shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
BNAG happens at the 30 second mark

[video=youtube;HOLfh7zfzWI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOLfh7zfzWI[/video]

Boschma

Wish I was at the River
Reaction score
Lucky that wasn't worse.:eek Lucky they were firefighters too.

The "friend" with the go pro seems to be more worried about the camera and the bike than his friend laying on the ground. He doesn't even seem to offer any help or even get close:thumbsdown

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Never a "love affair" with GMR, for that very reason.

Rider looks unskilled enough that he overshot the corner and didn't have the wherewithall to focus to the right and avoid that with ample time to make a correction.

Lucky he didn't pass under. :eek.

Brian

Ryphraph

Reaction score
It's a one lane road with a lot of blind corners and drop offs... I have ridden it on a bike a long time ago. You really need to be paying attention. Most of the time, the gate to get to it was closed on weekend and other busy times. Hope the guy is OK.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
It's a one lane road with a lot of blind corners and drop offs... I have ridden it on a bike a long time ago. You really need to be paying attention. Most of the time, the gate to get to it was closed on weekend and other busy times. Hope the guy is OK.

Yes sir,

Plenty other roads, way cleaner, way faster, and way safer, just as close.

Ryphraph

Reaction score
The Youtube category is listed as "comedy"...

Ryphraph

Reaction score
Yes sir,

Plenty other roads, way cleaner, way faster, and way safer, just as close.

Even on GMR propper at least you have 2 lanes. The ridge is a whole other idea...

Ryph

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Lost a co-worker the same way... hate to see shit like that. :(
He was riding up Highland Valley road from I-15 toward Ramona and hit a truck head on.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Is that a single lane road shared by two way traffic? no center lines at all:headscratch:
Lucky he hit where he did, little more left he might not have been so lucky.:eek

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Even on GMR propper at least you have 2 lanes. The ridge is a whole other idea...

Ryph

That is my point. We live in such a unique area. That road should be avoided at all costs for anyone who values their life and equipment. This incident is just one reason why.

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Is that a single lane road shared by two way traffic? no center lines at all:headscratch:
Lucky he hit where he did, little more left he might not have been so lucky.:eek

It varies, some is, some isn't. It is a glorified fire road linking Glendora to Baldy/Claremont area.

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I also recall it having some VERY large drainage culverts that were precariously close to the roadway.

I haven't been up there in years, but in my younger days, before I knew better, that was a stop on the way to much better roads.

Later on I picked up with the group after they went through GMR, losing with the squids that didn't make it through, that week. :eek.

Brian

rcmike

Reaction score
It's the first blind corner. It's one of 3 where you cannot look 1/2 to 3/4 a mile down the road to check for traffic. You cannot take that corner on the 'other side' of the road, and I will not take it at speed, for that exact reason. Dude was just being dumb, and it bit.

Hope he lives. And hope he can figure out that maybe riding a bike does not favor him..

Ryphraph

Reaction score
What's GMR?

Glendora Mountain Road. It connects to Glendora Ridge Road where there is only one lane for both directions.

There are literally hundreds of crotch rockets up there on any given weekend carving the canyon/mountain roads.

Ryph

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Seems to me had PLENTY of room and time to avoid the truck. The truck driver even had time to blast the horn.
He looked at the truck and drove straight into exactly where he was looking (target fixation).

I couldn't believe he was still alive :thumbsup -- hope he recovers.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Seems to me had PLENTY of room and time to avoid the truck. The truck driver even had time to blast the horn.
He looked at the truck and drove straight into exactly where he was looking (target fixation).

Anyone with seat time knows you go exactly where you look.

Brian

rcmike

Reaction score
It's truly a beautiful road, and if you approach it with the caution it deserves, you can spend a LOT of beautiful afternoons and evenings up there. Most of the ridge road, since as it's name suggests is laid out across a ridge, is laid out so you can constantly check 1/4 mile, 1 mile, and 3 miles out.. You just need to know where to look, and be moving at a speed where you can actually take the time to look..

20130429_181509_zps845069b8.jpg

But there are 3 major corners where it's just not possible to see anything as the road wraps around promontories. Anyone who blasts those corners, well..

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
It's truly a beautiful road, and if you approach it with the caution it deserves, you can spend a LOT of beautiful afternoons and evenings up there. Most of the ridge road, since as it's name suggests is laid out across a ridge, is laid out so you can constantly check 1/4 mile, 1 mile, and 3 miles out.. You just need to know where to look, and be moving at a speed where you can actually take the time to look..

But there are 3 major corners where it's just not possible to see anything as the road wraps around promontories. Anyone who blasts those corners, well..

Yes sir,

I am in the shop, working. I don't want to see pictures of prime riding, 5 minutes away.

I agree, it is a beautiful road, but unless you are the only one on it, you are at the mercy of someone Darwin didn't eliminate, yet, and they are out looking for you.

Brian

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I can even smell the air looking at that picture.

BTW, nice 1600(?) roadster

I bet that is a fun toy.

Dettom

Reaction score

The "friend" with the go pro seems to be more worried about the camera and the bike than his friend laying on the ground. He doesn't even seem to offer any help or even get close:thumbsdown

I noticed that too. What a douche.

cmayer

Reaction score
Target fixated and grabbed a handful of front brake which stood the bike up and then game over.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
I noticed that too. What a douche.

Harsh comment.... not everyone has leo's experience when this kind of thing happens.
The firemen were there and had the situation well at hand when he picked up the camera.
He looked overwhelmed and in shock to me..... and IMO this is not being a douche.:thumbsdown

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score

No shit. What an idiot. Who gives a shit about the fucking bike.

I think Darwin attempted the wrong guy.

Ryphraph

Reaction score
I followed a group of bikes that were getting on it onto Via Verde off the 10 in my '02 Z28 once and was scooting along when I came up on one of the blind turns and one of the riders down in the street. I was moving pretty briskly but safely too as I had plenty of time to stop before I got near him and his wadded up mess of a brand new bike with paper plates. He starts screaming "slow the fuck down!" at me LOL. I was like WTF?, I know how to drive and wasn't the one who just crashed his shit like some rookie.

Fabhouse

Reaction score
I live at about a block away from the start of GMR. Without fail CHP/EMT and flatbeds are headed up a minimum of once a day Saturday and Sunday. Life flight averages about twice a month, sometimes more. It's a great drive, when driven safely. My complaint is the boy-racers who think it's OK to cross the line on the divided sections, been close a few times. The Ridge Road section (from GMR to Baldy) is NOT a good place to go fast. The road is also very popular with cyclists, and it can be easy to come up on them fast. I work in Azusa, so about 2 times a month I drive Hwy 39 to GMR to get home-Nice drive on a weekday afternoon, and almost no other traffic. Takes about 45-48 minutes. Always enjoy it.

Ryphraph

Reaction score
I love the GMR area, I have ridden the road on roadbike and dirt trail on MTB, and hiked all around the area as well as blasted sportscars and bikes through it. I know several people that went over the edge in cars, luckily all made full recoveries.

Ryph

traquer

Reaction score
Ridge is only good in the winter or nighttime when the bikers are scared to ride!

Not that you can even go up, GMR area is closed :D

[video=youtube;AcFVjUPp1Ks]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcFVjUPp1Ks[/video]

Oso Viejo

Reaction score
Will his insurance cover the damage to the fire truck? Pretty much all that matters to me.

Expensive proposition considering the air evac plus a life flight not to mention the cost of the fire crews, chp, and other responders taken off line to handle the crash. I don't think LA County bills back costs to vehicle accidents but SAR responses sometimes ran up huge bills for knuckleheads up in the San Gabriels.

First words from the buddy when he peeled the visor back, "ahh fuck".:eek

PVHCA

Reaction score
Expensive proposition considering the air evac plus a life flight not to mention the cost of the fire crews, chp, and other responders taken off line to handle the crash. I don't think LA County bills back costs to vehicle accidents but SAR responses sometimes ran up huge bills for knuckleheads up in the San Gabriels.

First words from the buddy when he peeled the visor back, "ahh fuck".:eek

I was being sarcastic, I do hope the idiot is ok, however when someone put's themselves and others in harms way being a jackass it's hard for me to show mercy.

rcmike

Reaction score
Ridge is only good in the winter or nighttime when the bikers are scared to ride!

Not that you can even go up, GMR area is closed :D
Yep.. Stay away in fall and winter.. It's so much better when you don't have to deal with other people..

1381728_376660992464170_2003894855_n_zpsbafbf301.jpg

20140203_131120_zpsrkqzsph4.jpg

Croz

Reaction score
I was being sarcastic, I do hope the idiot is ok, however when someone put's themselves and others in harms way being a jackass it's hard for me to show mercy.

He's just riding his bike, he's not being a jack ass about it. It's a sketchy road and shit happens dude, lighten up. Sure he crashed and that sucks but 100% of people who ride motorcycles/bicycles/quads crash in someway or another.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score

I foot to the left and he'd been a hood ornament, or more like grill ornament. He was lucky to hit enough to the side where the fender is:bowdown:

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
Yes sir,

I am in the shop, working. I don't want to see pictures of prime riding, 5 minutes away.

I agree, it is a beautiful road, but unless you are the only one on it, you are at the mercy of someone Darwin didn't eliminate, yet, and they are out looking for you.

Brian

Is this the same road they were trying to find some guy who was dumping oil on?

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Target fixated and grabbed a handful of front brake which stood the bike up and then game over.

Exactly and didn't understand the "turn left, to go right" concept. I went back and watched a couple of times and if I wasn't expecting it, I doubt there would have been time to react.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Exactly and didn't understand the "turn left, to go right" concept. I went back and watched a couple of times and if I wasn't expecting it, I doubt there would have been time to react.

On a two wheeled motorcycle....It is called counter steer and how it works. If you rode a bike, then you would know.

Turn the bars left to go left, and you will be in a world of hurt.

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
Been riding for a loonng time, and that's what I said.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Been riding for a loonng time, and that's what I said.

On a side note....

How many people have you explained concept of countersteer to and they look back like you have a dick sticking out of your forehead?

coolchange

Lower level functionary
Reaction score
I've said " if you don't understand that you turn left to go right, you probably shouldn't be riding", to a lot of people. and like you said, a LOT of them looked at me like I was nutz. NOT the people I normally hang out with. I've had my endorsement for a long time ( took my test on a Gold Star) and don't have but a few thousand miles on the street. Scares the shit out of me. Last street bkie I spent any time on was a GAMMA:yikes.

Ryphraph

Reaction score
The oil dumping was happening lower, where it is a much more traveled road, but kinda..

Glendora Ridge Road cuts East over to Mt Baldy from Glendora Mountain Road. You access the Glendora Ridge Road from the same road where oil was getting dumped.

In the past, I have seen a fully prepped road race car (no lights, windows, full roll cage ETC) on this road. Always wondered where the guy came from. There was a locked gate there that closed it off from GMR on weekends/holidays last time I was up that way, many years ago.

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
On a side note....

How many people have you explained concept of countersteer to and they look back like you have a dick sticking out of your forehead?

I first heard about it back in '71 while watching Cal Rayborn driving the streamliner at Bonneville in the movie On Any Sunday. :thumbup:

[video=youtube;2iDfmhZAiUA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iDfmhZAiUA[/video]

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
I've said " if you don't understand that you turn left to go right, you probably shouldn't be riding", to a lot of people. and like you said, a LOT of them looked at me like I was nutz. NOT the people I normally hang out with. I've had my endorsement for a long time ( took my test on a Gold Star) and don't have but a few thousand miles on the street. Scares the shit out of me. Last street bkie I spent any time on was a GAMMA:yikes.

Yes sir. If it was the same test, hard to complete on a tour bike.

Sorry again for giving you shit. I read it the wrong way.