WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Going off the grid, our family story.

TeamGreene

Reaction score
Here's some boating content for you:D

The main ranch up here has a private catfish pond that we are fortunate enough to have been given access to. It has it's own kick ass speed boat as well, depending on what kind of shape you are in of course.

Bulls aren't typically scared of much. How relaxed they are here, speaks volumes of how they have been treated since birth. A little unnerving at first to have a 1 ton animal walk amongst your pals while drinking beers. This would be papa of the steers we are finishing by the way and that's Chicken Dans better half doing the fishing.

View attachment 456142

This thread and what you are doing for you and your family is truly amazing and an inspiration to all.

Thank you for sharing this journey with us as I'm sure more than a few of us, me included, are living this through you.:thumbsup

TomD

Breathing Member
Reaction score
That's dick standing next to Amy.. There's lots of jokes there but I'm not sure I want Joel beating my ass the next time I see him. So I keep my mouth shut. Lol.

Dave perhaps you should refer to him as Richard from here on out. :D:thumbsup

blacksockdown

Banned
Reaction score
That's dick standing next to Amy.. There's lots of jokes there but I'm not sure I want Joel beating my ass the next time I see him. So I keep my mouth shut. Lol.

ehhhhh Amy is fine as heck! (dont want my ass beat either.It is what it is. lol)

Beerme

Retired...Time for a cold one!
Reaction score
The best thread I've read:thumbsup

Looks a lot like where my grandparents grew up, Seligman, Arizona. In fact, my parents bought us some acreage up there, but I have not been there in years. Definitely got me thinking and dreaming:D

wash11

Off The Grid
Reaction score
Any update on this?

The weather has been crazy nice so we have been getting a jump on a few projects at our place and at neighbors places too. That 2000' feet of new fence to separate grazing cows from the grow sites is just about done and we'll be hanging gates by the end of the week. Sorry about the crappy phone pics. I'll get good finished pictures this weekend.

IMG_2980.jpg

IMG_2981 (2).jpg

IMG_2982.jpg

IMG_2983.jpg

Last edited:

5oclocksomewhere

Reaction score
The weather has been crazy nice so we have been getting a jump on a few projects at our place and at neighbors places too. That 2000' feet of new fence to separate grazing cows from the grow sites is just about done and we'll be hanging gates by the end of the week. Sorry about the crappy phone pics. I'll get good finished pictures this weekend.

View attachment 467904
View attachment 467905
View attachment 467906
View attachment 467907

This is what I'm talking about. We need this thread to get fired backup again. After last weeks events (the passing of Campbell Carl RIP) it's nice to have an up lifting thread going again.

Thanks Wash11

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Have you ever thought about doing a book on this adventure? A lot of people are in love with the IDEA of going off grid. It's like plans for airplanes or boats. 1 in a 1000 people who buy the plans ever even start a project, let alone finish it. but they at least want to look at the plans or consider it a first step in their dream.

wash11

Off The Grid
Reaction score
This is what I'm talking about. We need this thread to get fired backup again. After last weeks events (the passing of Campbell Carl RIP) it's nice to have an up lifting thread going again.

Thanks Wash11

Agreed.

Robbie (Sandlord), Amy and I did have a few beers in between working this weekend in Carl's honor. It was a reminder of just how lucky I am to be doing what I'm doing.

wash11

Off The Grid
Reaction score
Have you ever thought about doing a book on this adventure? A lot of people are in love with the IDEA of going off grid. It's like plans for airplanes or boats. 1 in a 1000 people who buy the plans ever even start a project, let alone finish it. but they at least want to look at the plans or consider it a first step in their dream.

Man, I wish I had the skills to turn it into a book. Writing doesn't come easy to me.

Sandlord

Reaction score
Agreed.

Robbie (Sandlord), Amy and I did have a few beers in between working this weekend in Carl's honor. It was a reminder of just how lucky I am to be doing what I'm doing.

Amen, I said a few expletives first.
It really makes you think how quickly things can change, and makes you want to spend every living moment doing the things you love with the friends and family you have.

Joker

Reaction score
Man, I wish I had the skills to turn it into a book. Writing doesn't come easy to me.

With my ADHD I lose interest in things pretty fast, but not with your story. Keep it coming.[emoji106]

Sigus

Above the wet spot
Reaction score
As far as a book, you could actually use your thread as a basis. Have a pro rewrite it, interview you for more in-depth detail and put the ideas on pages.

Your story is very compelling and fascinating to read. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

Ryphraph

Reaction score
As far as a book, you could actually use your thread as a basis. Have a pro rewrite it, interview you for more in-depth detail and put the ideas on pages.

Your story is very compelling and fascinating to read. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

I agree!

You have a ton of content that just needs to be organized with a little polish and you have a book.

Ryph

wash11

Off The Grid
Reaction score
I think you are selling yourself short. This thread has been a great read and well written.

With my ADHD I lose interest in things pretty fast, but not with your story. Keep it coming.[emoji106]

I agree!

You have a ton of content that just needs to be organized with a little polish and you have a book.

Ryph

I think you are selling yourself short. This thread has been a great read and well written

I agree. I Found myself immersed in your story. Well written. Thanks for sharing and enjoy your new life. :)

Definitely something to consider a couple years from now once the house is finished and we're here full time:thumbsup

wash11

Off The Grid
Reaction score
The wind is blowing pretty steady and the temps are dropping so I'm settling into the luxurious RV for the night. Nice to have some down time.

The new fence is pretty much done. Just waiting on a couple more gates to come in. We'll get started on clearing the fence line Friday. 2000ish feet of downed trees waiting to be turned into firewood, fence posts and wood chips. Much of it is too far from a road to move with equipment so we'll end up dragging trees. Doing that at 5300' elevation is a kick ass cardio workout, just in time for bikini weather:D

IMG_6589.jpg

IMG_6590.jpg

IMG_6592.jpg

IMG_6593.jpg

IMG_6602.jpg

IMG_6603.jpg

IMG_6605.jpg

Last edited:

Sandlord

Reaction score
Those fence guys dont screw around. Cutting trees, jackhammering rock, setting posts, hammering stakes, and hanging wire from dusk to dawn.
and those fences are straight as fuck, using just their eyeballs. It was impressive to watch.

screaming pete

Reaction score
when we fenced my dads place. we had my cousin from minn. and a good o'le boy from texas and a few others..we got schooled and pounded all them post...blisters...

SBMech

Fixes Broken Stuff
Reaction score
Unbelievably generous of you to share this with us, many thanks for letting us see into your life, and dreams that you are making happen!

I grew up living on ranches, living in Alaska for a few years, and doing alot of hunting and fishing with my Grandpa, Father and Uncles. This thread brings back some great experiences I was lucky enough to have as a kid growing up, and gives me new direction in setting some new goals. I am so wrapped up in fixing cars and dealing with Calif bullshit I am about set to up and split.

You and your family are an incredible team, one that gives me back hope for the American Way to resurface!

Subscribed, and waiting for the next update!

wash11

Off The Grid
Reaction score
We shoot quite a bit. Our shooting range ideas always seem to get pushed down to the bottom of the list as we have so much else going on. Since I had my fence labor here I finished something I've wanted to do for awhile. It's a separate fence to keep guests or dogs from running down hill and crossing into the line of fire unintentionally. The odds are pretty remote that something like that would ever happen but we take gun safety fairly serious around here. We are an hour away from the emergency room so any mishap could become life and death pretty quick.

We still have a nice, covered shooting bench plan in the works. Realistically, won't be for another year or better. It was nice to get to throw some time at our favorite area to relax.

IMG_6606.jpg

IMG_6608.jpg

IMG_6610.jpg

Last edited:

H20-ski

Long Member
Reaction score
Bitchin, that's great you took the time to post all of this. :thumbsup

Keep it coming.

Yarder

Substantial Member
Reaction score
We shoot quite a bit. Our shooting range ideas always seem to get pushed down to the bottom of the list as we have so much else going on. Since I had my fence labor here I finished something I've wanted to do for awhile. It's a separate fence to keep guests or dogs from running down hill and crossing into the line of fire unintentionally. The odds are pretty remote that something like that would ever happen but we take gun safety fairly serious around here. We are an hour away from the emergency room so any mishap could become life and death pretty quick.

We still have a nice, covered shooting bench plan in the works. Realistically, won't be for another year or better. It was nice to get to throw some time at our favorite area to relax.

How're the signs holding up? :D

brgrcru

Reaction score
My wife and I spent the evening reading your your thread. Wow! That is some hard work and commitment.
That was a great read and pictures.:thumbsup
Definitely book material.
Are you giving up on boating and going to the sand dunes?
What you guys are undertaking is like 24/7 . Kind of like a business, but there is no rest.
Amazing what people can do.
Truly I am privileged to see this.:thumbsup

wash11

Off The Grid
Reaction score
Are you giving up on boating and going to the sand dunes?
What you guys are undertaking is like 24/7 . Kind of like a business, but there is no rest.

I struggle with this. V-Drive anything, still makes me weak in the knees. The lines of a 21' Daytona as well. Boating was a huge part of my life for 30 years. Glamis was another amazing chapter for us. The lifelong friends we made there, the memories.......

We had to make a choice and stick with it to accomplish what we set out to do. So yeah, we have been out of both for close to 5 years now. We still have lots of invites for days on the lake and trips to Glamis as all our friends are still very much into both. That will have to do for now.

Several years from now, I do see myself buying a clean, simple flatty and a cabover to make a few long trips to Parker during the winter months where everything is waiting for Spring up here. :D

wash11

Off The Grid
Reaction score
Only being in Havasu a couple days per week has us changing gears on the garden. This seasons garden is based on what we use the most of and what requires the least amount of fuss.

We only planted 3 tomato plants and went with a smaller variety as we put them in salads, stir frys, omelets and just general snacking. Even just three will put out way more than we will eat for the next 6-8 weeks.
A bed and a half of Texas Legend onions and a bed of carrots (don't know what kind, they were saved seeds that were given to us a few years ago). Soups, stews and any kind of stir fry gets them. Burgers just aren't burgers without a big slice of onion on them.
Jalapeno, garlic and cilantro for Amy's salsa.
Strawberries because they are our favorite snack food.
A few varieties of squash as they will grow like crazy right through the hottest months and its a typical side dish for most dinners we do.

Anything that requires extra shade or water is off the list this year.
We will be helping a couple neighbors look after their gardens this year up at our place in exchange for whatever we might need food wise. Between this and our Havasu garden we'll still be in good grub until we start our first garden at the ranch next spring.

Here is what the stripped down version looks like as of today.
IMG_6650.jpg

IMG_6651.jpg

IMG_6649.jpg

Last edited:

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
Any up dates on the new place ? GET TO WORK :D ,I have the week off so im here at our ranch and the snow is gone so burning piles , getn hay ,rototill gardens getting ready for summer

Amy

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Here I am?..the other half of Joel and Amy. Just let me say a huge Thank You to everyone here who has been so over-the-top supportive of our adventure! I have enjoyed reading through the thread (multiple times) and seeing all the feedback. :)

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Here I am?..the other half of Joel and Amy. Just let me say a huge Thank You to everyone here who has been so over-the-top supportive of our adventure! I have enjoyed reading through the thread (multiple times) and seeing all the feedback. :)

Welcome Maam.

Be proud of what you are doing.

Know that many of us are living vicariously through you two. We are jealous, no doubt.

Joker

Reaction score
Welcome Maam.

Know that many of us are living vicariously through you two. We are jealous, no doubt.

Well said Brian. We can only dream of doing what they are.:thumbup:

TeamGreene

Reaction score
Thank you and Joel for sharing!

Welcome Maam.

This sums it up perfectly!

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

Hey, hey!!!!

:thumbup::thumbup:

Yarder

Substantial Member
Reaction score

:thumbup:

milkmoney

Reaction score
Welcome Maam.

This is not directed at you , but a good place to say this. B

I think a big % of the members say the same thing in the thread or to themselves , although a big % I don't think could or want to do what this takes , as far as hard work and hours.

I am not saying that any member here isn't a hard worker, although ranch, farm , or dairy, or country living, whatever u want to call it, is a different animal , when it comes to hard work.

I applaud Joel and Amy for their dedication ( which it takes , everyday) and being smart enough to allow other people to help and educate them. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

I am glad my days are almost over , I think , well I hope.[emoji202]

scouter

Old Guy......
Reaction score
Wow, I just stumbled across this thread. Very impressive....... Looking forward to future updates....