WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Complete Tool Box?

DUNEFLYER

The original DUNEFLYER of RDP 😁
Reaction score
If you were looking to purchase a rolling/stand up tool box full of tools complete with the foam inserts ect..
Where do you start looking? Snap On, Boxo,???
Just wrenching on my own shit in the garage. Boat, cars, razor ect..

renodaytona

Reaction score
Been contemplating this myself. Waiting till we pull the trigger on a new house to see what room I have and what I really want. The Boxo stuff is great, the new Gearwrench set ups are really sweet.

DLC

Reaction score
Boxo is nice but pricy
IMG_0583.jpeg
IMG_0584.jpeg

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Harbor Frieght. Tool box and tools. Couple thousand can go a long way.
I have HF roll cabs and ton of "tool truck" crap inside. I agree though, the HF stuff has come a long way. If not an everyday or specialty tool, can probably do most things.

Those Boxo sets look really nice though. The only problem with those is mobility. I'll pull my standard socket rack out of the drawer and put in the service cart, stuff like that.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
but how do you replace just one?

That is the biggest problem with most "sets", you lose / break ONE tool, how do you replace it?

So I end up with brand X from Amazon to replace the missing / broken tool, because you can't buy "ONE" .

Things we miss about Sears / Craftsman, besides the popcorn.

Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’d go boxo.. for like 10k you get a legit roll away that is stacked. (That was a few years ago it might be more now)

Compared to snap on etc? That wouldn’t even be one drawer

johnnyC

Reaction score
dont go with snap-on unless your a professional wrench, they are stupid expensive and the tool boxes ... holy shit they are not the tool they once were when i started out in the early seventys as a apprentice truck mechanic i tried different brands.... craftsman, proto, challenger and others they didnt have the selection that snap-on had... but they are not the same tool as they are now, in the late seventys or early 80's they became clunky the socket walls became thicker and the body of the wrench became heaver compare the old style logo wrenches to the new style logo and you will see the differences. for home use the secondary brands are plenty good you wont have to get a loan to replace a tool lost, i replace my snap on that get lost with whatever now

Your ad here

Reaction score
If you don't mind spending the money get a Snap-on box and tool combo set. You can buy them separately. Pick the box that works for you and pick the tool set that has what you're after. Whatever you get, make sure it has a USA roll mark.

Your ad here

Reaction score
Just go buy a big craftset and live hsppever after. My craftsman has been good for 60 years and you can get replacement at a lot places now. I still have some of mine since 15 years old and never broken
60 years ago they had USA roll marks on them and a slim profile. New Craftsman doesn't have a USA roll mark and the wrenches have a huge fat profile and don't fit in tight places.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
If you were looking to purchase a rolling/stand up tool box full of tools complete with the foam inserts ect..
Where do you start looking? Snap On, Boxo,???
Just wrenching on my own shit in the garage. Boat, cars, razor ect..
I would not do that at all. You will waste money and end up with 80% of the shit in the box that you never use
Gear wrench is garbage…that’s why it’s cheap.

What do you have now?

Last edited:

oldman

Reaction score
20230111_115044.jpg

HF ICON FTW!!!!

I shopped for a year, they blow away any other box for the price, the bottom drawer will holl my 240lb ass and still rollin, and empty does not tip the box over,

It's a quality box,

All in 12K 5% discount, 10% discount for putting it on an HF CC I paid off in three weeks.

Also I had a ton of tools to fill it with.

Tank

Reaction score
Surprised it hasn’t been mentioned but I like husky. I was in Home Depot today and they had some
SICK husky boxes. Power, charger
Station, soft close drawers, powder coated etc. bad ass. And I have a bunch of husky tools. Never an issue.

DUNEFLYER

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.
Suppose I should have mentioned some sort of a budget. I am not the 10-15k kinda tool guy.
I was thinking more the 3-4k kinda set.

JLG614

Signature Garage Design / Epoxy Flooring
Reaction score
Another vote for boxo. We have a bunch of their bags and small carry boxes. We also have one pit cart fully loaded with a bunch of tools. By far my favorite brand. Yes, snap on is amazing but I’m not doing it for a living and spending double or triple on that. You can also buy individual tools from boxo so if you lose a socket or wrench you can just buy the one you lost and not a whole set. They have really good deals on holidays, I’m sure they’ll have one this weekend. You can get a box and a good amount of tools from boxo with your budget

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
Do you have any tools now? Do you have any know-how to work on things or is this a “I’ve never used a screwdriver but want to be a mechanic tomorrow” kinda deal?

I ask for a couple reasons.

I worked professionally as a mechanic for years, and have a big ass snap on box that’s stuffed full of thousands of dollars worth of tools. When I need to do most anything in my garage/driveway these days, I grab my little carry around 3 drawer craftsman tool chest containing the basics. It’s the box I throw in the truck on trips, it’s the box I bring to the river, it’s full of rusty tools that get the job done.

95% of what the home gamer does requires not much more than a very basic tool set…I’ve started leaving the above mentions little box at home in factor of a $99 Crescent tool kit in a blow mold case from Costco…along with whatever specialty shit I might need in a small toolbag.

Even at home, 99% of what I do uses tools from the travel kit.

Unless you feel like wasting a bunch of money, don’t get to elaborate with it. It won’t fix anything better or make you more proficient than a basic kit of halfway decent quality that you add to as necessary

Last edited:

DirtyWhiteDog

Reaction score
On the cheap. Buy the biggest individual socket, wrench, screw driver etc sets from HF, Lowe's, HD or other in the plastic cases. Depending, you can find good drawer sets. Buy a HF rolling tool box and cut apart the tool sets and put the pieces into the drawers. Instant organized tool drawers. Follow me for more tips.

DUNEFLYER

Reaction score
Do you have any tools now? Do you have any know-how to work on things or is this a “I’ve never used a screwdriver but want to be a mechanic tomorrow” kinda deal?
I have a bunch of unorganized tools, looking for a nice set with foam inserts to finally have an organized tool box.
I am not a mechanic, but I do wrench on all my own stuff. Buggy, razor, Boat, Moho, vehicles ect...

H20 Toie

Party on Garth
Reaction score
For that kind of budget do like i did, used Snap-on tool box, biggest socket set you can find. i did craftsman. milwaukee, etc, order foam from uline and start cutting foam, actually kind of fun after awhile since you can setup the drawers they way you want.
1724738746603.jpeg

1724738784525.jpeg

1724738805340.jpeg

Backlash

Reaction score
I've had fun building up my miniature tool collection from a simple 100 piece Craftsman USA kit. I've scoured eBay and Craigslist over the years and put together a decent collection that satisfies majority of my needs. I've managed to fit all my hand tools into the big stainless tool box they used to sell at Costco and it's worked out well.

Here are a few drawers worth.

PXL_20221205_214207787.jpg

JFMFG

Reaction score
I’d go boxo.. for like 10k you get a legit roll away that is stacked. (That was a few years ago it might be more now)

I get coupons texted to me daily from boxo. I think he could prob call them and get a decent deal vs ordering online?

pwerwagn

Inmate #4800
Reaction score
Surprised it hasn’t been mentioned but I like husky. I was in Home Depot today and they had some
SICK husky boxes. Power, charger
Station, soft close drawers, powder coated etc. bad ass. And I have a bunch of husky tools. Never an issue.

Same. All I buy is husky tools and I dont have any issues with them except their screwdrivers suck. Sockets, wrenches, etc all work just fine. They have some killer sets cheap on black friday too.

Badchoices03

Reaction score

Every thread on RDP makes me feel poor.....lol....I work on all my own shit as well, cars, trucks, boats, sxs, dirtbikes, etc...I probably have at the most $2k worth of hand tools that I have pieced together....I see $10k and $12k being thrown out as entry level....wow...

FreeBird236

Reaction score
No the ICON tools were designed by guys from snap on and have the same feel and quality with a lifetime warranty and pricing is good
The first time I really started thinking about Icon was when I saw the video test between the $300 Snap-on torque wrench and the $100 ICON, the ICON tested more accurate, and a couple of internal pins looked beefier in the ICON.

Tank

Reaction score
I never really used or even held a snap on ratchet until
I borrowed one from
AJ recently. I just gotta say…HOLY SHIT! I almost think the price is worth it. The feel in your hand is instant “dayum!” And the click on the ratchet is so solid and smooth reminds me of some type of race bearings or some shit. Mother fucker was heavy as shit too. There’s zero doubt snap on is a way superior product. Like I said, I see why they’re so much.

With that said, I’m not a professional mechanic. So, husky, craftsman some HF crap is good for me. Lol

bonesfab

Reaction score
I never really used or even held a snap on ratchet until
I borrowed one from
AJ recently. I just gotta say…HOLY SHIT! I almost think the price is worth it. The feel in your hand is instant “dayum!” And the click on the ratchet is so solid and smooth reminds me of some type of race bearings or some shit. Mother fucker was heavy as shit too. There’s zero doubt snap on is a way superior product. Like I said, I see why they’re so much.

With that said, I’m not a professional mechanic. So, husky, craftsman some HF crap is good for me. Lol
There is not much better than a Snap on ratchet. The feel and the fine tooth count. And yes I started with the Kmart 40 pc socket set.