WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Cost of water heater replacement

C-2

Reaction score
I think we appreciate most of us are capable DIY types, which is fine for an install on your own stuff.

But when tasked with helping a relative replace a water heater, you are kind of in a precarious position. If you install it yourself and something goes wrong; you're an idiot for doing it yourself instead of hiring a professional. If you hire an unlicensed guy and something goes wrong; you're an idiot for hiring an unlicensed guy.

Thus, you hire a licensed plumber to do it.

In that instance in SoCal, we recently paid $3500, and that was a hookup, with a partial credit on the heater itself since it was still under warranty.

But that didn't work for me either because now my family thinks I'm an idiot for paying too much. 😩 They even tried to get other quotes to bust my balls further, but no company would give them a quote over the phone, lol

Bajastu

Reaction score
Are the backflow devices being installed on the line to your house ? If that's the case, then hopefully it's not your responsibility for testing.
Damn, around my hood we'd kill for that high of water pressure, sure make landscape watering easier. If they install individual backflow preventors, you're going to lose a couple of PSI, but you probably won't notice a difference. But when you've only got 35-40 like some of my neighbors, dropping another 4-5 psi sucks.
I've read that folks install expansion tanks to mitigate water hammer, especially on a closed system. I'd always assumed they'd both be tapped from the cold water side prior to any check valves or other restriction devices and would serve dual purpose.
Backflow valves are installed after the meter. All appurtenances installed after the meter are the responsibility of the homeowner. Most rural houses have them and in CA they must be inspected each year by a certified company to be compliant with the water agency. I've owned two houses with them, and I was very familiar with the process. It’s just a cross contamination prevention system especially if you have a house on elevation which will increate the PSI and can back feed the system.

Last edited:

Taboma

Reaction score
Backflow valves are installed after the meter. All appurtenances installed after the meter are the responsibility of the homeowner. Most rural houses have them and in CA they must be inspected each year by a certified company to be compliant with the water agency. I've owned two houses with them, and I was very familiar with the process. It’s just a cross contamination prevention system especially if you have a house on elevation which will create more PSI and can back feed the system.
Our district only requires them on homes with interior fire sprinklers, which were required by the new code. The older homes around me do not have BF preventers.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
We changed out my kid's yesterday. Was going to be an easy install until we found the base box had rotted and we were concerned about the load. Then we got a small leak out of the T for the expansion tank. 5 hour job. At least he picked one up in AZ and saved $100 over CA.

Lumpy

Reaction score
Just got 2 quotes to replace a water heater in Eastvale. 75 gallon Bradford White (gas) with VERY easy access. First quote $4900+ Second quote.........almost $10,000 WTF!!!!!!!!!!
75 Gallon 😆 It’s a very easy swap. I would have told the first and second to go pound sand!😆 Super easy.