WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

F29 wanted

River911

911 River Trip
Reaction score
Love that 29. Shoulda bought it when it was sitting in Dave's shop a couple years ago :(

jack14r

Reaction score
I believe at one time DCB had a dealer in the Lake Norman area. Also, Grey Goose has his twin whacker F29 out there some where, I think Lake Norman. Wasn't there a video a while back of the guy that bought that yellow F34 and flipped it on a lake in NC? Like the comment above, the locals in the fishing boats and pontoons were all pissy about "a fast noisy boat" that was on "their" lake. Regardless, it's nice to see a west coast boat going east!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There was a dealer in Salisbury,Extreme Marine and they did not have a clue and were big liars,they went chapter 7,I didn't know about the 34,how many did Dave build?

jack14r

Reaction score
Love that 29. Shoulda bought it when it was sitting in Dave's shop a couple years ago :(

Its amazing that I am the 4th owner and no one trashed it,there are very few scratches or signs of normal wear.

graygoose

Reaction score
I believe at one time DCB had a dealer in the Lake Norman area. Also, Grey Goose has his twin whacker F29 out there some where, I think Lake Norman. Wasn't there a video a while back of the guy that bought that yellow F34 and flipped it on a lake in NC? Like the comment above, the locals in the fishing boats and pontoons were all pissy about "a fast noisy boat" that was on "their" lake. Regardless, it's nice to see a west coast boat going east!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, I have had mine on Lake Norman for the past year.
there are two other ones here, a F29 and an F32.

Here is mine
picture.php

Last edited:

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
I didn't know about the 34,how many did Dave build?
From what I know, not many. I think there were some issues with the bottoms so they got some bad press. Dave retooled the bottom and corrected the problem, but I think he was on to other boats and didn't want to look back at the 34.
How are those props treating you? Did I tell you I was rear ended on the way home from our meeting :grumble: I sold you the props for $600 and the deductible for my repairs was $1000 :D Next time I sell you props your an just come pick them up and I'll give you an extra $400 :D

Patyacht

Reaction score
Hey Jack;
Glad to see the boat made it out to NC and you've been out for a spin already. Boat looks great and happy I could help with the pre inspection. Enjoy the boat she looks awesome.

jack14r

Reaction score
Hey Jack;
Glad to see the boat made it out to NC and you've been out for a spin already. Boat looks great and happy I could help with the pre inspection. Enjoy the boat she looks awesome.

Thanks Pat,I am just testing right now,I took out the spacer and it ran 127 today,it was a little looser and accelerated harder,but it ran out of prop,it hit the rev limiter at 6300 and I ordered a set of Hering 5 blade props this afternoon.I called Tony at DCB(thanks for the contact #)and he told me that to run the big numbers it takes a 2 inch shortie,a 1.25 gear ratio,and the right Hering prop.I am not ready to do that yet I need more seat time with what I have and need to fine tune the Hering that I have ordered.I do think that the test in powerboat from 2007 was not accurate as to prop and gear ratio.Dave wants the boats on a rail for his customers which is exactly what I would do if I was building fast boats.Tony did say that this combination with the 2" shortie,1.25 ratio,Hering prop could run 145.This boat is really fun to drive at speed and your help with the inspection prior to the purchase made the purchase easy for me.

BMABITY

Reaction score
Thanks Pat,I am just testing right now,I took out the spacer and it ran 127 today,it was a little looser and accelerated harder,but it ran out of prop,it hit the rev limiter at 6300 and I ordered a set of Hering 5 blade props this afternoon.I called Tony at DCB(thanks for the contact #)and he told me that to run the big numbers it takes a 2 inch shortie,a 1.25 gear ratio,and the right Hering prop.I am not ready to do that yet I need more seat time with what I have and need to fine tune the Hering that I have ordered.I do think that the test in powerboat from 2007 was not accurate as to prop and gear ratio.Dave wants the boats on a rail for his customers which is exactly what I would do if I was building fast boats.Tony did say that this combination with the 2" shortie,1.25 ratio,Hering prop could run 145.This boat is really fun to drive at speed and your help with the inspection prior to the purchase made the purchase easy for me.

127 to 145 mph with a drive height change and props, wow! How does the boat plane with its current setup? I would have to assume that going for the big mph must kill the boats plane time.

jack14r

Reaction score
127 to 145 mph with a drive height change and props, wow! How does the boat plane with its current setup? I would have to assume that going for the big mph must kill the boats plane time.

It is on the rev limiter and lets really assume that he really meant 140-145.It really does not cavitate out of the hole so the drive is just too deep.

jack14r

Reaction score
I really hope you make it to 140 but I would be really surprised but you never know. Since the first owner did hit 136 and that was with 3 people aboard and he messed with many different props, he told me the Herrings didn't seem to do the trick at the time. The second owner played with a lot of different props including Herrings he wasn't able to hit the 140 mark either. Good Luck! It's still the Best looking F-29 out there!!!

I understand that Jeff is the type to try for big numbers and if he could not do it it might be impossible,I do wonder how truthful Powerboat was with their test speed of 141.6 in 2007 with the red one.I suspect that the only way it could be done is with one aboard,light fuel,everything extra out of the boat,cool day,and real good density altitude.It is fun to see how one can do with props,your number of 136 does give me something to shoot for.Thanks again for the compliment,I am still surprised that it is so nice after 3 owners and 4+ years.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
Jack, are you coming out for desert storm?

MedicalPlanQuotes.com / IPhone

jack14r

Reaction score
Jack, are you coming out for desert storm?

MedicalPlanQuotes.com / IPhone

I would like to one day but it is 4500 miles round trip,I actually have a conflict that weekend this year.How hard is it to get a place for the week?

dougiebear111

Reaction score
Hey Jack, just give me a call. I can get the boat out here and back home. All you have to do is fly in and fly out. Isn't that how the big boys play?HAHAHA. Glad to see you are getting to play with your new boat. l
Looking forward to seeing all of your speed trials.

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I would like to one day but it is 4500 miles round trip,I actually have a conflict that weekend this year.How hard is it to get a place for the week?

Fly in to Vegas, two hour drive, probably rooms / houses still available

Reaper1

Reaction score
there are two other ones here, a F29 and an F32.

Here is mine
picture.php

Hey, where the hell have you been?:D Hope your leaving the dream in Nascar country!:thumbsup

jack14r

Reaction score
Today was a great weather day so I went to the lake for a run,changed to a stock set of bravo 1 props 36 pitch,the temperature was 64 degrees and my hand held weather station said the density altitude was 1000 feet,2 aboard,3/8 tanks 130.5 @ 6100 RPM.I have a set of 2" shorties with 1.25 ratio on order as well as a set of Herings and Gibbs is doing a set of 34s for me and if they are not tall enough I will have them do the 36s,I have lots of stuff to test,I hope I get it all done before summer.I now feel much better that it can run 135 or better with the right set up.The F29 is really awesome at speed it really feels like it is planted and never wanders.

dancudmore

Reaction score
Today was a great weather day so I went to the lake for a run,changed to a stock set of bravo 1 props 36 pitch,the temperature was 64 degrees and my hand held weather station said the density altitude was 1000 feet,2 aboard,3/8 tanks 130.5 @ 6100 RPM.I have a set of 2" shorties with 1.25 ratio on order as well as a set of Herings and Gibbs is doing a set of 34s for me and if they are not tall enough I will have them do the 36s,I have lots of stuff to test,I hope I get it all done before summer.I now feel much better that it can run 135 or better with the right set up.The F29 is really awesome at speed it really feels like it is planted and never wanders.

nice! :cool: :thumbsup :thumbsup :bowdown:

River911

911 River Trip
Reaction score

What is the height now? -0

BMABITY

Reaction score

Sounds like things are moving in the right direction. Those V-10's must sound cool buzzing along at 6000+ rpm's! Thanks for the updates, its always cool to read about progress on any boat. Good luck..

jack14r

Reaction score
How does it roll over??

With 34s it does not have any cavitation,with the 36s it has some but is still very good,big props just do that,I am really surprised with the 34s they put the 1/2" spacer in because it is just not needed at all.

jack14r

Reaction score
This week was very different,I installed the pair of 2"shorties with 1.25 ratio with 34 props,at first I didn't think that it would come on plane but I finally got it on plane on the second try.The wind was gusting up to 25-30 mph and the cat would yaw with the wind,it never felt settled,the acceleration was sluggish with the gearing and I only ran it to 122 because I was just not comfortable as it darted around with the wind.JJ at Gibbs propeller said that it would act exactly as it did.I don't think that it would have ever come on plane with 4 or 5 aboard.I have ordered 2 sets of 1.34 gears and 2 one inch spacers for those shorties,I am sending them to Wilson Performance Marine in Florida to be profiled,so now I am waiting on a 2 sets of props to continue to find more speed,I have re installed the 1" shorties as that is what I know is very drivable.

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
Good info, thanks for sharing. Do you think the problems were caused by the 1.25 ratio or the additional 1" in height? Looks like your going to find out.

jack14r

Reaction score
The height creates most of the problem I think,I will try a 1/2 inch spacer and a 1" spacer also,but I know that I cannot pull the 1.25 in either of those conditions so I will change it to a 1.34.I do think that it will run big numbers with the short drive just not in windy conditions and I need a much larger lake.There is a happy medium that I will find,it must come on plane reasonably,have good speed and do it with 3-4 aboard with 1/2 tanks,I know as the summer gets here it will change again but if I have established a good baseline I will be able to adjust with just a set of props.What have you found with yours?

HighVoltage329

Reaction score
Mine has -1" on the lowers and runnin' 34" Bravos with 625 Ilmor's. It's the set up that was on the boat. It has some blow out rolling over but is minimal. I haven't done any top end runs yes but did see 120mph at one point and was still pulling. I was running at sea level in cool conditions.

jack14r

Reaction score
Mine has -1" on the lowers and runnin' 34" Bravos with 625 Ilmor's. It's the set up that was on the boat. It has some blow out rolling over but is minimal. I haven't done any top end runs yes but did see 120mph at one point and was still pulling. I was running at sea level in cool conditions.

With the -1 and 34s I do not have any blow out with the 36s I have a little blow out,the 36s are faster this time of year,both sets are stock and I have a set of 34s coming from Gibbs and a set of 5 blades from Hering,both of those will be interesting to test.

jack14r

Reaction score
JJ gibbs called and said that props would be shipped tomorrow,they are a set of 34s,he also said that the left hand prop was not even close to what it should have been in pitch,but he fixed the pitch and the pair will be the same.Jeff from Hering emailed me and they are out of right hand Bravo castings and they will be delivered in 2 weeks,I bet I am looking at 4 weeks for the Herings.The 2" shorties are ready for shipment to Wilson Custom Marine in Florida and I will ship them tomorrow to be profiled by WCM.I have ordered a 1" spacer for the 2" shortie and a pair of 1.34 gears from Imco and they are out 2 weeks.It is apparent that in this economy that no one has any inventory!!

jack14r

Reaction score
Well things changed,Hering is ready to ship by tomorrow.

jack14r

Reaction score
The weather was nice here today,70 degrees with very high pressure 30.35,I tested the Herings (33) and the Gibbs labbed Bravo 1 (34) the Herings hit the rev limiter and the speed was 128,the Gibbs also hit the limiter and they ran 130.5.The Gibbs will be about perfect on a 85-90 degree day as they just touched the limiter and they really accelerated very fast.I am sending a set of 36s to gibbs to be labbed to be my cool weather props and I will return the Herings for some more tuning for top speed.Craig Wilson has my extra set of lowers that he is profiling and I hope to get them back in a couple of weeks.They are 2" shorties but I have a 1" spacer for them,with the spacers they will be the same height as my current drives.

Chipster27

B Team Member #27
Reaction score
First off, that's a beautiful boat. You're a lucky man to have it :thumbsup

Second, I love all the testing your putting in to it, and more than that, the fact that you're posting your results. I'm sure others are benefiting from your time and efforts :thumbsup

Please keep it up! Enjoy the boat and the summer :D

jack14r

Reaction score
Wilson Marine called and they are working on the lowers,the 1.34 gears are in,I have the 1 inch spacers for the 2 inch shorties,,Hering is making a new set of 5 blade props-34 pitch, I sent a set of B1-36 pitch to JJ Gibbs to lab into 35 pitch.I will report back when stuff is in hand.

jack14r

Reaction score
The lowers from wilson Custom Marine arrived and I took them to be reassembled,they look great,I sent JJ Gibbs a pair of bravo 36 pitch props to lab finish and they should be back next week.I had an idle problem on my last trip to the lake and I emailed Ilmor about the problem they wanted the ECUs and the throttle bodies,they were sure that the throttle position sensor on the port engine had failed,I took all of the stuff off the motors,marked each item port or starboard and shipped them to Ilmore.They flowed the TBs and re flashed the ECMs and the port TPS was defective,they only charged for the TPS,no labor or anything.I did purchase air filters and they returned everything within 24 hours,their communication and service is excellent.Today I wanted to see how the newly installed TBs,ECMs performed,everything was perfect,the transom after an hour or so was almost clean compared to the previous runs,and the boat repeated even though the density altitude was 2250 feet and the temperature was 82 degrees.The air cleaners have crankcase ventilation going to them which oiled up the elements,I am not sure which item corrected the rich condition but it sure does idle better and I never get a smell of gasoline any more.I will post pictures of the lowers later they look great.

jack14r

Reaction score
The lowers are re assembled and here are some pictures before re assembly,should have props from JJ Gibbs by Friday and should test by the weekend.

Attachments

• lower 001.jpg
    lower 001.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 381
  • lower 002.jpg
    lower 002.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 389
  • lower 003.jpg
    lower 003.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 381
  • lower 005.jpg
    lower 005.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 377

jack14r

Reaction score
The water pick ups are only for the drive shower,the motor gets water from the sea strainers which have a pick ups through the hull.

River911

911 River Trip
Reaction score
The water pick ups are only for the drive shower,the motor gets water from the sea strainers which have a pick ups through the hull.

Cool same as mine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

jack14r

Reaction score
I got the labbed 36s from JJ Gibbs on Monday and went to the lake,the density altitude was horrible,2500 feet.I was concerned that it might not pull the 36s(which are actually 35s now)but it did ok,it ran 130.5 and it turned 5900 RPM,based on correction factor chart that I have used to estimate horsepower at 1000 foot density altitude it should run 133-134 MPH.I have now installed the Wilson Custom Marine profiled lowers,they now have the same ratio and height as the lowers that they replaced.This weekend looks to be about 10-15 degrees cooler and the pressure is rising,I will start with the 36s again and I am awaiting the replacement set of Hering props which should be here in a couple of weeks.

jack14r

Reaction score
Today was good the density altitude was 900 feet and the temperature was 68 degrees.I installed the Wilson Custom Marine profiled lowers with 1"spacers and the JJ Gibbs 36 labbed props,it ran 136 and only turned 6000 RPM.The Wilson lowers really help the slip as it was 11% now it is 8%,now it is time to test with the Gibbs 34s.I was really surprised how much the lowers hurt the hole shot,it was real hard to get on plane with the 36s,but they really helped on top,the correction factor that I have used tells me that the lowers were 3-4 MPH faster than the stock Imco lowers.The nose cone points were in a different location which meant that the tow in had to be reset about 1/4 inch to get the tow to 1/8 tow in.The lowers are straight and true according to Craig Wilson,and the change in toe in confirms it.

jack14r

Reaction score
After a few emails with Craig Wilson he helped me find what I think is the hole shot problem,he states that his profiled drives should help the hole shot so he asked what did I change,I only changed from a 1" shortie to a 2" shortie with a 1" spacer,the Imco spacer does not follow the profile of the Imco SC lower it actually is blunt at the very front,which will disturb the water flow to the propeller,so I will fabricate a new piece about 3 inches long to follow the profile of the drive.This blunt area is above the water flow at speed therefore it did not affect top speed.I did test the 34s on Sunday and they ran 132 on the rev limiter,this is faster than before with the old lowers.I am surprised that Imco does not make the spacer to match the lower.

jack14r

Reaction score
I fabricated 2 V pieces to help direct the water flow to help the hole shot.

Attachments

• lower pie004.jpg
    lower pie004.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 245
  • lower pie 005.jpg
    lower pie 005.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 249

jack14r

Reaction score
Went to test the V shaped pieces that are pictured above and they really helped the hole shot,it was like it was before with the other drives.The day was 78 degrees and the density altitude was 1700 feet and there was no breeze,it ran 135 on glass water with a lot of trim,the Wilson lowers are worth about 4 MPH IMHO,they are really worth the price.

fmo24

Reaction score
I'm loving this thread. The information you are sharing should really give people a leg up on setting up a similar boat

Just Tool'in

Reaction score
Hey Jack, saw you on LN a week ago Sunday. I was in the Trick 21 with Merc O/B. Had lost 1/3 of a prop blade just before I saw you so couldn't run to well. You saw my son and I limping back to the dock by the state park area. Your boat looks awesome and i am super jealous! that is a dream boat for me! Hope to catch up with you this season some time on the water, of course your boat will need to be idling or turned off for me to catch up with you! I have a machine shop in Lakeside park, read where you have a metal shop. Talk to ya soon, Steve

jack14r

Reaction score
Hey Jack, saw you on LN a week ago Sunday. I was in the Trick 21 with Merc O/B. Had lost 1/3 of a prop blade just before I saw you so couldn't run to well. You saw my son and I limping back to the dock by the state park area. Your boat looks awesome and i am super jealous! that is a dream boat for me! Hope to catch up with you this season some time on the water, of course your boat will need to be idling or turned off for me to catch up with you! I have a machine shop in Lakeside park, read where you have a metal shop. Talk to ya soon, Steve

Not me,I am on Badin Lake,I might go to Norman later this summer.I live about 2 hours from Norman.

Just Tool'in

Reaction score
Wow, there is a "new" DCB on Norman runnin around with almost the same colors! Well hopefully we ctach up when you get over here! NICE boat!