WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Damn

FlyByWire

I just work here
Reaction score
I'll say it again from experience... most self entitled, elitist group of assholes I've ever come in contact with, as a whole, are road cyclists. There are exceptions, of course, but they are fewer and more far between than other stereotyped groups.

Doesn't excuse the asshole that ran this guy down, at all. He deserves prison time.

Reactions: TBI

DogNamedChevy

Motor Boating
Reaction score
I'll say it again from experience... most self entitled, elitist group of assholes I've ever come in contact with, as a whole, are road cyclists. There are exceptions, of course, but they are fewer and more far between than other stereotyped groups.

Doesn't excuse the asshole that ran this guy down, at all. He deserves prison time.
Or how about a few dudes that don't own boats on a boating forum [emoji85] [emoji90] [emoji24]

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
What would the cops say if 2 cars were driving side x side in that lane

Raffit78

Reaction score
Unfortunately, unless you have the means to get on a bike and ride on a Main Street and see what goes on, it is extremely hard to explain why some cyclists go extreme to be safe.

I have seen so many memorials on roads from bike crashes it's astonishing. Hell, my best friends dad got killed on his bike. Got "swiped" at 45 was thrown 20 yards. This was in Claremont on baseline in which the city has created arguably the largest bike lanes I have personally seen. But distracted drivers are everywhere.

I ride a lot, probably a bit too much anywhere between 80-100 miles a week. I used to ride alone, but there are so many crashes with cars, now my most rides are in large groups. Or on my trainer at home. Pretty depressing actually. But it's the safest.

JDKRXW

Reaction score
Volvo driver was an asshole for not stopping after the crash..... but I'm wondering if he even saw the cyclist he hit.
The Volvo guy knew the truck was waiting to go around the cyclist on the right, and I expect he could even catch sight of him in front of the truck because he was actually to the far right in the lane (he looked like he was on the white line. The inside cyclist was infront of the truck and there's no way Volvo guy could see him.... until the truck cleared.
The Volvo guy had 2 seconds to recognize and miss the biker after the truck pulled out to pass. The biker didn't do himself any favors with the brown shirt and shorts he was wearing either.

Reactions: TBI

ONE-A-DAY

Reaction score
I ride a lot, few hundred miles a week, but I just don't like the roads. I like to relax and enjoy the ride / workout, that's impossible when your worried about every driver that is texting. We live near a bike trail and I stay primarily on that, 60 miles round trip and no cars to deal with, a few homeless people and crack heads camping but otherwise the way to go instead of dealing with cars.

AzGeo

Fair winds and following seas George.. Rest Easy..
Reaction score
not the other ?

EVERYONE makes mistakes, BUT not knowing that your car made contact with something at 40+ MPH, is unbelievable . Did he not stop due to impairment ?

I ride a scooter around Havasu and many people don't SEE me, with my headlight on and straight pipes banging .

One video of that area showed a road sign that stated; "bicycles may use the whole lane" , so the drivers KNOW that this road is a biking place .

This whole thing is full of "basic planning and vehicle operation errors" .

Cars, trucks and bikes using the exact same place on a roadway, and allowed to move at very different speeds .

Poor planning by the traffic engineers .

The video looks to me as though both the truck and the SUV were "passing on a curve over double yellow lines", which I feel is totally unsafe and illegal .

I don't care how pretty the view is, I would not drive or ride on that "accident waiting to happen" road .

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
I think the risk of being hit by an oncoming vehicle that is doing 50+ miles per hour about 5-7 feet from you is far greater than having a car drive faster by you because you're single file.

Sorry common sense snuck out a little bit.

5-7ft is < within a foot........common sense.... noted lol

Unfortunately, unless you have the means to get on a bike and ride on a Main Street and see what goes on, it is extremely hard to explain why some cyclists go extreme to be safe.

I have seen so many memorials on roads from bike crashes it's astonishing. Hell, my best friends dad got killed on his bike. Got "swiped" at 45 was thrown 20 yards. This was in Claremont on baseline in which the city has created arguably the largest bike lanes I have personally seen. But distracted drivers are everywhere.

I ride a lot, probably a bit too much anywhere between 80-100 miles a week. I used to ride alone, but there are so many crashes with cars, now my most rides are in large groups. Or on my trainer at home. Pretty depressing actually. But it's the safest.

GFYS Raffit its not extreme. According to people like Dave; it's bizarre, self absorbed, and narcissistic!

What would the cops say if 2 cars were driving side x side in that lane

Steve-Carell-Facepalm.gif

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
not the other ?

EVERYONE makes mistakes, BUT not knowing that your car made contact with something at 40+ MPH, is unbelievable . Did he not stop due to impairment ?

I ride a scooter around Havasu and many people don't SEE me, with my headlight on and straight pipes banging .

One video of that area showed a road sign that stated; "bicycles may use the whole lane" , so the drivers KNOW that this road is a biking place .

This whole thing is full of "basic planning and vehicle operation errors" .

Cars, trucks and bikes using the exact same place on a roadway, and allowed to move at very different speeds .

Poor planning by the traffic engineers .

The video looks to me as though both the truck and the SUV were "passing on a curve over double yellow lines", which I feel is totally unsafe and illegal .

I don't care how pretty the view is, I would not drive or ride on that "accident waiting to happen" road .
The Natchez Trace is a National Park and not a normal highway. Speed limit is 50mph and enforced. No commercial vehicles allowed and not intended as a typical public highway.

Bicycles are part of the usage and purpose of the Trace so traffic engineers, if any, factor in heavy bike usage.

Special rules apply and are enforced.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
The Natchez Trace is a National Park and not a normal highway. Speed limit is 50mph and enforced. No commercial vehicles allowed and not intended as a typical public highway.

Bicycles are part of the usage and purpose of the Trace so traffic engineers, if any, factor in heavy bike usage.

Special rules apply and are enforced.

I'm not familiar with the place or the road. But why make it 50 mph speed limit and plan on heavy bike usage? Sounds like this is he end result.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
GFYS Raffit its not extreme. According to people like Dave; it's bizarre, self absorbed, and narcissistic!

Steve-Carell-Facepalm.gif

Says Mr Road Rage himself? Lol.

I don't see anything about two bicycles holding up traffic being an actual safety measure.. I see it as a way to make people see fucking red and potentially put some people on tilt enough to run the guy on the left over.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Says Mr Road Rage himself? Lol.

I don't see anything about two bicycles holding up traffic being an actual safety measure.. I see it as a way to make people see fucking red and potentially put some people on tilt enough to run the guy on the left over.

Not sure what my road rage towards other motorists has to do with this situation but you'll never see me blocking in motorcyclists splitting lanes or squeezing cyclists off the road. I'm also not sure where you see these cyclists "holding up" traffic.

PS my road rage also carried over when I rode. It's amazing what a mini bat does to mirrors and egos that wanna get ballsy.

Taboma

Reaction score
Not sure what my road rage towards other motorists has to do with this situation but you'll never see me blocking in motorcyclists splitting lanes or squeezing cyclists off the road. I'm also not sure where you see these cyclists "holding up" traffic.

PS my road rage also carried over when I rode. It's amazing what a mini bat does to mirrors and egos that wanna get ballsy.

You don't see where forcing vehicles crossing the double yellow and fully in the opposing lane as "Holding up Traffic" ?

They could easily show an ounce of respect and ride single file closer to the right edge of the road --- they're being assholes and inciting others to be assholes in return ---- AKA Road Rage :grumble:

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score

The road I live off of. They do it all the time

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score

Road Rage is road rage.. Someone cuts someone off. Someone driving slow and holding you up. Someone stopping 20' short of a stoplight just to be a dick. Someone not leaving room for cars to turn left, added into whatever else someone has going on in life and whamo you get road rage. Any of those things can be done by the other person in a truck, a car, a van, a motorcycle, a bicycle, a skate board, and on and on..

What I see in that video is road rage / Car vs Bike.

What you replied with

Is also road rage.. the fact that you brought or carried a "mini bat" makes it premeditated road rage as well, because you were expecting it to happen.

As for the cyclists holding up traffic. For the most part I saw it quite a bit in Carlsbad when I lived there. Used to be cyclists would ride on the side of the road. Then they would ride in giant pods, but still on the side of the road. As the city became more congested and they widened the streets and the large areas to the right became smaller, the cyclists would ride in the lanes. Especially when they wanted to turn left. They'd cut across traffic and go to the left hand turn lane and then ride their bike around the corner to the left, holding up all the cars while they did it. Maybe it's just me, but I have always felt they should use the cross walks, across, and then over, then continue on their journey. That's the way it was when I was young, and somewhere along the line that changed to somehow make them riding in lanes ok?

Now you got old guys like the Dean here from generations that it wasn't ok for cyclists to do shit like this, and you can easily see where the frustration and "rage" portion happens.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You don't see where forcing vehicles crossing the double yellow and fully in the opposing lane as "Holding up Traffic" ?

They could easily show an ounce of respect and ride single file closer to the right edge of the road --- they're being assholes and inciting others to be assholes in return ---- AKA Road Rage :grumble:

That's about how I feel about it.

RD

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score

Im sure that specific bend was the only section of the 444 mile long parkway, which has numerous signs that designate a cyclist use a full lane btw, the poor dean had to pass. :rolleyes

installing%20cyclist%20may%20use%20full%20lane%20sign%20_%20ntpa.jpg

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
The road I live off of. They do it all the time

Were not talking about your road, my road, beach blvd, or the yellow brick road here. Were talking about this specific parkway in this situation that happened on this DESIGNATED BIKE ROUTE.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Im sure that specific bend was the only section of the 444 mile long parkway, which has numerous signs that designate a cyclist use a full lane btw, the poor dean had to pass. :rolleyes

installing%20cyclist%20may%20use%20full%20lane%20sign%20_%20ntpa.jpg

Waffles, while I'm sure that might be the scenario on that particular parkway, my posts are speaking in generalities in everyday life. I've never been to that place, or know anything about it. I'm speaking from experiences in San Diego, and OC. I will tell you on many occasions I've had steam coming out of my ears from one of these guys.. I never ran the guy off the road or anything, but I can completely see where this guy is coming from because I sure as fuck wanted too. LOL

RD

spectra3279

Vaginamoney broke
Reaction score
Were not talking about your road, my road, beach blvd, or the yellow brick road here. Were talking about this specific parkway in this situation that happened on this DESIGNATED BIKE ROUTE.
I'm only pointing out that there are assholes who will do it just to fuck with people in cars.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
Waffles, while I'm sure that might be the scenario on that particular parkway, my posts are speaking in generalities in everyday life. I've never been to that place, or know anything about it. I'm speaking from experiences in San Diego, and OC. I will tell you on many occasions I've had steam coming out of my ears from one of these guys.. I never ran the guy off the road or anything, but I can completely see where this guy is coming from because I sure as fuck wanted too. LOL

RD

Like i said in my initial post. Are there people that do this shit because they think theyre entitled fucks that think theyre armstrong? Absolutely. I never said people didnt do this. Im speaking about this particular scenario where people, like yourself, are throwing out personal experiences to justify why the dean did what he did.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Those that have never gotten off their lazy asses will never understand the reasoning behind riding 2 wide.

Exactly! I have been hit by a car in broad daylight while in the bike lane. My namesake (uncle), was ran over and killed by a drunk driver while on his bike. I had a woman come inches from hitting me while running on the sidewalk a few weeks ago. Rather than apologize, she yelled at me as if it was my fault. Lol.

Forget about Nganga's race challenge. I challenge any of the lazy fucks to put on a pair of running shoes or get on a bike and see it from another perspective for once.

Sure, there are few pricks out there that hog lanes for no reason, but I would wager there are guys on RDP who zig-zag inner tubes on the river while preventing traffic from passing on any given weekend. What's the difference? Should impatient boaters be entitled to run over their kid? :D

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
That's the way it was when I was young, and somewhere along the line that changed to somehow make them riding in lanes ok?

Now you got old guys like the Dean here from generations that it wasn't ok for cyclists to do shit like this, and you can easily see where the frustration and "rage" portion happens.

Cyclist have been riding on public roads for as long as my 29 year old ass can remember. I know im still wet behind the ears by rdps standards but im speaking from experience. I practically grew up at jax bicycle center in irvine and knew dave and blake and the rest of the gang personally.

btw theres a huge difference between riding leisurely on a bmx bike or beach cruiser than trying to keep candance on a road bike. Id pay anything to see RD at his prime keep up a 15-20mph pace for long hauls lol

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Cyclist have been riding on public roads for as long as my 29 year old ass can remember. I know im still wet behind the ears by rdps standards but im speaking from experience. I practically grew up at jax bicycle center in irvine and knew dave and blake and the rest of the gang personally.

Last time I checked, bicycles existed before automobiles. :D

CLdrinker

Reaction score
This is hilarious.

Few weeks ago I stated that if a lake lice ever cuts me off and I have the choice of yanking the wheel in a panic and likely tossing out my wife and children or running him over. That I would no doubt run him over. And people lost their minds.

Yet here we are talking about running over people on bikes like it's no big deal.

Gotta be shitting me.

In my situation I'm choosing my families lives over a stranger.

In the other situation. Time is more important than a life.

That's some bullshit.

Taboma

Reaction score

btw theres a huge difference between riding leisurely on a bmx bike or beach cruiser than trying to keep candance on a road bike. Id pay anything to see RD at his prime keep up a 15-20mph pace for long hauls lol

Just for the record ---- I'm closing in on 70 and spent my youth riding bikes, long before it was "In Fashion" --- you know, riding to school in the snow and shit, oh wait I was in Tustin --- no snow :D

I don't condone the Dean's actions nor was I a witness to this particular serious KO (Knock down). But down here in San Diego I run a two lane road to the coast often getting jammed up behind pods, witnessing stupidity as a result of anger, the bike(s) always lose.

My prior comment only refers to Give Respect, Get Respect, this behavior best allows humans to display their better qualities in lieu of their worst.

You couldn't pay me to ride a bike and mix it up with cars in today's environment, in fact I sold my two motorcycles for the same reason.

So good luck out there :thumbsup

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Like i said in my initial post. Are there people that do this shit because they think theyre entitled fucks that think theyre armstrong? Absolutely. I never said people didnt do this. Im speaking about this particular scenario where people, like yourself, are throwing out personal experiences to justify why the dean did what he did.

On some level (if we are being honest) it's kinda nice to see someone do what many of us have wanted too, but didn't.. Realistically that wasn't a high speed deal, and the biker from the video didn't get seriously injured. I wouldn't wish harm on anybody. But I have lived this same scenario (different road of course) and the thought sure as shit crossed my mind, while I was laying on the horn, and they wouldn't move over.

Sure, there are few pricks out there that hog lanes for no reason, but I would wager there are guys on RDP who zig-zag inner tubes on the river while preventing traffic from passing on any given weekend. What's the difference? Should impatient boaters be entitled to run over their kid? :D

Designated lanes / speed limits.. Impeding traffic laws.. Where do you even start? It's a losing and unworthy debate.

Dude you have almost 1600 posts.. The first 1000 were busting my balls. It's a little late in the game to be playing the newbie game. :D I'm quite sure in my youth Waffles I could do a lot of things that would surprise ya.. LOL

This is hilarious.

Few weeks ago I stated that if a lake lice ever cuts me off and I have the choice of yanking the wheel in a panic and likely tossing out my wife and children or running him over. That I would no doubt run him over. And people lost their minds.

Yet here we are talking about running over people on bikes like it's no big deal.

Gotta be shitting me.

In my situation I'm choosing my families lives over a stranger.

In the other situation. Time is more important than a life.

That's some bullshit.

There was more people quietly agreeing with you in that thread then you would think.

Just for the record ---- I'm closing in on 70 and spent my youth riding bikes, long before it was "In Fashion" --- you know, riding to school in the snow and shit, oh wait I was in Tustin --- no snow :D

I don't condone the Dean's actions nor was I a witness to this particular serious KO (Knock down). But down here in San Diego I run a two lane road to the coast often getting jammed up behind pods, witnessing stupidity as a result of anger, the bike(s) always lose.

My prior comment only refers to Give Respect, Get Respect, this behavior best allows humans to display their better qualities in lieu of their worst.

You couldn't pay me to ride a bike and mix it up with cars in today's environment, in fact I sold my two motorcycles for the same reason.

So good luck out there :thumbsup

Well said.. That's like the fifth time I have agreed with Taboma.. Another member notorious for busting my balls for no reason. :D Hell is getting ready to freeze over, the bicycles better be careful because the cars are gonna be slipping and sliding all over AZ!

RD

Taboma

Reaction score
"Well said.. That's like the fifth time I have agreed with Taboma.. Another member notorious for busting my balls for no reason. Hell is getting ready to freeze over, the bicycles better be careful because the cars are gonna be slipping and sliding all over AZ!

RD"

The new meds, they're mo better :D

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the place or the road. But why make it 50 mph speed limit and plan on heavy bike usage? Sounds like this is he end result.

It's a National Park and the road is not intended as a typical highway. I'm sure the 50 mph was set with thought. It's well known that bicycles will be on the road and the Park folks expect everyone to get along.

I drove the MS section from Natchez up into TN on a sunny spring day during a business trip. I had time to kill and it was a great day to putt along with the windows down. There is a parallel state highway that handles the regular and commercial traffic.

I posted a couple pages back the actual biking rules and it openly states that riding 2 side by side is allowed, but it is discouraged for safety reasons. They prefer single file riding.

Though I'm unsure and don't recall exactly, the road has double yellow lines with regular passing zones in case traffic backs up. This is basically a paved trail without businesses or residences. It's a historic intrastate trade route from our past. It's there to enjoy and not get in a hurry.

Bottom line in my interpretation of the accident is the Dean is a piss poor driver and just failed to safely pass and share the road. He should be punished. And a rider with common sense concern for his personal safety should be aware of vehicular traffic and treat it as a potential threat due to idiots like the Dean.

Anyone who gets all freaked out and subject to road rage should not enter the Natchez Trace on any kind of vehicle because it is not the place for anger and self centered stupidity. It's way too laid back and peaceful. Driving it, I felt like I'd escaped the hustle and bustle of the outside world. I saw very few other vehicles that day and all were just enjoying the cruise like it should be.;)

HitIt

Reaction score
I have been hit by a car in broad daylight while in the bike lane. My namesake (uncle), was ran over and killed by a drunk driver while on his bike. I had a woman come inches from hitting me...

Do you expect to get hit again? Sounds like you should. Probably a pretty good chance you will get really messed up, too.

There are so many awesome ways to get excersize that don't involve riding in your underwear next to 5000 pound cars going 50+mph, it amazes me that so many people make the decision to risk their lives riding on the street. Why would you want to put your life in someone else's hands?

Do you think kayaking down the Parker strip on a holiday weekend is a good idea? If no, why not?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Riding two abreast, in circumstances like these where there is no relief or shoulder, forces the driver to slow down and make a safe wide pass like the f150 did. Not only that, but its technically faster to pass a group riding two abreast than it is passing a single file. Think of it like passing another slow moving vehicle. Youre only going to pass when its safe to do so right? Not when riding single file. One of two things will happen whenever people come up on a group riding single file. Theyll either creep by passing as slow as possible to avoid any contact or theyll blow by not giving a fuck. I cant count how many times ive ridden single file and have had idiots blow by me.

Btw the Natchez Trace Parkway is a designated bike route. This isnt just some "single lane street" that people use as a means to commute to and from work like lets say beach blvd.
That is the biggest bullshit reason I habe ever heard for That! Specially on a 2 lane road with ANY limited sight turns. 2 wide basically protects the inside rider ONLY and makes the outter rider a softer bumper. It's MUCH easier and safer for a vehicle to make a SLIGHT emergency maneuver vs an emergency lane change.

Your reasoning in this post is the EXACT thought process that boils most all drivers' blood.

Waffles

Banned
Reaction score
That is the biggest bullshit reason I habe ever heard for That! Specially on a 2 lane road with ANY limited sight turns. 2 wide basically protects the inside rider ONLY and makes the outter rider a softer bumper. It's MUCH easier and safer for a vehicle to make a SLIGHT emergency maneuver vs an emergency lane change.

Your reasoning in this post is the EXACT thought process that boils most all drivers' blood.
LOL ok champ