WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

I know this is a boating site but can we please get a good snowmobile thread going???

sml

Reaction score
@Ace in the Hole @JD D05 @JD D05 …..anyone else? Santa came early for me! :D heading to tug hill
8877BF46-7782-4400-B718-294ECBC59F99.jpeg

Last edited:

Mcob25rg

Reaction score
Sold my last one 6 years ago - did 1,100 miles/year, in 5 days for 13 years, never got kicked off or hit, figured it was time.

sml

Reaction score
@JBS has been around since the first snow jet

NicPaus

Reaction score
Looks sweet! What are the specs? Heated seat and grips?

sml

Reaction score
51A1BFBA-6445-4C23-93C3-F720247AF6DF.jpeg
51A1BFBA-6445-4C23-93C3-F720247AF6DF.jpeg

Looks sweet! What are the specs? Heated seat and grips?
This is an arctic cat riot 8000, 800cc 2stroke, fox qs3 shocks, 146 length, with 1.6 ice ripper track….

Heated seat, grips, “goggle bag” (in the pic under the white tag) that i usually put a phone in and gate remote for the neighborhood or other things that don’t like cold…..

Jimmyv

Reaction score
Awesome. Never ridden a sled, but on my bucket list.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Mine weighs 500 pounds and makes 190HP.
Are the majority of them 2 stroke? I was thinking they would have similar engines to the new skis. But that might make them to heavy with 1.8 supercharged engines.

JD D05

Reaction score
Are the majority of them 2 stroke? I was thinking they would have similar engines to the new skis. But that might make them to heavy with 1.8 supercharged engines.
Mountain sleds yes, only Yamaha is 4 stroke and hardly anyone rides them. Mine is an 850cc turbo.

sml

Reaction score
I have a arctic cat tz1 4 stroke 1100 turbo but it is a “2 up” which means a 2 seater. It hurts a lot of feelings!

Last edited:

sml

Reaction score
My every day is a arctic cat xf8000 two stroke 800. Great all around machine. Early and late season trail work machine is a 570 fan cooled. My kids have youth size machines. Two 4 strokes and one kitty cat that is a 2 stroke.

arch stanton

Reaction score
i have gone on guided tour rides in colorado 2 times it was run but i know the sleds we were riding are for joe newby always wanted to try a performance sled
i’m wondering how to classify the difference i have ridden a 350 four stroke yamaha warrior and my personal dune ride was a 1986 ATC 250 with a cr cylinder with porting and pipe and carb it was a run ride
is that a good comparison?

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
i have gone on guided tour rides in colorado 2 times it was run but i know the sleds we were riding are for joe newby always wanted to try a performance sled
i’m wondering how to classify the difference i have ridden a 350 four stroke yamaha warrior and my personal dune ride was a 1986 ATC 250 with a cr cylinder with porting and pipe and carb it was a run ride
is that a good comparison?
Basically my only experience riding one.
Me and wifey did a tour thing at Tahoe once. She was a passenger on a two seater I piloted. It was a follow along but was fun as hell.
Pretty sure after we get settled in here next year I’m gonna look into owning one. 😁

sml

Reaction score
@SJP upstate ny guy! You mean to tell me you don’t dabble?!?!

Reactions: SJP

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
@sml

I'll post some stuff in the next few days, good idea with this thread. I've been waffling on pulling the trigger on a turbo sled for next year. Would like to know more from those who are on the gen 5 platform. Both of mine are gen 4 850's. Spent the afternoon riding around with my step daughter teaching her to ride on the new Polaris indy my in-laws got for her to ride. That little sled is actually fun as hell.

We ride mostly in the Leavenworth WA area, and are looking to start riding in northern AZ, and sw Colorado if anyone is in the area....Home Base for us is cave creek, az.

Reactions: sml

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Yea...and a lot of them are pull start. Weight is a big deal...I either want a pull start or shot start in most cases...electric start is a heavy option in anything seeing off trail use.

Engines are actually a lot different than the new jet skis...hell to go in reverse the engine spins in reverse which is a bizarre concept in itself.

Last edited:

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
You guys ski on it now, I'll ski on it in 6 months
My opinion may change in a few months (like every year) but honestly I have more fun on a sled than I do in the boat...its more about "me" fun than "fun for everyone else" so to speak. My wife is not as into this as I am...she tolerates it and will go..but she's more in the camp of being on the lake than in the snow.

caribbean20

Reaction score
For those that want to see some fast sleds, check out the I 500 Snowmobile Race, Sault Ste. Marie, MI on 2/4/23. I fly back every year to watch.

Been riding sleds since the early 70s. Scorpion!

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
For those that have not done it you have to give it a try. It is a blast!!! Going to West Yellowstone with about a. Group of 15 for an annual trip that goes back witht he group about a decade. I was lucky to be invited several years. This year we will be there from Feb 8th-12th. I am thinking about driving the truck up there from Havasu with our son and possibly stopping a place out two to go snowboarding.

63D46D04-255E-47BE-91E8-506F5339DF4A.jpeg
90FDAB33-CC25-4BBE-AA57-A96B12F19578.jpeg
F8668CC5-24CA-4043-ABC8-FF975946581A.jpeg

0E53C08C-E0C3-42F7-B568-4F1F3C4C96D3.jpeg
8637A434-B418-4348-8686-61D2597DC0CF.jpeg
562D3EB2-FEE0-4B7F-9561-0845A47AEB53.jpeg
F7226824-FCEC-48A6-A20A-9239301E36E2.jpeg

Attachments

• F9E848CA-E28D-4DD0-8578-3CF4ED8E19A0.jpeg
    F9E848CA-E28D-4DD0-8578-3CF4ED8E19A0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49
  • EC99EE35-95AD-405D-A041-50C7406248D3.jpeg
    EC99EE35-95AD-405D-A041-50C7406248D3.jpeg
    909.9 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

Hoodoo

Reaction score
Been looking at snowmobile’s lately, planning on spending more time in Idaho in the coming winters. Was out there during the Thanksgiving snow and then again a couple weeks ago and got 10” more snow. Pretty cool experience for a native Floridian. Actually had less trouble staying warm than I do here in FL during our infrequent cold snaps. Guess it’s all about expectations. Winter landscape in the inland northwest is awesome. Going back Jan 5 to trail ride with some locals. Will be my first time on one. The machines I looked at last summer are faster than I realized. 100+??😳

4Waters

Reaction score
My opinion may change in a few months (like every year) but honestly I have more fun on a sled than I do in the boat...its more about "me" fun than "fun for everyone else" so to speak. My wife is not as into this as I am...she tolerates it and will go..but she's more in the camp of being on the lake than in the snow.
That's why I sold the race car and bought a boat, the boat is more we fun

575cat

Reaction score
Mountain sleds yes, only Yamaha is 4 stroke and hardly anyone rides them. Mine is an 850cc turbo.
Had a Viper 162 turbo ,[ can also be called Yamacats ] for a VERY short period wanted to set it on fire what a PIG I dumped it quick & cheap , love my RMK,s light nimble .

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
The trick to sledding is figuring out how to keep the beers warm so they don't freeze solid on you! 🤣🥶🏔️❄️

wash11

Off The Grid
Reaction score
One of the few things left on my bucket lit for sure! Knowing nothing about them- what's the baddest mofo in the snow off the showroom floor?

JD D05

Reaction score
One of the few things left on my bucket lit for sure! Knowing nothing about them- what's the baddest mofo in the snow off the showroom floor?

That's mostly opinion. Skidoo and Polaris are the only 2 with a factory turbo.

SJP

WHTBRD
Reaction score
@SJP upstate ny guy! You mean to tell me you don’t dabble?!?!

Hell yeah!! Other than family and friends that I do not see as much as I would like. I miss riding sleds. @JD D05 I am spending a lot of the winter in your neck of the woods. Renting a place for 3 months to ride my snowboard but hope to catch up with on day you are riding.

So my snowmobiling flat lined after I moved to CA when I was 18. My father @nanu and his friends sold all of the snowmobiles. Over the years my brother has had a few but does not ride so when I am home I unfortunately do not get to ride anymore.

Growing up on a large lake in northern country that froze over the men snowmobiled. That was the recreation other than ice fishing which I had zero interest in. My dad, his neighbor and best friend and a whole group of guys would go out Friday after work and bar hop on their snowmobiles, race etc. There where like 10 places on the lake that catered to sleds. Sundays where family day. Head out at 9 / 10am and ride to different places for lunch. Smokey bar rooms to get wings and get warm. Shoot pool with the other kids tagging along with their family. The men would stay in a little longer and have a few rounds and all the kids would get bored and head out and race each other in front of the bar. Had to be in sight of the parents if something happened. Mom and Dad would come out and head to the next place. Home before dark and ready for work and school in the morning. Wash, rinse, repeat all winter until the snow and ice melted away.

My dad would get a new sled every year. Better suspension, technology, speed. Basically like boating - bar racing. He gave me my first snowmobile, a 1978 Yamaha 440. It was lite and fast for the time. This had to be 1985 so it was still pretty new. I have a younger sister and brother so Dad took sister and mom had my little brother. That left me and the only way we were all going out was to put me on my own. Guys at this point I may have been 50 pounds at most 6 or 7 YO. My dad had to pull start it (no electric start yet) because I was not big enough. I was barely strong enough to steer it, basically it was tracking in their tracks (I followed third behind my mom). When I did I would use two hands on one side of the handle bars to change course. I loved riding.

A year or two down the road I wanted to ride after school. The days are cold and short and honestly not much to do. I wanted to be outside so I asked my dad if he would let me. His reply was " first and foremost you have to be able to cold start it yourself and do not get stuck or hurt away from home". He did not get home from work until 7 most days. The last thing I wanted to do was have to walk home and then have my mom call him to bail my ass out. That first time I fired the sled myself I will never forget. Two hands on the handle - foot braced on the running board and gave it everything. Two stroke air cooled was popping and in mind you could hear it for miles. I was on my own. I rode that thing until my right thumb was frost bitten. Being on a lake you could pin it in any direction like boating but it is different. I would take that thing all over, we would pull each other with a ski rope and an orange actual plastic sled strapped across our knees (before there was knee boarding). Best times. I lived and it was better than sitting inside playing Atari.

Over the years the snowmobiles got faster and nicer. Electric start (fuck that pull start forever...) it was a feature for the women and children. Heated hand and thumb grips, any guy that say they don't need it is just plain lying to you. They have that turned up on high. Like everything they have gotten prohibitively expensive. The ones @JD D05 have posted I barely recognize. They are straight hill rockets.

A couple of images pulled from internet.
SRX-Beauty.jpg
mike-2b_2.jpg

JD D05

Reaction score
Hell yeah!! Other than family and friends that I do not see as much as I would like. I miss riding sleds. @JD D05 I am spending a lot of the winter in your neck of the woods. Renting a place for 3 months to ride my snowboard but hope to catch up with on day you are riding.

So my snowmobiling flat lined after I moved to CA when I was 18. My father @nanu and his friends sold all of the snowmobiles. Over the years my brother has had a few but does not ride so when I am home I unfortunately do not get to ride anymore.

Growing up on a large lake in northern country that froze over the men snowmobiled. That was the recreation other than ice fishing which I had zero interest in. My dad, his neighbor and best friend and a whole group of guys would go out Friday after work and bar hop on their snowmobiles, race etc. There where like 10 places on the lake that catered to sleds. Sundays where family day. Head out at 9 / 10am and ride to different places for lunch. Smokey bar rooms to get wings and get warm. Shoot pool with the other kids tagging along with their family. The men would stay in a little longer and have a few rounds and all the kids would get bored and head out and race each other in front of the bar. Had to be in sight of the parents if something happened. Mom and Dad would come out and head to the next place. Home before dark and ready for work and school in the morning. Wash, rinse, repeat all winter until the snow and ice melted away.

My dad would get a new sled every year. Better suspension, technology, speed. Basically like boating - bar racing. He gave me my first snowmobile, a 1978 Yamaha 440. It was lite and fast for the time. This had to be 1985 so it was still pretty new. I have a younger sister and brother so Dad took sister and mom had my little brother. That left me and the only way we were all going out was to put me on my own. Guys at this point I may have been 50 pounds at most 6 or 7 YO. My dad had to pull start it (no electric start yet) because I was not big enough. I was barely strong enough to steer it, basically it was tracking in their tracks (I followed third behind my mom). When I did I would use two hands on one side of the handle bars to change course. I loved riding.

A year or two down the road I wanted to ride after school. The days are cold and short and honestly not much to do. I wanted to be outside so I asked my dad if he would let me. His reply was " first and foremost you have to be able to cold start it yourself and do not get stuck or hurt away from home". He did not get home from work until 7 most days. The last thing I wanted to do was have to walk home and then have my mom call him to bail my ass out. That first time I fired the sled myself I will never forget. Two hands on the handle - foot braced on the running board and gave it everything. Two stroke air cooled was popping and in mind you could hear it for miles. I was on my own. I rode that thing until my right thumb was frost bitten. Being on a lake you could pin it in any direction like boating but it is different. I would take that thing all over, we would pull each other with a ski rope and an orange actual plastic sled strapped across our knees (before there was knee boarding). Best times. I lived and it was better than sitting inside playing Atari.

Over the years the snowmobiles got faster and nicer. Electric start (fuck that pull start forever...) it was a feature for the women and children. Heated hand and thumb grips, any guy that say they don't need it is just plain lying to you. They have that turned up on high. Like everything they have gotten prohibitively expensive. The ones @JD D05 have posted I barely recognize. They are straight hill rockets.

A couple of images pulled from internet. View attachment 1183435 View attachment 1183436

When will you be here? I'm pretty out of riding this year after tearing my bicep. I have a friend that runs a badass guide service with rentals for factory turbos etc I could set you up with. Be cool to meet you either way!

Reactions: DWC

sml

Reaction score
Lmao! And people think boat/truck brand debates get heated:D

You forgot arctic cat thundercat is 3cyl 1000 turbo and the riot 9000
That's mostly opinion. Skidoo and Polaris are the only 2 with a factory turbo.

JD D05

Reaction score
Lmao! And people think boat/truck brand debates get heated:D

You forgot arctic cat thundercat is 3cyl 1000 turbo and the riot 9000
Is Artic Cat still in business?😁

• Haha
Reactions: sml

MeCasa16

Reaction score
Why can’t I find a new arctic cat alpha one for sale anywhere?? I’ve also been having the itch to get back into snowmobiling..