WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

John Force has huge crash in qualifying

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Screenshot_20240717-140933_Facebook.jpg

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
They’re gonna bring John‘s car back in a couple of weeks. They haven’t decided on the driver yet, but everyone online is voting for Jack Beckman.

I said shortly after the accident that JB should be the interim, and maybe fulltime driver to take that seat! EVERYONE loves JB, and he can wheel a car!

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
The following is a statement from John Force Racing's president Robert Hight on the future of the PEAK Chevrolet Camaro Funny Car team.

While the 75 year-old-racer is sidelined indefinitely, John Force Racing president Robert Hight confirmed Thursday a plan to put the 16-time champion’s PEAK Antifreeze and Coolant Chevrolet Camaro SS back in competition before the start of the NHRA’s Countdown to the Championship in September.

“After conversations with John’s team and with our partners, especially Brian Bohlander at PEAK and Jim Campbell at Chevrolet, and with John’s input and approval, we have begun taking the steps necessary to get the PEAK Chevy back on the racetrack,” Hight said.

The tentative target for the car’s return is the 47th annual Cornwell Tools Night Under Fire, August 2-3, at Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk, Ohio, an event in which Force was to have raced against Funny Car rivals Ron Capps, Cruz Pedregon and Dale Creasy Jr. as part of a show that also includes Top Fuel dragsters, jets and a world class fireworks show.

“We hope to tie up all the loose ends and introduce a driver some time right after Sonoma (the DENSO NHRA Sonoma Nationals, July 26-28),” Hight said. “There’s a good pool of driving talent out there but, obviously, we need to find the right fit for both the team and our sponsors.”

Hight, a three-time NHRA Funny Car Champion and two-time Seattle winner, has himself been sidelined this year by health issues, his seat in the Cornwell Tools Camaro capably filled by current point leader Austin Prock, who this week is trying to become just the third driver to win Northwest Nationals titles in both Top Fuel and Funny Car.

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
I said shortly after the accident that JB should be the interim, and maybe fulltime driver to take that seat! EVERYONE loves JB, and he can wheel a car!
I cant think of a better fit than Beckman. His personality is as close to JF as anybody else out there, and I dont think I have ever heard a negative thing about the man.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
Lingering short term memory issues? That’s clearly not a new problem to anyone who’s heard him interviewed. He goes off script and loses his train of thought a lot more than even Biden. That’s just John!
Yep, pretty much spot on!

poncho

Reaction score
Lingering short term memory issues? That’s clearly not a new problem to anyone who’s heard him interviewed. He goes off script and loses his train of thought a lot more than even Biden. That’s just John!
Watching Steve Evans interview John at the finish line back in the day was some of the best entertainment on television. 👍 👍 👍

rrrr

Reaction score
The news about John's recovery continues to be miraculous.

John Force, the winningest driver in NHRA Drag Racing history has taken another step in his recovery from a traumatic brain injury suffered in a car explosion and crash into two concrete walls June 23 at Virginia Motorsports Park.

According to a late Tuesday afternoon press release from John Force Racing, the 75-year-old Funny Car legend has been released from the Barrow Neurological Institute in Arizona where he was undergoing rehabilitation.

Here's the skinny, straight from JFR:

According to family members, while the 16-time Funny Car Champion will continue to work with therapists specializing in such injuries, it now will be on an outpatient basis in California.

“He finally gets to sleep in his own bed,” said daughter Ashley Hood who, with sisters Brittany, Courtney and Adria and mother, Laurie, maintained a constant presence through the Hall of Fame driver and car owner’s hospitalizations in Virginia and Arizona.

The next phase in the recovery process will be outpatient speech, as well as OTPT (Occupational and Physical Therapy) to address lingering short-term memory and cognitive issues.

SoCalDave

Reaction score
JFR made a statement at Sanoma Nationals Finals yesterday they will be announcing John's replacement driver within the next 48 hours.
Beckman or TJ?

timstoy

Reaction score
JFR made a statement at Sanoma Nationals Finals yesterday they will be announcing John's replacement driver within the next 48 hours.
Beckman or TJ?
I hope Beckman! We raced with him and his future wife Jena years ago in the SCEDA racing series. He is the same person you see on TV and helped us and many others start their racing careers. He also taught all the Force girls when Jack worked for Frank Hawleys drag racing school when it was still in Pomona. So Jack has a personal connection with the Force’s. Nothing against TJ he is a excellent driver and former teammate with Jack.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Beckman or TJ?
I also wondered if TJ was in the running.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
Never heard that story, but that is F'n cool!

It’s an amazing story and Bilge told it amazingly. I’ll see if I can find the thread.

Found it!!

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
Does anyone have information as to why Alan Reinhart has not been announcing at the last 2 events? I sure miss him doing the commentary on NHRA.tv.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Found it!!

That could be the best drag racing story I've read or heard. Sharing or donating engine parts used to be commonplace, but still cool. The garage guys had to go corporate to hang on. To read of these guys still having roots with their fans, and ties to the idea of familiy...absolutely wonderful. I haven't been to the track in years, but it sounds like Beck is someone to cheer for.

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
That could be the best drag racing story I've read or heard. Sharing or donating engine parts used to be commonplace, but still cool. The garage guys had to go corporate to hang on. To read of these guys still having roots with their fans, and ties to the idea of familiy...absolutely wonderful. I haven't been to the track in years, but it sounds like Beck is someone to cheer for.

Jack is a great dude. I’ll be rooting for him for sure.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
I am stoked for not only JB, but the NHRA! Granted, Force IS the NHRA, but JB is always a fan favorite, stays out of the drama, and can drive the car! The cheering behind JB the remainder of the season will be HUGE! Hopefully big enough that PEAK will see that and keep enough $ flowing to keep him in the ride next year!

callbob

semi flaccid member
Reaction score
I think that was a fabulous choice! Always liked Jack and his interviews were spot on. Go get ya some Jack!

MonkeyButt70

Reaction score
The kicker is that I believe if Fast Jack can score the points, Force can technically win his 17th title?
Am I interpreting the rule correctly?
His car can race 8 races without John driving to win him the championship. That is why they waited for Brainered to start racing with Jack. There are 8 races remaining until final.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
The kicker is that I believe if Fast Jack can score the points, Force can technically win his 17th title?
Am I interpreting the rule correctly?
Yes, as a sub the points go to Force. It works out that the 8 race limit for subbing gets him to the end of the season.

ETA: beaten by Brian and MonkeyButt