WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I screwed up again!!!!trailer ?????

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
can't win when you chase a fuc up!!!!... hallett put this 270 on a 7000 gross
tandun axel trailer..

lets do the math...base boat about 4600 lbs....

lets add 125 gals of fuel.....800 lbs,,,

now lets add about 300lbs of cabinets and furniture

and how about 400 more for the open bow with bunks..

now lets add extra battery's, fill up the ice chest,sand spike, box anchore, folding chairs, 15 life jackets, extra oil. 500 lbs

gross boat=6500lbs????..... who thinks the trailer weighs 2000 lbs...

my last hallett, the first thing I did was put it on a 10,000 lbs trailer!!

now I'm setting here with a trailer that has brand new E rated tires, brand new
stainless fenders... brand new carpeted bunks w/ all new treated wood and stainless fasteners,,,,,
what do I do???? add a leaf to the springs???

piss on the fire and call the dogs in?? and go buy a new triple axel trailer???

:bash:

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
No biggy, throw a set of 5200lb axles and springs under it. Mount your E-rated tires on some new rims. 10,400 gross. Go play:thumbsup

Let me know when it's done. I'll jet down and go for a ride. Still have my Ronald McDonald costume?

icecreaman

Reaction score
It's more about axel ratings than the leaf springs. To small of a bearing and spindle, when they fail you'll be spitting glowing red roller bearings out the side like tracer bullets in a fire fight. If the frame is up to it, you could slide in a couple of 10,000 lbs axels fairly cheap. Address the leaf spring ratings at the same time.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
just talked to randy at Skips spring shop,...

the springs on the trailer are 4pack=...6000 lbs gross...

I think I'll change them to 5pack....7300 lb gross

I can't believe this has been this way since 1996!!! wtf!!

I might even go to the next higher spring...couldn't hurt...

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
No biggy, throw a set of 5200lb axles and springs under it. Mount your E-rated tires on some new rims. 10,400 gross. Go play:thumbsup

Let me know when it's done. I'll jet down and go for a ride. Still have my Ronald McDonald costume?

Agreed. Prolly pick em up cheap somewhere too. Well, lot cheaper than a whole trailer anyway!

can't win when you chase a fuc up!!!!... hallett put this 270 on a 7000 gross
tandun axel trailer..

lets do the math...base boat about 4600 lbs....

lets add 125 gals of fuel.....800 lbs,,,

now lets add about 300lbs of cabinets and furniture

and how about 400 more for the open bow with bunks..

now lets add extra battery's, fill up the ice chest,sand spike, box anchore, folding chairs, 15 life jackets, extra oil. 500 lbs

gross boat=6500lbs????..... who thinks the trailer weighs 2000 lbs...

my last hallett, the first thing I did was put it on a 10,000 lbs trailer!!

now I'm setting here with a trailer that has brand new E rated tires, brand new
stainless fenders... brand new carpeted bunks w/ all new treated wood and stainless fasteners,,,,,
what do I do???? add a leaf to the springs???

piss on the fire and call the dogs in?? and go buy a new triple axel trailer???

:bash:

So your sayin RD was right the whole time???

shocker.gif

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
It's more about axel ratings than the leaf springs. To small of a bearing and spindle, when they fail you'll be spitting glowing red roller bearings out the side like tracer bullets in a fire fight. If the frame is up to it, you could slide in a couple of 10,000 lbs axels fairly cheap. Address the leaf spring ratings at the same time.

my case it's more about the weak springs...

Last edited:

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

I would weigh the thing.

I agree with this plus the HD 5k axle will be 6 lug. I would have a trailer shop put two 5k axles under it with bigger brakes on BOTH axles. New rims and put your E rated tires back on.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I would weigh the thing.

I agree with this plus the HD 5k axle will be 6 lug. I would have a trailer shop put two 5k axles under it with bigger brakes on BOTH axles. New rims and put your E rated tires back on.

I'm gonna put the new springs.... then weight the boat/trailer,full of gas..

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
I'm gonna put the new springs.... then weight the boat/trailer,full of gas..

Do that 1st IMO. If your way out you need to change the axles or your going to cook bearings and blow tires. Springs will help the way it pulls no doubt but in order to really increase your rating you need to swap out axles.

If your just near or slightly over 7K then springs or nothing. I am sure you have 3500# axles.

707dog

Reaction score
screw it steve just trade me for the 210...lol..wonder if many ever people do the math like you did!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
Do that 1st IMO. If your way out you need to change the axles or your going to cook bearings and blow tires. Springs will help the way it pulls no doubt but in order to really increase your rating you need to swap out axles.

If your just near or slightly over 7K then springs or nothing. I am sure you have 3500# axles.

Sounds like he's gonna need both to make this thing right. Weight it first and you'll know what you need to do. Be easier to swap em both out at one time.

DaveTic

Reaction score
If you add leafs your tires will still be rated at thier max.

After having two blow outs and sitting on the 15fwy with new flat tires I had Kustom Trailers add a 3rd axel. Worked out well as going to Powell coming down out of the gorge the brakes heated and I lost a wheel bearing chained it up finished the trip.

spectras only

Reaction score
2Forcefull , what is the problem exactly ? My boat sits on a Ryan tandem trailer with 3500 lbs Dexter axles and 12" brakes , 6 lug hubs. The trailer was specifically made for my boat , total package 8300 lbs on the truck scale .Boat must be at least 6500 lbs with twin 6.2 engines .
Other than the trailer needs some serious TLC , surface rust and paint , it never had a tire issue . Of course we don't have the scorching heat up here like you guys , but I do trailer to the Okanagan on occasions, 250 miles ea way. I'll see how many leaves I got on mine .

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

the spring guy said they should of had one more spring leaf to begin with..
so they were about 20% underrated...

the tires are rated at 2850 lbs each..

now, the foc'n tounge crank stripped cause you have to go all the way to the max, then stand on the bumper to pull out

Last edited:

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
2Forcefull , what is the problem exactly ? My boat sits on a Ryan tandem trailer with 3500 lbs Dexter axles and 12" brakes , 6 lug hubs. The trailer was specifically made for my boat , total package 8300 lbs on the truck scale .Boat must be at least 6500 lbs with twin 6.2 engines .
Other than the trailer needs some serious TLC , surface rust and paint , it never had a tire issue . Of course we don't have the scorching heat up here like you guys , but I do trailer to the Okanagan on occasions, 250 miles ea way. I'll see how many leaves I got on mine .

the problem is the springs don't hold 7000 lbs...they bottom out...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
Sounds like he's gonna need both to make this thing right. Weight it first and you'll know what you need to do. Be easier to swap em both out at one time.

when you weigh you have to subtract the unsprung weight, wheels and axels

also 15% for tounge weight..

springs have to be enough to carry the boat and trailer weight , axels have to carry the same

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

see if your axels are round.........

PolarBearKing

The Ass Man
Reaction score
see if your axels are round.........

Are yours? Seriously, it's not like you're towing 300 miles every other weekend.

Why do you need to fix something that's not broken? It's been like that for almost 15 years.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Are yours? Seriously, it's not like you're towing 300 miles every other weekend.

Why do you need to fix something that's not broken? It's been like that for almost 15 years.

It sounds as if the larger tires he's running are hitting the fenders as the suspension works. Thus his increasing the spring pack.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

so you don't know what either of us is talking about:rotflmao::rotflmao:

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
It sounds as if the larger tires he's running are hitting the fenders as the suspension works. Thus his increasing the spring pack.

acually the spring is flatening out and hitting the center equalizer...

or yes it would have blown the foc'n fenders off going down the 40...

thats what blew the other tire out... no suspension..:bowdown:

Last edited:

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score

it's acually 380 round trip...

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
You're right..All this boating & trailer talk on RDP has me lost. :bash: :D

well,just to help you out....3500 lb axels are square tube,

5000Lb are round...

if i'm even close, I'll upgrade to the 5000 axels and new wheels,

I want to get new wheels anyway

MMD

Banned Inmate #2584...Now Inmate #20161
Reaction score
...when they fail you'll be spitting glowing red roller bearings out the side like tracer bullets in a fire fight.

Nicely written!

Kinda like this huh? :D

Web%20Night%20Tracers.jpg

mbrown2

Reaction score
Let them fail....the thread would get more views that way.

PolarBearKing

The Ass Man
Reaction score
well,just to help you out....3500 lb axels are square tube,

5000Lb are round...

if i'm even close, I'll upgrade to the 5000 axels and new wheels,

I want to get new wheels anyway

Holy shiat, I learned something today. :cool:

Guess I can start drinking now. :drnkfr

Rvrluvr

CLAMP ON RACING
Reaction score

boat only had 150 hours on it, not enough time to be broken IMO. 2FF will use this boat alot and probably tow it to different locations (Tahoe, Havi, Powell). Got the feeling its gonna see some miles on the trailer.

Boat runs sweet and rides like a Caddy, would be fun to do some traveling in this one.:thumbsup

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
well, it really was broken... one busted leaf...

so I got all new 10,000 lb springs..

then went and weighed everthing...

anyone wanna guess the 2010 dodge 4x4 1500 hemi?

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I took my 270 hallett, tandum axel trailer, drum brakes.

open bow, loaded ,full fuel... weighed it...7320 lbs:thumbsup

Attachments

• finished270 001.jpg
    finished270 001.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 2,545

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
the tongue weight was 660, on the axel was 6660:rolleyes:

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
how did they figure out the tongue wieght?

I ran it thru the scales, just the truck first..the truck was 5880 lbs
the front,3260... rear 2620 then hooked up to the boat

total was 13200 lbs...steer was 2980, drive....3540,... trailer...6680..

i then subtracted the known truck weight...5820 lbs that told me the boat and trailer weight...7320 lbs...

then subtract the trailer axel weight 7320-6660=660lbs tongue weight

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
what is a tandum axel trailer worth?? I just spent 1800.00
to fix it..:rolleyes:

Motor Boater

Reaction score
what is a tandum axel trailer worth?? I just spent 1800.00
to fix it..:rolleyes:

In my opinion you are throwing good money after bad. Im in the same position, boat is 29 feet on a tandem axle trailer. If something happens to an axle on the highway your boat is too big for a tow truck so you have to be able to chain up an axle. The boat is way too heavy to run on one tire. But if you had a triple axle trailer you would have no problems. I just ran into this exact situation. Boat stuck on the freeway in the middle of the night. Only thing that could tow me was a semi truck and trailer that was several hours away and not even available after hours. Ended up having to tow on 3 tires back to a small town and leave my boat in the middle of no where, drive home, get parts the next day and drive back. All this head ache to repair $60 in Bearings and hubs. Ended up costing me over $600

Vmjtc3

Banned
Reaction score
I have a triple I used for my 270 cyclone. Its been sitting in California for the last couple of years collecting dust. Right now its blocked in behind a non running motor home that is supposed to be moved out by next month. I will put it in the spam section when I can access it, if anyone has any interest.

Liquid Life

Reaction score
What would be involved to convert his tandem into a triple? Can an axle be added off the the rear one? Or does everything have to be moved for weight balance?

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
What would be involved to convert his tandem into a triple? Can an axle be added off the the rear one? Or does everything have to be moved for weight balance?

everything has to be moved,you need new fenders...