WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

First "Weather" Of The Season...

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
We've had a little snow, not much. @fat rat will be leaving shortly if he can get out of the house šŸ¤£ We got a little snow this morning, but I think it may have started early. It hit, melted, and then froze...and then snowed again.

The shit show is epic:eek:

Disney on ice don't have shit on what's going on here! Going to be a lot of bent rims. Slow motion spinning and sliding into curbs. Lots of close calls, but no impacts yet. There are three lanes for drop off at my son's school. I was in the middle lane, and stopped, to wait for an f350, all 4 spinning, to slide across in front of me! Like a possessed car, lateral movement all the way to the curb:oops:

@Nanu/Nanu be careful out there! After 12 years, this is the worst I've seen it. New imports, late snow and pretty sure road crews screwed the pooch too.

Picked up groceries, time to make the trek home.

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
Snowed here a bit too. Had to coach the wife to get the car up the driveway as there was ice on the driveway covered with snow. Roads are fine though.

8C31A5E8-4D0E-4DE2-AC21-E72595866FE5.jpeg

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
We are glad we are not at home. Expected to be around -30Ā°F over the weekend with about 8-10" of snow. Then it will warm up to more normal temps of 20-30Ā°F with another round of snow. I'm thankful my daughter works from home and son-in-law only commutes about 3 miles each way. Being at home with that kind of weather is not that big of a deal, but having to travel anywhere is.

Watch out for the dum-dums @monkeyswrench

Last edited:

Wedgy

Reaction score
Been blowing, freezing for a while. 30 miles coming home from the Vet in a little blizzard on Monday. Not much snow, but the wind made visibility blizzards. Guess Y'all's weather will hit here this weekend.

Stay safe and warm all.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
20240111_082857.jpg

This was coming up the road by my house. Slicker than cat snot. Past a work truck that got into a head-on...side of the road, left front corner decimated...hit something bigger, because it was alone. It had pulled out of a road that leads to a newer development.

As I saw a car coming my way, another dipshit pulls out of the same road. Not "cut off", but really too close and fast considering the conditions. The car it turned in front of turned out to be my daughter, whom I'd woken up early so she could leave for class early. As I watch in the rearview, now almost stopped, dipshit accelerates. More tried too. Slipped and slid, ended up right behind the aforementioned wrecked truck. I see daughter's brake lights...and then she slowly pulled around and off she went. It took dipshit a few tries, but got back up on the road.

Road hazards up here are mostly human, driving SUV's!

Flatsix66

Reaction score
View attachment 1321474
This was coming up the road by my house. Slicker than cat snot. Past a work truck that got into a head-on...side of the road, left front corner decimated...hit something bigger, because it was alone. It had pulled out of a road that leads to a newer development.

As I saw a car coming my way, another dipshit pulls out of the same road. Not "cut off", but really too close and fast considering the conditions. The car it turned in front of turned out to be my daughter, whom I'd woken up early so she could leave for class early. As I watch in the rearview, now almost stopped, dipshit accelerates. More tried too. Slipped and slid, ended up right behind the aforementioned wrecked truck. I see daughter's brake lights...and then she slowly pulled around and off she went. It took dipshit a few tries, but got back up on the road.

Damn Californians! White plates bad.

boatpi

Reaction score
Be careful going to Vegas. Thereā€™s snow and ice all over Halloran exit and around Baker. Good thing I left yesterday itā€™s a mess from what I see.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I fly to West Jordan Utah for two weeks. Iā€™m not looking forward to it to be honest

500bbc

Reaction score
We've had a little snow, not much. @fat rat will be leaving shortly if he can get out of the house šŸ¤£ We got a little snow this morning, but I think it may have started early. It hit, melted, and then froze...and then snowed again.

The shit show is epic:eek:

Disney on ice don't have shit on what's going on here! Going to be a lot of bent rims. Slow motion spinning and sliding into curbs. Lots of close calls, but no impacts yet. There are three lanes for drop off at my son's school. I was in the middle lane, and stopped, to wait for an f350, all 4 spinning, to slide across in front of me! Like a possessed car, lateral movement all the way to the curb:oops:

@Nanu/Nanu be careful out there! After 12 years, this is the worst I've seen it. New imports, late snow and pretty sure road crews screwed the pooch too.

Picked up groceries, time to make the trek home.
That's a nice combo, slick as snot.
My buddy in Idaho got out of his truck in his driveway after a market run. Black ice on the driveway, woke up draped over a landscape boulder with a concussion and two broken ribs.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
View attachment 1321474

Chino valley right?

dread Pirate

Reaction score
Tried to snow last night but cleared up as the temps dropped. Now it's 31 at noon with clear skies. Having a hard time changing out of sweats into real clothes to go to work,,,Wood stove feels nice. Might say f it and pour some Kahlua in my coffee...:)

chadzilla

Legend Performance Marine
Reaction score
Yea it's getting a little chilly. Projected to be -10 tomorrow night in Spokane. Only for a few days though. This happens every year and people lose their minds. It's the same as when the first snow arrives. Everyone is sliding off the roads. I did learn a lesson about tires when we first moved here and that is big knobby off road tires like BFG mud terrains are down right horrible in icy conditions. Good in deep snow but terrifying on icy roads. Good time to go out and split firewood as I won't sweat!

FreeBird236

Reaction score
We are glad we are not at home. Expected to be around -30Ā°F over the weekend with about 8-10" of snow. Then it will warm up to more normal temps of 20-30Ā°F with another round of snow. I'm thankful my daughter works from home and son-in-law only commutes about 3 miles each way. Being at home with that kind of weather is not that big of a deal, but having to travel anywhere is.

Watch out for the dum-dums @monkeyswrench
So where do you keep your thermostat? Do you have some sort of notification if the heater was to fail? Anything else special for sub-zero temps when you're not there?

Nanu/Nanu

Don't wait til' life's easy to be happy
Reaction score
Thanks @monkeyswrench and @fat rat.

Ill be as safe as i can probably going to be going out tonight. Came home early to save our hours.

I didn't get to see much as i was at work when it started and we didn't venture out much wife was heading in with kiddos when they called off school and she said it was ridiculous!

Haha what about that view now? Clear skies and all our snow is melted except the patches left from the last storm

spectras only

Reaction score
It's -11 C [ 12.2 F ] outside right now at my place, going down to -25 C [ -13 F ] in the night . Balmy weather compared to -41 C [ - 41,8 F ] reporting from further up North and East. We had the El nino until a couple of days ago with no snow at all.

1705011021592.png

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
Had the pleasure of dealing with the storm on Sunday driving from Williams to Flagstaff, and then on to Phoenix.

Amazing how many people were driving 35mph with their flashers on, and how many were still doing 80+. And let's not mention both groups tailgating like it is going out of style!
PXL_20240107_171609267.jpg
PXL_20240107_181441747.jpg

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
Had the pleasure of dealing with the storm on Sunday driving from Williams to Flagstaff, and then on to Phoenix.

Amazing how many people were driving 35mph with their flashers on, and how many were still doing 80+. And let's not mention both groups tailgating like it is going out of style!
View attachment 1321577 View attachment 1321579
IMG_4480.jpg
IMG_4480.jpg

I did about 75 mile on snow from Winslow to Payson on Sunday, very peaceful, no traffic.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Be careful going to Vegas. Thereā€™s snow and ice all over Halloran exit and around Baker. Good thing I left yesterday itā€™s a mess from what I see.
Many years ago my wifeā€™s uncle owned the gas station and towing service at Halloran Summit. He sold those $300 fan belts in the summer and who knows what he got for a tow. But for him and his wife, it was nearly a 24/7 dedication to the business. They finally found easy money when CHP began renting some mobile homes from them.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
So where do you keep your thermostat? Do you have some sort of notification if the heater was to fail? Anything else special for sub-zero temps when you're not there?
We keep the thermostat at 50Ā°F. We have two wifi thermometers, one in the kitchen and one in the crawlspace. If the power goes out, we have no view into what is going on because we won't have any wifi, but our kids live 4 miles away. Our well is shut off and the water heater is drained, so we won't have water damage if a pipe breaks.

Last edited:

FreeBird236

Reaction score
We keep the thermostat at 50Ā°F. We have two wifi thermometers, one in the kitchen and one in the crawlspace. If the power goes out, we have no view into what is going on, but our kids live 4 miles away. Our well is shut off and the water heater is drained, so we won't have water damage if a pipe breaks.
Thanks, always wondered about that.

Orange Juice

Reaction score
View attachment 1321474

Breakout the snow chainsšŸ˜‚

stokerwhore

aka bordsmnj
Reaction score
Many years ago my wifeā€™s uncle owned the gas station and towing service at Halloran Summit. He sold those $300 fan belts in the summer and who knows what he got for a tow. But for him and his wife, it was nearly a 24/7 dedication to the business. They finally found easy money when CHP began renting some mobile homes from them.
i think i stopped there to pee about 12 years ago and it was closed/boarded up. what happened? always been interested in the old "desert settlements" or whatever.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
There are certainly times when the weather tax is worth it me thinks.
You go right on thinking that...next drought, rolling blackouts...your weather tax money going to pay for medical benefits for illegals (including "gender reassignment).

Much easier to shovel snow from the sidewalks than homeless people. Oddly enough, where you have one, you don't have the other ;)

17 10 Flat

Reaction score
You go right on thinking that...next drought, rolling blackouts...your weather tax money going to pay for medical benefits for illegals (including "gender reassignment).

Much easier to shovel snow from the sidewalks than homeless people. Oddly enough, where you have one, you don't have the other ;)

Yup it's Florida for me. Hurricanes OK the media builds them up worse than they are. Scares the New Yorkers so I'm okay with that.
Fort Meyers got hammered last time, the storm changed corse at last minute caught many off guard.

Get a little generator keep 10 gallons of gas as the season approaches. Humidly it's up there, just dress for it.
I put Impact resistant windows in. Actually no need to put up shutters now. These things are almost 1/2 inch thick with a neoprene type center, plus an insulating area for another plane of glass.

When inspector came he mentioned this type will stop a lower velocity bullet.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
i think i stopped there to pee about 12 years ago and it was closed/boarded up. what happened? always been interested in the old "desert settlements" or whatever.
Donā€™t know. Her uncle sold that property/business many years ago.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
That's engine replacement weather. Most boat owners in Texas are clueless about consecutive days below 32Ā°. You'll be busy between March and June.

At least up until Snowmageddon a few years ago. people have been pretty good about it since then.

And Insurance companies have been rather predatory towards shops since that time too

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
At least up until Snowmageddon a few years ago. people have been pretty good about it since then.

And Insurance companies have been rather predatory towards shops since that time too
I think it was you that posted some owners in Texas were trying to cheap out and not winterize their stuff, leaving a light on to heat the motor. Both a fire hazard, and risking the power shutting off.

I had a guy want his rv winterized Wednesday, because it was going to snow...we've already had at least two pretty bad freezes. Low pressure air told me he will be spending some money in a few weeks. When I told him, you'd think I kicked his puppy or something. His next Glamis trip "may not happen".
"Covid Coaches", the gift that keeps on giving.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
There are specifically made and marketed bilge heaters that a lot of people have historically used myself included. Except that all changed when the power grid collapsed and most insurance policies have been rewritten to not cover freeze damage unless the boat has been fully winterized by a proper marine mechanic.

Now what happens is the insurance company will ask the customer for the invoice that shows the boat was winterized and then they will turn around and use that invoice to sue the company that did the winterization for the cost of the new engine or other froze broke components.

Very few people winterize with me because I now disable the engines when I winterize them or make the person sign a piece of paper releasing me of liability for any freeze damage.

Last edited:

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Damn, it was above 50 here today...T-shirt weather. Honestly, having never been in any part of Texas during winter, I didn't realize it go so cold there until I got RDP news and weather updates.

spectras only

Reaction score
It's still -22 C [ -7.2 F ] outside at my house right now. Another 5 days before going back to 0 C.
Talking about heaters in garages/shops, I'll have to put a nat gas line in mine for heater before next winter.My garage is attached to the house, still temp went to freeze point to -0.9 Celsius. Have an electric heater I could turn on but it's too weak to work for long in the garage.

Last edited:

RCDave

Reaction score
Boise....

Overnight: Snow likely with a low of 12. Total nighttime snow accumulation of around 6 inches.

Sunday: a high near 24. West northwest wind 3 to 6 mph.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 7. Northwest wind 3 to 5 mph.

M.L.King Day: a high near 20. Wind chill values between -2 and 8. Northwest wind around 6 mph.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 3.

Tuesday: high near 19.

Tuesday Night: Snow. Low around 14. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Wednesday: Snow likely, mainly before 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 32. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Ricks raft

Reaction score

View attachment 1321577 View attachment 1321579
Seems to be the new thing. Seeing it more and more in the last year or two. Rural roads or freeways. Fog, hard rain, snow, idiots driving with their flashers on for miles. So now you donā€™t know when theirs an actual ā€œemergencyā€.