WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question, how long should a n/a 1000 hp big block last in a trophy truck

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
How long should a 1000+ hp big block in a TT last? How many miles, races, seasons?

This is all assuming that this is a high hp race motor that is meticulously maintained with complete fluid flushed and top end inspections.

These motors are typically 60k or more so how long would you expect it to last?

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Well, I've seen both Gordon and "Ironman" Stewart make it less than 50 miles due to temp issues :(

Both were cooling system failures.
Maybe the modern stuff is super badass, but it's still racing and an un-Godly beating. I don't know what the motors themselves would last, the periphery seems to be the killers.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Well, I've seen both Gordon and "Ironman" Stewart make it less than 50 miles due to temp issues :(

Both were cooling system failures.
Maybe the modern stuff is super badass, but it's still racing and an un-Godly beating. I don't know what the motors themselves would last, the periphery seems to be the killers.
Cooling system, oil pump (dry sump) and coolers are all done properly. With correct size lines and locations. This chassis when it was a 6100 truck and a ls3 won races. Now it’s DNF to motor failures

wallnutz

Reaction score
Cooling system, oil pump (dry sump) and coolers are all done properly. With correct size lines and locations. This chassis when it was a 6100 truck and a ls3 won races. Now it’s DNF to motor failures
Who built the motor? I know of on Dougans big block that has gone awhile

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
It's like a boat. Depends on the quality of the engine build and how hard it is run.

If it's being wound to 8,000 on every shift with aggressive throttle input, I wouldn't expect it to last more than a couple of races. However, if its being run smart and shifted at reasonable RPMs, a good LS3 build should last a while if it is also well maintained.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Patiently waiting for the answer. 🤣 have there been multiple failures and is the failure the same every time or are we talking catastrophic failure? Inquiring minds want to know.

baja-chris

Reaction score
1000 miles between rebuilds. Should be able to do the 250, 500, 400. Then refresh before and after the 1000.
They are used up on a peninsula run.
And the driver matters. Use the torque, no reason to buz it to redline every shift for 20 hours.

El Rojo

Reaction score
It's like a boat. Depends on the quality of the engine build and how hard it is run.

If it's being wound to 8,000 on every shift with aggressive throttle input, I wouldn't expect it to last more than a couple of races. However, if its being run smart and shifted at reasonable RPMs, a good LS3 build should last a while if it is also well maintained.
In order to get the 1,000hp out of it you'd have to run it 8,000 RPM's prob...

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
If it’s built right, it should last as long as the air is clean and the oil is cooled and it doesn’t exceed the limits of its design or materials.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Patiently waiting for the answer. 🤣 have there been multiple failures and is the failure the same every time or are we talking catastrophic failure? Inquiring minds want to know.
Yes catastrophic failures dropped valves, spun bearings and more. Also this isn’t just one time we are on 4 DNF in a row due to motors I believe.
In order to get the 1,000hp out of it you'd have to run it 8,000 RPM's prob...
Correct redline is 8200 and it gets there. Driver is not crazy hard on equipment this is a privateer in TT so replacing motors is not in his racing budget
Typically they get torn down after every 1000 race. Normally that is around 1500 total miles, if they look good they get a re-ring and go back out.
motor comes out every race for full chassis inspection and tranny service
no

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
Yes catastrophic failures dropped valves, spun bearings and more. Also this isn’t just one time we are on 4 DNF in a row due to motors I believe.

Correct redline is 8200 and it gets there. Driver is not crazy hard on equipment this is a privateer in TT so replacing motors is not in his racing budget

no
If you’re getting catastrophic failures, either you have an oil control problem or a build problem (parts or materials prep) such as incorrect valve train setup or your oil clearances need to be larger.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
IMG_3313.gif

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score

no
When the motor is cracked for inspection, what failures or wear points are being witnessed? On the valve issues, are the heads torn down, or just junked? Dropping valves due to guide gauling and heat is different than retainer failure. Are the bearings showing wear, scoring or heat?

Mikes56

Reaction score
Bill Staats of Staats Comstruction in Santa Clarita used to race a TT. He had a guy named Greg do all the prepping. Bill’s a really nice guy and I’m sure would be up for a phone call asking him some questions.

Cooter01

Reaction score
A lot depends on quality of parts, the driver, maintenance program, chassis/truck setup. You can have the best of the best and go 1 mile or 1,000 miles. Too many variables. In a perfect world with using good quality parts and fluids I would inspect the engine after each race, compression check, pull the valve covers to inspect the springs and run it.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
When the motor is cracked for inspection, what failures or wear points are being witnessed? On the valve issues, are the heads torn down, or just junked? Dropping valves due to guide gauling and heat is different than retainer failure. Are the bearings showing wear, scoring or heat?
The new BB hasn’t made it to a post race inspection it’s toast before there. I don’t know the details on each failure. I’ve been told bearings, valves, main caps. I forget the last one.

When it was the ls3 that would go to redline as it’s a sealed motor.

oldboatsrule

Reaction score
Do you run a data logger? Would be interesting to see rpm vs wheel speed. Repetitive dropping valves sounds like an over rev issue.

Lowering the Rev limiter wouldn't hurt. I can't see where an off road truck needs to be pinned at 8k+

Deckin Around

Reaction score
Racing to Finish or racing to win? 1 score season 2500miles max at best If you aren’t killing it.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Do you run a data logger? Would be interesting to see rpm vs wheel speed. Repetitive dropping valves sounds like an over rev issue.

Lowering the Rev limiter wouldn't hurt. I can't see where an off road truck needs to be pinned at 8k+
Yes it does. This is not my truck so I doubt I’ll see it.

I bet it spends most of its life above 4K

oldboatsrule

Reaction score
To me it sounds like it's getting the shit wringed outta it. (Think offshore boat with the throttleman on vacation)

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
What kind of valve train? How much lift? How many inches? Shit happens but 4 in a row sounds like you have Finnigans engine builder doing the work.
Don’t know the details of that
Racing to Finish or racing to win? 1 score season 2500miles max at best If you aren’t killing it.
well for Vegas to Reno he was running 5th until the motor blew
To me it sounds like it's getting the shit wringed outta it. (Think offshore boat with the throttleman on vacation)
it is racing. Trophy truck. Racing to win

Reactions: DLC

Romans9

Reaction score
Lots of cheap BB Chevy parts floating around.

You have to be very careful buying bearings, valvetrain parts.
One of the local engine builders for pulling trucks has gotten hold of what appeared to be repackaged low quality valves, springs, and bearings.
Loosing that many seems suspicious if your builder is reputable…………

pixrthis

Reaction score
Parts failure, machining mistakes, assembly mistakes, driver mistakes, injesting dust, I’m surprised a 1000 hp BB would finish an off road race more than not.

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
Parts failure, machining mistakes, assembly mistakes, driver mistakes, injesting dust, I’m surprised a 1000 hp BB would finish an off road race more than not.
All the trucks now are 1000+ hp big blocks.

Wizard29

43' Eliminator
Reaction score
it is racing. Trophy truck. Racing to win

Well on that note, I'll refer to what Gary Teague told me about my boat when I bought it...Twin 1200HP 572s with Whipples. He said that if I take it reasonably easy, the engines would last quite some time. However, he also said, "If you run it like a race boat, expect to maintain it like one."

If your driver is winging that thing to 8K on a regular basis, it seems like he's learning the limitations of the equipment.

DRYHEAT

Reaction score
Think it might be time to find another engine builder that a reputable team that finishes uses. If you still can’t finish a race, I would have to say it might be a driver problem.🤣 sorry, you have to finish to even have a chance at winning.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
The new BB hasn’t made it to a post race inspection it’s toast before there. I don’t know the details on each failure. I’ve been told bearings, valves, main caps. I forget the last one.

When it was the ls3 that would go to redline as it’s a sealed motor.
Morbid curiosity of motors I've killed have helped me learn a lot...expensively, but still learned. As others have mentioned, tolerances are a big deal depending on the goal of the motor. Most everything I've done makes decent power, but short sprints repeatedly. I know enough to know I don't know how to keep a monster alive.

Just like there are a handful of big names in boat motors, there are the same for other motorsports as well. Heck, I was surprised to find out there were shops that specialized in monster truck engines, 1500-2000hp on methanol, but left to go all season. I don't know the program or the builder, but there seems to be some things that need working on. As a person that used to be around the stuff, I know there is a lot of time and money invested other than the truck itself. It's truly disheartening to get to the race, and get the dnf due to equipment failure.

gqchris

Reaction score
One of my clients Sons races Trophy Spec class. It seems that they are always breaking shit. I cant even imagine the money spent, but its all a tax write off for them.

Last edited:

rrrr

Reaction score
Those type of failures are going to occur occasionally, but when it happens four times, something is not right. I would expect a builder to perform a complete review of methods and materials after number two shit the bed, and have answers for the customer.