WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

At the Islander launch ramp today.... Oops

CoolCruzin

Reaction score
It's guys like this that make us pay big bucks for insurance. I feel not one bit bad for the guy and his boat after seeing the video. Straight dumbass, scares me more everyday boating with my family with fucktards like this out there

Right on !!

dschifan

Reaction score
I was boating last weekend about 4 or five miles above needles bridge at about 40 mph and this jack wad comes up on the right of me on a jetski and he could of given me a high five that's how close he was to the side of my boat and gives me a thumbs up as he is spraying me in the face ! I gave him a 1 finger salute ! WTF is wrong with these people ?

I don't even have the breath to waste on the pwc encounters we have had this year. It's the worse I have see of any year and since I run the river 99 percent of the time its getting out of hand. I have a loud ass air horn in carry in arms reach to blow those fuckers ears off lol.

wishiknew

Reaction score
I don't even have the breath to waste on the pwc encounters we have had this year. It's the worse I have see of any year and since I run the river 99 percent of the time its getting out of hand. I have a loud ass air horn in carry in arms reach to blow those fuckers ears off lol.

Thanks good idea !!! Needed 1 Air Horn

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score

I enjoy when they jump my wakes. :rolleyes
I wait til they get nice and close and hit the Place Diverter.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I am going with lack of experience with offshore controls and gross operator error.

If the throttle was stuck wide open, then you'd shut off and paddle or tow it over to the trailer.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
All in all, the guy was pretty fortunate all he did was run up the ramp.....He could have easily steered into the dock and caused some real damage.:yikes

Be interesting to hear if he has owned the boat for awhile, if he's even the owner, or his level of experience.....So many things that could've happened, but it appears inexperience played a big part of the deal.

Wicky

Mr. Potatohead
Reaction score
Pull your pants up Wicky....

I can't...I loaned my belt to Robin Williams and he wouldn't give it back..
Is it too soon for a joke like that?
RIP Robin...you will be missed.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I can't...I loaned my belt to Robin Williams and he wouldn't give it back..
Is it too soon for a joke like that?
RIP Robin...you will be missed.

Be kinda neat to hear Robin's standup routine about his death. Kind like Richard Pryor talking about his crack fire that near killed him.:yikes

Still hard to believe he's gone. But his sense of humor would have made it okay for us to joke about it if it brought some comfort I suspect.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Just a thought I wonder if this was a drive by wire setup that malfunctioned

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
Just a thought I wonder if this was a drive by wire setup that malfunctioned

I think the latest Mercury stuff is (8.2 ho, etc.) but I don't think that boat is new. Looks like a Commander and if so definitely not new.

DeltaSigBoater

This is... Legendary!
Reaction score
I think the latest Mercury stuff is (8.2 ho, etc.) but I don't think that boat is new. Looks like a Commander and if so definitely not new.

Hard to believe but Mercury Marine's Digital Throttle & Shift has been around for 10 years now. It was optional but I don't think too many people opt'd for it.

I agree it does look like a Commander

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
The Ocean Cat is a 2006 and has it. It's all Cummins Mercruiser. So I can agree with you there but I could see it at home on some other boat brand. That Commander Signature is very unique in shape and they loved that gel type scheme before they folded up into a suitcase.

teded

Reaction score
Just like beaching it next to the Road Runner on a bizy weekend, beach it high so it don't float away.

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
you guys got this one figured out all wrong... its obviously a brake problem.

the lesson to be learned here is to clear the area when this boat is in the vicinity.

The brakes went out. That explains it. :D

Go Big

Reaction score
The ignorance on this site is amazing. I hope none of you negative assholes ever get into an accident. They guy had a low battery and an IAC issue. Yes it could have been handled differently but no one is perfect like you clowns.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
The ignorance on this site is amazing. I hope none of you negative assholes ever get into an accident. They guy had a low battery and an IAC issue. Yes it could have been handled differently but no one is perfect like you clowns.
Hey Go Big............go home.

PVHCA

Reaction score

It's playful banter, chill. Thankfully no one was injured, other then the owners pride and boat.

Jefftowz

Formerly Old School Ultra
Reaction score
popcorn.jpg

t&y

t&y
Reaction score

Not knocking you or being a smart ass with this question, but how do you know this? And how would a low battery cause the engine to rev like that? And.... What is IAC?

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Not knocking you or being a smart ass with this question, but how do you know this? And how would a low battery cause the engine to rev like that? And.... What is IAC?

Low battery can cause all kinds of computer issues including having to relearn the idle. Usually, there's an issue with stalling from low idle speeds after a battery issue though. IAC is an idle air controller, it controls how much air enters the engine at idle.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

Ignorance would be not turning the key off at the first sign of trouble. Ignorance would be not knowing what to do in a panic situation and risking other peoples lives. And exactly how does a low battery and IAC problem shift from reverse to forward and all the way up launch ramp?

Please enlighten us ignorant folks

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Low battery can cause all kinds of computer issues including having to relearn the idle. Usually, there's an issue with stalling from low idle speeds after a battery issue though. IAC is an idle air controller, it controls how much air enters the engine at idle.

Ahhhhh so lean rich lean rich lean rich....etc.....

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score

Does IAC mean the ignition switch doesn't work?

Ignoramus
At
Controls?

"It could have been handled differently" is an understatement.

Clown, out.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
Ahhhhh so lean rich lean rich lean rich....etc.....

No, the computer handles that (rich or lean/more or less gas) based on information from sensors and mapping. IAC is basically a miniature computer controlled throttle.

That said, I've opened up an IAC to max (using an IAC tester) and never got above 1500 or so RPM's. So, I'm not sure what happened here.

DaveH

Reaction score
No, the computer handles that (rich or lean/more or less gas) based on information from sensors and mapping. IAC is basically a miniature computer controlled throttle.

That said, I've opened up an IAC to max (using an IAC tester) and never got above 1500 or so RPM's. So, I'm not sure what happened here.

there is NO WAY an IAC has that much authority. even at full duty of the valve, the engine might see 2000rpm with NO LOAD on the engine (neutral) but once in gear and the engine loaded, the RPM would fall dramatically. think of it this way, you only need a small amount of throttle to rev an engine freely close to redline, but in gear, there is not enough airflow to support that. whatever the issue was in this accident, it wasn't an IAC issue.

Kachina26

Inmate #RDP158
Reaction score
there is NO WAY an IAC has that much authority. even at full duty of the valve, the engine might see 2000rpm with NO LOAD on the engine (neutral) but once in gear and the engine loaded, the RPM would fall dramatically.
Agreed.

Deja_Vu

Essex Affectionado
Reaction score
Yikes, when he started backing up pretty fast my heart skipped a beat. Too bad he didnt think of turning off the ignition...that is so embarrasing.

The good news is no one was hurt and the boat can be repaired.

That Guy

Rack em'
Reaction score
there is NO WAY an IAC has that much authority. even at full duty of the valve, the engine might see 2000rpm with NO LOAD on the engine (neutral) but once in gear and the engine loaded, the RPM would fall dramatically. think of it this way, you only need a small amount of throttle to rev an engine freely close to redline, but in gear, there is not enough airflow to support that. whatever the issue was in this accident, it wasn't an IAC issue.

Hey Dave - don't be jacking up this thread with factual information......:D:thumbsup

DaveH

Reaction score
Hey Dave - don't be jacking up this thread with factual information......:D:thumbsup

yeah but that BS explanation probably sounded good to the insurance company so some bean counter will cut a check to repair the boat......I wouldn't be surprised if there was a claim against chipped gears in the drive.....because of the IAC of course