WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Car dealer/sales people weigh in…

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I had a dealership tell me the inventory issues are still the Covid hangover. Suppliers ramped down and now having trouble to ramp up still, and every make is still competing for limited parts/materials from suppliers so really can’t make more. I think some of it is the makes don’t want another blip event where they sat on inventory so they are also being cautious about production given the inflation and interest rates.

Thoughts?

Bpracing1127

Reaction score
I had a dealership tell me the inventory issues are still the Covid hangover. Suppliers ramped down and now having trouble to ramp up still, and every make is still competing for limited parts/materials from suppliers so really can’t make more. I think some of it is the makes don’t want another blip event where they sat on inventory so they are also being cautious about production given the inflation and interest rates.

Thoughts?
If its chip related thats BS. 95% of that is back to normal

Roosky01

Reaction score
There is plenty of stock for everything except 3/4ton and up around here in the Upper Midwest. Those HD trucks are starting to build up on the lots everyday though. MSRP is long gone for about everything around here and pricing is dropping every day. Sounds like you folks out West are dealing with a artificially propped up market yet that will eventually blow the fuk up?

I think about everyone driving a newer vehicle is way upside down and will be driving them till they are at least paid off. Going to be a rough few years ahead for the autoworkers and dealers...

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
There is plenty of stock for everything except 3/4ton and up around here in the Upper Midwest. Those HD trucks are starting to build up on the lots everyday though. MSRP is long gone for about everything around here and pricing is dropping every day. Sounds like you folks out West are dealing with a artificially propped up market yet that will eventually blow the fuk up?

I think about everyone driving a newer vehicle is way upside down and will be driving them till they are at least paid off. Going to be a rough few years ahead for the autoworkers and dealers...
I can imagine CA residents are trying to stock up on gas powered cars while they still can.

77charger

Reaction score
Yeh they will have to keep for a while and once warranty goes you will really see things change. Like a lot mention reliability ain’t as good as it was just 10 years ago computers really took over and with them trying to maximize fuel milage new engines ain’t as great. Once they break the repair cost will be another consideration.

Another forum I go on there was a topic of modern engine peak reliability . A lot said they think early 2000s to about 2010. Look at an ls solid foundation but afm brings cheap lifters, take an early diesel strong internals but the emissions and computers kill the reliability. New engines going to turbo v6 to replace the v8 etc

Roosky01

Reaction score
Yeh they will have to keep for a while and once warranty goes you will really see things change. Like a lot mention reliability ain’t as good as it was just 10 years ago computers really took over and with them trying to maximize fuel milage new engines ain’t as great. Once they break the repair cost will be another consideration.

Another forum I go on there was a topic of modern engine peak reliability . A lot said they think early 2000s to about 2010. Look at an ls solid foundation but afm brings cheap lifters, take an early diesel strong internals but the emissions and computers kill the reliability. New engines going to turbo v6 to replace the v8 etc
My 2015 f150 with the 5.0 has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned by a wide margin. I am perusing CarGurus, etc. for low mileage early 2020 and older model years for a possible replacement as mine has 230k on it now. Worst case scenario is I just put a new drive train under the truck and keep driving it and be way further ahead when it decides it's had enough and lays down on me.

4Waters

Reaction score

I owe 11k on my 2021 F150 Larait FX4, it has 28k miles on it. I think I'm good but yeah I think you are right in the big picture.

77charger

Reaction score
My 2015 f150 with the 5.0 has been the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned by a wide margin. I am perusing CarGurus, etc. for low mileage early 2020 and older model years for a possible replacement as mine has 230k on it now. Worst case scenario is I just put a new drive train under the truck and keep driving it and be way further ahead when it decides it's had enough and lays down on me.
I hit 265k on my 2500hd w 6.0. I have driven 2 other trucks as work trucks past 325k one was an 05 other 2013.

When it comes to my personal truck I’ll rebuild the engine. Upgrade the cam and continue on. They are simple to work on

Roosky01

Reaction score
All the CA guys need to go out of state. There are plenty of dealerships dealing. You just need to figure out transport or roadtrip.
You could come out here and buy a truck AND a boat to make the trip really worth it? Boating season hasn't even started here and pricing is dropping like a rock from what I'm seeing. Late season deals are definitely going to be had this Fall around here. :cool:

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
My son is hating this week - it’s wholesale week and he has a bunch of EVs to push to dealers that don’t want them.

They want the cheaper gas cars but because of the mandated ratios with EVs he has to play hard ball with the dealers. He won’t sell them the ones they want unless they take EVs also.

Re the interest rates - I’ve been looking at a new truck and the rates are cheap now!

1 yr / .09
2 yr / 1.9
3 yr / 2.9
4 yr / 3.9
5 yr / 4.9
I found out with Chevy they either give you a desirable rate OR the incentives. Incentives were thousands of dollars. Seems you are paying for it one way or the other. I chose the rebates over the low interest since I had a hefty trade in and the numbers made sense.

WTR&PWR

Reaction score
I just bought a 3.0 Chevy diesel as my daily driver. It has all kinds of shit that adds to the cost I have no interest in. Truck won’t let you shift unless the seat belt is engaged. Auto stop at every red light. How much are those accessories adding to your cost and nobody wants them?

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I found out with Chevy they either give you a desirable rate OR the incentives. Incentives were thousands of dollars. Seems you are paying for it one way or the other. I chose the rebates over the low interest since I had a hefty trade in and the numbers made sense.
You can always re-fi later to fix the interest rate, can’t get the incentives later.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Internet will tell you the price to the dealer for most cars, including all factory added options. Dealer doesn’t own those vehicles. Typically they are ‘floored’. Flooring cost is basically a finance fee charged to the dealer, which allows him to have that new vehicle on their lot. That flooring fee has to be paid by the dealer until they sell the vehicle. A knowledgeable buyer can use it to their advantage. Haggling with a new car salesman these days is crazy. You know dealer cost and what you’re willing to pay. If the dealer won’t sell it to you at that price, leave - go elsewhere. FWIW, I do not, initially, include a trade in when buying a new car. If you settle on the new car price, then you can say, OK do you want to buy the car I drove in. Now you’re the seller. I keep them 2 separate deals. And yes, I’m one of those RDP guys who’ve honestly never made a car payment, ever. Including my very first car, 1960 Chevy Impala. It has worked for me.

riverroyal

Reaction score
Look at what's holding value in 3 years. Then lease.
Tacoma, numerous bmw, f150,
There are deals out there, just need to be flexible

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
This is why bought a used ‘15 Lexus GX460. It was fairly inexpensive and they are relatively bomb proof. I’ll drive it till the wheels fall off of it. I also have E250 van which I’ll probably never sell. It has 235k on it and I’ll just put a new engine in it if it lets go.
The price of new vehicles is nuts and all I hear about is problems with them.

Havasu blue label

Reaction score
Internet will tell you the price to the dealer for most cars, including all factory added options. Dealer doesn’t own those vehicles. Typically they are ‘floored’. Flooring cost is basically a finance fee charged to the dealer, which allows him to have that new vehicle on their lot. That flooring fee has to be paid by the dealer until they sell the vehicle. A knowledgeable buyer can use it to their advantage. Haggling with a new car salesman these days is crazy. You know dealer cost and what you’re willing to pay. If the dealer won’t sell it to you at that price, leave - go elsewhere. FWIW, I do not, initially, include a trade in when buying a new car. If you settle on the new car price, then you can say, OK do you want to buy the car I drove in. Now you’re the seller. I keep them 2 separate deals. And yes, I’m one of those RDP guys who’ve honestly never made a car payment, ever. Including my very first car, 1960 Chevy Impala. It has worked for me.
what was last year you bought car

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Several reasons we’re canceling our Denali EV order.
Have a feeling a lot of potential buyers are.

But we’ll still get the Blazer SS EV.
If the new F150 4X4 gas had a rear locker we’d be interested, but it doesn’t.
Nice truck, easy to look at too.
The limited slip” traction lock” on my 2011 f150 works great, extremely positive. Even with one tire on wet or sand will barely spin either wheel, just hooks up and goes. (Crew cab). Way better than any of the gm posi tracks I’ve owned.

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score
I feel somewhat bad for the staff, but what do you expect when
- A Tacoma can have an MSRP over $60k
-When every new cool truck is sold at a mark up to gouge the customer.
-When you order a truck and it takes months to get to you
-When a dealer tries to push BS add ons to screw you

The fact is, people HATE the dealership experience. They are middle men that add little value to a sale and I personally hope they go away. Buy a Tesla and tell me it’s not a million times better.

-Price you see is what you pay
-Short wait times on a build
-Paperwork done online
-Car was delivered to my house with a short walkthrough

JL95

Reaction score
I got pretty nauseous looking at Camping world RV by the tyler mall in riverside. So much inventory i couldn't even imagine sitting on that right now.

bocco

Reaction score
The dealership experience is horrible. You know your getting screwed. It's just a matter of how bad.

I think the real problem is the guy the sales guy goes to approve the deal. That guy needs to go.

The next guy that needs to go is the paperwork/loan guy that tries to upsell the add on warranties.

Bigbore500r

Reaction score
I remember during year 2 of Covid (2023) - lines were out the door at every car dealer. You couldn't walk into Carmax without making an appointment 3-4 days before. All that Covid $$$ and people we eager to spend it on vehicles that were marked up thru the roof above MSRP, or used but priced as new.

Well . . . the hangover is here. Most people have 2-3 year old vehicles and the stuff thats out on the lots now is all 70k, 80k, 90, . . . with a sweet 6.8% APR

I'm not buyin shit till the market pops and interest rates fall. And even then.....I still may not be buyin shit lol

Looking Glass

1 = Well = Known = Member
Reaction score
BUT!! Ford employees played "Hard Ball" until they GOT what they wanted and Wanted Now!!, then Worry About The Future Later!!🤔

NOW!! The "UAW" finally succeded in getting the Tennessee "VW" Plant which is the only Foreign auto plant in the South. Many auto analysts are predicting that this Victory for the "UAW" will eventually end up hurting the "VW" Workers in the long run. Years ago "VW" had a Plant in the East and fought a long ugly Battle to keep the "UAW" out, but finally lost after many problems following the Vote to 'go "UNION" The plant closed in 1987:rolleyes:

"Be Very Careful What You Wish For"

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
There’s a classic Seinfeld episode where Jerry goes to a dealer to buy a new car. Puddy, Elaine’s boyfriend and ex mechanic has become a salesman. Like much of Seinfeld, it’s somewhat true to life and funny as hell. Believe the episode is titled ‘The Dealership’.

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
I just went through this 3 weeks ago. Coming back from Parker I knew something was wrong with my 2018 Silverado LT. Had 122,000 miles on it, with 6 payments left. Bought it brand new. Long story short, transmission was shot, around 7k to fix. Didn't want to put 7k into something I was probably going to sell in a few years.

I didn't want to buy a new truck, same as everyone, prices are super high. But wife and I decided to get rid of it (Thanks Car Max). I need something dependable for a number of reasons.

Ended up with 2024 Silverado LTZ. Nicest truck I've ever owned. Most expensive also.

Sticker was 60K, Rydell in Northridge took $4,000 off sticker, plus another $500 because I work in healthcare. They also took off the low jack and ceramic coating.

I looked around at the time and they were the best price for the LTZ. Could have went with a cheaper model, but only save $3,000.

I also like that I got 2.9% interest. Looked at used trucks but they were also expensive, and because it was used interest would be around 6%

Here she is.
truck.jpg

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I just went through this 3 weeks ago. Coming back from Parker I knew something was wrong with my 2018 Silverado LT. Had 122,000 miles on it, with 6 payments left. Bought it brand new. Long story short, transmission was shot, around 7k to fix. Didn't want to put 7k into something I was probably going to sell in a few years.

I didn't want to buy a new truck, same as everyone, prices are super high. But wife and I decided to get rid of it (Thanks Car Max). I need something dependable for a number of reasons.

Ended up with 2024 Silverado LTZ. Nicest truck I've ever owned. Most expensive also.

Sticker was 60K, Rydell in Northridge took $4,000 off sticker, plus another $500 because I work in healthcare. They also took off the low jack and ceramic coating.

I looked around at the time and they were the best price for the LTZ. Could have went with a cheaper model, but only save $3,000.

I also like that I got 2.9% interest. Looked at used trucks but they were also expensive, and because it was used interest would be around 6%

Here she is. View attachment 1370384
This saves money over the $7k for a fairly recent transmission? I’d take the transmission and keep the 2018.

Todd Mohr

Will Race For Beer
Reaction score
Here's my take on the current Auto business, we will see more incentives but most likely not like before covid. Manufactures are not over building and leaving dealers with stupid days supply of cars. 2024 is not starting off horrible in the Phoenix market, Toyota and Honda stores are doing well, GM and Ford as well. Stelantis and Nissan seem to be hurting the most. Used cars seem to be back to normal depreciation levels but the used market is not going to drop crazy, during covid there were far fewer new cars sold. Less new cars sold in the last 4 years = less used cars available. There is going to be some pent up demand for new cars at some point, most likely when we get some rate drops. The car industry might be like real estate, once rates drop both could be on fire again. I'm a 30+ year dealership manager, this is JMHO.

dribble

Reaction score
So I've never owned a Japanese car in my life. German cars yes and many American cars but I am seriously tired of crawling under vehicles to fix them.

I dreaded buying anything however at the advice of my daughters boyfriends mother I decided to give a Tustin Mazda a try and bought a CX-90. Straight up approach, grand off MSRP, and 60 mo 3.9. No finance games, no added stupid shit either. Taking the car back to have a their Class 3 hitch installed and since this car has CAN Bus Led lighting...their full harness also. They did not have a mid range car with the hitch already installed.

Many of their employees have been there for 10+ years and sold all cars the exact same way during Covid as they are today. The Toyota Dealer in Irvine Auto Center wanted $5k over on a Highlander so the bullshit is still going on.

There are good Dealerships still out there. Helps to have a referral so you don't have to play hit or miss.

Same here. Only owned American. My GF drives a Jag XF. A/C recently quit and it cost me $700.00 to fix it myself (clutch coil). I had to replace the entire compressor. Just bought a new Mazda CX5 for 32K cash. Drove a Buick Envision but bought the Mazda for 8K less. Smooth, quiet, decent power and got 30 mpg from Sacramento to Reno and back. Got $1900.00 off MSRP.

boatpi

Reaction score
Some are harder to find others looking around for a Toyota grand Highlander hybrid lx difficult to find and on some dealers websites they’re even pre-sold the ones that get large allocations.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score

Here she is. View attachment 1370384
So, instead of $7K (too much money?)….you decided $55K would be better?

SKIDMARC

Reaction score
So, instead of $7K (too much money?)….you decided $55K would be better?
Correct, I didn't want to pay 7k out of pocket on a truck that I was planning on selling in a couple years. Sold my truck, took the profit and bought a new truck with no money out of my pocket. I know its RDP, I should have paid cash right! :rolleyes:

To each their own, you only live once, why not have nice shit that is dependable?

Roosky01

Reaction score
Correct, I didn't want to pay 7k out of pocket on a truck that I was planning on selling in a couple years. Sold my truck, took the profit and bought a new truck with no money out of my pocket. I know its RDP, I should have paid cash right! :rolleyes:

To each their own, you only live once, why not have nice shit that is dependable?
You traded a 2018 with a bad trans and made profit? Ho Lee Fuk, I must be doing shit all wrong?

NicPaus

Reaction score
You traded a 2018 with a bad trans and made profit? Ho Lee Fuk, I must be doing shit all wrong?
I drove my 2018 1500 for 20k miles. Traded it in for 2k less than I paid for it. Dealer sold it for 3k more used than it was new. Covid. Well covid pricing is over. But majority of the dealers have not got that memo.

530RL

Reaction score
If people don’t buy new vehicles, there willl be no or less used vehicles to buy in the future.

Those who want used vehicles should encourage others to buy new, so they have a used vehicle to buy in the future. 👍

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
If people don’t buy new vehicles, there willl be no or less used vehicles to buy in the future.

Those who want used vehicles should encourage others to buy new, so they have a used vehicle to buy in the future. 👍

Lease vehicles will Always be a thing.

😉