WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Question, how long should a n/a 1000 hp big block last in a trophy truck

LakeMeadLavey

Reaction score
Had a good good friend who raced TT back in the early thru late 2000s with a Geiser truck. They were running Leon Patton engines out of Hemet. I don't recall them ever having a motor failure and refresh was about 1000mi.

Several top TT guys were running Patton engines and back then they were Nascar based Ford small blocks making 800hp. Not sure if Patton is still around but back then those motors were $60k+. Stupid money running a TT operation.

As others have said 4 DNF motor failures I'd be finding a new builder ASAP.

LakeMeadLavey

Reaction score
Had a good good friend who raced TT back in the early thru late 2000s with a Geiser truck. They were running Leon Patton engines out of Hemet. I don't recall them ever having a motor failure and refresh was about 1000mi.

Several top TT guys were running Patton engines and back then they were Nascar based Ford small blocks making 800hp. Not sure if Patton is still around but back then those motors were $60k+. Stupid money running a TT operation.

As others have said 4 DNF motor failures I'd be finding a new builder ASAP.
Looks like Patton is still building motors. Cool article on him from 2017. https://www.enginelabs.com/news/engine-builder-spotlight-patton-racing-engines/

rrrr

Reaction score
This thread has brought inmates out of the shadows that I wasn't aware of. It's been very interesting reading their comments. The only exposure I've had to TT racing was as a pit observer invitee to the Mint 400, and that was more than 25 years ago.

Thanks for the education on the bullets.

rcmike

Reaction score
When we pulled the regional motor out, and put the old "Nationals" motor in my vintage car, we called the old crew chief to ask if anything special needed to be done.

"Well, we ran it at the national races, redline 8200 or so and it ran forever. When we ran it at Road Atlanta for the runoffs, and the builder was right down the street, redline 9000 and more if needed to finish a pass, and it came out every night to get looked through. And they thought there was no such thing as too much new oil.."

This is on a motor that is not taking the massive shock loads, although there are like 3 times a lap you can get the tires off the ground at Road Atlanta, and it was running in 35 minute races. There are no rev limiters in the car, so if you hold your foot down, its going there..

I am not going to vouch for a builder, but I can most definitely say that the driver has a lot to do with mechanical survival.

2Driver

Reaction score
This thread has brought inmates out of the shadows that I wasn't aware of. It's been very interesting reading their comments. The only exposure I've had to TT racing was as a pit observer invitee to the Mint 400, and that was more than 25 years ago.

Thanks for the education on the bullets.

…and you get a sense how much money it takes to go top class racing.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
…and you get a sense how much money it takes to go top class racing.
...and my favorite...the standard racer warranty: If you break it, you get to keep both pieces. Quaife Differentials are the only ones I know of who would replace it if you broke it on the the track....but I'm not sure anyone could break one, I know I tried like hell and failed.

Last edited:

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Best way to make a fortune in offroad racing...Start with a gigantic fortune and watch it dwindle away...lol

I have never understood the Trophy truck program the dollars just don't make sense. seems like you could have a lot of fun in a new Pro R based program and save millions.

One word… sponsors lol

RIVERBORN

Reaction score
Most trophy truck guys are rich as fuck. I chased a few times with Collin’s back in the day when bj was still getting prepped by them. Why a trophy truck? Because u can…
And there ain’t no “trophy truck” engine builder in Havasu…..

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
For the most part they are. Broken shock, bad driveline, bent a-arm etc…

It doesn’t take much and those trucks are limping. They’re so fast that when they hit something it’s almost catastrophic. Even the trucks that are still together I can catch in the mountainous terrain. They’re amazing but it’s a heavy responsibility driving one.

It’s only a matter of time until UTV’s win an overall. I imagine in the next five years you’ll see a Can-Am or Polaris win an overall.

Here's an interesting chance to have a UTV make a run at an impressive overall

1724355196506.png

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Here's an interesting chance to have a UTV make a run at an impressive overall

View attachment 1420058

I saw that. UTV’s are getting so fast these days. I’m rambling in the helmet mic and staring at GPS screens more than I’m staring out the front of the car these days because shit is happening so fast.

With a little luck and a great driver and co-driver I feel confident that a UTV can pull off the overall in the next few years, maybe sooner. The course will need to be more technical than wide open but it’s closer to happening than it’s ever been.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
How long should a 1000+ hp big block in a TT last? How many miles, races, seasons?

This is all assuming that this is a high hp race motor that is meticulously maintained with complete fluid flushed and top end inspections.

These motors are typically 60k or more so how long would you expect it to last?
I would put it at 25 hours before it sees the shop for an oil change, if the tach doesn’t go much past 4500 rpm’s