WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Powell - please educate me

Scott E

Reaction score
Just got invited on a houseboat trip to Lake Powell this summer, June 30 - July 6.

I've never been and neither have the people we are going with. Needless to say, I've got a lot to learn.

What tips, or cautionary tales, can those of you that have been provide to a complete newb to the houseboat thing?

Thanks.

Skinny Tire AH

This ain't all folks! Skater368
Reaction score
My only advise is to be extremely careful with the personality mix. ANY issues can ruin the entire trip for the whole boat.

Have a great time!!!

Run_em_Hard

Reaction score
Have fun... Don't be afraid to move around from spot to spot. We always try to spend each night in a different location.

TOOLSHED

Reaction score
Watch for tour boats. They will F you up.
Read up on anchoring houseboats at lake powell.

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Agreed on the personalities..

But...Lake Powell is one of the top 5 vacations of my life.
We want to do it again after the granddaughter is a little bigger.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Have fun... Don't be afraid to move around from spot to spot. We always try to spend each night in a different location.

x 2. Drive all day and see the lake. Anchor in the afternoon.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Boy...where do I start..First off you could be in for a great time or a really frustrating one.

Have you ever gone anywhere in an RV or toyhauler where you have to conserve resources and share things like bathrooms towels food, fuel, and even (especially) water?

If you partners dont know how to do this sit down and have a serious talk with them loong before you go anywhere.

One 40 Minute luxurious shower and your mates have blown 2 days worth of water and it could cost 500 bucks in gas to go get more. Or worse yet fills your black tank and you cant use the head until you find a pump out.

Ill never forget when 3 extra kids showed up on a houseboat trip and one came out of a half hour shower with three towels on.
NICE!

Prep as many meals as you possibly can before hand - like camping pre cooked just reheat cooking inside an already hot houseboat makes it hard to cool down and you may not have enough fuel to run a genny 24-7 and its no fun being hot at night.
Better yet spilt the cooking and when it comes to it - you are covered, alternating cooking meals works well especially if you prepped.

My advice would be take along a boat or ski and tow it up lake and use the little rig to find spot for the day rig. If you are moving around you should try to find a space by 3-4 because you dont want to be trying to anchor that pig a night.

You cant get into the little nooks and crannies with a houseboat anyway.

Know that driving a house boat around is about a 10 gallon per (per engine) deal so you'd best be going in with the understanding you are going to be spending BIG money on fuel.

Fuel will be a bit over 5 maybe 6 a gallon but at 5 a gallon you get a 100 per hour fuel bill

Have you ever anchored a houseboat? it takes 2 at a minimum in calm water and 4 or more if its rough.

All this "move the boat around everyday talk is laughable." It will likely take you an hour per day to actually get the boat secured, and try to never camp n a main channel - the wind will just blow you around

Heres a tip, buy a katadyn camp water filter and filter lake water instead of bringing cases of bottled water you have to manage the trash for.

Make sure the other couple knows the physical work is a shared responsibility- often a novice couple will just "expect" all this to happen somehow and bitch and moan when you make them pull their weight or worse yet they just cant even do anything (no skills at all)

You really need to think all this through and be realistic about it.

If you manage all these and more - you will have the time of your life and remember it foreever if you dont - then it can/will be a total nightmare.

Uncle Dave

Last edited:

Tremor Therapy

Reaction score
Boy...where do I start..First off you could be in for a great time or a really frustrating one.

Have you ever gone anywhere in an RV or toyhauler where you have to conserve resources and share things like bathrooms towels food, fuel, and even (especially) water?

If you partners dont know how to do this sit down and have a serious talk with them loong before you go anywhere.

One 40 Minute luxurious shower and your mates have blown 2 days worth of water and it could cost 500 bucks in gas to go get more. Or worse yet fills your black tank and you cant use the head until you find a pump out.

Ill never forget when 3 extra kids showed up on a houseboat trip and one came out of a half hour shower with three towels on.
NICE!

Prep as many meals as you possibly can before hand - like camping pre cooked just reheat cooking inside an already hot houseboat makes it hard to cool down and you may not have enough fuel to run a genny 24-7 and its no fun being hot at night.
Better yet spilt the cooking and when it comes to it - you are covered, alternating cooking meals works well especially if you prepped.

My advice would be take along a boat or ski and tow it up lake and use the little rig to find spot for the day rig. If you are moving around you should try to find a space by 3-4 because you dont want to be trying to anchor that pig a night.

Know that driving a house boat around is about a 10 gallon per (per engine) deal so you'd best be going in with the understanding you are going to be spending BIG money on fuel.

Fuel will be a bit over 5 maybe 6 a gallon but at 5 a gallon you get a 100 per hour fuel bill

Have you ever anchored a houseboat? it takes 2 at a minimum in calm water and 4 or more if its rough.

All this "move the boat around everyday talk is laughable." It will likely take you an hour per day to actually get the boat secured, and try to never camp n a main channel - the wind will just blow you around

Heres a tip, buy a katadyn camp water filter and filter lake water instead of bringing cases of bottled water you have to manage the trash for.

Make sure the other couple knows the physical work is a shared responsibility- often a novice couple will just "expect" all this to happen somehow and bitch and moan when you make them pull their weight or worse yet they just cant even do anything (no skills at all)

If you manage all these and more - you will have the time of your life and remember it foreever if you dont - then it can/will be a total nightmare.

Uncle Dave

Being with people you can get along with is the biggest key, and don't discount it in any way. The rest are excellent points, but the best thing to do is to have a couple of meetings with everyone going prior to the actual trip. We were able to economize on supplies and dole out responsibilities at these meetings, and it worked out well once we finally got on the water.

But I will tell you one other thing, people like to boat in different ways. Some like to go find a beach and drink all day, others want to explore all day, and others a combo. You need to ensure that if you take any passengers that they are crystal clear what your boating expectations are. I went on one trip where we burned at least a tank of gas a day in all our boats, and on another where one tank of gas got burned for the entire week.

I mean it, at least two meetings to discuss the trip, meals, supplies, responsibilities, and how the cost will be shared will definitiely help eliminate a lot of the bs.

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Uncle Dave has some good advice. I'll add a bit more............invite me and I'll drive the boat and do the cookin.

Scott E

Reaction score
Great tips so far, I appreciate it.

Fortunately, the group going has tent, then RV, camped since I was 6 months old sometimes for two weeks at a time. So we've got that going for us with respect to doing your part.

We'll have our Howard Sportdeck and a Seadoo with us so I think we'll be good from a toy perspective. The fuel cost is going to be INSANE I'm sure.

Anything else?

BajaT

Reaction score
x 2. Drive all day and see the lake. Anchor in the afternoon.

Must be a fine line as I felt we drove too much...Had few nice coves to ourselves that I wished we stayed for more than 1 night.....

FadeToBlack

Reaction score
When I was up there I was told manuevering and docking use both engines but under cruise just use one the house will not go any faster under both engines

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
My advise is to find a great beach and make that your base camp for the entire trip. The monsoons won't be that big of a problem that time of the year, but still a possibilty. We always dig 6 anchors on the beach, 3 on each side, and that's not an easy task, wouldn't want to be doing that every day. Make sure you have a few shovels and a good sledge hammer to bury the anchors. Have them give you a good lesson on how to tie off to the anchors, with the right knot, it makes it easy to tighten up the lines, especially important with the rising waters that time of year.

We usually go about 20 miles up lake, and keep Dangling Rope and Antelope a quick boat ride from camp. With your Sportdeck, you can cover some serious miles and see most of the lake. Don't be afraid to explore the canyons, it can get pretty tight in some, but put someone on each corner and you'll be fine. Our longest boating day is always a trip up the Escalante, around a 100 miles of boating.

Always keep an eye on the sky for storms, don't want to get caught in one of the big basins during a storm. The storms make their way by quick and you can usually duck for cover in a cove until it passes. Always keep an anchor on board just in case.

We usually plan all the dinners ahead of time and everyone is on their own for breakfast and lunches. Since we're usually out boating, it's snadwiches for lunch. The restaurant at Antelope is great, and usually go there for lunch a few times.

There's no better lake for boating, you'll be hooked. We have our annual trip 7/26-8/3.

Duane

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
Memory is clicking on...

If none of your crew has gone before make dang sure you pay attention to the maps and mile marker buoys. You can get a long way from a gas station in short order.
When we went we had 3 ski boats and two PWC's with us, at the last gas station near the freeway I filled 10 5 gallon jugs of fuel and the rest of us did about the same.
We had a fuel dump on the beach wherever we went to feed the ski boats for the first day or two, I know I saved some $ doing that. We also figured out which boat was the most fuel efficient and if we needed ice (once or twice a when it is 100 plus out) we used that boat to go get it, sent empty ice chests.
The houseboat had two big outboards, and I was the official driver, I shut down one or the other when the wind would let me...we did save some fuel that way.

Oh, and get the HB into a protected area, out of the main body of the lake, by mid afternoon if at all possible. Maneuvering a houseboat in the wind requires more practice than you can get in one rental deal. Staking it in the wind, as was said, will require people working together.
After the first day, all of the mattresses wound up on the upper deck and everyone was sleeping under the stars. We rented out of Bullfrog, (never again, too far for us) and I will never forget the 18-19 yr. old girl that gave us the walk through and got us out of the harbor.
She came waltzing in as we were ready to go and stopped short, staring at the floor-to ceiling stack of cases of beer covering one wall.
"are you guys gonna drink all of that?"
"Yep....but not until we drink what is already in the ice chests"
"Wow...I have never seen that much beer on one of these boats...only in a store, maybe.."

T'was a good time indeed.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Plan your trip around the Fuel stations- and whenever you see it, fill up and dump the tanks / ice up. EVERY TIME.

First place up from Wahweap is Dangling rope its about a half a days run if the cut is open and about a day if its not in a houseboat. bullfrog and Halls and I think are next.

I dont know about the single engine cruise thing working with outboards, I was down to like 5 knots when I tried that with a 50 footer and twin honda 120's (115?'s?) Quite a bit of crab legging going on to keep it straight.

And on your way back with full grey and black tanks most of the rigs list badly as both the black and grey on one side of frame rails and the fresh on the other so the rig just tilts more and more as you use up the water supply.

Bring radios,and GPs's and study the lake hard.

It can be confusing and at 100 an hour you dont want to go on a half hour goosechase up the wrong finger.

the red green buoys are pretty visible and let them be your guide.

Lock down your music references and come to agreement on styles- no douchbags playing "aqualung" 100 times in a row.

Dont let anybody go on the trip that didnt attend the meetings beforehand- no last minute atendees that promise to pull their own weight.

Uncle Dave

CampbellCarl

Reaction score
Couple more thoughts;

Make up a list of meals by day and assign a person or couple to that day. That couple does breakfast, lunch and dinner for the entire boat (including cleanup) for that day. Keeps from everybody being in the kitchen at the same time and gives the 'off' people a real vacation. If you've got little ones along, include them on the list and make it an easy 'day' cereal, PBJ sanwiches and hot dogs that they BBQ.

Pre-cook lots of bacon. It can be used by reheating for breakfast, BLT's for lunch and is an easy snack if needed.

Houseboat refers ain't worth a shit. I've used them but only for fruits and salads and fresh veggies. Bring lots of coolers and label them for beer, sodas, waters etc. Pre-purchase all of the dinner meats and use a seperate cooler for that. Dry ice on the bottom then start stacking dinner meats in reverse order based on the meals list from above.

Monday - Hot Dogs by kids
Tuesday - Taco night
Wed - Chicken Breast
Last night - Steaks
Dryice - on the bottom.

Have fun, take lots of pix, report back after the trip of a lifetime.

CC

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
:thumbsup:thumbsup

I never done this but a good buddy of mine has.m They had discussed with the other family about alternating days for cooking and clean-up but when it came time for the actual trip the other party thought they were on a resort and being catered to. It really made the trip miserable he said.

NICE!

Uncle Dave

BasilHayden

Reaction score
Although I don't make it a habit to help bruins, I will make an exception since its Powell we're speaking of.

Uncle Dave has great points if your on a circa 1980's boat. If your on a small rental even, but if your in a circa 2000+ boat or a big rental many of the points are no longer valid. Uncle Dave, your post reminded me of a houseboat trip to Mojave in the late 80's in the old winnebago's they called houseboats. Most of the newer large boats are more like condos on the water, biggest question to ask, how much are we willing to spend on fuel!

"Have you ever gone anywhere in an RV or toyhauler where you have to conserve resources and share things like bathrooms towels food, fuel, and even (especially) water? If you partners dont know how to do this sit down and have a serious talk with them loong before you go anywhere." still valid some conservation is still required

"One 40 Minute luxurious shower and your mates have blown 2 days worth of water and it could cost 500 bucks in gas to go get more. Or worse yet fills your black tank and you cant use the head until you find a pump out. " unless your boat has a lake fill system, ours has a multi filter with uv, as long as the filters have been changed, lather up and take baths as far as I care. As for Black water, cant help but say some conservation is needed, but you should make it 7 days with the size of the newer black water tanks.

"Prep as many meals as you possibly can before hand - like camping pre cooked just reheat cooking inside an already hot houseboat makes it hard to cool down and you may not have enough fuel to run a genny 24-7 and its no fun being hot at night.
"
not camping anymore, most real boats have a kitchen to rival most homes. As for the inside of the boat being hot, not with the 5 ton ac unit, Again fuel is a question, we hold 1000 gal, it can easily last a week doing anything you want. My wife refuses to go camping, I've convinced her its a condo, a/c damn near always available, the poor genset gets a workout.

"My advice would be take along a boat or ski and tow it up lake and use the little rig to find spot for the day rig. If you are moving around you should try to find a space by 3-4 because you dont want to be trying to anchor that pig a night. " Absolutely, the houseboat is for basecamping, the ski boat is for wandering and playing. 3-4 also happens to be when the serious storms pop up, not daily but you'll no it when you see on on the horizon, get back to the houseboat and be ready for anything. A few years back we were in Rock Creek when a hurricane rolled through, no lie it was the wildest night of my life.

"You cant get into the little nooks and crannies with a houseboat anyway.

" Agreed, maybe move every few days, but daily is just a chore, sit back and enjoy.

"Make sure the other couple knows the physical work is a shared responsibility- often a novice couple will just "expect" all this to happen somehow and bitch and moan when you make them pull their weight or worse yet they just cant even do anything (no skills at all)

" Absolutely time of your life, Powell is truly heaven in my opinion as a boater.

In todays world we never get the chance to tune out, at Powell you have to try to stay connected to the world. There is a reason I go every year for about 2 weeks at a time, I come home so refreshed its unreal. It isnt like going to a resort, you will have to work a bit, but to be in that paradise is priceless. Just stay between Dangling Rope and Antelope/Wahweap the first trip, a marina is within an hour by small boat, they have the necessities. If you see someone in need, ask if you can help, karma is a bitch. :cool:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
mmmm.....

Not so sure about your old winnebago comment.

Jacuzzi on the roof, full entertainment system.

http://www.lakepowell.com/houseboating/houseboats/escape.aspx

This was what we rented, and it was a nice boat.

I can assure all reading this - resources are limited- just like an RV.
You have a finite amount of water, grey, black, fuel.

I made 2 houseboat trips at Mead last year as well.

With 10 poeple we were resource constrained. Notice the claims of 12 and sleeping 16 in the ad for the boat- sure....

(three couples, and a "stranger" plus three kids )

True there are nicer boats, but this was hardley an "80's winnebago.

Throw up a picture of the boat you had so we can compare your floating condo to this winnebago.
(that rents for 7K a week in peak season)

Uncle Dave

Attachments

• powell houseboat.jpg
    powell houseboat.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 361
  • upper deck houseboat.jpg
    upper deck houseboat.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 368
  • houseboat roof jacuzzi.jpg
    houseboat roof jacuzzi.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:

BajaMike

Reaction score
Some advice:

Don't go on an overloaded houseboat. If the boat "sleeps 12", don't have more than 8 passengers. Teenagers always have to bring a friend (who will just sleep on the floor or couch")....no way...that can double your crew if every teanager brings a last minute friend.

If someone on the trip doesn't have a real boat (not a Sea-doo or two), forget it, you can's see the lake or scout new spots without a boat.

Don't move the houseboat every day, find a spot close to Waaweep on your first day, then send your speed boat up the lake to find a nice beach to stay at the rest of your trip.

Bring lots of ice, and when you go to Dangling Rope to get more ice and beer, assign jobs to everyone (take out trash, get ice, get gas, buy beer) and get out ASAP, it is one of the hottest places on earth....get in and get out.

Decide on sharing gas costs in advance....figure on $500 to $1500 in gas for the houseboat for a week trip.

READ this regarding food:

Buy one or more big white ice chests from Costco or West Marine. Buy all frozen meats/food at Costco (the refrigerator in the houseboat won't be cold for 24 hours) Buy cases of water and have Costco freeze them before you leave.

The night before you leave, put at least a case of frozen water bottles at the bottom of each of the ice chests. Place all your frozen hot dogs, hamburgers, steaks, fish, bacon on top of the frozen water. Put a layer of ice on top of the meat. Place cases of beer and soda on top of the ice...put more ice on top. Dont open the ice chest until you are on the houseboat cruising Lake Powell.

Bring all hard liquer you want for the trip with you, you can't buy it on the lake. Have a couple bags of bagged ice in your chests for your mixed drinks. Have a separate ice chest for kids and sodas so they don't put thier dirty hands in your mixed drink ice.

It will take days for the houseboat refrig/freezers to work very well (if ever), (with the kids opening them every 5 minutes) so keep buying ice every chance your get and keep the kids out of the coolers.

You can never have enough bottled water (especially frozen...tastes so good on hot days) or enough beer, ice and Vodka.

Have fun!!

:D

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
"Ice" is both a resource and a strategy in and of itself.

Cube ice goes quick out there - real quick.
(unless you bring frigid rigid coolers and even then it goes.)

Buy block ice and surround it in the cooler with cube ice and hammer off chunks when you need it. This way you will have enough to pack in days coolers or grind up in Margie's without watering everything down.

We dont do water bottles anymore - to much of a pain to deal with carrying all that crap around then dealing with it as trash for days until you hit a dock - sux.

We bring a water filter and make water right into bottles with ice cubes in them. Weighs about a pound - supply unlimited and frees up a cooler for pure ice blocks.

Crush your cans.

Then you have a trash can to deal with somewhere- I might suggest folding camp trash cans work well

Dave

RodnJen

Reaction score
I think you should take my kids. That way Jen and I can have a week in Havi by ourselves. I'll check on your house in trade.:D

NdaWind

Reaction score
Not sure about the shower dealio as the ones we have been on from Wahweap have had lake water pumped in for that. All the holding tank water (tap water) went to specific nozzles in the kitchen.

You can get early boarding which lets you load up the HB around closing time the night before and sleep on the boat so you can get out on the lake first thing. At Wahweap they even let us dock our boas a jet ski's there that night as well (that time of year there will be plenty of empty slips). The men and kids did all the loading up while the ladies went into page and did the shopping. There's a lot to load.

One time we ordered all our perishable foods online from Bashas and had it delivered right to the boat and just hauled all our drinks and staples from home in large ice chest.

Try to get a HB with a separate toy fuel tank if not plan on camping near Dangling rope Marina. They don't allow extra gas containers on the HB.

The setting of anchors is a pain so find a good beach and keep the HB there. Do your exploring in the boats. Use only the Seadoo's close camp to not for long trips.

The water on Powell is either going up or down so keep an eye on your anchor lines and if the water is going down move the HB out a little every couple of days.

Watch for storms if you can't make it back to camp head for a cove/finger until it blows over.

Some HB only have A/C pumped into one vent in the middle of the boat it won't keep the boat cool - get the deluxe model with the better A/C.

Last edited:

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
What they said, find your beach with a small boat drop a few tenagers off with shovels and tell them to start digging. Come back with the houseboat, anchor it and don't move it for the length of the trip. Also, this time of year out your anchors a few hundred feet up the beach, by then of ten days the beach will be gone.

MedicalPlanQuotes.com / IPhone

rmarion

Stop The Steal
Reaction score
bring four (4) extra tie up ropes. Pick up the 100's rope from home depo.

use these four extras ropes on the same windward side. (5 ropes on windward side and one rope on non windward side.

img_9759-300x199.jpg

1. dry ice is your friend.
2. bring extra igloo coolers for ice only. Do not put ice in old fiberglass cooler storage.
3. Use AC 24/7. Go into Marina to fill (due to over A/C use). A/C will burn one gal per hour.
4. If towing your boats...use plenty of tow rope. (specially with ski boats or wakeboard boats)
5. Plan your meals as food defrosts.
6. EZ quick meals.
7. BBQ on the ouse boat is GREAT..but it get HOT!!!! in 100 + weather.
8. Bring entertainment, cards, games, etc.
9. Shop together for food.

Have FUN!!!!!:D

Carlson-jet

Not Giving A Fuck Is An Art
Reaction score
2 pallets of beer is too much to stack on one front corner of the boat.

As UD said, Block ice lasts. Frozen bottled water sounds like a good idea too.
Bring a compass. ( or two) and binauculars.
Leave any kooky chicks at the launch.
Realize that lake is very deep.
The weather can change in minutes due to lack of visibility when in canyons.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
If the storms come find a cove and wait it out, don't try and out run them. Two years ago we were almost back to the houseboat, rounded the last corner and realized that a 27 foot boat is not big enough for Powell at times, started taking waves over the bow, filled the boat, fortunately the engine kept running and we were able to keep forward progress at a crawl. If the engine had died we would have gone down.

MedicalPlanQuotes.com / IPhone

azwetnwild

Reaction score
Don't camp ontop of another house boats camp. If you have to cross there anker lines to put yours in you are way way to close.

Dettom

Reaction score
Uncle Dave pretty sums it up. Personalities, shared workload, shared expenses are the key.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Lets look at the some rough estimates for gas.

Most start in Wahweap.

To get to dangling rope is about 40 miles from Wahwheap. This is a good first point and its around this area where one should stop the first night.

At about 10 gallons an hour per engine, at about 10 miles an hour. it will take about 80 gallons to get to dangling rope.

One could then say conversely its 160 gallon round trip to DR and back to Wahwheap or about 816 dollars if you just go to DR and back.

Fuel prices at DR are 5.10 today.
http://www.lakepowellmarinas.com/fuel.html

I would recommend as a first trip to go just north of the San Juan River arm and find a cove and use that as your base and take a boat up the Escalante arm and back. You will end up at about 70-80 Miles or so up lake this way.

Lets use 80 miles as our computation for mile UP Lake.
Now you spend 160 gallons up and 160 gallons - back.

thats about 1632.00 in gasoline for travel just for the houseboat.

Now lets say we want to run the air conditioner 16 hours a day.

The westerbeke 10-13K gennies drink "about" a gallon an hour. So thats 16 gallons a day x whatever days you are out there- (lets say its a 5 day trip)
thats 80 more gallons to run Ac and power for a week trip shutting her down for 1/3 of a day - or another 408 dollars.

We would shut off the genny and go to Inverter power onboard just after breakfast and try to stay quiet all day and use the lake to stay cool. Then fire back up at around 5-6 at night and cool everything down (it takes a long time with some boats)

This would net your houseboat "trip" gas at around 2K before we use a boat or a jetski/seadoo.

This is why it pays to use a second boat as a "scout" and sightseeing system hugely. You just dont want to be wandering around looking for a beach at 100 an hour and 10MPH.

Dont forget on top of the hours of travel, you need to plan time for stops UP- and back at DR at minimum it takes an hour or two there as well each time.

Make sure everyone knows whos turn it is at the credit card to annihilate 1000.00 at DR.

Make sure everyone knows whose turn it is at wheel of the houseboat. Being the only one stuck driving sucks ass, and you cant trust a novice not to do something dumb. 80 miles uplake is 2 FULL days of driving one up, one back plus fuel and Ice stops each way. plodding along at 10 MPH for days isnt for everyone- I personally enjoy the serenity of it, but some people cant take it. Best to rotate drivers in and out -and adults that cant contribute as much for costs- can make up for their lack of money this way.

Hope I didnt scare you. Its all worth it, you just need to be smart about it and know what you are in for,and know when you add it all up- when you take an "old winnebago" like the one I did - Its about 10K or more for a week of fun.

This is why you can get pissed off pretty quick when parties stop contributing or freeloading or not pulling their weight in general.

"Front end" everything with everyone- and have these discussions.

Uncle Dave

Attachments

• map.gif
    map.gif
    15.4 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
I have done 10 houseboat trips 5 on Powell and 5 on Lake Shasta and these were a few on our safety rules.

Be safe, at time's you will be hours from the nearest doctor/hospital. Take the time to have a meeting with everyone about houseboat safety before you leave the dock. Know where the first aid kits are, Fire Extinguishers and lifejackets. If you have a VHF Marine Band Radio teach a couple of people on how to use it.

Be on the lookout of dark clouds, rain & wind. We had a rule when we moved that we would travel after breakfast and find a cove after lunch before any storms.

Bring a couple of first aid kits.

Everyone should have their own flashlight.

A Lake Powell map for every boat.

Swimming near the back of the houseboat , have someone at the back of the boat before you start the motor. Be sure that you and every member of your crew is on board before starting the motors.

Do not jump or dive from the upper deck or from any railings until someone can verify the water depth.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
I have done 10 houseboat trips 5 on Powell and 5 on Lake Shasta and these were a few on our safety rules.

Be safe, at time's you will be hours from the nearest doctor/hospital. Take the time to have a meeting with everyone about houseboat safety before you leave the dock. Know where the first aid kits are, Fire Extinguishers and lifejackets. If you have a VHF Marine Band Radio teach a couple of people on how to use it.

Be on the lookout of dark clouds, rain & wind. We had a rule when we moved that we would travel after breakfast and find a cove after lunch before any storms.

Bring a couple of first aid kits.

Everyone should have their own flashlight.

A Lake Powell map for every boat.

Swimming near the back of the houseboat , have someone at the back of the boat before you start the motor. Be sure that you and every member of your crew is on board before starting the motors.

Do not jump or dive from the upper deck or from any railings until someone can verify the water depth.

Excellent post.

UD

77charger

Reaction score
never done a houseboat of all the years going to powell but what uncle dave says i wouldnt disagree.

Its all family on our camping trips but theres some i wouldnt want to be on a boat with contantly.Some say they want to do a boat and how easy it would be i said i will stick to my camper and shoreline then drive my boat to meet up.

77charger

Reaction score
heres a cool map i found last year

Attachments

• LocalYokel_LakePowellMap.jpg
    LocalYokel_LakePowellMap.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 242

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

It is cool but it has no mile marks and only goes to DR.

It also makes the cut look much wider than it really is. The map is not spatially correct

You will be single file lining up to go through at idle speed in a houseboat.

UD

77charger

Reaction score

It also makes the cut look much wider than it really is. The map is not spatially correct

UD

True it shows for full pool

But i like the way it shows the canyon lay out gives and idea to where its steep and chance of flatter ones to find a good anchoring spots.

azwetnwild

Reaction score

UD

The single file no wake went away last year. The water level is high enough that you can go through full speed 10 boats wide now and this year will be even better.

Singleton

Reaction score

This map shows the lake partially full and is not accurate. I worked the marina during college for 3 years and castle rock was an island back in the 90's when I worked the houseboat docks. Best summer job I ever had. When rentals would return most folks would give us all stuff they did not use.

LV R SCHIADA'S

Reaction score
You may want to ensure everyone on the houseboat knows where the emergency equipment is !!!! Medical kit, fire extinguishers - helps to know how to actually use one !!!!, LIFE JACKETS- MAKE SURE THEY ARE THERE AND IN GOOD CONDITION !!!!

Phebus

Past Poster.
Reaction score
We have always just used the Stan Jones map. I had an old one that we had used for years that I had made notes on and marked all over. Blew out of the boat trailering home our last trip there, and I've been bummed since.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
:eek::eek: Holy Shit. Just cancel the trip and go to Havasu :D

Hugh Jascaulk

Reaction score
The Castlerock cut was redredged in 2009, taking the minimum lake level for passage to 3607 from 3622. Lake levels have been no problem since then. Lake level is currently 3628 and will rise all summer.

RVRKID

Reaction score
We have always did the early check in which got us on the boat and all packed up Fri night. We spend Sat going to the farthest point that we are taking the boat and camp there, usually the San Juan. That way everyone enjoys the ride up, especially if you have never been, and a great first day party on the boat getting everything settled. Then about every 2 days we move the HB back down towards Wahweap. The big thing also, besides having the right people, is make sure you watch the girls pack. The first time I took my girlfriend she had about 2 bags packed until I went thru them with her. You really only need bathing suits maybe one sweatshirt just in case and some other light clothes. We also always do a theme one night, like a luau theme, pretty fun and the girls are wearing coconuts and grass skirts.:champagne:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
We have always did the early check in which got us on the boat and all packed up Fri night. We spend Sat going to the farthest point that we are taking the boat and camp there, usually the San Juan. That way everyone enjoys the ride up, especially if you have never been, and a great first day party on the boat getting everything settled. Then about every 2 days we move the HB back down towards Wahweap. The big thing also, besides having the right people, is make sure you watch the girls pack. The first time I took my girlfriend she had about 2 bags packed until I went thru them with her. You really only need bathing suits maybe one sweatshirt just in case and some other light clothes. We also always do a theme one night, like a luau theme, pretty fun and the girls are wearing coconuts and grass skirts.:champagne:

Going up high early and working your way back closer to wahweap is the way to go.

Showing up at Wahweap at 5-6 on Sunday night and having to pack out when you arrive blows chunks. Its hot as hell and you cant park right at the boat and the guys with the quads and trailers running around are all busy right then.

Thats also when you get the final fuel bill so it can be emotional.

On drop off they insist the persons whose name is on the boat rental stay until they fill-er up. Then someone gets one giant final bill at the end of the trip.

UD

Long Way Home

Dog Days of Summer!
Reaction score
We would have a meeting with everyone about 6-8 weeks before we left on our trip to estimate the trip cost, HB deposit, driving, transportation & traveling arrangements, list of toys, what to pack/bring, houseboat safety, make up a food menu, who's buying the food, who's cooking, who's cleaning etc.
We would estimate the total cost for houseboat, boat gas, food and divide up the cost per person and place the money in the HB pot, from this point on all houseboat expenses will come out of the HB pot, the money that is left over after the trip is divided up. No refunds at this point , so if a someone backs out and they are out their money, not the entire group. We tried to set it up that once you arrived at the houseboat everything was covered. We would setup a menu and assign a meal to someone who wanted to cook and everybody else would clean up after the meal. Remind everyone it's everyone vacation and everyone has to pitch in.

Last edited:

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
My only advise is to be extremely careful with the personality mix. ANY issues can ruin the entire trip for the whole boat.

Have a great time!!!

x a bazzillion!

:eek::eek: Holy Shit. Just cancel the trip and go to Havasu :D

No shit! I'm remembering the one trip we did at Mead. We had a blast, it was beautiful, but it was one hell of a lot of work!!!

If I was to Ever do it again, I'd want to tag along with you experienced guys and pitch in how ever I could. It's not a vacation for the faint of heart. :)

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score

We are the complete opposite. We try to find a good spot and stay there. Moving the houseboat to a new spot and anchoring it PROPERLY is at least a half a day operation. For us the fun is taking the jetskis or boat out for a little cruise or just sitting in the water with a cocktail or 10 all day long.

I agree with the personality mix, meeting a couple months before and planning the trip/food situation and packing way lighter than you think you'll need.

Another thing we try to live by is don't have the houseboat off anchor after 2:00. It takes at least an hour to anchor the houseboat up and the wind tends to blow in around 3 or 4 a lot of nights. The wind can come out of nowhere, literally going from 0 to 40+ mph in 5 minutes.

We've been going to Powell every year for 15 years an we still learn something new every year so don't plan on being a pro your first time out but you'll definitely have an awesome memorable time!!!