WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Car dealer/sales people weigh in…

Roosky01

Reaction score
Look at what's holding value in 3 years. Then lease.
Tacoma, numerous bmw, f150,
There are deals out there, just need to be flexible
Does leasing ever make sense outside of a business use?

I've never leased before and have no idea....?

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
Does leasing ever make sense outside of a business use?

I've never leased before and have no idea....?
Sometimes it the cheapest way to own a new car other than paying cash, some manufactures throw the majority of their incentive towards leasing. Honda is one that pushes leasing pretty hard.

elco

Reaction score
I just bought a 3.0 Chevy diesel as my daily driver. It has all kinds of shit that adds to the cost I have no interest in. Truck won’t let you shift unless the seat belt is engaged. Auto stop at every red light. How much are those accessories adding to your cost and nobody wants them?
FYI, you can shut off the seat belt shift thing in the settings if preferred. Had the same in my canyon.

badgas

Reaction score
I'm 55 and have been on commission only since I was 27.

Just remember what people/Businesses are "asking" is not the sell price.

Don't just look at the window sticker that says " availability surcharge " and go home crying. They have 1,800 other trucks hidden in overflow lots all over the city.

Sit down and negotiate !

Stay there and engage them. Show them pic of your 3 other trucks and your boat . Tell them about your river house, They will know you have money and can buy. Most consumers get it wrong they think " oh I don't want the sales person to know I have money because then they won't give me a deal" It is the complete opposite. When a salesman knows that his prospect has money they stay with the deal.

Broke tire kickers are not getting the attention or the deal.

zhandfull

Reaction score

Don't just look at the window sticker that says " availability surcharge " and go home crying. They have 1,800 other trucks hidden in overflow lots all over the city.

Sit down and negotiate !

Stay there and engage them. Show them pic of your 3 other trucks and your boat . Tell them about your river house, They will know you have money and can buy. Most consumers get it wrong they think " oh I don't want the sales person to know I have money because then they won't give me a deal" It is the complete opposite. When a salesman knows that his prospect has money they stay with the deal.

Lol
Sit down and negotiate with a salesman and his invisible boss in the back room.
I thought only broke dick tire kickers did that.

First thing any self respecting salesman does is get your contact information. I always give them exactly one shot with numbers before walking out. The deal can be made over phone or text at that point. Meanwhile I’m off to the next dealer or home.

PlumLoco

Vintage Jawa CZ motorcycles
Reaction score
I just went through this 3 weeks ago. Coming back from Parker I knew something was wrong with my 2018 Silverado LT. Had 122,000 miles on it, with 6 payments left. Bought it brand new. Long story short, transmission was shot, around 7k to fix. Didn't want to put 7k into something I was probably going to sell in a few years.

I didn't want to buy a new truck, same as everyone, prices are super high. But wife and I decided to get rid of it (Thanks Car Max). I need something dependable for a number of reasons.

Ended up with 2024 Silverado LTZ. Nicest truck I've ever owned. Most expensive also.

Sticker was 60K, Rydell in Northridge took $4,000 off sticker, plus another $500 because I work in healthcare. They also took off the low jack and ceramic coating.

I looked around at the time and they were the best price for the LTZ. Could have went with a cheaper model, but only save $3,000.

I also like that I got 2.9% interest. Looked at used trucks but they were also expensive, and because it was used interest would be around 6%

Here she is. View attachment 1370384
You bought a new Chevy that shit the bed at 122K miles. Not even paid off yet.
And then you willingly and happily bought another? My first GM in 1997 was my last. I have owned four Dodge Rams (1977, 1979, 1997, 2007). Every one has gone over 220,000 mi on original transmissions and engines.

76sanger

Reaction score
I don’t know how people can afford new cars and the payments that come with them.

Many people I know have more car debt than I have house debt. The thought of that gives me anxiety.

Our junk is paid for and we won’t buy anything again until we can pay cash.
100% true! My question is "why" do people want to pay the prices? Is it a status issue? What ever it is, its whacked!

badgas

Reaction score
Lol
Sit down and negotiate with a salesman and his invisible boss in the back room.
I thought only broke dick tire kickers did that.

First thing any self respecting salesman does is get your contact information. I always give them exactly one shot with numbers before walking out. The deal can be made over phone or text at that point. Meanwhile I’m off to the next dealer or home.
Start online first with fleet manager. Don't end top with some lot guy with bad cologne that just got hired yesterday.

Forget the covid era where used cars went up in value and they had no inventory, that was an anomaly.

Everything is negotiable !!

JDKRXW

Reaction score

Sit down and negotiate !

Interesting take.
I always thought you got the best deal when you told the BMW salesman that if he couldn't make the deal - your next stop was the Mercedes dealer.

badgas

Reaction score
Interesting take.
I always thought you got the best deal when you told the BMW salesman that if he couldn't make the deal - your next stop was the Mercedes dealer.
Yes include that !

all part of negotiating

hallett21

Reaction score
Some data for fun

I just bought this truck with 22k miles on it. Found a cool website where you can download the window sticker for $5.
I paid 34.5k OTD

IMG_4559.png

IMG_4540.jpeg

LuauLounge

Reaction score
You can only write off the lease each month. It’s better to buy under sec 179. But then again sec 179 does not work for cars.
I recall it differently, but I’m wrong occasionally. Wasn’t there a situation where you could write off the cost of a new or used Escalade in the year you took delivery of it?

The lease payment is deductible as an expense, like rent, electricity, insurance, etc.

You can take Sec 179 or lease expenses, but not both on the same vehicle or equipment.

This is not a question for a salesman, prefer a CPA.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I recall it differently, but I’m wrong occasionally. Wasn’t there a situation where you could write off the cost of a new or used Escalade in the year you took delivery of it?

The lease payment is deductible as an expense, like rent, electricity, insurance, etc.

You can take Sec 179 or lease expenses, but not both on the same vehicle or equipment.

This is not a question for a salesman, prefer a CPA.
You are correct. The lease is an expenses, but buying under sec 179 you can write off in that tax year and used to have 100% depreciation the year you bought it. But last was 80% and for ‘24 is 60% bonus and next year is 40%. Then the rest the depreciation over 5yrs. But sec 179 is only for vehicles over 6k, so SUV and trucks no cars. But a Bentley does qualify.

I’m pretty sure you can do both, but on different vehicles.

boatpi

Reaction score
Sections biggest year was last year, still the much preferred method. Even my forklift and Taylor Dunn!

JM21

Reaction score
I just went through this 3 weeks ago. Coming back from Parker I knew something was wrong with my 2018 Silverado LT. Had 122,000 miles on it, with 6 payments left. Bought it brand new. Long story short, transmission was shot, around 7k to fix. Didn't want to put 7k into something I was probably going to sell in a few years.

I didn't want to buy a new truck, same as everyone, prices are super high. But wife and I decided to get rid of it (Thanks Car Max). I need something dependable for a number of reasons.

Ended up with 2024 Silverado LTZ. Nicest truck I've ever owned. Most expensive also.

Sticker was 60K, Rydell in Northridge took $4,000 off sticker, plus another $500 because I work in healthcare. They also took off the low jack and ceramic coating.

I looked around at the time and they were the best price for the LTZ. Could have went with a cheaper model, but only save $3,000.

I also like that I got 2.9% interest. Looked at used trucks but they were also expensive, and because it was used interest would be around 6%

Here she is. View attachment 1370384
Im in the market for the same truck right now. I'm more interested to hear how you got that interest rate and from who? I am a 840 score with very little debt besides mortgage and the wife's car and I keep getting told 6% and THAT is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger.

hallett21

Reaction score
Im in the market for the same truck right now. I'm more interested to hear how you got that interest rate and from who? I am a 840 score with very little debt besides mortgage and the wife's car and I keep getting told 6% and THAT is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger.
Maybe a 2-3 year loan? Not a 5 year.

hallett21

Reaction score

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Took the Dually in for its first free service.
Walking around they were over-flowing with vehicles.
Talking to the lot Donkey:
Mid $50K MSRP AWD Blazer EV easily High $30's after incentives & tax breaks. Huge selection excellent warranty.
ICE Pickups they will knock a ton of money off.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
lol I didn’t mean anything by it. But when you click their page it says FREE

Saw that too.

I still appreciate the link. I wonder how far it goes back? That could be some interesting stuff, if it went back to the 60's. 👍🏼

Andy B.

Reaction score
I think GM has some good Rates.

NicPaus

Reaction score
Screenshot_20240512-074932_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240512-074914_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20240512-075117_Samsung Internet.jpg