WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Building a LED sign truck from scratch..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Rear mudflaps are on.. fronts going on now.

Waiting on some wiring loom and some other stuff..

IMG_0271.jpeg
IMG_0272.jpeg

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Badass build!!
Nice work!

But the mudflap location doesn't make sence to me. They should be in front of the box right behind the tire. I just see rock chips happening with them behind the box... imo

You don’t want it close to the tire.. because if someone backs up to a curb etc the flaps get pinched between the tire and get ripped off etc..

They are supposed to be setback (it’s by design)

RD

Andy B.

Reaction score
You don’t want it close to the tire.. because if someone backs up to a curb etc the flaps get pinched between the tire and get ripped off etc..

RD
Yep see guys rip them off semi trailers all the time backing them up against a yellow concrete parking stop or whatever you call them. It's usually on the old trailers .

Lunatic Fringe

Reaction score
Yep see guys rip them off semi trailers all the time backing them up against a yellow concrete parking stop or whatever you call them. It's usually on the old trailers .

The cost of losing an occasional mudflap that's hanging low and tight to the tire is money well spent vs. drawing the attention of the heavy class enforcement team.
Or worse yet, the attention of the average traffic enforcement cop who wants to try and inspect a semi. 😲

The sign trucks mud flaps, by the letter of the law, are not in compliance but the likelihood of it becoming an issue for him is minimal.

Andy B.

Reaction score
The cost of losing an occasional mudflap that's hanging low and tight to the tire is money well spent vs. drawing the attention of the heavy class enforcement team.
Or worse yet, the attention of the average traffic enforcement cop who wants to try and inspect a semi. 😲

The sign trucks mud flaps, by the letter of the law, are not in compliance but the likelihood of it becoming an issue for him is minimal.
Been there done that. The DOT in the trucks can been a stickler to the rules!

mash on it

Beyond Hell Crew
Reaction score

It has a full fender, so it's fine.

I always used a 2x4 on the ground (2x side) and mounted the mudflaps. Fully loaded they had a quarter inch. Or less.

At 70, on a slight curve, the chrome weights just just kissed the highway. The way it should be.

Dan'l

joecfd1

Reaction score

RD
There's plenty of advertising space on those mudflaps...Just sayin'

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
There's plenty of advertising space on those mudflaps...Just sayin'

Oh something is coming.. whether it’s the stripper girl or the stars and bar or an rdp I haven’t decided lol

I kind of like the Old School smoky and the bandit theme

yard dog

Reaction score

RD
That’s why they anti-sail brackets for mud flaps available any truckstop .

zhandfull

Reaction score
Funny, I was just thinking about bumping this thread yesterday. 😁

Dalton

Reaction score
@Blackmagic94 prob told you when you bought it.....but on those gens also- when starting you have to hold the start switch in the start position longer than other pieces of equipment, holding it starts the magnetic field, if you ever start it and it doesn't create AC voltage just shut it down and restart holding the switch in the start position longer.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
@Blackmagic94 prob told you when you bought it.....but on those gens also- when starting you have to hold the start switch in the start position longer than other pieces of equipment, holding it starts the magnetic field, if you ever start it and it doesn't create AC voltage just shut it down and restart holding the switch in the start position longer.

We are gonna need an education on this thing because the loads are going to change a bit depending on what it’s doing.. and I don’t get the impression this is a start it and forget it operation.

Dalton

Reaction score
We are gonna need an education on this thing because the loads are going to change a bit depending on what it’s doing.. and I don’t get the impression this is a start it and forget it operation.

The first time you're running days on end you'll shake out any issues, they are pretty set and forget actually, just shut them down every 10 days for oil change/service. Maybe keep a spare primary or external fuel pump on hand.

Attachments

• 10kw engine parts manual.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 10kw engine manual.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 10 kw gen diag.pdf
    9.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 10 kw gen parts manual.pdf
    879.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 10kw gen operator manual.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
So it’s been awhile since we have had an update.. While I was at LOTO Eric finished up the insulation and assembly of the sign truck!

We are waiting on one electrical component and then my buddy Jon will come over and wire up the 110 / 30 amp / 50 amp both in and out.. considering even having some 3 phase leads (ya never know?).

We are danger close!!

New EVERYTHING..

IMG_5282.jpeg
IMG_5283.jpeg
IMG_5284.jpeg
IMG_5285.jpeg
IMG_5286.jpeg
IMG_5287.jpeg
IMG_5288.jpeg
IMG_5289.jpeg
IMG_5290.jpeg
IMG_5291.jpeg
IMG_5292.jpeg
IMG_5293.jpeg
IMG_5294.jpeg
IMG_5295.jpeg
IMG_5296.jpeg

4Waters

Reaction score
Looks great. Are you going to add speakers

dread Pirate

Reaction score
I like the bumper. What year would that have been off of or is it an aftermarket deal? I know that's not a 7.3 bumper. ;)

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I’m interested to see how this thing generates revenue because it looks like you invested a metric shit ton of money.

Month one will be proof of concept mostly team rdp ads, and “advertise on me”. Kinda stuff

Depends on how that month goes.. if we get a bunch of listings and re biz then this thing will be team rdp for the rest of its life.. (which I’d prefer)

The actual kinda biz plan when I had in mind though was six/seven second videos.. for example if it is a detail shop 2-3 seconds of a kid spraying a car then fade into the static ad with contact information for another 3 seconds then rotate.

50.00 per day truck runs 20 days a month on the clock from early am (7:00) till about 10:00 at night. Which equates out to 1k a month per advertiser 15 ads at one time is 15k a month minus 2-3k for my guy to drive it and park it / pick it up each day.. fuel and occasional oil changes on the genset.

The ten days downtime is can be rented for private parties, events, or when we go off-roading it will power my camp and we can have movie nights

RD

4Waters

Reaction score
It has removable concert level sound.. there are pics of it earlier in the thread.. speakers pop on and of the sides of the screen and the sub hangs off the back of the truck.

RD
Probably do pretty good on superbowl Sunday if someone is having a large party

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Probably do pretty good on superbowl Sunday if someone is having a large party

Or the largest video game screen for kids bday parties.. advertising for events.. sales events for car lots. Boatshow and other events out here..

The uses for it are pretty broad.

I originally bought the truck to hang team rdp banners on it.. lol. It kinda snowballed. 😳 after Dan put a screen on it at supercat.

85RiverRAT

Working my way up!
Reaction score
Wow that is cool! Turning out great.

@RiverDave I'm sure you are already on this like 'white on rice', but the floating sign truck staging the boats at LOTO was pretty cool! Desert Storm could use a boat staging billboard too.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Wow that is cool! Turning out great.

@RiverDave I'm sure you are already on this like 'white on rice', but the floating sign truck staging the boats at LOTO was pretty cool! Desert Storm could use a boat staging billboard too.

I have seen them at Miami.. but I never saw one at LOTO.. did you get any pics?

RD

Ricks raft

Reaction score
That’s cool. Nice attention to details. Shame there wasn’t room to put equipment in the center of the bed and have a second screen on the other side…

Dog

Reaction score
I have seen them at Miami.. but I never saw one at LOTO.. did you get any pics?

RD
It was shown on the live feed. I wouldn't know how to find it to take a screen shot though. It was on a "barge".

Dog

Reaction score
@RiverDave Here is a company that seems to be doing pretty well. You may be able to gain some ideas.

Heylam

Reaction score
Someone here on the site posted a picture of the sign barge at LOTO. I thought it was here on this thread.