WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cost of water heater replacement

Gramps

Older Member
Reaction score
Just got 2 quotes to replace a water heater in Eastvale. 75 gallon Bradford White (gas) with VERY easy access. First quote $4900+ Second quote.........almost $10,000 WTF!!!!!!!!!!

Your ad here

Reaction score
Just had a 50 gallon electric replaced, 2 hose bibs, and a new main valve for the house for $1000 and they hauled off the old water heater. We're buddies though and I was budgeting $1600 so I threw an extra $150 in the envelope. Phoenix area.

Mr. C

going back in time
Reaction score
Just got 2 quotes to replace a water heater in Eastvale. 75 gallon Bradford White (gas) with VERY easy access. First quote $4900+ Second quote.........almost $10,000 WTF!!!!!!!!!!
😱 my mom just had a 50 gal gas replaced 2300
LA area.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I'm all to familiar with this..... Just did this about the same time last year...

$8,700 to replace a tankless.

fishing fool

Reaction score
Earlier this year my water heater went out. Called home warranty company. Plumber came out, $1,500 was my cost above the warranty paying out. I had warranty company pay me out and I installed my out of pock was just over $100. Warranty gets a better deal on the water heater then I did.

So what I am getting at I would not be suprised of a $5, 000 quote.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Get all new braided SS lines too

Attachments

• IMG_3665.jpeg
    IMG_3665.jpeg
    365.7 KB · Views: 83

JayBreww

Reaction score
He’s out of Riverside.

Attachments

• IMG_5803.png
    IMG_5803.png
    999.5 KB · Views: 105

AZLineman

Adjusting to retired life
Reaction score
I did mine a year ago 50 gallon electric $520 out the door at Home Depot on sale which was the best price anywhere in my area and 30 mins of work. They are easy AF to replace (well most) open the breakerand/or shut the gas off easy peasy.

Ultra...Good

Reaction score
if you do yore-self, I mean the water heater yoreself, make sure to get identical replacement in regards to dimensions. if the water and gas lines are in same place, at same height, replacement CAN be very easy. electric lines are usually flexible and, or easy to change. usually.

The Prisoner

Well-Known RDP Prisoner Inmate #283
Reaction score
Long story short. I took out my water heater myself. Was concerned about the drain hook up as it was different. Called Ben Franklin. Wanted $60O to just hook up. I told the guy to leave and how could he say that with a straight face. The new heater was already there. 😡

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
100+ employee plumbing contractor here.

Service companies have become nearly predatory! I’m all for making $ but to hear what some companies are charging is insane. WH replacements are some of the easiest service calls done and come with great margins.

DWC

Reaction score
$1,200 to $1,400 for the water heater. It’s a pain in the ass but not that hard to replace.

IMG_1832.jpeg

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
$1,200 to $1,400 for the water heater. It’s a pain in the ass but not that hard to replace.

View attachment 1306402

This. If access is easy this should not be more than a $2500 job, and that is paying the company $200/hour.

But of course none of us know what it takes to run a profitable service business. It costs $3k just to get the truck to your house. 😂

JayBreww

Reaction score
This. If access is easy this should not be more than a $2500 job, and that is paying the company $200/hour.

But of course none of us know what it takes to run a profitable service business. It costs $3k just to get the truck to your house. 😂
6 hours of labor?

Riverbottom

Reaction score
Fortunately, my small vacation house has a 30 gallon gas heater. Went to Home Depot $ 600.00 and about 45 minutes labor and it was installed. Glad I didn't call a plumber.

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
So..... Here comes the rental horror story.

A renter decided to sell tacos and tamales from the garage. Both the health department and city code enforcement showed up. That sucked but the horror story is code enforcment asked to check the house and the tenant just showed them everything.

DIY water heater, washer & dryer hook up, heater and air conditioner, windows, and even garbage disposal. I didn't even know a permit was needed for a garbage disposal. That $10,000 quote looks cheap after the time, $$$$, and hassle.

If the $4,900 includes permits, haul away, and a labor warranty it sounds like a steal.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
75 gallon water heater? I think ours is 40 gallons and plenty of hot water.
If you're in the shower for more than 5 minutes you're playing with yourself. :p

Years ago our heater went out in vegas. Got a couple quotes for about $1200
They said it included permit. What?
I went to Lowes and got a heater for $600 and was done in about an hour
I don't need no stinkin permit lol

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
So..... Here comes the rental horror story.

A renter decided to sell tacos and tamales from the garage. Both the health department and city code enforcement showed up. That sucked but the horror story is code enforcment asked to check the house and the tenant just showed them everything.

DIY water heater, washer & dryer hook up, heater and air conditioner, windows, and even garbage disposal. I didn't even know a permit was needed for a garbage disposal. That $10,000 quote looks cheap after the time, $$$$, and hassle.

If the $4,900 includes permits, haul away, and a labor warranty it sounds like a steal.

I see your point but that is conflating 2 different problems - keeping tabs on a renter vs. replacing a water heater.

$4900 is a steal from the customer to R&R a water heater.

dribble

Reaction score
My 58 year old girlfriend replaced the gas water heater in her house herself for $700.00. She also added a trap that is now required by code. I asked if she wanted my help and she declined. Said it's not brain surgery. All you need is someone to help you lift the old one out and set the new one in. The rest a piece of cake. The numbers you are being quoted are ridiculous.

Bobby V

Havasu1986
Reaction score
My 58 year old girlfriend replaced the gas water heater in her house herself for $700.00. She also added a trap that is now required by code. I asked if she wanted my help and she declined. Said it's not brain surgery. All you need is someone to help you lift the old one out and set the new one in. The rest a piece of cake. The numbers you are being quoted are ridiculous.
What did she do with the old water heater. ? 🤷

Sharky

Reaction score
75 Gallon is friggin HUGE!!! That's as big as commercial building/school use. Most residential housing in the US are 40-50 gallon.

I get preferred contractor pricing from Ferguson. We buy a lot of stuff from them. They are selling replacement gas WH kits for $$750. It is a 50G , Bradford White.

I actually bought 2 of them. Replaced the existing WH that was shot and the other one went in the basement for the future so when they ban gas appliances, I have a spare. Wish I had the room to hook them up in series.

If you really need 75 gallon, that's closer to $1000+.

If it was me, I would look into 2 (two) 40 gallon. Place them side by side. If you have the space & venting. Set the first water heater to 80 degrees. Feed it to the second water heater set to 120.

You will have an unlimited supply of hot water and waaaaaaay more efficient. Its cheaper and more efficient to heat water only a few degrees (50-80 and then 80-120) rather than heating 50 degree water to 120

NicPaus

Reaction score
If you were in the Southbay a fair price for a 75 is $3650 and I could send someone to do it.

Average 40-50 gallon is $2200. For my regular customers $1850.

Don't buy a Rheem they are junk. Home Depot water heaters are specd for them and trash. Supply house Bradford white. Or if you have to a AO from Contractors Warehouse if supply house closed.

I have 40k in my Plumbing van not including cost of van. That's just for kitchen and bathroom remodels. Nor set up for service. Out here at the River with my buddy and might be buying his Plumbing company when he moves out of state and expanding my business to full service Plumbing soon.

The Prisoner

Reaction score
75 gallon water heater? I think ours is 40 gallons and plenty of hot water.
If you're in the shower for more than 5 minutes you're playing with yourself. :p

Years ago our heater went out in vegas. Got a couple quotes for about $1200
They said it included permit. What?
I went to Lowes and got a heater for $600 and was done in about an hour
I don't need no stinkin permit lol
Im with you. Screw permits. I dropped a gigantic Tuff Shed in my backyard. Let them remove it 😀

boatpi

Reaction score
I paid $1,200 for a 50 gallon install in one of my rentals a couple months ago in North Las Vegas.

he’s a licensed handyman so he can do that but that includes new stainless waterlines pan earthquake strap the whole thing replaced done, right. Six year warranty..

The Prisoner

Reaction score
For a goof I was reading California requirements. Am I reading correctly you also have to have an expansion tank? Even if the tank comes with a pressure valve which they all do to my knowledge?

Orange Juice

Reaction score
I did it myself last time. But maybe these guys are cheaper.?

I did mine 20 years ago. It’s still working fine.

I’m sure you can fine someone to help you put it for $250, and clean the mess up.

Sherpa

Reaction score
I do my own residential work for family friends etc.

I also do commercial for my job. Commercial rated units are about 4-5 X cost above residential use. Something to ponder. Bonding, garage installs, drain pans with lines, add ball shutoff valves, always replace flex lines and gas line if gas.

Not rocket science..

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
Our water heater is in a rudimentary basement (house built in the 1880's) and sits on the ground. We had to pump out 40 gallons 3 gallons at a time. Carry buckets upstairs to dump. Repeat. Then we had to convince the skunk to leave for a few hours, so we could lay on a carpet of rat/mouse shit, because the water heater keeps em warm apparently. Bought an AO Smith for around $750 and got it installed with only two additional runs back to Lowes.

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
If you were in the Southbay a fair price for a 75 is $3650 and I could send someone to do it.

Average 40-50 gallon is $2200. For my regular customers $1850.

Don't buy a Rheem they are junk. Home Depot water heaters are specd for them and trash. Supply house Bradford white. Or if you have to a AO from Contractors Warehouse if supply house closed.

I have 40k in my Plumbing van not including cost of van. That's just for kitchen and bathroom remodels. Nor set up for service. Out here at the River with my buddy and might be buying his Plumbing company when he moves out of state and expanding my business to full service Plumbing soon.
Throw me some side gigs...I got Corona covered for you. 🤣🤣