WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Complete Tool Box?

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
For hone use, this is the way I'd go in spite of all the ballers and "all-or-nothing" guys here. For my starting point anyways.

Then just grab various tools sets as needed or desired. I'd suggest avoiding the Pittsburgh brand if you can. The ICON stuff is great as stated here, but the Quinn stuff us pretty solid also.

You could stock your garage with a pretty complete set of decent tools for $5k.

For the home guy, I don't think the Icon storage boxes are worth it. The US General boxes are fantastic.

TimeBandit

Reaction score
All this talk of tools. I recently decided I "needed" a SAE 8-point socket set. I came across Williams Tools. really nice quality, made in USA. Been around since 1880's.
Williams is snap-on's industrial sales line. They bought the company in 1993.
some of the tools are identical just marked Williams. the last time I bought a Williams 10 mm off Amazon it said China on it though.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
All this talk of tools. I recently decided I "needed" a SAE 8-point socket set. I came across Williams Tools. really nice quality, made in USA. Been around since 1880's.
I have some "Williams" sockets. Some were hand-me-downs, and a few I've bought as needed. They are all 1" +, and also all ³/⁴ or 1" drive. Never broken one, which is pretty impressive with the breaker bar, fence post and fat-ass jumping on it :oops:

Another option for the OP: Mac, SnapOn and Matco all have mechanics "starter packs". They have them both in top shelf and secondary lines, and they offer them at good prices to trade school students. Some of them get listed for sale as the new techs don't want to be seen with "training wheels", and some people end up deciding they don't want to wrench for a living. They come up for sale in bigger cities fairly often. When I was starting out, a couple grand for a tool purchase was a ton. Now, I would see those as more "entry level". The more you do, the more weird specialty stuff you end up with. Most of the special tools make things easier, but a few make an impossible job doable.

ltbaney1

Reaction score
I never really used or even held a snap on ratchet until
I borrowed one from
AJ recently. I just gotta say…HOLY SHIT! I almost think the price is worth it. The feel in your hand is instant “dayum!” And the click on the ratchet is so solid and smooth reminds me of some type of race bearings or some shit. Mother fucker was heavy as shit too. There’s zero doubt snap on is a way superior product. Like I said, I see why they’re so much.

With that said, I’m not a professional mechanic. So, husky, craftsman some HF crap is good for me. Lol
my 3 go to ratchets are snap on 1/4, and 2 different length 3/8. my sockets are mix of craftsman, second hand snap on or HF. the ratchet makes the difference for me.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
If you have cash, watch OfferUp, CL, etc, and buy Snap on, Matco, and other pro tools for Pennies on the dollar.

I have several sets of tools. I started building a craftsman set 30 years ago in High School, and still have it as my secondary/ truck/ loaner set. I worked as a mechanic for several years after that and built a decent Snap-on set back when they were still American made, and I probably spent 50k+ on the truck between 2000-2005.

I have plenty of HF stuff too, and keep a set of Pittsburgh tools in the RZR, stuff that I don’t care if it gets lost or stolen. HF is also great for stuff that you rarely use or really big stuff that is $$$$ anywhere else.

I agree with the Husky comments, they make some nice stuff that goes on major sale a few times a year. They also offer single sockets in case you lose one and need to replace it.

IMO, Everyone who wrenches frequently (even as a hobby) should have some nice tools for the things they use most often like ratchets, 1/4 and 3/8 metric sockets, metric combo wrench sets, screwdrivers, pliers, and torx/ hex bits. The difference in quality is worth the price on stuff you use a lot- not to mention time saved on stripped fasteners, etc.

Badchoices03

Reaction score
For hone use, this is the way I'd go in spite of all the ballers and "all-or-nothing" guys here. For my starting point anyways.

Then just grab various tools sets as needed or desired. I'd suggest avoiding the Pittsburgh brand if you can. The ICON stuff is great as stated here, but the Quinn stuff us pretty solid also.

You could stock your garage with a pretty complete set of decent tools for $5k.

For the home guy, I don't think the Icon storage boxes are worth it. The US General boxes are fantastic.

Thats a perfect set-up....all thats listed is about $1400...add in another $1000 on some specialty/random stuff....and you have a great home set for $2500, way under $5k...obviously we are just talking hand tools....not power or precision tools...

Flying_Lavey

Dreaming of the lake
Reaction score
Thats a perfect set-up....all thats listed is about $1400...add in another $1000 on some specialty/random stuff....and you have a great home set for $2500, way under $5k...obviously we are just talking hand tools....not power or precision tools...
Exactly. I have a couple sets of the Quinn sockets and they have been great. Seem to be well made, nice finish, color code between metric and SAE, and I haven't noticed any size skipping.

The nice thing about going this way is this gives you the basics that are needed in just about all sets, but there is PLENTY of money in the budget to customize the box for what you really need and that changes from person to person.

For example if you are only wrenching on modern vehicles, there isnt much need for SAE tools to the extent that there is for Metric (obviously still a need for them). This would allow to expand the metric side more so than the SAE side or vice versa.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.
Suppose I should have mentioned some sort of a budget. I am not the 10-15k kinda tool guy.
I was thinking more the 3-4k kinda set.

I believe we had this talk about a SXS once.. you ended up buying the expensive one. Lol

JFMFG

Reaction score
Posting pictures of your brother in laws box now? 😂 you don't wrench bro, don't lie to these people lol
It was. it is mine now bought it from senior a year ago 😂😂😂. Call your cousin to verify 😂😂

DLC

Reaction score
I just went thru this for the Hava house…
I wanted full sets w/ out any skips

I bought Olsa sockets
1/4, 3/8 & 1/2 chrome - m & SAE short & deep, also got their 1/2 impacts short & deep

I also bought Milwaukee ratchet wrench & flex wrench both M & SAE

I have a lot of other wrenches - gear wrench, Husky, crescent, Kobalt and Craftsman from my dad and growing up

I bought Hansen 3 row socket racks from Depot online and also got a couple from Olsa - the Olsa 3 row rack fit the impact sockets

Ernst wrench racks are the bomb! Just buy few extras

IMG_0592.jpeg

TimeBandit

Reaction score
Some good harbor freight coupons today on Quinn tools including a big set for $319.

Bobby_329

Reaction score
I have the husky box from Home Depot and 500 piece craftsman set. Its not as nice as snap on but wrenching is not my profession it does the job and costs way less. I just bought my dad the 498 piece gear wrench set for his retirement and I think I like it more than my Craftsman stuff the ratchets are definitely nicer.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
This has been a handy set for a lot of crap over the years. This is the "modern" version of the sets I've had for 25 years. Simple briefcase deal, I keep one in the small enclosed trailer, and one at the river pad. A basic set like this can do most normal stuff.
Screenshot_20240828-084005_DuckDuckGo.jpg

A couple of the younger guys I knew, I set up with sets like this, in a two drawer service cart. They were wedding gifts really, for construction dorks starting out.

counterpart7

Reaction score
HF box(US general) and a mix of HF, gearwrench, and snap-on. The Icon line of tools is hard to beat from HF.

Boxo is nice if thats all you’re going to own. Seems like a pita to add to/swap things out. If you dont love some of their tools and want to swap say a ratchet, where does it go in the foam tray?

counterpart7

Reaction score
Some good harbor freight coupons today on Quinn tools including a big set for $319.

I have this Quinn set at home. Covers 90% of the shit I do. Ratchets are meh but add a couple of GW, snap-on or Icon ratchets and you’re set.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
this Quinn add came out for today only. seems like a good deal to start.

thetub

Reaction score

thetub

Reaction score
I like Wright tools also made in USA seem very good quality and cheaper priced than Snapon and Matco stuff...

believe Wright makes for US military etc..

DRYHEAT

Reaction score

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I never really used or even held a snap on ratchet until
I borrowed one from
AJ recently. I just gotta say…HOLY SHIT! I almost think the price is worth it. The feel in your hand is instant “dayum!” And the click on the ratchet is so solid and smooth reminds me of some type of race bearings or some shit. Mother fucker was heavy as shit too. There’s zero doubt snap on is a way superior product. Like I said, I see why they’re so much.

With that said, I’m not a professional mechanic. So, husky, craftsman some HF crap is good for me. Lol

They really do feel better.

IMG_1978.jpeg

IMG_1977.jpeg

DLC

Reaction score
I have a few tool box’s
This is my new series 3 HF box
IMG_8876.jpeg
IMG_8877.jpeg
IMG_8879.jpeg
IMG_8880.jpeg
IMG_8881.jpeg