WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Lake Powell - please educate me

Scott E

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the advice and tips, I really appreciate it.

The plan, I think, is to find a beach somewhere between Wahweap and Dangling Rope, ideally as close to midpoint as possible. Then we can use the Howard to go exploring up the lake, stopping at Dangling Rope each to top of the tanks.

When beaching for the night at basecamp, do people find it better to side-tie your boat to the houseboat or anchor it away, if enough space of course? I've seen pictures of both. However, I am not too keen on the idea the Howard side-tied to the houseboat even with the 8 fenders we have.

I'm going to spend some time programming my GPS with the desired waypoints so there is no fear of getting lost. Need to know where we are at all times.

This is the houseboat we will be on.

I had mentioned we should get together sometime in May to go over the menu and everything else.

We called and tried to get the pre-board but they said it is not available. The person on the phone said they only allow for the pre-boarding of one group per each houseboat model per trip. So, we booked a couple of rooms at the Lake Powell Resort for Friday night.

Last edited:

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

The plan, I think, is to find a beach somewhere between Wahweap and Dangling Rope, ideally as close to midpoint as possible. Then we can use the Howard to go exploring up the lake, stopping at Dangling Rope each to top of the tanks.

When beaching for the night at basecamp, do people find it better to side-tie your boat to the houseboat or anchor it away, if enough space of course? I've seen pictures of both. However, I am not too keen on the idea the Howard side-tied to the houseboat even with the 8 fenders we have.

I'm going to spend some time programming my GPS with the desired waypoints so there is no fear of getting lost. Need to know where we are at all times.

I had mentioned we should get together sometime in May to go over the menu and everything else.

We called and tried to get the pre-board but they said it is not available. The person on the phone said they only allow for the pre-boarding of one group per each houseboat model per trip. So, we booked a couple of rooms at the Lake Powell Resort for Friday night.

That boats pretty similar in size to the one I computed out.

A gps will help a lot, but dont expect "clairvoyance" in your awareness, because lake levels aren't compensated for in an overhead generic gps lake map - the net of this is that you could be looking at a lake looking at your GPS - but the view in front of your boat is a mountain sticking out of the water. Same place- very different result.

This is why you should drop the bone son the chart phebus mentioned- I saw one once and it was

How many of you?

We tied the boats up separately 75% of the time a houseboat can get sideways against a beach pretty quick in wind if you lose an anchor line or 2.

UD

azwetnwild

Reaction score
VHS radio, hand held or mounted on your howard. The house boat will have one on it already. They can come in real real handy.

If you tie the howard to the side ropes on the house boat get some water winnies and slice it down the center and put it on the rope, keeps the sand full rope from scratching.

dribble

Reaction score
I'll weigh in late because we have done a houseboat trip with between 8 and 14 people every year for the past 25 years. Our core group of ten has banned several people for life. They don't get invited back....ever. The most important (IMO) thing is to understand your place in the pecking order and to act accordingly. That goes for cooking, cleaning, loading, unloading etc.

For example. We had one tool bag who unilaterally decided he needed to back the houseboat boat off the shore as we were sitting down to eat dinner and had three of our boats tied to the houseboat. (His first houseboat trip, our 15th). That after four days of total drunken douchbaggery. Banned for life. :smackbum:

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Powell is one place where SeaDoos/PWCs actually make sense. Hauling ass through narrow canyons is un-real. Just be aware of potential , not seen until the last second, oncoming traffic. Best to travel in pairs, with a piece of tow line with you. The damned PWCs do like to break down.

If you're interested in fishing striped bass off the back of the HB, try to put it on a beach with a good drop off at your stern (20 ft depth or so). Otherwise you'll likely catch fish, but usually just small "mud cats" in the shallower water. At night a light over the back directly into the water attracts bait fish and the larger fish will usually follow. Frozen anchovies work well.

waynesword.com has alot of very good info on Powell. This lake is a fabulous, one of a kind place. . . Enjoy ! !

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Looks like this rig has 160 gallons of fresh water. 4-5 peeps this could last a while- maybe. 8 people- that waters going to go REAL fast.

Better start doing some math on how many trips to DR you're going to make.

As a comparison My 19 foot toyhauler holds 100.

Uncle Dave

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Having grown up going to Lake Powell I have two questions...

Who takes a shower?

AC?

OK, three questions.

Why a Jacuzzi on a houseboat?

azwetnwild

Reaction score

Who takes a shower?

AC?

OK, three questions.

We started LP in 94, started with hotels, tried beach camping once, hot.
In 98 bought a house boat, fun times, put it on a beach thew out a couple ankers tuned in the direct tv and thought this was heaven.

After the storm, that kicked us in the ass we researched and figured out what we liked and did not like about the lake.

Shower is nice.
AC is a must for us.
When we put our new boat in "2000 55 x 15 stairdust" there was electric for a Jacuzzi on top, this is one we said ?
We hold 300 fress water, I think the same as Aramarks boats, 200 gas, 100 for toy tank.

We go to Dangling at 3000 rpm on the HB and it takes 50 gal for both engines so not sure if Aramark boats are bad at fuel.

We strongly suggest a VHF/VHS radio on all boats.
We have had some of the personaliys discribed here "yep some will never come back".
It is a great lake, not the regulation we have seen on Havasue. there are Area's you can get away from the real world on the lake which is somthing we still love.
I am sure we will be up when your around so send me a PM if you want more info.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score

Who takes a shower?

AC?

OK, three questions.

1. Women - and long hair is the "long shower" excuse.

2. Need it to sleep when its 115 at night...

3. The jacuzzi is nice when you are visiting your own houseboat in the fall, the rig we use at mead has one and we go there all year long and its nice to be abel to use the jacuzzi especially in the fall.

On a powell boat in the middle of summer I think its a bit silly.

Uncle Dave

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Sleek-Jet, I agree.

You have a giant lake, take a shower in there. Everyone on our boat does, wouldn't have it any other way.

Generator gets shut off right before going to bed, and we sleep on top under the stars. Way better than sleeping in the boat IMHO. I hate it when it rains and we have to sleep inside...

Ragged Edge

Man in the Box
Reaction score
We like to anchor the HB up lake from Rainbow Bridge. The cattle boats do not go past that area so the lake is not as rough, and just one of those things can make a mess of the lake for about an hour. The waves just bounce back off of the rock walls, that is also why this lake is so dangerous when the wind picks up.

Uncle Dave

Reaction score
Sleek-Jet, I agree.

You have a giant lake, take a shower in there. Everyone on our boat does, wouldn't have it any other way.

Generator gets shut off right before going to bed, and we sleep on top under the stars. Way better than sleeping in the boat IMHO. I hate it when it rains and we have to sleep inside...

I love sleeping on the roof of the houseboat- right until the gnats and mosquitos come to play...

UD

relaxalot

Reaction score
Great thread! I love Powell! I don't know if it has been discussed but you may need to pitch down on your prop 2 degrees. Lake Powell is at a much higher altitude. If you have smaller pitch prop you will probably need it. When I went I brought extra fuel but did not need it. If you require 91 octane check the availability at Dangling Rope. I would also recommend bringing a Sawyer water filter! You will never have to worry about running out of water with one of these.

When they say be careful of the tour boats they mean it! Tie the big boat down and leave it. Have fun and don't forget to upgrade your Sea Tow or Vessel assist coverage to insure that you are covered for Powell.

Rickybobby

Reaction score
Came in late as well on this thred, but we did our trip out of BullFrog and went south to Escalande Canyon. Stayed in a different location every night. Used the rollbar boat to scout out new locations. We were told to find a mooring with protection from the Monsoons that show up.... Which they did and we were glad we had locked down the HB and tied up the malibu away from the HB (those things are huge sails !!!)

Our first night out, a slight breeze came up with a gentle lapping against the HB hull, nice and relaxing!!!! Until the lighting and thunder hit and rain blowing sideways............ one of the top five adventure/vacations of our and our children's lives..... would do it again in a minute. Next time, will order food on line and pay to have it delivered to the HB... the morning rush/hump to load the boat was the least fun part of the trip... take extra fuel (not a good place to run out)... Potato launchers are illegal :D

LV R SCHIADA'S

Reaction score
Escalante River and the San Juan are awesome !!!, but the further North you go the terrain just keeps changing, especially if you go to Hite,,,,thats a long trip.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
My Wife and I spent 7 days on one of the little 40'ers back in Sept of 96 for our honeymoon. Have not been back since but I would love to go again someday. Although our House Boat was kind of bare bones with NO GEN and no AC, we went in Sept. so that was not a huge deal. Would I rent another no frills deal again...hell no, but budget dictated it and there was just the two us us so handling a 65' monster was kind of out of the question.

We went out of wawheep and drove, towing the boat, to Last Chance Bay, about 7 fingers down on the east side. Parked it and never moved the boat again. Used our little 18' Rinell to run around the lake exploring. Back then a Handheld GPS was expensive but worth every penny.

Along with all the advice I will add and reiterate a few:

1. Tour Boat captains will intentionally cause you drama. They watch the movie roadhouse and beat off, I am certain of it. Close the front slider door and strap down everything on the forward deck. Water is coming over. We had to stop twice and go swimming for stuff. Use your middle finger and say thanks.

2. You need a fuel efficient boat. Loose the 600 hp and bring a low HP fuel efficient something because those oohs and awes will burn fuel. There is allot to see.

3. Rainbow bridge - A must see but don't follow a tour boat in there. Wait a bit because the water can actually form holes your boat will fall into. We hit one so hard it twisted my wifes ankle and cracked the boat. Those narrows can get extremely rough, especially after a displacement tour boat with a masturbating Capitan runs hard in there.

4. Don't leave Dangling Rope Marina to the last second. We spent a night in a slip there because they had power problems after a monsoon and could not pump gas. So we waited and by morning were still drunk so we waited some more. LOL If this happens you will not be alone. Instant party.

5. Afternoon storms - Get in a cove. Ever seen a 6' roller with 3 second spacing? That will shrivel the nuts of even the biggest testosterone injected cage fighter. You sink in 250' of water, your not getting it back.

6. Night travel - Pay attention to the Nav buoys and know what they mean. You will need them at some point. Once you turn down a bay to find the finger your in then you will need a hand held flood. You will use this more than you think.

7. Moving the houseboat daily...good luck with that. That will consume so much time it's what you will remember most. Skip that and boat more.

Be ready for 1000's of pictures and glass water in the mornings that almost looks fake. Unreal good time. :thumbsup

Last edited:

lake p.a.l.

Reaction score
Tie your boat & seadoo off away from the houseboat in case something (ie wind/storm) rolls in at night. You will not be a happy man if that houseboat comes loose and pins your boat up against the rocks/beach.

Motor Boater

Reaction score
I basically grew up on lake powell and know that lake like the back of my hand but the one rule i always stick is dont boat at night. I have seen more lost, wrecked, hurt people and boats than u can imagine. What everyone says about the storms is true, they come up hard and fast. I have been in a houseboat heading back to the marina with waves hitting us that were so big water was going over the top deck and we were scared the front windows were going to break.

On another note we rent every year from antelope and being able to board the night before is huge. So nice to get loaded and all set up the night before. We party at the dock and leave early the next morning. Having people load your boat and carry all your gear from your car to the houseboat via golf carts is not so bad either.

cal king

Reaction score
Ok I'm new here, I'm very interested in this thread, We just bought in to a house boat this year. We head out from Antelope Point last week of June.
Our plan is to take a few years to see the lake. We figured we would stay somewhat on the south end this year, Can anyone point out some good areas to camp. thanks

Patyacht

Reaction score
I basically grew up on lake powell and know that lake like the back of my hand but the one rule i always stick is dont boat at night. I have seen more lost, wrecked, hurt people and boats than u can imagine. What everyone says about the storms is true, they come up hard and fast. I have been in a houseboat heading back to the marina with waves hitting us that were so big water was going over the top deck and we were scared the front windows were going to break.

On another note we rent every year from antelope and being able to board the night before is huge. So nice to get loaded and all set up the night before. We party at the dock and leave early the next morning. Having people load your boat and carry all your gear from your car to the houseboat via golf carts is not so bad either.

Great Thread. 1st time I boated Powell was in the early 80's. Used to be able to boat all the way up to Rainbow. Now I think it is about a 1.25 mile walk. At least it was the last time I was there in 2004 or 05. So Does Antelope let you load the night before and Wahweap not? Or is it a pay extra benny at both?

Duffster

Reaction score
My only advise is to be extremely careful with the personality mix. ANY issues can ruin the entire trip for the whole boat.

Have a great time!!!

Very true statement. Had a asshole on our last trip and never going again with them. :(

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
Great Thread. 1st time I boated Powell was in the early 80's. Used to be able to boat all the way up to Rainbow. Now I think it is about a 1.25 mile walk. At least it was the last time I was there in 2004 or 05.

The water was WAY low in '05, it's come up a ton in the last couple years and water is back under the bridge. You can't boat right up to it, but you only have to walk about 500' before you can see it.

So nice to see lakes filling back up :D

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
If your HB gets hit by a strong cross wind (and it will happen) DON'T remove, or attempt to re-tie, any of the lines running to your anchors. Start up both HB engines, keep all lines at the stern clear of the props, and gently "push the bank" with the power of the HB engines. Depending on the strength and direction of the wind, you may have to put one in fwd and the other in rev, to "twist" your HB square to the beach and adjust revs as needed. Have someone aft to keep an eye on all lines in that area. Make sure all PWCs and small boats are secured away from the HB. These weather systems are typically brief and but can be extremely strong. Unnecessary removal of an anchor line can cause further problems and lots of additional work after the system passes.

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
lots of good info , WATCH THE LITTLE KIDS ! if you see something floating like a jug , bottle , old life vest dont go pick it up ITS A ROCK ! fuel is at waaweep , anpelope point , dang rock ( marker # 43 ? ) :cool:

Brian B

Reaction score
Awesome thread! Thanks for the info fellas!

I grew up tent camping out of a rental pontoon with my dad and remember those trips as some of the best times of my life!

Luckily, this year I have been invited on a houseboat trip that is an established annual guys trip with the owner of the boat. (I'm told its one of the nicest HB's at Antelope) My only requirement is to bring, and fuel my Mastercraft for skiing and cruising. I have NO PROBLEM with that!

After that trip I want to take my son, my dad, and a few friends up in September. I think I'm going to rent a pontoon for gear, tents, and coolers and camp on a beach somewhere. This thread has scared the idea of renting, and managing a houseboat trip out of me!

Tell me, should one expect to be hassled by the law while on the lake for a week?

dawnpatrol

Reaction score
Lots of valuable information has been discussed. I've been to Powell a number of times and was extremely overwhelmed the first time I was there. A detailed map of the lake is a MUST have tool. I bought mine at the marina but I'm sure you can find them other places. The map references the numbers on the channel buoys which equates to miles on the lake in relation to distance to marinas as well as other valuable information. If it hasn't been mentioned here is a very good site relating to Powell with information including fuel prices.

Hope this helps, be safe and have a great time..

http://www.wayneswords.com/

Tremor Therapy

Reaction score
lots of good info , WATCH THE LITTLE KIDS ! if you see something floating like a jug , bottle , old life vest dont go pick it up ITS A ROCK ! fuel is at waaweep , anpelope point , dang rock ( marker # 43 ? ) :cool:

This was not mentioned yet, and I totally forgot about it! Thank you Mark for bringing this up. There are many spots on the lake where you will all of the sudden see a floating jug, or an old life jacket. Your first instinct will be that you need to go take that "trash" off of this beautiful lake. Not necessarily so! On our first trip we had 2 boats get damaged as we headed over to a floating jug.....it ended up being a marker for a shallow rocky spot. 2 years ago we were up past Dangling Rope and saw a small floating bottle right in front of us. A quick right turn helped us avoid another rocky out cropping.

This lake is fun, but things can catch up to you if you don't pay attention. writing down some of the particulars of what has been suggested here and taking it to your all hands pre-trip party would be a good thing.

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
All of this info is awesome. I did Powell many, many years ago and NEED to go again! Have fun be safe, take only pictures, leave only footprints. :D

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
Boy...where do I start..First off you could be in for a great time or a really frustrating one.

Have you ever gone anywhere in an RV or toyhauler where you have to conserve resources and share things like bathrooms towels food, fuel, and even (especially) water?

If you partners dont know how to do this sit down and have a serious talk with them loong before you go anywhere.

One 40 Minute luxurious shower and your mates have blown 2 days worth of water and it could cost 500 bucks in gas to go get more. Or worse yet fills your black tank and you cant use the head until you find a pump out.

Ill never forget when 3 extra kids showed up on a houseboat trip and one came out of a half hour shower with three towels on.
NICE!

Prep as many meals as you possibly can before hand - like camping pre cooked just reheat cooking inside an already hot houseboat makes it hard to cool down and you may not have enough fuel to run a genny 24-7 and its no fun being hot at night.
Better yet spilt the cooking and when it comes to it - you are covered, alternating cooking meals works well especially if you prepped.

My advice would be take along a boat or ski and tow it up lake and use the little rig to find spot for the day rig. If you are moving around you should try to find a space by 3-4 because you dont want to be trying to anchor that pig a night.

You cant get into the little nooks and crannies with a houseboat anyway.

Know that driving a house boat around is about a 10 gallon per (per engine) deal so you'd best be going in with the understanding you are going to be spending BIG money on fuel.

Fuel will be a bit over 5 maybe 6 a gallon but at 5 a gallon you get a 100 per hour fuel bill

Have you ever anchored a houseboat? it takes 2 at a minimum in calm water and 4 or more if its rough.

All this "move the boat around everyday talk is laughable." It will likely take you an hour per day to actually get the boat secured, and try to never camp n a main channel - the wind will just blow you around

Heres a tip, buy a katadyn camp water filter and filter lake water instead of bringing cases of bottled water you have to manage the trash for.

Make sure the other couple knows the physical work is a shared responsibility- often a novice couple will just "expect" all this to happen somehow and bitch and moan when you make them pull their weight or worse yet they just cant even do anything (no skills at all)

You really need to think all this through and be realistic about it.

If you manage all these and more - you will have the time of your life and remember it foreever if you dont - then it can/will be a total nightmare.

Uncle Dave

Fuck all that!!! I am never going houseboating!!!!!:eek:

I will just keep getting sloshed on my 21fter for the day!

Duffster

Reaction score
This was not mentioned yet, and I totally forgot about it! Thank you Mark for bringing this up. There are many spots on the lake where you will all of the sudden see a floating jug, or an old life jacket. Your first instinct will be that you need to go take that "trash" off of this beautiful lake. Not necessarily so! On our first trip we had 2 boats get damaged as we headed over to a floating jug.....it ended up being a marker for a shallow rocky spot. 2 years ago we were up past Dangling Rope and saw a small floating bottle right in front of us. A quick right turn helped us avoid another rocky out cropping.

This lake is fun, but things can catch up to you if you don't pay attention. writing down some of the particulars of what has been suggested here and taking it to your all hands pre-trip party would be a good thing.

And don't go with assholes :D