WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Ford F-Series Friday

Mototrig

Reaction score
And that's the whole point. It's called flotation, and it's what you need for off-roading. Air down, the sidewalls flex, and you can go anywhere. Plus as mentioned, they ride 10x better too.

I get it though, everyone likes what they like. 😊

View attachment 1087451
With 20's I have to drop to between 8-12# depending on load to get a good sidewall flex and float over the sand. At those low psi I run the risk of breaking the bead if I'm not careful.
With 17-18's I'd imagine you can safely get good float at higher psi.
If I had to do it again I'd choose 18x37 over 20's all day.

Bullheaded

Reaction score
After 10+ years of lurking rdp I finally joined.
My 250 and new to me 22 for 2022

Attachments

• 20211120_113202.jpg
    20211120_113202.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 76

Your ad here

Reaction score
The banks 6 gun is most definitely a generic tune.

But the hydra does not come with generic tunes.
Each tune bank is specific for various levels of modification on the 7.3 (i.e. stock, modified exhaust, modified fuel or injection oil volume, big oil, +15 injectors...) In my case I ran their modified exhaust/stock engine until I upgraded the HPOP to 10% higher volume and moded fuel. The change in tune dropped my EGT's but kept power the same.
Now for an extra fee you gain access to an elaborate library of moded tunes for various modification scenarios by various tuners.
I had something typed out and then I realized the thread got jacked... back on topic. I need to get up to date on the Hydra. I got out of that scene about the time when PHP tuning was messing with it.

This truck. 02 F250 7.3. 285K miles. Started life as a 2wd I was going to throw a DJM lowering kit on but never did when I live in California and realized a 4wd is needed to explore the state of Arizona, where I live now. So I converted it because it was cheaper than buying a molested 4wd with used parts. I had the Dana 60 and 4R100 rebuilt during the swap. I kept it era correct with leaf springs, which was 100% bolt on minus grinding the rivets on the coil buckets, as I had 1 day to swap the suspension 350 miles from my house and didn't want to mess with small modifications with the 05+ suspension that could hold me up.
f2501.jpg
F250.jpg

Tooms22

On Vacation
Reaction score
And that's the whole point. It's called flotation, and it's what you need for off-roading. Air down, the sidewalls flex, and you can go anywhere. Plus as mentioned, they ride 10x better too.

I get it though, everyone likes what they like. 😊

View attachment 1087451

Yeah, I'm not a big desert/offroad guy. Closest I'll probably get is ripping a SxS in the hills around Havasu.

And I've gone 17s and 35s before. Here's my previous truck I had for 8 years:
IMG_8451 (1).jpg

69hondo

Reaction score
This thread is still running oops I mean going. 😉

Mototrig

Reaction score
I had something typed out and then I realized the thread got jacked... back on topic. I need to get up to date on the Hydra. I got out of that scene about the time when PHP tuning was messing with it.

This truck. 02 F250 7.3. 285K miles. Started life as a 2wd I was going to throw a DJM lowering kit on but never did when I live in California and realized a 4wd is needed to explore the state of Arizona, where I live now. So I converted it because it was cheaper than buying a molested 4wd with used parts. I had the Dana 60 and 4R100 rebuilt during the swap. I kept it era correct with leaf springs, which was 100% bolt on minus grinding the rivets on the coil buckets, as I had 1 day to swap the suspension 350 miles from my house and didn't want to mess with small modifications with the 05+ suspension that could hold me up. View attachment 1087455 View attachment 1087454 .
Keeping it modesty stock is clean and classy 👍👍 very nice. Leaf spung ride quality is great at stock ride height.

I made the mistake of buying a wildly lifted truck 10 years ago at a very low price. I've dropped it 4" over the years but I'm not happy with the ride quality yet.
The main reason I'm swapping to the 05+ axle is turn radius. My truck has the very rare snow plow option front axle which for whatever reason only allows 3 turns lock to lock. The bind is in the u-joint diameter. I have to do an axle swap to gain radius. So 07 axle for me 😎

Good Stuff

Reaction score
1BBA456E-CAB0-4998-BAC3-50A1FF690A41.jpeg

My girl Big Ol’ Bessie. Finally needed new heads from Injector cup failure at 190k miles so did the full bulletproof. Never been stranded even when it was filled with gasoline by my kid or had coolant full of diesel from the injector cups failing.

Running an H&S on Tow Mode only since the trans is original and untouched. Set to defuel at 230* coolant but the fan doesn’t even kick in to high until right after the defuel. Really need a Pyro gauge to know what’s safe so that’s on the list.

Last edited:

Your ad here

Reaction score
Keeping it modesty stock is clean and classy 👍👍 very nice. Leaf spung ride quality is great at stock ride height.

I made the mistake of buying a wildly lifted truck 10 years ago at a very low price. I've dropped it 4" over the years but I'm not happy with the ride quality yet.
The main reason I'm swapping to the 05+ axle is turn radius. My truck has the very rare snow plow option front axle which for whatever reason only allows 3 turns lock to lock. The bind is in the u-joint diameter. I have to do an axle swap to gain radius. So 07 axle for me 😎
I have V front and A rear code leafs. Honestly it rides like crap but I suspect a lot of it is due to the Yokohama tires. 52 psi front and 65 psi rear. Hoping Michelins fix it as the other truck has those and is smoother and quieter. I go back and forth about a 4" lift with Deavers and 37's. Love the look of a +4" leaf pack up front but lifted trucks are a pain in the ass to get in and out of and loading stuff in the bed. Had an 05 with progressive rate Bilstein coils and loved the ride. Maybe one day I'll 05 this one but everything has to be bolt on. No drilling.

Blue Oval

Reaction score
You own a Ford dealership? I think you could sell a few trucks in this thread. Would have been happy to order mine through you.
I have been very lucky. I have several boaters I have made friends with from Boyne Thunder and Boatfreaks. They have all been awesome to help support our small dealership. Very frustrating right now trying to get trucks built.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… my version of an F150 is my 99 expedition that the heater no longer works in… But it was 87 in North Hollywood today so why would I need a heater???…
… my truck is a 97 dodge ram extra cab four-wheel-drive… 12 valve Cummins diesel,..
… Maybe I will start calling it a Ram 150???…

CLdrinker

Reaction score
My Bucket turns 1 year old this month, I'm a diehard Chevy guy and I got 2 fords in my driveway.
Did you go with the 295/65/20’s? I think that’s the way I’m leaning.

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
Did you go with the 295/65/20’s? I think that’s the way I’m leaning.
I had to look it up, but we went with 325/60r20’s Nitto Terra Grappler G2’s. With the stock wheels, it gets close to the brake lines. I think your 295/65 idea is probably a little better for a slightly leveled truck. This one has a 3.5” level on the front.

460 2.0

Reaction score
Picked this up back in September. 2018 3.5 eco boost 4wd. Bilstein leveling kit on factory 20’s.

Attachments

• 05CCAE3E-D5EE-4E87-BAB9-D28B0EE172DB.jpeg
    05CCAE3E-D5EE-4E87-BAB9-D28B0EE172DB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I had to look it up, but we went with 325/60r20’s Nitto Terra Grappler G2’s. With the stock wheels, it gets close to the brake lines. I think your 295/65 idea is probably a little better for a slightly leveled truck. This one has a 3.5” level on the front.
I will probably go 1.5 if it will fit in the garage lol
Have you seen the trick of putting f150 running boards on the super duty? It tucks them up nicely looks way better.

LakeMead Boater

Reaction score
I will probably go 1.5 if it will fit in the garage lol
Have you seen the trick of putting f150 running boards on the super duty? It tucks them up nicely looks way better.
I just checked that out, that looks cool!

I also recommend getting the 2wd front air dam. If you check out @idk super duty (the grey one with the machined finish/black beadlock ring method’s) he has the shorter air dam compared to the others.

jb600

Highly unusual
Reaction score
I have been very lucky. I have several boaters I have made friends with from Boyne Thunder and Boatfreaks. They have all been awesome to help support our small dealership. Very frustrating right now trying to get trucks built.
Might have to give you a call this spring. Just not sure what kind of tax I have to pay for buying from out of state.