something Chinese looking :D)
Pastrami Sandwich

All good, no complaints.

http://www.lazydogcafe.com/

That place is great...but huge risk.

My ex-GF was in the bar/restaurant business, back in the day she had a meeting with the owners of Lazy Dog. According to her, for the first one off Beach Blvd., the owner sunk $1 million into it before the doors had even opened.

The Yard House also has a pretty diverse menu, and is a wild success :thumbsup

FOCKER

Reaction score
SEND ME THE MONEY U WERE GOING TO INVEST AND ILL LEND IT TO FRANK MCCOURT. YOU HAVE BETTER CHANCES OF MAKING A PROFIT AND WORST ILL GET U SOME DODGER TICKETS.

rvrmom

Reaction score
I think owning a profitable restaurant would be great. I just don't want to work at or manage one. :D

Mandy's concept:

The restaurant would be divided into three parts. Imagine a donut, or a tire. Divide it like this: Left side, right side and the middle.

Left side: Family dining. Kids allowed.

Middle: Kid zone. Thick glass walls. Games, Movies, climbing stuff, foam balls. One way glass. Safety monitors/baby sitters to keep an eye on the kids. Parents can see in...kids can't see out. Eating area.

Right side: Adults only. No kids. Higher end food, soft music, fish tanks and ferns, liquor and wine. Seating arranged so parents can keep an eye on the kids...but not have to hear them.

So you can go out to dinner with the kids, drop them off on the way into the restaurant and not have to pay a baby sitter.

Kind of like a Chuck E cheese or Dave and Busters, but nicer....and quieter.

:thumbsup

That right there is an awesome idea :thumbsup I've always wondered why restaurants wouldn't do this maybe insuranc?. It's kinda like the Ikea of dining drop the rugrats off and shop er eat in this case.

I think the fancy roach coach would be a great idea those things and crazy popular. I think there is someone on the boards starting one in Vegas.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
It would involve dim lighting and brass rails. The food would be questionable at best and would be entirely beside the point. :boobeyes::D

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
It would involve dim lighting and brass rails. The food would be questionable at best and would be entirely beside the point. :boobeyes::D

1001_strip-club-DJ.jpg

Lets not forget about the Champagne R:boobeyes:m :champagne:

stoker22405

Reaction score
I had a great big restraunt back in the mid 90's lasted 11 months:thumbsdown the food was fantastic, atomosphere was off the hook. the place was massive 3 storys 30,000 sqft. 1st floor was fine dining, second floor was billards and cigars and the 3rd floor was a night club. The reality is it was to big a nut to cover and keep it classy, in order to make it work the night club would have had to gone ghetto fabulous and sold a shit pile of booze. If I had it to do over again in that location I would have nixed the fine dining and put a mechanical bull on the fist floor and blasted tehano music until the wee hours. Lesson learned the hard way, anyways I really enjoyed the work and day to day of running a resteraunt into the ground LOL. If i were to do it again (which I would like to) I'd go real small and focus on the food. Imagine a place where evrything on the menu is really good, italian, mexican, american, middle eastern, seafood all of which are the best you have ever had. You know how you go to different places for differnt things that are your favorite well i would like it all in one place, is that possible?

How old were you when You had this rest.?

Ryphraph

Reaction score
Someone opened a sushi restruant here in downtown glendora, and the place had been Packed since day one.

Who ever did it, did it right. I'd have to guess they have others just like it somewhere else.

There have been two or three other restruants in this same location, that lasted about all of six months. This one aint goin away.

Is it Sushi N I? (spelling) I like that place too.

Ryph

Faceaz

Reaction score
Number #1 investment to go South. Obviously some succeed but it's a tough market.

My wife always watches that Kitchen Nightmares show. Not that it really means much, but seems the #1 thing he does is neck down the menu, make it simple enough that the chefs don't get overwhelmed & can concentrate on quality.

lebel409

Reaction score
Mandelon.

I agree with your concept... I thought circular, nice upstairs with a bar looking down on a greasy pizza place with a ball pit and a large dressed rat.

As far as mixed cuisines...within a context. You could do a comfort food...mexican/american/german/italian. Or mexican including other influences...teriyaki chicken burrito for instance.

My fantasy would be to have a pentagon shaped bar, bourbon, tequila, wine, beer, scotch, and each have a stage facing the bar. Rotate the musical acts related to the bars. Better yet, next door have a laundrymat and barber...

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I'll post this before someone else does:

Maybe someone hasn't heard it yet.

How do you make a small fortune owning a restaurant?

Start with a large fortune. :D

shueman

Reaction score
Roach Coach...:thumbsup Better, a 5th Wheel cookery and take your menu to where you want to go/be...:champagne:

Breakfast...everyone loves breakfast...and still have the afternoon off for boating...:cool:

dancudmore

Reaction score

Same way to make a fortune in boating or drag racing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IN AWE

I'm surounded by assholes
Reaction score
That place is great...but huge risk.

My ex-GF was in the bar/restaurant business, back in the day she had a meeting with the owners of Lazy Dog. According to her, for the first one off Beach Blvd., the owner sunk $1 million into it before the doors had even opened.

The Yard House also has a pretty diverse menu, and is a wild success :thumbsup

A huge amount of the money came from private investors, Paid back in a specific time with intrest.

Risky?...... yes

Paid of? .......in months

Personally I think that Lazy Dog has turned into a yuppie type joint. I used to go before the hype, kinnda like B.J.'s and Yardhouse.

whiteworks

Reaction score

Been there done that, no bueno:thumbsdown
Roach Coach...:thumbsup Better, a 5th Wheel cookery and take your menu to where you want to go/be...:champagne:

Breakfast...everyone loves breakfast...and still have the afternoon off for boating...:cool:

Ive thought about doing a mobile deal for a while, do LA county fair for a month and take the rest of the year off. If you have the goods at the fair its crazy fast money. Your looking at 70-150K to build a dynamic setup, has to be original and dynamic to get in and then cornicopia has there hand in your pocket on beverages. On top of that then you end up chasing the fairs to bring it home and recoup your inital investmestment, rough gig but can be lucrative.

Cigalert

Banned
Reaction score
Just let me know if you're serious...we can do a socal kitchen world tour.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
Been there done that, no bueno:thumbsdown

Ive thought about doing a mobile deal for a while, do LA county fair for a month and take the rest of the year off. If you have the goods at the fair its crazy fast money. Your looking at 70-150K to build a dynamic setup, has to be original and dynamic to get in and then cornicopia has there hand in your pocket on beverages. On top of that then you end up chasing the fairs to bring it home and recoup your inital investmestment, rough gig but can be lucrative.

My daughter wants me to build her an old ice cream man van on air bags....and sell Hawaiin Shave ice and smoothies. Some crazy graphics, pull up to a crowd somewhere, rev your motor all hot rod loud...lay frame and make cash......:thumbsup I'm thinking Captain's Call Exhaust on it....:skull

Ejbreeze

Reaction score

Location..Location..Location. Multi-level establishments are dumb. Don't do it. Insurance and wasted square footage are going to cost you. Ethnic menus are going to make it even harder. Figure out what the consumer wants to eat in the area and do it bigger and better.

whiteworks

Reaction score
Just let me know if you're serious...we can do a socal kitchen world tour.

I am sorta serious but all over the place with a concept at this point. It has to gold if I am gonna do it, the halal guys in NYC have it going on, I'd guess they are doing 5-10k a night, never seen anything like it people lined up until 4am.

Just got back from 5 guys burger joint, they are taking money pretty heavy right now, however I am pretty sure I dropped off at least 3 of the guys at the pool for there swim lesson when I got home:D. Its a once every 6 months place at best and i'm thinking the frenzy will die down in a few months.