WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Magic Cable Box just got a bunch of updates / upgrades

sunsoaker8

Reaction score
My experience with the magic box has been very good. I have two of them. The first one I got was the dual core and the second one is the quad core. I had the issue of the speed test being much different between my computer and the box but got very little buffering. I had an older Netgear router and I upgraded to Linksys router and now find the speed tests to be very close between the computer and the boxes. I have had very few issues with either box. I did have trouble with one of the two keyboard remotes. Got tired of messing with it and replaced it with no further issues. My internet speeds run between 21 and 31 and I can run both boxes at the same time with no buffering issues.

Havasu Catman

Reaction score
My experience with the magic box has been very good. I have two of them. The first one I got was the dual core and the second one is the quad core. I had the issue of the speed test being much different between my computer and the box but got very little buffering. I had an older Netgear router and I upgraded to Linksys router and now find the speed tests to be very close between the computer and the boxes. I have had very few issues with either box. I did have trouble with one of the two keyboard remotes. Got tired of messing with it and replaced it with no further issues. My internet speeds run between 21 and 31 and I can run both boxes at the same time with no buffering issues.

I have the dual core box and like it a lot. I have been thinking about buying a quad core box and was wondering if there is a big difference between the two. Is the quad core that much faster? Does it still have quirks?

IinsureU

aka 'Insman'
Reaction score
I think it would be great if they offered a quad core upgrade option at a reasonable price :cool

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I think it would be great if they offered a quad core upgrade option at a reasonable price :cool

That would b cool but he's gotta make money [emoji4] I want Dave to get
One so I can see how much faster they are.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
That would b cool but he's gotta make money [emoji4] I want Dave to get
One so I can see how much faster they are.

Lol.. I'm happy with mine, but will be adding some tv's in the garage at some point so another one is in my future at some point.

sunsoaker8

Reaction score
I have the dual core box and like it a lot. I have been thinking about buying a quad core box and was wondering if there is a big difference between the two. Is the quad core that much faster? Does it still have quirks?

The quad core box is noticeably faster. It does operate like the dual core box. I really haven't had many quirks with either box.

mbrown2

Reaction score
Not sure if you guys noticed or not, but they added some pretty bitchen features onto the magic cable box to make it a lot more user friendly. :)

As well, there is some ultimate Irony in one of the features.. LOL I started getting some errors with my box, when I would go to open gotv or gomovies. I'd get that little window with the red x. So I called Dave and inquired about it. As some of you already know the box itself isn't just sold by Dave at myfreecabletv.com it is sold by a other people as well. The difference between Dave's version and the others is that he licensed the 33 channels, and has things like Dragon Streams for all the free PPV stuff etc. Well being in the world of what can only be described as legal piracy, some of the other guys out there decided they wanted Dragon Streams and those channels so they hacked the software and started putting it on theirs! LOL

So I'm talking to Dave and he's up in arms about this because they pay 1000's a month for this licensing for his customers only and he is telling me "Screw those guys they aren't paying for it." To which I promptly responded "Well it's not exactly like I'm paying for HBO / Showtime etc.. and I'm watching all their shit for free." The definition of Irony set in.

Either way to combat that problem, they started putting in some fail safes into their software so that it would require a passcode on the back end or something.. So if you didn't buy the box from Dave then the software would stop working after some short amount of time. If you are getting errors on your magic box, they upgraded the software so that now instead of having to go through some 40 step process of uninstalling and reinstalling, you can do it by clicking on one of the icons, and it will do everything automatically and make it "factory fresh." I will show that in this video.

How to make your box Factory Fresh in 1 easy step.

This is how you can now clear the cache for XBMC in one easy step!

RD

Finally got around to trying both of these...both of these don't exist as options on my box. The Factory Fresh choice does not exist on the fav's and the clear cache choice don't exist either. I am beginning to think my box was not configured correctly as I still have issues with apps like Go Movies when others seem to be fine.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Finally got around to trying both of these...both of these don't exist as options on my box. The Factory Fresh choice does not exist on the fav's and the clear cache choice don't exist either. I am beginning to think my box was not configured correctly as I still have issues with apps like Go Movies when others seem to be fine.

Did u do the sd card update?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Just read the rest of this thread...trying that next...

Sweet I had the problem u are having before doing the upgrade. Rd walked me through it as the sd card was smarter than me [emoji15]

mbrown2

Reaction score
Okay, finally got it to work this route- Anyone get the Live Concerts to work by chance ?

Get an SD card (bigger then 1 gig). Put SD Card in the side of box.
Goto home screen / front page. In the bottom right hand corner you will see a button that says "OTA" click that.
It will bring up a screen that has what version you are running etc.. At the bottom of that it will say Available updates or something like that. Click that.
It will pop a window that says "Clear Cache" "Clear Data" on mine just the cache had a check mark next to it. Make sure both are check marked and hit ok..

You have effectively erased your box now. There's a few other steps in here I'm sure I'm missing from memory but it's all pretty self explanatory.

Now you will get back to your home screen and you will have to click Settings.
Click Wifi and your network WILL NOT SHOW UP. Look up at the top of the screen and there is a toggle switch that will currently say "OFF" Click that and it will turn to ON. Connect the wifi.

Go into XBMC, goto Videos, click the add ons button underneath it. Click Stream Smart wizard and let it install.

You have now upgraded the Android box to the lastest OPERATING SYSTEM called Gotham 13, and you have now upgraded to the latest versions of XBMC etc..

Ok tried this but forgot to click clear data....went through the update fine, but still does not show clear cache option in favorites and still getting the plug in error when trying to run the streamsmart wizard...

Did I get a lemon or did missing that clear data option not completely reset things....Any other way to fully reset now?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Ok tried this but forgot to click clear data....went through the update fine, but still does not show clear cache option in favorites and still getting the plug in error when trying to run the streamsmart wizard...

Did I get a lemon or did missing that clear data option not completely reset things....Any other way to fully reset now?

U r clicking on the little star in the bottom left hand corner correct?

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
All your apps are back after running the wizard? Something is off maybe rd can help he's pretty good w these things

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
:D
All your apps are back after running the wizard? Something is off maybe rd can help he's pretty good w these things
If it takes RD to help with fixing this "Magic Box" I will stick with Direct TV. Netflix and LIVE TV WITH COMMERCIALS.:D

mbrown2

Reaction score

Yes, my apps are working...it looks exactly like it did before. I tried a couple of movies and 3 out of 5 worked....but I also ran a speed test same wireless network as my laptop, 5 ft from each other and my laptop gets 50mg and 47mg while the Magic Box gets 8mg and 18mg....just thinking this box is a lemon at this point. It seems to have issues that other folks don't have, has consistently not had good wireless performance as others do get, and it continues to not allow or have options that others do have (ie: smartstream, and cache clear)...

Guess I need to call Magic Box Dave and get a different unit...

I used to think it was wireless but other people get good results over wireless.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
ROM streamsmart.s3.20141103.v6.3.9

When it was upgrading it was highlighting the the gotham version mentioned earlier in the thread.

Goto videos / add ons and then scroll down to streamsmart wizard. Click it and it will delete itself and reinstall itself to the latest version. :). That should get you to the latest version with all the bells and whistles..

mbrown2

Reaction score
Goto videos / add ons and then scroll down to streamsmart wizard. Click it and it will delete itself and reinstall itself to the latest version. :). That should get you to the latest version with all the bells and whistles..

I just tried that again and got the "error script failed plug.streamsmart......"

I sent Dave M a note...he asked me to install voxer so we could chat about it...keep you posted...

JRS1939

Reaction score
Is there an RDP coupon code available for the new quad processor box yet?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I just tried that again and got the "error script failed plug.streamsmart......"

I sent Dave M a note...he asked me to install voxer so we could chat about it...keep you posted...

This guy and that Voxer app... LOL Killin me!

RD

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Is there an RDP coupon code available for the new quad processor box yet?

I can have Dave put one in his website.. I have to talk to him today, so I will mention it.

RD

JRS1939

Reaction score
Ok tried to order one but no discount available on the new model.

slowride

Reaction score
Anyone interested in a near new dual core, there's one in the classifieds :D

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
You mean all the bad feeds and add-ons?

Damn slowride.. I'll give you $200 for everything since it's so F'ed up. Send me your paypal address and I'll send the money tonight.
Ship to zip is 91773

Seriously.

Angler

Sigus

Above the wet spot
Reaction score
I would sell my Dual core but wouldn't want someone getting a headache as it has issues as well. Dave offered to take it back but requires the packaging it came in. Anyone thats happy with theirs have their packaging they would part with?

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
I would sell my Dual core but wouldn't want someone getting a headache as it has issues as well. Dave offered to take it back but requires the packaging it came in. Anyone thats happy with theirs have their packaging they would part with?

What's wrong with yours?

JBS

Reaction score

I was going to buy one but after reading this return policy forget it. That is BS

slowride

Reaction score
Damn slowride.. I'll give you $200 for everything since it's so F'ed up. Send me your paypal address and I'll send the money tonight.
Ship to zip is 91773

Seriously.

Angler

Don't really feel like losing 33% on top of the time I wasted on it. I'll throw it on Craigslist and someone else can enjoy all that free programming.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
Don't really feel like losing 33% on top of the time I wasted on it. I'll throw it on Craigslist and someone else can enjoy all that free programming.

I'll be around if it doesn't sell.

Joker

Reaction score
Sounds like my old DSS boxes. It's strange that 50% of the users get them to work and the others don't. If there's 1 tech support guy, that may be the issue.
Can the purchasers call the box manufacturer direct?

Sigus

Above the wet spot
Reaction score
What's wrong with yours?

Will not stay connected. Keep having to reset it and reload the software. However that has now stopped working. Had it hardwired when it would connect I would see around 30 to 40mps.

Dave M was willing to work with me but has gone quite recently.

RD on the other hand has been huge help. Set the box up at his place and saw the issues I was having. Got it working for a bit. I brought it home and it work good for a day then went to shit.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Tell him to keep the packaging on the unit he would be exchanging it for.. (That sux that he didn't just do it.. And I will be talking to him about this tonight)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Will not stay connected. Keep having to reset it and reload the software. However that has now stopped working. Had it hardwired when it would connect I would see around 30 to 40mps.

Dave M was willing to work with me but has gone quite recently.

RD on the other hand has been huge help. Set the box up at his place and saw the issues I was having. Got it working for a bit. I brought it home and it work good for a day then went to shit.

I talked to Dave and he was saying he might have misunderstood what you were asking. He did a couple trade ins / upgrades for quad cores and somehow wires got crossed and that's why he was asking for packaging.

He will be on here in a few.. Obviously if the unit has problems it will be exchanged no charge..

Joker

Reaction score
IMHO, I think rd is going to take more heat than it's worth for promoting these things. Anyone that has hacked satellite before knows the boxes will eventually fail. Hopefully for those that bought em, this won't happen, but there is a history to hacking tv and you eventually get tired of buying new boxes every 4 months.
This is just my 3 cents.

Angler

Tritoon Racing
Reaction score
IMHO, I think rd is going to take more heat than it's worth for promoting these things. Anyone that has hacked satellite before knows the boxes will eventually fail. Hopefully for those that bought em, this won't happen, but there is a history to hacking tv and you eventually get tired of buying new boxes every 4 months.
This is just my 3 cents.

Very different than hacked cards or boxes. It's streaming video from off shore, could they shut it down? yes, will it be tomorrow? Hell no.
With all cable and satellite companies just announcing that they are raising their rates again, I'll get as much as I can outta Streamsmart.

slowride

Reaction score
Just to be clear, I don't feel there are any unusual "issues" with the box I got. What I don't like about it is likely inherent with the concept itself. Multiple feeds for the same programming and no way to tell which works without picking one (or more) is a crap shoot. Add-ons that don't work, and a really unpolished interface just makes it more work than I want to put in to being entertained. It's a novelty that unless someone (or some company) puts a LOT of work into software and a decent GUI, won't go prime time. If you like dinking with technology, this is for you. If you merely want a cable/satellite replacement, keep looking.
Just my feelings about it after trying it.