WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

John Force has huge crash in qualifying

boatpi

Reaction score
So I don’t have a clip. I took it off my TV cause I’m a bit bit of a rush, but I just saw this.
He was conscious and they took him to a hospital for evaluation yesterday

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
yesterday or today??? If it was yesterday he must be OK....he won first round today

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Today round 1, not yesterday.
Needless to say he won’t make the call for round 2.
They cut in the recorded qualifying broadcast to show it.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Baytown was worse looking, if they hadn't made the changes in the chassis after that crash this very well could be worse one yet for him.
I haven't seen the chassis under these things in a long time. Last I really had a look was in the early 2000's, and at that point they were still pretty much the same they had been for some time. It was also when a 300 pass with a FC was rare...and also 1320. Over 300 in 1000 is simply mind blowing.

boatpi

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification it could’ve been this morning. They just had this 30 second. Insert into the qualifying TV broadcast that went on at 10 AM today.

FS1 broadcast everything at 2 PM today.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
Prayer for John. I hope that injuries are minimal.

Always have enjoyed him and his theatrics. He was so generous with our son even at the age that our son. Our son didn’t even have a clue who he was. Our son was so excited to go see the races. In the lobby on race day Force walked to the lobby. We stopped and asked to take a photo with him. Our sone says to him. Hey I am going to the races today. John comments….”cool, so am I! I be right behind you.“ Sealed the deal over the years as the image was up on him wall through his childhood. Image was from about 2000

IMG_0623.png

4Waters

Reaction score
I haven't seen the chassis under these things in a long time. Last I really had a look was in the early 2000's, and at that point they were still pretty much the same they had been for some time. It was also when a 300 pass with a FC was rare...and also 1320. Over 300 in 1000 is simply mind blowing.
His crash in Baytown the chassis split mid femur area due to where a weld was of the cage and the rest of the chassis leaving his legs exposed, supposedly looked very similar to Eric's crash, normal for the time in all the dragsters and funny cars. They now require the loop around the back or the driver to extend past the drivers feet, basically that's now part of the cage

boatpi

Reaction score
Last video showed him being medivacted out but he was sitting up on a gurney and didn’t seem to be in too much pain you get the feeling is isn’t anything too critical.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
His crash in Baytown the chassis split mid femur area due to where a weld was of the cage and the rest of the chassis leaving his legs exposed, supposedly looked very similar to Eric's crash, normal for the time in all the dragsters and funny cars. They now require the loop around the back or the driver to extend past the drivers feet, basically that's now part of the cage
Looking at the video of this wreck and the previous...definitely some impressive chassis work. It looks like the chassis is horribly tweaked, but intact. Chassis builder did real good.

Don’t forget the guy is 75 years old.

What’s that equate to in “John Force years”…like forty something?
I was thinking that with the above post about imaging wrecking at 300. At 300mph, and 75 years old, that's damn impressive. Just keep going John, the reaper can't keep up ;)

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Glad he’s OK…..
I bet that’s the last time he stops by China Buffet before he’s due to race.

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
Surprised to see that safety wall sticking out.
That’s nuts

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
He impacted the left wall at the absolute worst possible place, right where the concrete protrudes out.
5’ either way would have been much less impact.

Is that the same thing in Blaine Johnson's Crash?

Jonas Grumby

The Skipper
Reaction score
Comment from @BrittanyForce on her father John Force following his round 1 accident at the #VirginiaNats:

"My dad's going to be okay, I was in the ambulance with him holding his hand. He's one of the toughest people I know, so he'll bounce back like he always does."

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Is that the same thing in Blaine Johnson's Crash?
Man, Blaine’s crash at Indy was so violent it’s hard to even watch it again.
He impacted a retaining barrier hard with the left rear which immediately broke the chassis in half.
After that it went right to the other wall and everything disintegrated into pure nightmare melee and violence.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I can’t hardly stand Tony Pedregon’s endless blather, but he does raise a valid question.
Why did the chutes not automatically deploy when the burst panel went bye bye?
Was the explosion so complete it destroyed the actuator mechanism?

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
Man, Blaine’s crash at Indy was so violent it’s hard to even watch it again.
He impacted a retaining barrier hard with the left rear which immediately broke the chassis in half.
After that it went right to the other wall and everything disintegrated into pure nightmare melee and violence.

The "TEAM" of Blaine & Allan was destined to "OWN" op Fuel for years:confused:

The Damn Gate!!

Blaine was such a Mellow Cool Guy.

Was Scott Kalitta's Crash like this one also?

Tom Slick

Reaction score
I think he was knocked unconscious momentarily from the blast, then he was along for the ride. No chutes.
Funny Cars are equipped with safety shutoff devises that automatically deploy the chutes, shut off the fuel and kill the ignition when an explosion occurs. In this case, the safety devices appear to have not worked given the the chutes never deployed. Hope John makes a speedy recovery.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
I think he was knocked unconscious momentarily from the blast, then he was along for the ride. No chutes.
The burst panel should have automatically deployed the chutes and cut off the fuel at the explosion regardless of Forces state of consciousness.
This is a safety feature required ever since Scott Kallita was killed after being (probably) knocked out in a finish line explosion just like John’s explosion today.
It’s also the exact reason they race 1000’ in fuel now instead of 1320’.

In Scott’s fatal crash you can see his chutes are eventually out before the impact, but it’s assumed he was unconscious because the brakes never appeared to be applied.
It’s hard to say if Scott hit the chutes or not.
Still, adding the automatic chutes and fuel shut off, and adding 300’ to the shutdown area by shortening the racing distance to 1000’ was absolutely mandatory IMO.
Most of the tracks on the nhra national tour do not have the property available to lengthen the shut down and still maintain 1320’ fuel races.

Last edited:

oldboatsrule

Reaction score
I can’t hardly stand Tony Pedregon’s endless blather, but he does raise a valid question.
Why did the chutes not automatically deploy when the burst panel went bye bye?
Was the explosion so complete it destroyed the actuator mechanism?

Most likely yes. Forces cars run the chute handles mounted to the roof panel. Electric over air actuators operate the auto chute system wether it be from a burst panel, pan pressure sensor or the auto shut off the crew chief holds at the starting line. All of these were operating no doubt. But if the actuator is blown from the cable, or the wiring the result will be no chutes. Also I seriously doubt he could reach the handles after the roof relocation.

With the damage to the body, I am surprised that the chutes didn't deploy simply from being shaken out. Or the cable pulled from the bag .

One2go

Reaction score
That was wild ! He has been through some bad ones. This has to be one if the worst. Interesting info about the chassis changes shared.

FreeBird236

Reaction score
Not trying to make lite of this horrific crash, but it appears John may need some dental work, can't imagine the forces. Praying for a speedy recovery.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Knowing John's reputation, he was driving that wrecked car all the way till it stopped, fireball and all.

The late Al Hoffman was another brass balls SOB in his FC. This is the one I thought would be his last. He died of a heart attack later in life at his home in FL.
Flames only in his line of sight, car starts to pitch, and he corrected it...Hoffman was a badass!

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I’m guessing he didn’t break anything this time around due to the chassis changes they made since 2007.