WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Anybody ever driven to Cabo?

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I may be making the journey to pick up a trailer load of equipment in the next couple months. Then tow it back. Anybody got any insight (besides the obvious)?

I was thinking to check Vagabundos del Mar website.

saucedaddy

Reaction score
I may be making the journey to pick up a trailer load of equipment in the next couple months. Then tow it back. Anybody got any insight (besides the obvious)?

Playboys & Smokes!:thumbup:

Tamalewagon

Little Buddy
Reaction score
I did the drive back in the 80's. There is only one route. You already know the obvious concerns. I am still a fan and still go to Las Gaviotas but I don't know if I would be venturing this far south without backup.

OutCole'd

Raging Member
Reaction score
That would be the road trip of a life time, just not sure I got the balls.

Could we stop in Loreto for a few days of fishing, and Pacifico's??

Wadernation

Reaction score
Some family friends of ours built some homes down there. they made the drive a few times bringing truck loads of supplies down during construction / furnishing and they never had any problems. wish i knew more details but they are still alive to talk about it :D

MissB

The Asset..
Reaction score
My aunt and uncle live in Loreto, they do it (10+ hours) every couple months......They also have a house in San Quintin....... BUT I'm on the hellnotrain to fu*kthatVille. I agree with DB, I've heard to many sad, horrific stories:(. My parents drive to San Quintin, but that's just past Ensenada.

JRS1939

Reaction score
I race the 1000 every year. And every other year it goes from Ensenada to La Paz. I can promise you, after (south) of San Quintin, the roads become so narrow that it becomes white knuckle driving all the way south. You see a ton of semi accidents on the roads down there. If you plan on towing a trailer, be prepared. It isn't fun...

McRib

aka HWlaser23, "B" team member
Reaction score
with central Mexico in the condition it's in, I wouldn't be dragging a trailer load of anything behind me. especially if I was white!! I'd fly down and hire a transporter and a broker. park in ca then walk over the bridge to the airport and fly in and out of TJ. then all YOU have to worry about is our customs.

Ballyhoo

Reaction score
It has been many years but I have done that road trip twice. I would plan your trip so you dont do any driving during darkness. The highway is narrow enough in many places, then you add in the big trucks, unseen road hazards and various animals and it can get dangerous real fast. We would leave OC real early AM so we would cross the border while it was still dark. Driving to Ensenada in the dark is fine as you are on a good highway. Plan on driving to either Santa Rosalia (570 miles-11 hours) or Loreto (693 miles-14 hours.) From Loreto to Los Cabos its about another 6 hours. Slow and steady is the mantra. Carry Pesos in smaller denominations to pay for your fuel. In many of the larger towns, like Cabo, some of the PEMEX stations will play games with your credit card. Dont carry anything illegal as you will pass thru a few roadside checkpoints run by their military. The guy in charge will be like 20 years old.

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I know two avid fishermen who haul their boat back and forth to Cabo about twice per year. They love it and supposedly have never had any issues.

Their boat is a 28-ish foot Cabo fishing boat.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I have been to Cabo, drove all over the place, then up to Todos Santos. I've driven from Loreto to Santa Rosalia and back. And from SD down to Playa Malibu Sur a few times. I will even have a Mexican with me, plus Hank apparently too. :D

My good friend is from La Paz, has a restaurant in Loreto and has tons of family in Cabo. (His godfather owned the Palmilla from way back). BUt he has a tits marble floor polishing rig sitting down there that we could use....

I have always wanted to do the drive, but would rather take two weeks instead of one. I know it is wise to be careful, but it ain't like it is freakin Faluja down there.

mesquito_creek

Reaction score
Yes... but I always have gone the east coast out of mexicali and crossed over at the 3 hwy... cant wait for the pavement to go through coco's corner when the 5 connects to the 1. I have never done it under a tight time schedule, which is good because I always fall behind by over indulging on fish/beer at every stop... I have always got side tracked also which ends up with lots of night driving and its never been a problem.

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
All the time.

I take my friend 500bbc with me. :D

Attachments

• Humvee.jpg
    Humvee.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 45

Enen

Reaction score
My sister has a vacation rental in Sayulita, near Puerto Vallarta. She's made the drive towing a trailer down and back several times. If a blond haired pretty white girl can do it, the rest of y'all a bunch of pussies.

TRAVISD

Reaction score
I have driven that rode a bunch for the 1000 and towed plenty of miles on those roads. Yes, they are narrow but you also are not going to be doing 80 towing. If you are smart and just take your time its a great drive. Expect to take 2-days to do it. You should make it to Guerro negro or San Ignacio the first night then on to Cabo the second day.

JRS1939

Reaction score
My sister has a vacation rental in Sayulita, near Puerto Vallarta. She's made the drive towing a trailer down and back several times. If a blond haired pretty white girl can do it, the rest of y'all a bunch of pussies.
Pics or you're full of shit.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I have driven that rode a bunch for the 1000 and towed plenty of miles on those roads. Yes, they are narrow but you also are not going to be doing 80 towing. If you are smart and just take your time its a great drive. Expect to take 2-days to do it. You should make it to Guerro negro or San Ignacio the first night then on to Cabo the second day.

I was thinking San Ignacio was a good place to spend the night. Travel Advisor has several places with great reviews.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
Have a friend break down towing a 31' Innovator sportfisher back from Cabo. Had a cell phone but no service, out of range. Climbed up into the boat, turned on the battery and made a "marine operator" phone call over his AM Marine radio. Passed on his location and problem and had help on the way in no time. Tried VHF first, but it didn't have the range.

500bbc

Reaction score
All the time.

I take my friend 500bbc with me. :D

You should rethink that.

Set out on a run to Cabo to eat, drink, party and fish.
Young and dumb driving at night speeding and blew a tire.:yikes

85MPH off into the dark, dark rocky desert. We guessed we rolled at least five times, camper saved our lives. Roof was touching the dashboard, basketball size rocks in the cab of the truck, steering wheel broken. It was a crew cab and the drivers seat belt held but the seat didn't, it was flat. I was driving and my buddy was asleep on the seat with no seat belt on.

The rest of the story "Escape From Baja" is a good one. Especially the dwarf proprietor at the plywood hotel in Santa Rosalia, the 8" bloody gash in my ass cheek and the 6" gash to my skull.

Good times!:thumbup:

DON'T drive at night!

KevinR

Reaction score
I made the drive last September with a buddy that wanted to leave a car there for when he uses his 2 timeshares.

Others have given same advice I can. Did someone say it's a narrow 2 lane and there are semis? Couple scary moments that got your heart rate up.

We did a three day trip...Santa Monica to Guererro Negro, then GN to Loreto and Loreto to Cabo via the Todos Santos direction. Did not drive at night for the reasons stated. There was plenty of PEMEX to be found in the towns you pass through.

In September there were three different spots on the two lane highway were we were routed off pavement for a 1/4 to 1/2 mile. We were in an early Ford Expedition so that was no problem for us.

I will say this, the road south of Ensenada to Cabo was in much better condition than I expected. I was actually very good except for the work sites. And there are some unreal vistas and views as you frequently go up a couple thousand feet then back down as you cross over to Loreto and again toward Todos Santos and Cabo.

shan

Reaction score

I wouldn't drive into Mexico for anything. Take lots of cash and be prepared to give it away.

skav

Reaction score
We're planning a trip from Tecate to Cabo on bikes next year;)

brgrcru

Reaction score
Just do it. life is an adventure. :thumbsup

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
You will be fine. As stated, don't drive at night, take a buddy with you, bring spares, don't put your cash all in one place, and don't be an idiot. Other than that get ready for a great adventure though some breathtaking country :thumbsup

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
I know it is wise to be careful, but it ain't like it is freakin Faluja down there.

Are you sure on that? I think there is more similarity there than many want to give credit to. Take a step back and look at Mexico as a whole and it is very clear that the county is in a full blown civil war. The deal is that it is not politically correct to point this out and then you throw in how many hundreds of millions in tourist $ and the cover up and denial is on........

riverroyal

Reaction score
Playboys & Smokes!:thumbup:

we did hustlers...

only thing is leave around 3 am. gets you passed Ensenada at sunrise. Drive to Mulege and stay the night. Then wake up early for the next leg. Same on the return trip. DO NOT drive at night.
DO NOT drink the water, you knew that and bring as much fuel as possible. 50/50 mix if you can. Fire arms are super risky, hide cash really well. Bring someone that speaks GREAT mexican, not school Spanish
Spare tires, not TIRE. You will lose 1. The roads arent really roads, more like the moon. Semi's rule, don't challenge them. They will push you off the road and not look back. think mad maxx style. Try to not bring Deb, in my opinion its not safe. There is NOTHING on that trailer worth it, unless its real expensive stuff. Then you have a 25% chance it will get confiscated anyways.

Other than that have fun, its a amazing drive. Totally unlike anything Ive ever done and Ive been everywhere in the states.

If I don't see you again, nice knowing you. :D

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
The biggest threat to your safety in Baja is driving. You have to drive like every other driver is going to do the worst possible thing at every moment. The people, particularly south of Ensenada are quite hospitable and if you show respect you will be shown respect in my experience. Having said that, taking precautions as if you were traveling through barren desert with no services is prudent. Mexico is a 3rd world country plain and simple and it doesn't suffer fools, but if you take proper measures to protect yourselves you will have an amazing trip and memories for a lifetime.

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
with central Mexico in the condition it's in, I wouldn't be dragging a trailer load of anything behind me. especially if I was white!! I'd fly down and hire a transporter and a broker. park in ca then walk over the bridge to the airport and fly in and out of TJ. then all YOU have to worry about is our customs.
What about a disguise like this? :D uploadfromtaptalk1461194982676.jpg

brgrcru

Reaction score
Go on expedition portal web site. You would be surprised what people are doing. I talked to a couple, that have been driving a ford 4x4 van around the world. they will ferry it, or put it on a ship, when they cross water. from Alaska to Russia, Europe, Africa, India, south america. 5 years living out of a van and motels.
Mexico no problem. :skull

regor

Tormenting libturds
Reaction score
You should rethink that.

Set out on a run to Cabo to eat, drink, party and fish.
Young and dumb driving at night speeding and blew a tire.:yikes

85MPH off into the dark, dark rocky desert. We guessed we rolled at least five times, camper saved our lives. Roof was touching the dashboard, basketball size rocks in the cab of the truck, steering wheel broken. It was a crew cab and the drivers seat belt held but the seat didn't, it was flat. I was driving and my buddy was asleep on the seat with no seat belt on.

The rest of the story "Escape From Baja" is a good one. Especially the dwarf proprietor at the plywood hotel in Santa Rosalia, the 8" bloody gash in my ass cheek and the 6" gash to my skull.

Good times!:thumbup:

DON'T drive at night!

Just freshen up your .50 caliber skills, I'll drive! :D

skav

Reaction score
My aunt and uncle live in Loreto, they do it (10+ hours) every couple months......They also have a house in San Quintin....... BUT I'm on the hellnotrain to fu*kthatVille. I agree with DB, I've heard to many sad, horrific stories:(. My parents drive to San Quintin, but that's just past Ensenada.

Ensenada to San Quitin is roughly 150m

Boozer

Extreme Mist
Reaction score
I just got back from Puerto Vallarta. We left the resort zone several times and spent a lot of time hanging out where the locals hang out. Aside from a small scare I had while riding in a Taxi I never felt unsafe once and we got quite a ways away from the resorts for a good deal of the trip.

I would have no problems making a drive down to Cabo. I would definitely not go by myself but having one other person with me I see no reason why you should be concerned.

I'll echo the peso comment. While down there all of my friends used American dollars and you get hosed doing that. Every place you go to has their own exchange rate for the US dollar, the average was 15:1 but I saw some as low as 13:1, mind you I could pull them from the ATM and my bank converted them at 18:1 which was the current exchange rate at the time.

j-bone

Reaction score
Something to think about. I don't drive a diesel, but a (Mexican American) friend of mine does and is planning a trip to LA Bay. His diesel does not burn the Mexican diesel. Apparently it needs the high sulfur or something. So, if you drive a diesel that requires special fuel you may want to consider other options.

On another note, I'd say an (White) American Citizen would have to have balls of steel to make a trip like this. You are in a dangerous food chain, and like swimming in the open ocean with steaks tied to your speedos, you are at the very bottom of it. The armed criminals know you are unarmed and will take anything they want. Including your life. I have no problem with Mexico as a vacation destination, I just wouldn't drive down. I fly into resort towns like, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, and soon to be Cancun. But driving down there on the open road...you are asking for problems. Sure 99% may say it's all good. But that 1% can say much why they are decapitated and dissolving in a drum of muriatic acid.

Best of luck to you though.

J

JRS1939

Reaction score
Make sure you stop at the border and get the Mexican tourist visa also. An just an FYI, we were told by tourist enforcement in Feb on our trip to San Felipe that anytime you cross into mexico for any length of time you need the tourist visa and it only costs money if you're there over 1 week... which in turn I believe comes to be $25

DC-88

Reaction score
I've driven it and camped it all the way down multiple times on surf trips and always got the Mexican Insurance first. Don't drive at night, that's when the cows, vampires, and mad max trucks are out in force. Don't drink the agua pura from the tanks at the little towns. Stash your cash/pesos in various spots ( I leave some obvious and unscrew deoderant + stuff it behind and other semi creative hiding spots etc.) , bring yeti type cooler and ice/lots of beers/keep shaded, and although I've been known to pack I wouldn't down there + clean the truck of shell casings too. I'd wait till Cabo area to eat tacos etc. caus'e I always get sick but some people I know don't...Overall It's probably not as safe as it once was, but it is beautiful, desolate, and seems safer than it was 5-7 years ago?

NeverSatisfied

Reaction score
I pulled a trailer down to bay of la through Ensenada and back through Cocos corner and San Felipe. Shitty road for a while but way easier the rest of the trip than the other way! Watch out for rocks on the side if roads. Thats how they mark wash outs in the highway.

was thatguy

living in a cage of fear
Reaction score
Yep.
I drove from AK to Cabo.
Camped all down the Baja.
It was awesome. Stayed on the beach at Totos Santos for 2 months. About 60 miles north of Cabo on the pacific coast.

This was in 2000, don't know if I'd do it today.

Loreto is one of the most picturesque places I've ever seen, and I've been all over the pacific.
Had army roadblocks about every 100 miles once south of Ensenada.
Sometimes they searched, sometimes they didn't.
It was a trip I'll never forget.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
Baja, I'd probably do it and be smart about it.

Now if it was Guaymas or some other place on the mainland, NFW.

Tommy Gun Images

Media Lackey
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm interested how many of the naysayers here have actually made the drive down the peninsula.

shan

Reaction score
I'm interested how many of the naysayers here have actually made the drive down the peninsula.

You probably won't hear much negative because those folks are still locked up or dead. No thanks.:D