WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Finally Bought a Boat!!!

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Hello, finally bought my own boat last weekend. After three years of looking, saving, and learning all I can I finally pulled the trigger. It's a 91 Carrera 205 Elite in really good condition. Ran it for 2 weekends in a row with no problems!

Any advice or tips about owning a boat please let me know. Well I know everyone likes pictures so here you go.

Also, destroyed my first prop this weekend! (Long Story)

RodnJen

Reaction score
Welcome, congrats and wish you years of fun!

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
At least you learned on a cheap prop.

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Nice looking boat, congratulations.
Also, you really did a number on that prop.:thumbsup

grumpy88

Reaction score
If you had to relatively 2 trouble free weekends call it a summer ! Just kidding . Looks great enjoy it every chance you get :champagne:

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
If you had to relatively 2 trouble free weekends call it a summer ! Just kidding . Looks great enjoy it every chance you get :champagne:

Anyone recommend a good shop that will do maintenance on the boat. Boat is currently stored in Needles, but willing to drive to Havasu. I heard premier is good in needles but can't ever get a hold of them.

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Congrats! Like the blue :thumbsup

Well... looks like you learned how to kill a prop. :) Let's hear the story.

I was with someone who has been going to the river for a long time and we were coming back from Topock after 8pm. (I knew shouldn't I have been out when it got dark lol)

Right past the needles bridge he warned me about the known rocky area, well I didn't listen and my out drive was all the way down....BANG!!!!!

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
I plan to upgrade the sound system next year.....couldn't hear my music over the other boats that were parked at pirates cove.

bilz

Newly Retired!😁
Reaction score
Congrats on the boat! Nice truck also!

plaster dave

Face down A$$ up
Reaction score
Congrats. I have always loved that boat. My cousin had one in 1989 and my whole family liked that boat. It was named no stanky fish.

Advantage 1

Reaction score
I was with someone who has been going to the river for a long time and we were coming back from Topock after 8pm. (I knew shouldn't I have been out when it got dark lol)

Right past the needles bridge he warned me about the known rocky area, well I didn't listen and my out drive was all the way down....BANG!!!!!

Damn. That is a sound you won't forget :D

Keep your cooler and gas tank full... you will do just fine :thumbsup

77charger

Reaction score
Those 20.5s are nice boats esp for older boats.Made well and most that own one like them.

Now for prop get a stainless.if its a 350 alpha combo then a 3 blade 21p will work well.
If 454 prob gonna want atleast a 23p.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Anyone recommend a good shop that will do maintenance on the boat. Boat is currently stored in Needles, but willing to drive to Havasu. I heard premier is good in needles but can't ever get a hold of them.

I'm not from that area, but I have never heard of premier.. There has been some talk of AZ Boat guys up that way that has been positive.. I don't know anything about them though so take that for what it is.

We have tons of quality shops in Havasu. AJ @ Barrett Custom Marine, Aaron at Absolute, Mark at Savage Marine are the official board sponsors of RDP, all three are great shops, and I would stand behind them. Paul (Outdrive1) at OEM Marine is a long time member here and also has a shop here in havasu that has been taking care of a few people on here. (soon to be a board sponsor, just have to finish his ads). Not too many shops in Havasu I wouldn't trust, it would be easier to find one that I would go to for a service..

RD

DrHW

Reaction score
The Boat looks terrific! Good colors.

Now that you have the busted prop experience under your belt you should be fine. Keep the second prop in the Boat as back-up and have the right size socket to change it. One never knows. Three years of looking and saving. A true Boater at heart. PM me about Premier, easy peasy. The stainless steel prop recommendations is a good idea. We launch right where you did I am sure. NEVER go north of the Needles Bridge. We ride to at least the sandbar and more often than not on to Havasu.

BUDMAN

HAVASU BOUND
Reaction score
Congrats on your first boat. Looks great. Hope you get many enjoyable weekends out of it. And welcome to the board

LAVEYNICK

Reaction score
Nice boat! And premier in needles does awesome work but rarely answers his phone it's best to just stop by his shop

Keymyster

Reaction score
Nice looking boat. Try Mark @ Savage Marine. Been great for me.:D

Chopperman

Reaction score
Sweet boat, congrats! And that sucks about the prop!

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
Congrats! Love that hull, great boat. Sorry about the prop, but look at it like this, now you get to go find a nice stainless one!!

TBI

Thumbless Wonder
Reaction score
Good looking boat, Congrats! :thumbsup

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
I'm not from that area, but I have never heard of premier.. There has been some talk of AZ Boat guys up that way that has been positive.. I don't know anything about them though so take that for what it is.

We have tons of quality shops in Havasu. AJ @ Barrett Custom Marine, Aaron at Absolute, Mark at Savage Marine are the official board sponsors of RDP, all three are great shops, and I would stand behind them. Paul (Outdrive1) at OEM Marine is a long time member here and also has a shop here in havasu that has been taking care of a few people on here. (soon to be a board sponsor, just have to finish his ads). Not too many shops in Havasu I wouldn't trust, it would be easier to find one that I would go to for a service..

RD

Thanks for the info!

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
nice ride
welcome to the jungle

I would tow to Havasu for any and all repairs and service ---they will answers the phone :p

blacksockdown

Banned
Reaction score
Great lookn boat! Dont sweat the fucked up prop.Rite of passage.TrimItHighLetItFly! More pics of your boat!

Andy B.

Reaction score
Nice boat and rig enjoy the rest of the summer. And your not a real boater until you dinged up a prop, so consider yourself a pro!:skull

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score

Very nice looking boat and congrats!

I have heard nothing but good about Premier. A friend of mine has been going there for years.

After hearing several great reviews, I started to use Guy's Marine Repair. Guy is originally from Orange County and has years of experience. He has a shop at his house in WV (the side behind Best Buy Market). He does really great work and his prices are reasonable. Guy will pick my boat up from storage and drop it back off which makes life easy for me.

Guy Page
928-768-3437

RD

RD, please don't refer any site members to AZ Boat Guys. Do a search on your own site. The owner is a straight up crook and does crappy work at best.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I plan to upgrade the sound system next year.....couldn't hear my music over the other boats that were parked at pirates cove.

You'll need to install a roll bar if you plan to compete:D:D

crzy2bealive

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good tips on how to read the water?

For example sandbars and rocks.

I got a pretty good idea on how to read where rocks are.

Just don't want to end up stuck somewhere lol.

LuckyDaze

Reaction score

Watch the surface of the water. In a river when water is running over rocks or a sand bar it'll ripple differently than deep water. I've also had a bottom come up on me pretty quick down south in blythe. Just gotta keep your eyes open and learn the area you run in.

Beautiful boat you got yourself there. Welcome to the madness.

DaytonaBabe

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats on the new boat!!! :thumbsup:thumbsup Welcome to RDP, inmate #15017...

jet496

Reaction score

That why I started buying jet boats. I went through at least 10 props so welcome to boat ownership. PS: Keep a spare prop.

77charger

Reaction score

Simple terms stay south of the needles bridge.Just south of jack smith it can get shallow on the ca side after that you are good for a couple ore miles then theres a shallow area on the ca side again.(this last one looks like it more sand and rocks got deposited after the monsoons this summer)water was really low and this sandbar was atleast a couple feet out of the water but when its normal you can see the ripples over it easily too.If you aint sure the az side has always been safe all the way down.

dezrtracer

Reaction score
Nice boat !!! Have a great time on the water .....

stokernick

Reaction score
if you tore that prop that bad better check your outdrive cuz I'm not sure there might be some damage there! Nice boat! Enjoy!:)

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
When in doubt.....follow a bigger boat through the area, trim high and let if fly!

You are never going to win a stereo contest with a wakeboard boat....just move away, it was probably a sausage fest to begin with

Try Steve @ Flat Top's marine, he has always been fair and does good work.

Sign up with vessel assist for the $60 a year.....it will pay for itself five times over the first time you need it

Always turn right when coming head-on with another boat

Welcome to boat ownership

prosthogod

Reaction score
I feel that if you own a boat you should do all your own routine maintenance. Engine oil, drive oil and lube every 20-25 hours. Impeller at the beginning of every season, check distributor cap and rotor, plug wires, plugs. Don't hit rocks and you won't bend shafts. Watch your gauges when driving, and if something doesn't sound right , it probably isn't, so get it checked. Knowing how to do that can save you $$$$$ over the years, plus it feels good. You can buy a pressure pump oil can for the drive for $100. Put a 4 ft long hose on the engine oil drain plug attachment to go out the plug hole to drain oil. I can now do 2 engines in about 3 beers.

24ultra

Reaction score
Congrats on the boat. I use mike at premiere sports and have been very happy. I store my boat at all-seasons and they set-up an appt with mike for me and he arranges the pick-up and delivery to and from the shop. Not sure if your storage does the same but it's worth looking into.

454Rocket

I thought RDSUX?
Reaction score
I love my 20.5 elite.

Keep in mind that hull takes rollers over the bow. Keep it parallel to boat traffic when floating.

Never cover a boat when the interior is wet or leave covered after being rained on. Crack open all the seats when stored.

I highly doubt that boat came with an alum. Prop. Time to go to stainless, performance will be much better

Do not be cheap when it comes to maintenance. Fix it right the first time as soon as you notice a problem. You'll find out what B.O.A.T really means in any case.

DrHW

Reaction score
Are you still here?

Get out on the water and follow the directions posted about launnching from Jack Smith and have fun! :D