WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Another leaving California thread.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
Moving sucks…
I tell people I would rather get kicked in the balls than move…

The sad part… CA has made it worth getting kicked in the balls to get the fuck out.

I left Murrieta a few years ago. Zero regrets. I dont get to see some friends as frequently I would like. Miss a restaurant or 2…
But I dont miss it at all.

When I read on RDP of $1200 electricity bills and $750 water bills, combined with national news of major company’s changing their HQs from CA to Texas or ________________. Chevron and a major investment firm… not Morgan Stanley, but one similar just announced a move.

It reenforces all the reasons why I left. Thats has nothing to do with crime/traffic/homeless/taxs…

LOL
And Murrieta is one of the best places to live. We are having such a bad homeless/drug problem in San Diego, I'm looking to move to Murrieta right now.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
If you are a person of the water, you have to divide water climate separate from dry land climate. SoCal does indeed have the best dry land climate overall. A little chilly in the evenings and winters as you see by all the wind breaks and outdoor heaters everywhere, but overall as good for dry land weather as it gets.

BUT

The ocean here is murder if you are a waterman. Biggest wetsuit market on the planet. And for good reason.

All of this is to support the idea of keeping a foot in SoCal for its dry land climate. And having someplace else for liberty and/or nicer water.

-Peter
I'm normally pretty negative on SoCa, I was trying to change my tune and see the positive. Never really was a fan of the Pacific even living on Catalina and in Ventura Harbor. Most my time growing up was in the Inland Empire a far cry from the enjoyable experiences of my perception of living in Orange County, or San Diego. It was hot as hell in Menifee during summer.

I'm totally down with your keeping a place with favorable weather concept and subscribe.

FWIW if not for policy, I think California is a beautiful state. The Eastern Sierra is one of my favorite places. I could be pretty damn happy working in the Ernie's Tackle shop and eating lunch at Tiger Bar every day.

@angiebaby summarized very well in her story about her parents. We've made some friends here in Montana from California, they went in so hard on building a California Style home here in Rural Montana, they anticipated a lifestyle multiplier that has not penned out. They told us two weeks ago they are selling and moving after only just finishing the house. Going to try North Carolina I guess. There expectations are not aligned with this place, I hope they are happy in the next, they are great people, but they don't fit in. They don't really want to fit in.

I think a lot of people tend to move for the wrong reasons.

COCA COLA COWBOY

Reaction score
My son just moved back home to Temecula from North Carolina . Him , his wife and family absolutely hated everything about North Carolina . The food was the worst to him next to the rude people. He loves Temecula and is glad to be home. Said the politics were just as liberal in the schools as California so at least in California he gets way better restaurants.
This is interesting! Temecula/Murrieta Schools are probably ones best bet in SoCal. I'm home shopping right now in Murrieta/Temecula because my son had a transgender teacher, all his other friends left the school (used to be one of the best in Escondido) and the homeless is out of control.

MOUZER

The Legend
Reaction score
welcome i left california 4 yrs ago after 61 yrs in so cal..i livr on lake keowee sc for last 4 yrs.....
DSCN2596.JPG
DSCN2657.JPG
DSCN2306.JPG

cheezpanel

Reaction score
Lived here all of my life. 68 years. Born in SF. Raised in Daly City. Been in Livermore since 1984. So, a big change in culture.

Water bill will be non existent for a while since this property has a well. I'm sure electricity will be cheaper and of course gas.

Now liquor will not be a bargain due to state run stores. and lately I drink more than I drive.
Us too...left San Diego 2 years ago when we retired. Lived there our whole lives. Moved to TN where my daughter lives. We were outta there after 6 months and moved to Henderson. It's cool, but as much as I hate to admit, CA is home. Don't regret the experience, and even though I retired, I'm only 57. So we're looking at moving back and maybe working part time in areas we just enjoy. We still have the river house in Yuma, and we spend lotsa time there, but I'm starting to feel like I need to be involved in more.

cheezpanel

Reaction score
Moving is stressful. While painful upfront and at the moment, just start throwing away stuff now. Don't bother trying to sell it for cash, just toss it. As for packing, the black totes with yellow lids from home depot are the best.
Ha ha right. I ended up buying a pallett of em. I think we have like 15 big ones and 12 small ones.

gqchris

Reaction score
CA has the best yesr round weather in the country, maybe the world , arguably.

Im glad I had the opportunity in 1998 to meet a girl in my hometown of Vegas and she convinced me to move to cali with 200$ in my bank account and a prayer.

Its all for a reason and Cali treated me well for many years.

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score

Im glad I had the opportunity in 1998 to meet a girl in my hometown of Vegas and she convinced me to move to cali with 200$ in my bank account and a prayer.

How’s it going at your new place? Hope all is well.

NIKAL

Reaction score
I'm normally pretty negative on SoCa, I was trying to change my tune and see the positive. Never really was a fan of the Pacific even living on Catalina and in Ventura Harbor. Most my time growing up was in the Inland Empire a far cry from the enjoyable experiences of my perception of living in Orange County, or San Diego. It was hot as hell in Menifee during summer.

I'm totally down with your keeping a place with favorable weather concept and subscribe.

FWIW if not for policy, I think California is a beautiful state. The Eastern Sierra is one of my favorite places. I could be pretty damn happy working in the Ernie's Tackle shop and eating lunch at Tiger Bar every day.

@angiebaby summarized very well in her story about her parents. We've made some friends here in Montana from California, they went in so hard on building a California Style home here in Rural Montana, they anticipated a lifestyle multiplier that has not penned out. They told us two weeks ago they are selling and moving after only just finishing the house. Going to try North Carolina I guess. There expectations are not aligned with this place, I hope they are happy in the next, they are great people, but they don't fit in. They don't really want to fit in.

I think a lot of people tend to move for the wrong reasons.
What makes it a California style house?

As far as moving for the wrong reasons. We have some family friends who moved from Jamul /San Diego to TN and I’d say they regret the move. They retired, daughter & grandchildren went to TN, son & family stayed here and they chose to go to TN. Well it’s been just over 2 years, so far they probably come back to San Diego 6-7 times a year and stay a week or more at a time. I think I’ve heard them complain more about the TN weather than anything positive. He is a retired custom home builder and bought a new semi custom track home in TN. He’s commented more times than I can count about how crappy the build quality is compared to California.

Sherpa

Reaction score
I keep looking at properties on smith lake in alabama. maybe that or Tyler texas......... but I certianly plan on buying land/house in Chico
to use my senior property tax transfer.....

Xtrmwakeboarder

Reaction score

As far as moving for the wrong reasons. We have some family friends who moved from Jamul /San Diego to TN and I’d say they regret the move. They retired, daughter & grandchildren went to TN, son & family stayed here and they chose to go to TN. Well it’s been just over 2 years, so far they probably come back to San Diego 6-7 times a year and stay a week or more at a time. I think I’ve heard them complain more about the TN weather than anything positive. He is a retired custom home builder and bought a new semi custom track home in TN. He’s commented more times than I can count about how crappy the build quality is compared to California.

One of my staff left TN after less than 2 months. Huntington to Nashville-ish area to Temecula. She was building a home there and said the quality was garbage. Her story is the inspectors were shady as hell and she eventually refused to sign off on the build as they took too many short cuts. Lost her earnest money and bailed for a new build in Temecula with no issues.

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
Slab on grade. lots of solid floor (tile, stone) and finishes you see in California that are not readily available locally. Floor plan is spread out and sprawling.

You don't see houses built this way here in Montana for various reasons associated with water intrusion and ground freeze. This drove up costs significantly and increases heating costs. They had to do a complex radiant floor heating system that drove up costs. They insisted on plumbing fixtures on exterior walls that froze and burst the first winter. Having a zero elevation change entry and grade level doors throughout the home are also not good in the Northwest, but work fine in the southwest.

My impression is they were not flexible with their builder on many items in which the builder suggested going with local best practices and then complained about issues. It looks like a nice house, but in ten years it's gonna have issues. You can't have a southwest style home in the northwest and expect it to perform the task of durability against the elements.

Last winter our remote video surveillance camera on our deck reported minus 30 degrees Fahrenheit. while only for a short cold snap of a week, this deep freeze can play hell on a home. My shop is pretty hard to get warm once the ground freezes. The slab is going to hell in there.

gqchris

Reaction score
How’s it going at your new place? Hope all is well.
Its amazing, brother! Hot of course, but you deal with it!

I just found out the canal behind my house has Bass, Catfish, Talapia and totally legal to fish with my AZ Fish License! Guess who is going to cruise the golf cart over and drop a few lines once it cools down?! 😂

Tremor Therapy

Reaction score
Temecula is closed.
So is Murrieta!

We have been here for almost 20 years, and it has changed...a lot. High density housing going up everywhere. General building going on all over the place even with dozens of unoccupied office space. Old town Temecula on a weekend....like waiting for a ride at Disneyland. It still is somewhat conservative, but that has changed as well. The majority of my new neighbors are OC/LA county that sold their 70 year old fixer for $1.5 mil and bought into a 3000 sq foot home for under a mil and brought their entitled personalities with them. I am lucky I live on the west side of the 15, but I have been told that the land between us and the Santa Rosa Plateau has been planned for 1200 units of high-density homes. I love it here, but we are starting to look around.

Last edited:

shintoooo

I'm Blessed
Reaction score
Its amazing, brother! Hot of course, but you deal with it!

I just found out the canal behind my house has Bass, Catfish, Talapia and totally legal to fish with my AZ Fish License! Guess who is going to cruise the golf cart over and drop a few lines once it cools down?! 😂

Hell yeah!! The only thing you can catch in the LA River is body parts and scurvy 😆

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
So is Murrieta!

We have been here for almost 20 years, and it has changed...a lot. High density housing going up everywhere. General building going on all over the place even with dozens of unoccupied office space. Old town Temecula on a weekend....like waiting for a ride at Disneyland. It still is somewhat conservative, but that has changed as well. The majority of my new neighbors are OC/LA county that sold their 70 year old fixer for $1.5 mil and bought into a 3000 sq foot home for under a mil and brought their entitled personalities with them. I am lucky I live on the west side of the 15, but I have been told that the land between us and the Santa Rosa Plateau has been planned for 1200 units of high-density homes. I love it here, but we are starting to look around.
I felt this way in 2000 when I left Murrieta. :) Honestly word for word except adjust prices.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
First, I will NEVER be a I hate CA or TX person. Pros and cons to each place for different people.

I’m debating on making a thread detailing our journey for some more context but the short answer is…

Moved to TX so my wife could get a promotion, we could save six figures in taxes on an impending sale of my company, build a house to our specs and live in a house that we couldn’t afford in CA, enjoy more freedom, be surrounded by like minded people, and roll the dice on an adventure. Wasn’t a long term move unless we really really liked it. More strategic from a financial perspective.

Moving back to CA because there were changes at my company which led to no sale of the company and being laid off for the first time in my life. My options are worthless unless I want to drop $200k of my own money to exercise and pay taxes. Who knows when a sale would happen, though. We hate the summers here and tornado season. Summer is especially bad because we are outside people. Hiking, biking, etc. We spend all of our vacation time traveling back to CA to see family and friends which leaves no time to travel to new places, which is our passion. My wife can keep her position and work remote in CA. She will be able to use her title for a better job if she wants. I looked for jobs in both CA and TX and the pay is $50-$100k more in CA for my position. I was just offered an SVP, acting CFO, position with a salary and bonus well above my already high expectations. My father is in the final stages of Parkinson's and my wife’s grandma, who raised her, is 89. We’d like to spend some time with them before they pass.

There is no perfect place so we’ll try to save and buy a primary residence outside of CA, probably the mountains of Utah, and spend summers in CA at a smaller vacation place near the beach.
WELCOME BACK!! the weather is great ;)

I love your "never be a hater" statement, CA like every other state has its stereo type that people want to portray across the whole state when in actuality its quite the opposite outside of the greater SF or LA areas. But to each their own.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
Funny reading about these "failed" moves.
We're a year and a half into our move to New Hampshire and we love more and more each day.

Speaking of houses and build quality we're very impressed with the job the contractor did with our house. It was 90% done when we made the offer on it so we didn't have a whole lot of say, which might be a good thing. There are things of course I would have added or left out but all in all it's a very well built house. My dad, always a tough critic, saw it for the first time last month and he was very impressed too.
Between being closer to family, retiring and wanting to leave CA we left for all the right reasons and couldn't be happier. 😊

boatnam2

Reaction score

boatpi

Reaction score
Interesting that people do have some money. I’ve been looking ant investing in Maui, but more so Kawaii for the last three years.
We’ve been looking at investments.

just insane pricing but people are buying their just for the 20% a year appreciation which is not gonna last a nice almost oceanfront condo and a development that’s 25 years old is 1.6 mil. Not to mention an HOA of 1600 a month. And with 900,000 down, they make a chump change 20,000 a year it isn’t working.

We were in just Maui recently, sniffing around and looking at for the dollar there may be some good value on the outskirts of Lahaina. that’s gonna be going through redevelopment over the next year in the rebuilding of the houses down just north of front Street. The work ahead is absolutely insane. With the proper guidance. It can be done. It’s not that large of an area like you’re losing 1000 homes. It’s doable and for those and construction if you can get an in they’ll be jobs for years this is the place if you get the right wage that you can make good money and live a great off Work life, a short of skilled labor.

Back to real world, we have a lot of people on here but like I said, I’m an older guy. I’ve been doing real estate for years and the old saying “ read my lips”, if you can anyway even if you’re a little upside down, keep a footprint within two or 3 miles of the coastline and Orange County or San Diego County it is gold for life.

DILLIGAF

Reaction score
As a person that has traveled the USA grew up in Monterey and had multiple houses and a business based out of CA for 30+ years I can say this with conviction....F CA It went down the tubes a long time ago

Only thing for me is the grandsons but other than that IDGAF....lol

Ricks raft

Reaction score
WELCOME BACK!! the weather is great ;)

I love your "never be a hater" statement, CA like every other state has its stereo type that people want to portray across the whole state when in actuality its quite the opposite outside of the greater SF or LA areas. But to each their own.
Agreed but the politics and regulations are being shoved to the rural areas. We live in a great area, Mariposa, next to Yosemite, but cost for lower middle class is getting insane. Just got our PG&E bill $750. Appx 1600sf, generally use swamp cooler but had the AC on during the 100* days but only at 76* in the evening.

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Agreed but the politics and regulations are being shoved to the rural areas. We live in a great area, Mariposa, next to Yosemite, but cost for lower middle class is getting insane. Just got our PG&E bill $750. Appx 1600sf, generally use swamp cooler but had the AC on during the 100* days but only at 76* in the evening.
Solar is the answer to beat the elec bill, otherwise I would have to sell a kid to keep the house at 72:)

pcrussell50

Reaction score
Solar is the answer to beat the elec bill, otherwise I would have to sell a kid to keep the house at 72:)

Maybe. Just make sure you have your exit strategy in place in advance for when the panels age out and stop producing or when roof leaks occur where the panels are mounted and water damage occurs. Old solar panels are hazmat and toxic waste. You don’t want to be on the hook for their removal or disposal. If you are old, you don’t want to leave your heirs with that mess either.

The best plan is to have the solar company put money in an escrow account for you to use to replace your roof and/or dispose of the old panels when they go bankrupt. You will need a lawyer to help file the right papers so that they can’t get that money when they BK.

Also talk with your homeowners insurance about roof leak coverage from leaking where solar panels are mounted, and get it in writing.

HTH

-Peter

Last edited:

pcrussell50

Reaction score

You either don’t surf, or have high tolerance for cold water or wetsuits. The ocean here is murder. But the freezing ocean is what gets us the pleasant dry land weather. Can’t have both, unfortunately.

Still enough people have money and the CA dream to spend it. If you are in the trades, and good with people, (too many tradesmen are not good with people), you almost can’t miss in SoCal.

-Peter

Just Ducky

Reaction score
Made our move to havasu three years ago. We've had our house here since 2006 with the intentions of retiring here. When covid came along my job was impacted due to the collapse of the commercial airline business . My company gave me a nice package to go away so my last day of work was 2020.Spent some time getting our properties ready and sold the stuff in California and haven't looked back. And yes moving after being in the same home for 25 years is tough.

cofooter

Reaction score
You either don’t surf, or have high tolerance for cold water or wetsuits. The ocean here is murder. But the freezing ocean is what gets us the pleasant dry land weather. Can’t have both, unfortunately.

Still enough people have money and the CA dream to spend it. If you are in the trades, and good with people, (too many tradesmen are not good with people), you almost can’t miss in SoCal.

-Peter
10's of thousands of surfers find the So Cal ocean just fine for surfing. I used to be one of them, but no more. And it's not because it cold, lol.

Your ad here

Reaction score
10's of thousands of surfers find the So Cal ocean just fine for surfing. I used to be one of them, but no more. And it's not because it cold, lol.
Was it salsa music, Raiders Nation attire, and BMWs the size of whales?

cofooter

Reaction score
Was it salsa music, Raiders Nation attire, and BMWs the size of whales?
Haha, all of the above and more. I left in 98 after 37yrs. Got a great career opportunity and thought there were better places to raise my family. Worked out well for me. I go back occasionally to visit my family and am ready to leave after a few days...........

pcrussell50

Reaction score
The waves are great. The water is freezing. Only the kooks in any given lineup aren’t wearing wetsuits. Nobody finds it fine. You wear a wetsuit or you freeze. It’s simple physics. Spend long enough in a wetsuit and it begins to drive you batty. Especially if you get around in the world and get to feel what comfortable water feels like.

-Peter

hallett21

Reaction score
The waves are great. The water is freezing. Only the kooks in any given lineup aren’t wearing wetsuits. Nobody finds it fine. You wear a wetsuit or you freeze. It’s simple physics. Spend long enough in a wetsuit and it begins to drive you batty. Especially if you get around in the world and get to feel what comfortable water feels like.

-Peter
lol in so cal? I can surf Malibu no wetsuit in the summer. OC/Sandiego in a 3:2 mid summer I start to get hot.

pcrussell50

Reaction score
Went out today in DOHO, 72-degree water is really nice.
I fly Hawaii routes. I’m there every week. I was in Honolulu the day before yesterday. It’s 82’ish at Waikiki beach and it still requires a flinch before you submerge your torso. It becomes OK once you get used to it though. 72 requires a huge gulp of courage to get in unprotected. And you can’t stay out as long. And you really want your sweatshirt when you get out. The older I get, the more I hate hate hate having to step into cold water and get used it. I imagine it’s like people who spend too many hot summers in the desert and get tired of it?

72 and I can get away with top only… if it’s sunny… and not windy. Otherwise for cloudy morning glass it’s 3:2 baby all the way. Again, it’s that first wallop of cold before you get used to it, that gets me. I. Am. Sick. Of. It. I like to step into pure comfort.

For the lake, we don’t even bother until 83-84 water minimum. The kids don’t like it, and we don’t like it until it’s pure comfort. 86+

-Peter

v6toy4x

Reaction score
Maybe. Just make sure you have your exit strategy in place in advance for when the panels age out and stop producing or when roof leaks occur where the panels are mounted and water damage occurs. Old solar panels are hazmat and toxic waste. You don’t want to be on the hook for their removal or disposal. If you are old, you don’t want to leave your heirs with that mess either.

The best plan is to have the solar company put money in an escrow account for you to use to replace your roof and/or dispose of the old panels when they go bankrupt. You will need a lawyer to help file the right papers so that they can’t get that money when they BK.

Also talk with your homeowners insurance about roof leak coverage from leaking where solar panels are mounted, and get it in writing.

HTH

-Peter
You make buying solar sound as bad as buying a new diesel pickup:eek:----OOPS! did that too, I dont think the exit will be all that bad. Have you read the impending gloom for those who change thier own oil at home, the feds will probably be knocking on my door any minute!

pcrussell50

Reaction score
A quick test indicator of how well suited the water is to human comfort is to evaluate a crowded beach. What percentage of people are in the water at or above torso level? In SoCal you won’t see many. In Rio, you’ll see tons. Summer in Sydney, tons. My wife is from Orange County. She cut classes to be at the beach. And she never goes past the depth it takes to pee. Way. Too. Cold.

-Peter

pcrussell50

Reaction score
You make buying solar sound as bad as buying a new diesel pickup:eek:----OOPS! did that too, I dont think the exit will be all that bad. Have you read the impending gloom for those who change thier own oil at home, the feds will probably be knocking on my door any minute!

How do you get from being smart about who’s left holding the bag over leaky roofs and aged out solar panels, to diesel pickups? And changing your own oil at home? And Feds?

I’m sure you have some kind of slick subtlety… but I’m not getting it… You’re gonna have to fill us in as to what you’re on about. :confused:

-Peter

v6toy4x

Reaction score
How do you get from being smart about who’s left holding the bag over leaky roofs and aged out solar panels, to diesel pickups? And changing your own oil at home? And Feds?

I’m sure you have some kind of slick subtlety… but I’m not getting it… You’re gonna have to fill us in as to what you’re on about. :confused:

-Peter
Peter,
Didn't mean anything confrontational, merely admitting things are not always as rosey as they appear.
New diesel trucks emissions are proving to be leaving the owners holding the bag, i.e. never ending DPF problems, the reference on changing your oil at home just exemplifies something that people have been doing for ever but disposal of oil is somewhat regulated and our "green" friends would love to put an end to anyone working at home on their cars. Feds reference was if you were still "disposing" of your oil the way our forefathers did the EPA would have you over a barrel. Thats all, re reading my post I can see where it didn't come off as intended, my fault!

Maybe the better response would have been merely the economics over 20 years seem to outweigh the exit issues IF you live somewhere where your elec bill avgs more than 500/mo (6k/yr-120k over 20) buys and disposes a lot of panels, IMO when installed properly the rack penetrations are no more invasive than a plumbing pipe/flashing?

pcrussell50

Reaction score
Peter,
Didn't mean anything confrontational, merely admitting things are not always as rosey as they appear.
New diesel trucks emissions are proving to be leaving the owners holding the bag, i.e. never ending DPF problems, the reference on changing your oil at home just exemplifies something that people have been doing for ever but disposal of oil is somewhat regulated and our "green" friends would love to put an end to anyone working at home on their cars. Feds reference was if you were still "disposing" of your oil the way our forefathers did the EPA would have you over a barrel. Thats all, re reading my post I can see where it didn't come off as intended, my fault!

Maybe the better response would have been merely the economics over 20 years seem to outweigh the exit issues IF you live somewhere where your elec bill avgs more than 500/mo (6k/yr-120k over 20) buys and disposes a lot of panels, IMO when installed properly the rack penetrations are no more invasive than a plumbing pipe/flashing?

No worries mate. I didn’t take it as anything confrontational. In fact I was down on myself because I didn’t get it. I came from Australia but it was back in 1988 to go to SDSU. So I’ve been here a long time. But sometimes I worry that I miss things culturally.

-Peter

cofooter

Reaction score
A quick test indicator of how well suited the water is to human comfort is to evaluate a crowded beach. What percentage of people are in the water at or above torso level? In SoCal you won’t see many. In Rio, you’ll see tons. Summer in Sydney, tons. My wife is from Orange County. She cut classes to be at the beach. And she never goes past the depth it takes to pee. Way. Too. Cold.

-Peter
What a coincidence, I'm from OC and my fiance is from Sydney, she'll go out no problem. To each his own, though.......

boatnam2

Reaction score
I fly Hawaii routes. I’m there every week. I was in Honolulu the day before yesterday. It’s 82’ish at Waikiki beach and it still requires a flinch before you submerge your torso. It becomes OK once you get used to it though. 72 requires a huge gulp of courage to get in unprotected. And you can’t stay out as long. And you really want your sweatshirt when you get out. The older I get, the more I hate hate hate having to step into cold water and get used it. I imagine it’s like people who spend too many hot summers in the desert and get tired of it?

72 and I can get away with top only… if it’s sunny… and not windy. Otherwise for cloudy morning glass it’s 3:2 baby all the way. Again, it’s that first wallop of cold before you get used to it, that gets me. I. Am. Sick. Of. It. I like to step into pure comfort.

For the lake, we don’t even bother until 83-84 water minimum. The kids don’t like it, and we don’t like it until it’s pure comfort. 86+

-Peter
Yea waki waki water is nice, too warm for me sometimes and north shore always right at being on the cold side over there even though they always say its 80.

pcrussell50

Reaction score
Yea waki waki water is nice, too warm for me sometimes and north shore always right at being on the cold side over there even though they always say its 80.
At our hotels in both Wailea (Maui Island), and Lihue (Kaua’i Island) you gotta move quick to get a spot in the hot tub any time after about 4pm.

Also, the FAA has designated SoCal as a hypothermia area. You can only fly so far from the coast with only life vests and no rafts. This jives well with the size of the wetsuit market and with any cursory scan of a crowded SoCal beach day, where almost nobody is in beyond pee’ing depth.

And of course there are the hypothermia tables where 70 degrees water you get into the danger zone for death in not much more than two hours. Obviously if you are strong and fit and keep moving you can tolerate it longer.

-Peter

cofooter

Reaction score
At our hotels in both Wailea (Maui Island), and Lihue (Kaua’i Island) you gotta move quick to get a spot in the hot tub any time after about 4pm.

Also, the FAA has designated SoCal as a hypothermia area. You can only fly so far from the coast with only life vests and no rafts. This jives well with the size of the wetsuit market and with any cursory scan of a crowded SoCal beach day, where almost nobody is in beyond pee’ing depth.

And of course there are the hypothermia tables where 70 degrees water you get into the danger zone for death in not much more than two hours. Obviously if you are strong and fit and keep moving you can tolerate it longer.

-Peter
You're a bit of a trip, Mate, haha.......