I can't believe how he went on and on about how the poker run is really a race

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
But I haven't finished yet....
aint.jpg

78Southwind

Reaction score
I liked the boating content but as we all know these so called reality shows are all scripted. We are getting the producers view of what sells (drama) to the masses. Look at Ultra Custom Boat's reality show "Rock the Boat". Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of John West's work (I myself suffered through the BS and watched the show religiously just for the boating content). I spoke to John at Dave's Desert Storm Underground party about the show and he said that he was offered another season but turned it down because of all the scripted bullshit causing havoc in his life.

It would be really nice to see a reality show centered on boating content that the boating advocates could thoroughly enjoy. But that will probably never happen.:grumble:

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
I liked the boating content but as we all know these so called reality shows are all scripted. We are getting the producers view of what sells (drama) to the masses. Look at Ultra Custom Boat's reality show "Rock the Boat". Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of John West's work (I myself suffered through the BS and watched the show religiously just for the boating content). I spoke to John at Dave's Desert Storm Underground party about the show and he said that he was offered another season but turned it down because of all the scripted bullshit causing havoc in his life.

It would be really nice to see a reality show centered on boating content that the boating advocates could thoroughly enjoy. But that will probably never happen.:grumble:

That is a great theory, however if you read the credits you will notice that Chris Davidson is listed as the executive producer lol

milkmoney

Reaction score
hey WW how come the dam thing wont play for me....

78Southwind

Reaction score
That is a great theory, however if you read the credits you will notice that Chris Davidson is listed as the executive producer lol

I hear ya but Gary Meeker was the Executive Producer and the Director. So maybe they should split the blame 50/50.;)

Last edited:

whiteworks

Reaction score
I hear ya but Gary Meeker was the Executive Producer and the Director. So maybe they should split the blame 50/50.;)

Doesn't that guy specialize in weddings and barmitzva videos?:D

milkmoney

Reaction score
ok suckas, I jus watched it, had to load it in firefox,,I didn't think it was a bad video, I enjoyed it. maybe cause I know chris,todd and kenny on a personal level and get their comments and such.....chris.lose some weight and calm down before you stroke out...lol:):thumbup:

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
I'm still trying to comprehend what I just watched, this may take a while to sink in.

Nice play in words!

Rest assured we could start a reality TV show right here, we all the different personalities, good and bad, different locations all around the country, we'd have a hit. If Real Housewives, Jersey Shores, OC Chopper can make millions I see no problem with this idea killin it. I can guarantee with me leading the charge, no offense RD and having a select few co-stars and of course plenty of stand-ins, we'd hit the LOTTERY!!!

The people on this site were made for radio!:cool

spotondl

In a Purple Haze
Reaction score
Don't even get me started on the clusterfuck train wreck this show and the "making of" caused for myself, RD & Desert Storm itself.

We are STILL living this shit down. Anybody wonder where this years Desert Storm coverage was? Buried under this shit pile. But hey, I got to actually have fun this year, even made it into some of photos of the different events. That was a change.

I was asked to "share" that years DS aerial footage so yeah, the boating content, that was mine. Glad you liked it. ;)

Spot

whiteworks

Reaction score
Don't even get me started on the clusterfuck train wreck this show and the "making of" caused for myself, RD & Desert Storm itself.

We are STILL living this shit down. Anybody wonder where this years Desert Storm coverage was? Buried under this shit pile. But hey, I got to actually have fun this year, even made it into some of photos of the different events. That was a change.

I was asked to "share" that years DS aerial footage so yeah, the boating content, that was mine. Glad you liked it. ;)

Spot

Ah come on elaborate a bit, I think it's a great story;)

milkmoney

Reaction score
Hey MM, squeezing a teat is not the play button, unless you're a Jet Boat owner.

Oh wait......

:D:D

you are right, but everytime I squeeze a teet, it feels like play......(button). and for the record I don't own a jet boat...:)

copterzach

Reaction score
Nothing but good reviews over on the other site...

Aggie class of '97. WHOOP

JBS

Reaction score
I just watched it. WOW

If there was a video portraying my business like that I would sue and win. Why anyone would do that to themselves is beyond comprehension.

BrettBayne

Reaction score
Agreed...As well as the fact that Brett admits to not even like boats, that makes no sense to me at all.

Allow me to wash some of the confusion from your mind.

First of all...IT WAS A TV SHOW. Perhaps you're the sort of person who believes that everything he sees on TV, including reality shows, is real. Especially reality shows. While the event itself (i.e., Desert Storm and our test event) was obviously legitimate, some of the characterizations and comments were put in there to make it more entertaining. Otherwise, it would have been monumentally boring. Now, you're well within your rights to say the show was insipid or not entertaining or whatever, but try to remember that it was put together largely by people who had never done anything like it before. In that sense, I thought it came out generally OK -- maybe not for a national audience, but certainly for the boating crowd. Whatever you might think of it, for God's sake, try not to believe absolutely everything you see, particularly on the Internet.

My first boating gig was in 1987, more than a quarter of a century ago. I had zero boating background, zero interest in boats, zero experience. I was a magazine editor, and what I did was produce a magazine, mostly trafficking pages, designing layouts, etc. I didn't need to like boats, any more than your barber has to love hair, or your wife's gynecologist has to love the Bearded Clam. Basically, I managed to get my foot in the door in our industry, and it got stuck there. Three marine publications later, I'm still writing about boats and still learning about them. Over the passage of time, I've come to appreciate not only the majesty of boats, but the unbelievable amount of craftsmanship that goes into them. And while I'll never be a diehard boater -- I couldn't afford a PWC, much less a powerboat -- I don't dislike boats. What I said onscreen was a crude bastardization of an aspect of the truth, which is that I'm a magazine editor, not a boating junkie. I live behind a keyboard, not a dash panel. My expertise is in interviewing company CEOs, manufacturers, distributors, retailers, boat owners, mechanics, et al., and giving them a platform to shine in print. The fact that I've been doing it for so long -- and that I came away from this year's Miami Boat Show with a First Place award in reporting -- is sufficient evidence that I kind of know what I'm doing. As for the TV show, I won't apologize for my lack of screen presence or charm or poise on camera, or anything I did or said. I didn't ask or volunteer to appear in it. I merely did what I was told and tried not to look too much like an idiot. I might have failed in that regard, but brother, at least I tried. Hopefully this puts things in better perspective for you, renodaytona.

BB

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Is it true that you are the "kiss of Death" in the Marine Publication world?:eek

JBS

Reaction score
Is it true that you are the "kiss of Death" in the Marine Publication world?:eek

Lol. It would seem that way

Brett. Why would you bump up this dead thread. Did you really think your opinion of yourself would sway anyone

BrettBayne

Reaction score
Why would you bump up this dead thread. Did you really think your opinion of yourself would sway anyone

Gosh, I'm sorry, JBS. I read something about myself I didn't agree with, and I responded to it. The OP got to express an opinion and I assumed I would be allowed the same courtesy. It must be really cool not to have an opinion about yourself, JBS!

JBS

Reaction score
Gosh, I'm sorry, JBS. I read something about myself I didn't agree with, and I responded to it. The OP got to express an opinion and I assumed I would be allowed the same courtesy. It must be really cool not to have an opinion about yourself, JBS!

Brett. This is an OLD thread. Welcome to July 2013

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score

Are you placing the bulk of blame for HB and PB history on Brett? Chris makes all the decisions and Brett takes all the responsibility? Is that it?

I admire what Chris has done with his magazine ventures. He took a shot at an industry that few know and he put in a lot of years at it.

It's tough to figure out how someone, like yourself, could take a run at Brett. As best I can figure it, Brett did what he was told, mostly kept his head down, did his job, and worked at being non-controversial. Now that I think about it, Brett and I are diametrically opposed. :D

That brings me back to: Why would you drop a bomb on Brett? Is this part of the shit sandwich you seem to be perpetually eating? Did you join the Westboro Baptist Church?

JBS

Reaction score
It's 1:11 here on the Texas coast. Spent the day on the water fishing.

Have fun. See you all in the morning

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Are you placing the bulk of blame for HB and PB history on Brett? Chris makes all the decisions and Brett takes all the responsibility? Is that it?

I admire what Chris has done with his magazine ventures. He took a shot at an industry that few know and he put in a lot of years at it.

It's tough to figure out how someone, like yourself, could take a run at Brett. As best I can figure it, Brett did what he was told, mostly kept his head down, did his job, and worked at being non-controversial. Now that I think about it, Brett and I are diametrically opposed. :D

That brings me back to: Why would you drop a bomb on Brett? Is this part of the shit sandwich you seem to be perpetually eating? Did you join the Westboro Baptist Church?

No to everything you said.

I asked a question. he said he has been a part of 3 Marine publications.
2 are defunct, 1 is for sale.

Lighten up Brown!:eek:):)

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
I asked a question. he said he has been a part of 3 Marine publications.

OK. I stand corrected and capitulate. :)

While you're here, is it true you are among the most negative posters on the site, sucking the fun out of nearly every thread you've ever posted in?

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
OK. I stand corrected and capitulate. :)

While you're here, is it true you are among the most negative posters on the site, sucking the fun out of nearly every thread you've ever posted in?

Yes...in your opinion!!:thumbup::):)

(For the record I WAS having fun until you showed up!! I guess it's all a "state of mind"??):eek:eek

Tom Brown

Epsilon contributor
Reaction score
It's nice to know my participation is making a difference.

Good night, all. :D

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Brett don't let the hazing get to you.. It's part of it.

RD

renodaytona

Reaction score
Allow me to wash some of the confusion from your mind.

First of all...IT WAS A TV SHOW. Perhaps you're the sort of person who believes that everything he sees on TV, including reality shows, is real. Especially reality shows. While the event itself (i.e., Desert Storm and our test event) was obviously legitimate, some of the characterizations and comments were put in there to make it more entertaining. Otherwise, it would have been monumentally boring. Now, you're well within your rights to say the show was insipid or not entertaining or whatever, but try to remember that it was put together largely by people who had never done anything like it before. In that sense, I thought it came out generally OK -- maybe not for a national audience, but certainly for the boating crowd. Whatever you might think of it, for God's sake, try not to believe absolutely everything you see, particularly on the Internet.

My first boating gig was in 1987, more than a quarter of a century ago. I had zero boating background, zero interest in boats, zero experience. I was a magazine editor, and what I did was produce a magazine, mostly trafficking pages, designing layouts, etc. I didn't need to like boats, any more than your barber has to love hair, or your wife's gynecologist has to love the Bearded Clam. Basically, I managed to get my foot in the door in our industry, and it got stuck there. Three marine publications later, I'm still writing about boats and still learning about them. Over the passage of time, I've come to appreciate not only the majesty of boats, but the unbelievable amount of craftsmanship that goes into them. And while I'll never be a diehard boater -- I couldn't afford a PWC, much less a powerboat -- I don't dislike boats. What I said onscreen was a crude bastardization of an aspect of the truth, which is that I'm a magazine editor, not a boating junkie. I live behind a keyboard, not a dash panel. My expertise is in interviewing company CEOs, manufacturers, distributors, retailers, boat owners, mechanics, et al., and giving them a platform to shine in print. The fact that I've been doing it for so long -- and that I came away from this year's Miami Boat Show with a First Place award in reporting -- is sufficient evidence that I kind of know what I'm doing. As for the TV show, I won't apologize for my lack of screen presence or charm or poise on camera, or anything I did or said. I didn't ask or volunteer to appear in it. I merely did what I was told and tried not to look too much like an idiot. I might have failed in that regard, but brother, at least I tried. Hopefully this puts things in better perspective for you, renodaytona.

BB

Hey there chief quite the explanation that goes back into the fact that you are indeed a magazine editor with no "PASSION" for boating. What that says to me is that you could care less if you are writing articles about trimming Bonsai trees and gardening or boats. I think that putting that kind of video out has now created a slippery slope where PB is concerned.