WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

RV Sales 2023

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
All of these configurations are available because everyone’s needs and wants and finances are different. 🤷‍♂️
Even the needs and wants of spouses are different.

I'm happiest with a truck camper, the wife likes more than that.

I don't like driving our 43 Revolution LE DP. It is nice when it is set up, but the rest of the experience is a drag. It's going to stay in AZ next year and possibly get swapped for a 5th wheel if it makes sense.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Even the needs and wants of spouses are different.

I'm happiest with a truck camper, the wife likes more than that.

I don't like driving our 43 Revolution LE DP. It is nice when it is set up, but the rest of the experience is a drag. It's going to stay in AZ next year and possibly get swapped for a 5th wheel if it makes sense.
I find driving the 42’ allegro bus much easier to drive than the 38’ 5er with a crew F-350. Not as tense at the end of a long drive.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
I find driving the 42’ allegro bus much easier to drive than the 38’ 5er with a crew F-350. Not as tense at the end of a long drive.
Same… my 43’ American coach revolution is like driving a Cadillac. Crazy that SW has a rough time with his… I’d bet something has to be off with suspension or what not. Started with a 34’ gasser (nightmare drive) went to 39’ discover DP (much better) then the 43 and was amazed at how great it drove. Not sure if it’s the tag or the heavier chassis etc. also the 43 is on a Spartan chassis.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
I like my F350 with a fifth wheel setup. I had a 40' WW toyhauler but now my Glamis days are over.
Daughters both grown, my Son just went into the Air Force. If we do go the other Rivers or Lakes,
other than Parker, We just take the GF's exployer to haul the Sea Doos. It's work out well for us.

Another great thing about a 5th wheel, the inside layout, a motorhome doesn't have the great views
a 5er has, plus you have the use of the truck.. So many options out there.

1691766202983.png

Cdog

Reaction score
With the way we RV a motor home won’t work. We enjoy exploring & seeing things where we go so we wouldn’t be able to take toys unless we towed a trailer and a car to get around. At that point a 5th wheel still makes more sense considering I’m always going to have a truck anyway.

Spudsbud

Reaction score
So, what is the takeaway of this thread for buyers? Do we wait longer or act now?

I would love a motorhome but also a toy hauler. This will carry us all over the place. Beach, desert, river, national parks, etc. We rented a motorhome twice and it was great. But, when we drove thru Zion and other places, it sucked not having a car to drive around. Granted, we could pull a car behind a motor home, what if I want desert toys? Then I need to buy a motorhome and a trailer? I dont have space for both, so that takes me back to the toyhauler route.

I know jack about them...Last one we had was a brand new Weekend Warrior 32ft bumper pull back in 2007. I love the Grand Design/Momentum ones, but way more than I want to spend. There are a lot of nice ones out there that just seem insanely priced....Do you buy used or new...This thread has left me with so many questions LOL
Rent a few ...... then decide

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
With the way we RV a motor home won’t work. We enjoy exploring & seeing things where we go so we wouldn’t be able to take toys unless we towed a trailer and a car to get around. At that point a 5th wheel still makes more sense considering I’m always going to have a truck anyway.

Motorhome / toad / bike rack / e bikes..

69hondo

Reaction score
Rent a few different ones and see whats best for you.
We have had all of them. Travel trailer, toy hauler, gas class C, gas class A and just moved to a decent DP class A. they were all great for what we were doing at the time.

I dont get the wait and see what prices do unless you are planning on waiting a year or two but then you miss out on all that fun and memories. And for what to save a few thousand. Money isn't everything and my time with the family is worth way more than any savings on an RV.

Last edited:

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Rent a few different ones and see whats best for you.
We have had all of them. Travel trailer, toy hauler, gas class C, gas class A and just moved to a decent DP class A. they were all great for what we were doing at the time.

I dont get the wait and see what prices do unless you are planning on waiting a year or two but then you miss out on all that fun and memories. And for what to save a few thousand. Money isn't everything and my time with the family is worth way more than any savings on an RV.
I always go back and forth on this! I've always tried to buy at the right time, and sell at the right time... etc etc... it is what has allowed me to upgrade my setups over the years to where I am now. But even when I look back to 10+ years ago when I purchased our first motorhome and my first sandcar..... It was never an easy decision to make financially, because these hobbies never really pencil out on paper.... but the memories made over the last 10 years are priceless.... and the biggest factor of that is the kiddos.... 10 years ago they were 2 and a newborn baby.... now I have one going into highschool and the youngest in 6th grade 🥺. needless to say, I always get the urge to sell my stuff once in a while to "make my money back" or put it in an acct and earn 5%...... BUT the memories and experiences with the fam/ kiddos & friends has me holding on to things now longer than I would before.
2255.jpg
53850231_10218378521800176_2081548130410561536_n.jpg
IMG_3604.JPG
IMG_7998.jpg
IMG_6607.JPG

Last edited:

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Same… my 43’ American coach revolution is like driving a Cadillac. Crazy that SW has a rough time with his… I’d bet something has to be off with suspension or what not. Started with a 34’ gasser (nightmare drive) went to 39’ discover DP (much better) then the 43 and was amazed at how great it drove. Not sure if it’s the tag or the heavier chassis etc. also the 43 is on a Spartan chassis.
Mine's been abused. Suspension and steering were on this year's list of blood donations, but I'm still giving blood to my ISL Cummins. I think I have had two trips in the last two years without a check engine light. I moved it 5 miles last month and got a new check engine light I need to fix now.

Currently, I have the service compartment ripped apart replacing the black valve, fixing water lines, and general repair of the fuckery the last owner committed. The good news is I am not naive about RV inspections, repair, and cost of ownership.

It is amazing how poorly these things are built. Now that we are not full-time in the RV fixing stuff seems easier, because I can walk away from it when I get pissed off.

The reason we are considering a 5th wheel is that it will never leave the Islander. I will pay them to move it from storage to the spot. I want something smaller for real camping. That bus is not camping, however, I've not taken it to Glamis or the Hammers, maybe this winter we will do that and it will change my perception.

Pre Smog equipment would be high on my list if doing this again. I should have stuck with my wish for 2007 or older.

EmpirE231

Reaction score
Mine's been abused. Suspension and steering were on this year's list of blood donations, but I'm still giving blood to my ISL Cummins. I think I have had two trips in the last two years without a check engine light. I moved it 5 miles last month and got a new check engine light I need to fix now.

Currently, I have the service compartment ripped apart replacing the black valve, fixing water lines, and general repair of the fuckery the last owner committed. The good news is I am not naive about RV inspections, repair, and cost of ownership.

It is amazing how poorly these things are built. Now that we are not full-time in the RV fixing stuff seems easier, because I can walk away from it when I get pissed off.

The reason we are considering a 5th wheel is that it will never leave the Islander. I will pay them to move it from storage to the spot. I want something smaller for real camping. That bus is not camping, however, I've not taken it to Glamis or the Hammers, maybe this winter we will do that and it will change my perception.

Pre Smog equipment would be high on my list if doing this again. I should have stuck with my wish for 2007 or older.
is yours on a spartan chassis?

yeah they definitely all have their problems.... regardless of how nice they look, they are all built and slapped together pretty poorly...unless maybe you end up with a newell or liberty prevost etc. I've already had to replace the DEF head, tank valves... an inverter... batteries are next etc... this kind crap is part of the territory unfortunately... But one thing I did love about this one was the way it drives! super easy and comfortable to drive.

if it's staying stationary a 5th wheel is the way to go. With the sandcar thing, most are too wide and too long to fit into any sort of 5th wheel, and that is not including all the kids toys and other things we need to bring out when staying in the desert for a week... so a motorhome with a trailer is the way to go for that.

Justfishing

Reaction score
Was reading astory this week. The average price at the auctions were up. Turns out brand new 2022 units were showing up with plastic still on the cushions. So brand new units were skewing the average price.

Dealers will be having 2024s coming in. Dealers cutting prices on new will flow to the used market

c_land

Reaction score
So, what is the takeaway of this thread for buyers? Do we wait longer or act now?

I would love a motorhome but also a toy hauler. This will carry us all over the place. Beach, desert, river, national parks, etc. We rented a motorhome twice and it was great. But, when we drove thru Zion and other places, it sucked not having a car to drive around. Granted, we could pull a car behind a motor home, what if I want desert toys? Then I need to buy a motorhome and a trailer? I dont have space for both, so that takes me back to the toyhauler route.

I know jack about them...Last one we had was a brand new Weekend Warrior 32ft bumper pull back in 2007. I love the Grand Design/Momentum ones, but way more than I want to spend. There are a lot of nice ones out there that just seem insanely priced....Do you buy used or new...This thread has left me with so many questions LOL

I just made a deposit on a motorhome so prices should be coming down here shortly…. You’re welcome. 😂

One2go

Reaction score
I was looking for a specific motorhome for 8 months straight in early 22’ they were holding on prices and I didn’t want to over pay knowing we would see a slow down. I finally found the “one” and had a deposit sight unseen 1 hour after I saw it listed. The dealer was selling on consignment at $260, I offered $220 the owner came back at $230 and I said sorry final offer at $225 and he accepted. The crazy thing is after I bought I’ve been still looking at ones that come for sale thinking I’d see a huge price drop but it hasn’t happened on these Entegras, they are still holding at 250+ for a 2016 or newer. If prices drop it’s all good since this is the one for us and I bought it with 12,000 miles so it should last the next 10 years for us.
View attachment 1261656 View attachment 1261657 View attachment 1261658 That's nice rig. Ivebeen watching these Entengra's as well. Seem to be staying up there price wise. Hopefully find one in price range you did !
Nice rig!! Been watching these as well. Hopefully can find deal like that. Want private party so no sales tax

Last edited:

77charger

Reaction score
One doesn’t fit all pick what works best for you and go from there. Right now have a toy hauler. Had a cabover for 8 years we got the most out of that I used it for doing race pics at boat drags could print inside etc,then for pulling boat to river or general camping. Kids outgrew it and eventually sold it.

The toy hauler used for glamis but negatives couldn’t take boat along with it and seems it takes a while to pack up

Now wife doesn’t go as much son now works and it’s mostly me doing trips and hauler is my only thing I have now. Now wish I sold the toy hauler kept the camper and get a flatbed for buggy. Pack up in 5 min and gone.

As for rv for me it’s another vehicle with an engine to maintain.and the biggest negative for us is glamis right now we park about 3/4 mile off the road in soft sand and no way it’s going to get there and I don’t want to park in the ghetto washes or open my door and hit the neighbors on gecko rd. I need 4wd. But for someone else that may be perfect.

yz450mm

Reaction score
All RV’s are piles of shit and pains in the ass.

Pick your poison and go have fun.

We just bought our first 5th wheel. Hooking and unhooking is night and day quicker and easier than a pumper pull.
Just make sure you visually see the jaws hooked around the pin before you take off, and even better is to do a pull test before you fully retract the landing gear. Once you set it on the truck, but before you pull up the gear, get into the truck and put it in gear while holding the trailer brakes at full tilt.

Give it a little tug, just to make sure the pin is engaged. If it fails with the gear still down, it will land on the gear and not fuck your truck bed up.

702sandman

Reaction score
You don’t have to pay sales tax if you have the LLC?
Yes that’s correct. There’s a couple caveat’s that I’ve heard are sometimes difficult and relate to California mainly. If you have a llc and live in California they say you can’t have your vehicle there for 1 year for some reason, I don’t live in Cali so never looked into why that is. The next item is I heard not many banks will finance your motorhome if it’s in a llc for some reason, I’ve been lucky there and haven’t had to look into that either. So if you don’t live in Cali and don’t finance it’s so easy and has huge benefits. On my 07’ fleetwood discovery I sold my annual fee and registration was $330 per year, on this 2016’ Entegra I received my registration and it was $1000 this time so I asked my attorney up there why the increase and he said Montana implemented a luxury fee ($700) on vehicles with a msrp of over $300k lol. Still a smoking deal but they are definitely getting wise to everyone registering up there and getting some extra Fee for it. I’ve had mine with Bennet law offices since 06’ and have mainly used it for my bigger enclosed trailers, boats and rv’s. If you need contact info let me know. Also on another item I have Allstate insurance and I have them list my llc as a additional insured to cover the montana vehicles.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Just make sure you visually see the jaws hooked around the pin before you take off, and even better is to do a pull test before you fully retract the landing gear. Once you set it on the truck, but before you pull up the gear, get into the truck and put it in gear while holding the trailer brakes at full tilt.

Give it a little tug, just to make sure the pin is engaged. If it fails with the gear still down, it will land on the gear and not fuck your truck bed up.
I have held a commercial class A so I’m up to speed in tug tests.

Funny thing is that’s how I found my issue with the brakes🤣

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
is yours on a spartan chassis?

yeah they definitely all have their problems.... regardless of how nice they look, they are all built and slapped together pretty poorly...unless maybe you end up with a newell or liberty prevost etc. I've already had to replace the DEF head, tank valves... an inverter... batteries are next etc... this kind crap is part of the territory unfortunately... But one thing I did love about this one was the way it drives! super easy and comfortable to drive.

if it's staying stationary a 5th wheel is the way to go. With the sandcar thing, most are too wide and too long to fit into any sort of 5th wheel, and that is not including all the kids toys and other things we need to bring out when staying in the desert for a week... so a motorhome with a trailer is the way to go for that.
Yes, Spartin Chassis and a Tag. If not for DPF, everything else was the most desirable stuff on my list. 15K towing etc 42k floor plan.

It will likely be as good as new by the time I'm done. I have a habit of fixing everything and then selling stuff. Honestly, I think it is in my nature to find stuff that needs fixing. If I could find someone to tune it, I would just delete the DPF and I'm sure it would perform better.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
You don’t have to pay sales tax if you have the LLC?
I had to pay AZ sales tax from Rowley Wright in Mesa but was a “island city” and was only 600. My trailer is in my Montana LLC and it’s financed.