WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Car dealer/sales people weigh in…

Roosky01

Reaction score
So, I have two good friends that are in sales. One is at a large Ford store and the other is at a large CDJR store. We were having dinner and drinks tonight and both of them painted a pretty bleak picture of the car dealer scenario at the moment.

These guys are both “good” sales guys that work at stores that didn’t gouge (typically sold $1k under MSRP unless a limited special model) during the Vid and they are scared to fuk’ing death right now. It pains me to see them feeling like this. I hope they can find a way to weather this and come out ok.😞

It appears the pain is here and is going to get a lot worse for these folks.

Blue Oval

Reaction score
Our economy was hit hard this winter do to no snow. It has been a sloooow winter here. All of our people are coming back from Florida this week. As the town fills up, It will be interesting to see what happens. Working hard at keeping my inventory down. I have said for the last several years, some day it will all be ordered cars only. No one can stay in business with the floor plan of the costs of these dam cars and trucks.

zhandfull

Reaction score
Doesn’t surprise me. Make decent money and can’t afford a new one myself.

Newest car I have is 2018. Casually looking to replace wife’s 2015 with something used. Probably a pre-Covid Tahoe or Yukon. But something keeps telling me it should be a Toyota 4Runner or Sequoia. Prefer to work with private seller and a credit union to make it happen. Dealers are really proud of their inventory.

Insurance cost are also a concern. With the paid off junk I have now. Could drop full coverage if things tighten, and they will.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Several reasons we’re canceling our Denali EV order.
Have a feeling a lot of potential buyers are.

But we’ll still get the Blazer SS EV.
If the new F150 4X4 gas had a rear locker we’d be interested, but it doesn’t.
Nice truck, easy to look at too.

Singleton

Reaction score
Was looking at new Yukon’s yesterday.
Only 2 on the lot, both over 85k.
Good car sales folks are going to have issues.

Inventory is limited, prices are high and interest rates are high. No one wants to buy when all three of those are occurring,

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Buying a car last year sucked across all manufacturers. Picked a few manufacturers that had cars that worked for us and ended with a really good sales guy that made everything happened smoothly. Makes me want to buy from him again, that’s how easy.

Now, I’ve heard that using a broker works well, haven’t tired it but might next go around.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
I don’t know how people can afford new cars and the payments that come with them.

Many people I know have more car debt than I have house debt. The thought of that gives me anxiety.

Our junk is paid for and we won’t buy anything again until we can pay cash.

Andy B.

Reaction score
We picked up a new Malibu LT sticker was only $30,910 we got $2000.00 off in and out in less than 30 minutes 2.9 for 4 years. We bought because we didn't want all the bullshit new crap coming out in the next few years. We were Going to wait until she retired but I wanted a daily driver to keep miles off my truck also.
I'm over the high end cars bought and sold to many in the end its just transportation we just sink money into our boat 😁

Last edited:

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I've been kicking around the idea of getting a new Chevy 2500 CC 4X4 gasser....found a few "customs" (one step above the poverty package W/T) in the low $50K range, seems considerably less than they were a few years ago. I think I'll wait and see what they're asking at the end of the year

NicPaus

Reaction score
I've been kicking around the idea of getting a new Chevy 2500 CC 4X4 gasser....found a few "customs" (one step above the poverty package W/T) in the low $50K range, seems considerably less than they were a few years ago. I think I'll wait and see what they're asking at the end of the year
Wait until the employee discount for all. I paid $47,500 plus fees for my LT Z71 with leather. 2021. Msrp was 54k if I recall. There are a few in stock at dealers. Damn near impossible to find when I bought it was in transport as they would not offer deal if I ordered. Lots of LTZ diesels in stock but 80k.

Ziggy

SlumLord
Reaction score
I closed my last dealership 12 years ago and already at that time I could see the shopping trends shift towards people-less transactions. Carvana was relatively new back then but it was signaling that shift.

CobraDave

Reaction score
Bottom line prices are too high. Dealers are out of touch with what families are going through financially with inflation and interest rates. They decided to increase prices and make more on each sale versus selling more volume at a cheaper price. It’s the Covid mentality carrying over to 2024. I’m not paying 8 percent interest and full inflated MSRP.

Your ad here

Reaction score
I've been looking at ads for used vehicles and noticed there is pretty much no used inventory for 2015 to current model year pickups. Are people upside down on them or just can't afford to upgrade to a newer model year?

welldigger00

Reaction score
There isn’t a single new car or truck that I even want. Well, maybe that’s not entirely true. A GT3R would be cool. I love my old ass dodge, and my oladys Tahoe. They’re both over 10 years old. They work just fine. I keep my shit nice though.

ChumpChange

Commercial Banker
Reaction score
And yet Carvana stated they were making approximately $6500 per jacket on their earnings call last week. Tell me something is not wrong with that. Yes I wish I bought their stock when it was nine dollars but there’s something amiss in those financials.

77charger

Reaction score
New cars trucks ain’t cheap. I don’t want anymore payments especially with problems that seem to come with new cars.

Just remember not long ago how greedy dealerships were with pricing now slowing down they want you to forget that. Just glad inion auto workers got that raise to get through the tough times 😱

zhandfull

Reaction score
I've been looking at ads for used vehicles and noticed there is pretty much no used inventory for 2015 to current model year pickups. Are people upside down on them or just can't afford to upgrade to a newer model year?
Don’t think you will find any deals on used vehicles for 21 and later model years. People just paid to much for those vehicles.

Thats why I have been looking at 2020 and earlier vehicles. You’re right though, pretty low inventory. There are some deals out there though.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I imagine everyone who financed a vehicle during or after Covid is upside down still....high rates, extended terms, $5-10K dealer markups.....takes a while to get out from under all that.

I was shopping for a Tacoma TRD Off Road in late 2022....MSRP was about $42K, but not a single dealer would let me out the door for under $55K. Even found a couple used ones in the low $30s down here at South Coast Toyota, and I had a connection with the GM there....she told he the used car guys would add on a bunch of shit and I wouldn't be able to drive those off the lot for less than $42K or so.

I ended up buying from a shady used car lot that had almost what I wanted....got him down $3K from asking and paid cash. Truck is still worth about what I paid for it.

The dealers really fucked themselves.

530RL

Reaction score
I just traded in my 2017 F250 diesel with 60k miles for a new truck.

They sold it for 59k.

I’m not sure it isn’t worth the squeeze to buy new.

Familyties

Reaction score
When we were shopping for a new suv for wife in 2022 everybody was 5 to 6k over msrp. I found a Ford dealer to sell us a 2022 ST Explorer for msrp and 1.9 interest, now dealers are calling to see if I want to buy. I tell them I'm going to buy a new F150 but I will not consider any dealer who added money to msrp. Now they say they will beat any price and give them a chance. I say will you be 5-6K under my best price? They say come in and we will talk. I say BS

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Wait until the employee discount for all. I paid $47,500 plus fees for my LT Z71 with leather. 2021. Msrp was 54k if I recall. There are a few in stock at dealers. Damn near impossible to find when I bought it was in transport as they would not offer deal if I ordered. Lots of LTZ diesels in stock but 80k.
You got a smoking deal.

Roosky01

Reaction score
New F150 Lariats are all listed at $5-8k under MSRP around here and low rate financing is available from Ford? It seems people are just not interested in making a purchase unless they absolutely have to, at least in my AO.

Pricing discounts need to be 15-20% to even get me interested at this point.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
It would be one thing if the newer vehicles were dependable, but there are so many electronics on them that sometimes a simple short at can cause a myriad of unrelated issues, then you have the mechanical issues like main bearing failures, defective lifters, and just poor build quality. I really wanted a 22.5 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4X, but couldn’t justify the $80k price plus fees for a ½ ton truck. I just wanted the nicer interior. But I’m am glad I didn’t cave and get one due to the above issues. I’m still on these forums and the quality of these things are just shit, plus the front trim is peeling and the upper portions of the grilles are flying off at freeway speeds. And the newer vehicles are getting even more electronics laden. No thanks.

sirbob

Reaction score
My son is hating this week - it’s wholesale week and he has a bunch of EVs to push to dealers that don’t want them.

They want the cheaper gas cars but because of the mandated ratios with EVs he has to play hard ball with the dealers. He won’t sell them the ones they want unless they take EVs also.

Re the interest rates - I’ve been looking at a new truck and the rates are cheap now!

1 yr / .09
2 yr / 1.9
3 yr / 2.9
4 yr / 3.9
5 yr / 4.9

HALLETT BOY

Reaction score
You guys are kicking and screaming because the trend of buying new cars annd trucks every 2-3 years is coming to an end . The industry / federal govt has kept people car / truck poor with payments forever . Every new car / truck you buy benefits the state in windfall taxes in sales tax and reg fees , ins co’s raise rates , banks love everybody too . The new world order does not want you having nice things … don’t shoot the messenger .

Cdog

Reaction score
This is why we bought a 2008 Hummer H2. I’d rather spend an extra $200 a month in gas than $1000 a month payment on Denali at 90 K that realistically is 22K overpriced.

#fuckpayments

zhandfull

Reaction score
My son is hating this week - it’s wholesale week and he has a bunch of EVs to push to dealers that don’t want them.
That sounds like the making of another lawsuit. Look up Tommy’s Boats against Malibu Boats,

The more I’m reading here and on other sites. The more concerned I’m getting about the state of economy. Lot of cracks forming around the edges.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
I haven’t seen it. Been helping my old man shop for a new midsize truck. Best I’ve found at multiple GM dealers is MSRP, and maybe they remove the $2000 bullshit add on package it comes with. Same with ford. Best I can find on a Tacoma is MSRP plus their $1800 add on package- no negotiation. He has a Ridgeline on order, they appear to have come down a little under MSRP with no add ons. We will see what happens when it lands and we go in to talk final numbers.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
I haven’t seen it. Been helping my old man shop for a new midsize truck. Best I’ve found at multiple GM dealers is MSRP, and maybe they remove the $2000 bullshit add on package it comes with. Same with ford. Best I can find on a Tacoma is MSRP plus their $1800 add on package- no negotiation. He has a Ridgeline on order, they appear to have come down a little under MSRP with no add ons. We will see what happens when it lands and we go in to talk final numbers.
If you want a Tacoma, call Longo in El Monte and tell them what you want. They will find it and get it on the truck to there. No markup or other BS but they won’t sell it for less than MSRP. You pick your options if you want any of them, and they try to find it.

We just did a 24 Taco Off Road for $49k and that included what seems to be the popular option package. They are flexible on the financing and the down.

There are certainly cheaper options like the SR5 and there are pricier options, like adding more option packages, or the higher trims.

Mikes56

Reaction score
I’m shopping around for a used Camry, probably 2021-ish. They are about $26,000-, but with the 8% interest the payment will be $700 a month. F that, I’ll keep driving my 2006 Scion XB,. I‘m not financing a used Camry for 7 years to get the payments lower and get bent over at 8% for 7 years.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
My father in law was laid off from an Infinity dealer in central California a few months ago. 68, been there over 10 years, in car sales basically his whole life. just recently beat cancer. Still busting his ass and said the young sales reps were just standing around. He's been looking for another like-kind job but no call backs after first interview. I'm sure with his age and health, nobody will hire him.

Our vehicles are aged 7, 10, 14, and 53. Bought the newest one (2017 Focus ST) for $19,600 before taxes/fees. Those things were aging out on the lots big time. Feels like I stole it price-wise. Prices are insane now. And all the nanny features of new vehicles is going to keep us driving our current old cars until parts run dry.

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
If you want a Tacoma, call Longo in El Monte and tell them what you want. They will find it and get it on the truck to there. No markup or other BS but they won’t sell it for less than MSRP. You pick your options if you want any of them, and they try to find it.

We just did a 24 Taco Off Road for $49k and that included what seems to be the popular option package. They are flexible on the financing and the down.

There are certainly cheaper options like the SR5 and there are pricier options, like adding more option packages, or the higher trims.
If he ends up in a Tacoma, he wants a limited with white interior. Not very easy to find, and they aren’t willing to order one.

Edit: we are in AZ, and he is trying to stay in AZ for the sale.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
So I've never owned a Japanese car in my life. German cars yes and many American cars but I am seriously tired of crawling under vehicles to fix them.

I dreaded buying anything however at the advice of my daughters boyfriends mother I decided to give a Tustin Mazda a try and bought a CX-90. Straight up approach, grand off MSRP, and 60 mo 3.9. No finance games, no added stupid shit either. Taking the car back to have a their Class 3 hitch installed and since this car has CAN Bus Led lighting...their full harness also. They did not have a mid range car with the hitch already installed.

Many of their employees have been there for 10+ years and sold all cars the exact same way during Covid as they are today. The Toyota Dealer in Irvine Auto Center wanted $5k over on a Highlander so the bullshit is still going on.

There are good Dealerships still out there. Helps to have a referral so you don't have to play hit or miss.

Aces & Eights

Reaction score
I ordered a GMC Sierra 1500 in December 2023. As of the end of March it still hadn’t started production, and there was no pending start date. GM was the last to settle with the UAW and things were backlogged. My local dealership seemed to be doing a lackluster job for me so I looked around other area dealerships and found what absolutely what I had to have. I think I got lucky because the truck was in transit and not on a lot yet. I got it for 4K under MSRP, no dealer add ons. I bought the extended bumper to bumper warranty, 8 years or 80k miles, for an extra 2 grand. They threw in road hazard and GAP insurance for free.

2024 Elevation package short box 2WD, 5.3L V-8, center console. They were trying to push the 4 cylinder TurboMax on me and would’ve gone down to 8k or more below MSRP.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
After we spent the last couple of years setting ourselves up in AZ. Sadly we paid more than should have, but we had little choice. Moving forward I hope to not have to buy another vehicle except maybe one to replace the wife’s Yukon as we are moving up in the miles on that vehicle. I think that I’d rather pump cash into our Chevelle or buy an OBS project that could be my daily driver rather than a costly over priced new vehicle. Looking forward to not compete in the rat race and try to keep up with the Jone’s

Paradox

Known Inmate #27012
Reaction score
I imagine everyone who financed a vehicle during or after Covid is upside down still....high rates, extended terms, $5-10K dealer markups.....takes a while to get out from under all that.

I was shopping for a Tacoma TRD Off Road in late 2022....MSRP was about $42K, but not a single dealer would let me out the door for under $55K. Even found a couple used ones in the low $30s down here at South Coast Toyota, and I had a connection with the GM there....she told he the used car guys would add on a bunch of shit and I wouldn't be able to drive those off the lot for less than $42K or so.

I ended up buying from a shady used car lot that had almost what I wanted....got him down $3K from asking and paid cash. Truck is still worth about what I paid for it.

The dealers really fucked themselves.
I pre-paid a 2 year lease on a TRD 4x off road crew cab Tacoma last year in June. It was $14k plus tax and license. I believe it’s 10 cents a mile for anything over 24,000 at the end, which was a pleasant suprise. Buy out (if I want to keep it when the two years are up) is $30k. I thought it was a reasonable deal. Does not impact my credit report either, it shows as zero dollars owed.

Although not the new model, it’s my daily and is a decent truck. This is the 4th Toyota truck I’ve owned since 91.

IMG_1309.jpeg

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I pre-paid a 2 year lease on a TRD 4x off road crew cab Tacoma last year in June. It was $14k plus tax and license. I believe it’s 10 cents a mile for anything over 24,000 at the end, which was a pleasant suprise. Buy out (if I want to keep it when the two years are up) is $30k. I thought it was a reasonable deal. Does not impact my credit report either, it shows as zero dollars owed.

Although not the new model, it’s my daily and is a decent truck. This is the 4th Toyota truck I’ve owned since 91.

View attachment 1369905
That's not a bad deal.

PlanB

Reaction score
When we ordered the wife's 22 Suburban it took 7 months to get. There was 3k in added on shit when we went to pick it up. They basically told us to fuck off and that they would sell it for more $$$ to someone else if we did not want to pay for the added on crap. We got fucked but there was no other stock any other lots to walk away from the deal.

The vehicle before the suburban we found on a lot 100 miles from our house. On the phone before we drove to the dealership I specifically asked if there were any add-ons and was told no. Well, the salesman fucking lied. I went round and round and told them I was not paying a dime for any of that crap. Finally bought the car but the back and forth for an hour until they realized I was not giving in was unreal.

Buying a vehicle did not used to be this hard. I could usually work a deal over the phone before I drove to the dealer. Now it's all fucking games. I don't feel sorry for them.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I worked at various different dealerships for 30+ years...

Why are you guys all blaming the dealership for pricing? Do think the dealer prints those windows stickers in house? I can assure you they don't!

Now, will some dealerships mark up vehicles over MSRP? Of course they do! But no one is forcing you to buy from those dealerships.

I'm 66. When I was 26, and trying to buy my first house, I went up front and sold cars on the weekends. Yes, I worked SEVEN days a week, and did side jobs at night, trying to come up with a 20 percent down payment.

Back then....

There was a minimum of 10k mark up per vehicle, that the dealer/salesman got to play with! And as a salesman, I got a percentage of whatever mark up I could hold in the deal. I made good money selling cars on the weekend!!!

Today? Not only is there a minimum mark up per car, but Most salesmen get a flat fee, per car, when they sell one. Like 125 bucks per car kinna deal. The sales guys don't make jack shit today!

So because they are no longer on commission, they don't really have Any motivation to go out of their way for you.

Like Zig eluded to, it would probably be better if they took the sales guys out of the picture, and just sold everything at window and be done with it.

It doesn't seem like that day, is too far off anymore.

1tonfun

Reaction score
A year ago, I saw a nice F-350 diesel crew cab on a lot, liked how it looked so I stopped in to take a look. Ended up being used 2022 with 4,000 miles on it and they were asking $86k. Decided to keep my old 01 F-350 and have it painted and new interior put in it. Just couldn't justify paying that for a truck that gets about 6k miles a year pulling the boat to the lake. Don't think I will ever purchase another new vehicle. Working on a 70 C-10 that may become my daily driver when its done. Wife thinks I'm crazy to use it as a daily, wants me to keep my 05 silverado.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
A year ago, I saw a nice F-350 diesel crew cab on a lot, liked how it looked so I stopped in to take a look. Ended up being used 2022 with 4,000 miles on it and they were asking $86k. Decided to keep my old 01 F-350 and have it painted and new interior put in it. Just couldn't justify paying that for a truck that gets about 6k miles a year pulling the boat to the lake. Don't think I will ever purchase another new vehicle. Working on a 70 C-10 that may become my daily driver when its done. Wife thinks I'm crazy to use it as a daily, wants me to keep my 05 silverado.

This is one instance where I can see an LS with a nicely build 700R being a Very nice upgrade. 👍🏼

New AC and a Dakota Digital dash and you're golden!

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
I’m looking at Pre-‘72 El Camino”/ to replace the Tacoma, which I don’t like very much, then maybe throw some $$ at the old Chevy 1500HD….or maybe not, it just sits most the time.

Momma wants something new so maybe that’ll be the new river runner.

hallett21

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to buy a used truck for about a month (been needing one for longer but I didn’t like prices).

My experience is that every dealer feels MSRP plus TTL is the absolute best they can do. Even when you make a halfway decent offer like 40k OTD for a truck that’s asking is 40k. Almost no one would negotiate beyond that.

But sure enough a day or 2 later there’s a few grand to play with. Then when you ask for OTD pricing you get a text stating the new asking price without any taxes or fees.

I think the only way I got the dealer to come down was because I jumped the sales lady and called the sales manager. I just point blank said what’s it gonna take for me to pick up the truck tomorrow.

Every dealer had a sea of salesman and they are on you the moment you pull into the lot.

Englewood

Reaction score
I’ve been looking at 2500HD’s and the dealers aren’t moving much yet. Dutton is making deals, but they don’t have what I’m looking for. At this point, I may wait it out and see if anything changes with rates/rebates/pricing later in the year.

Done-it-again

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to buy a used truck for about a month (been needing one for longer but I didn’t like prices).

My experience is that every dealer feels MSRP plus TTL is the absolute best they can do. Even when you make a halfway decent offer like 40k OTD for a truck that’s asking is 40k. Almost no one would negotiate beyond that.

But sure enough a day or 2 later there’s a few grand to play with. Then when you ask for OTD pricing you get a text stating the new asking price without any taxes or fees.

I think the only way I got the dealer to come down was because I jumped the sales lady and called the sales manager. I just point blank said what’s it gonna take for me to pick up the truck tomorrow.

Every dealer had a sea of salesman and they are on you the moment you pull into the lot.
Try fleet or the online sales person. Can’t stand the “hawks” that swarm you when you walk on the lot.