WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

A Day in the Life of.....

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
i just did a waterpump on a 6.7 Powerstroke. and before anyone asks me which one, the answer is yes. just about had to break down the entire front of the engine to get down to that bastard.

Anyway, one dead engine today. and one questionable one I got tore down and inspected and it looks like im going to be able to save it!.

this ones in a Cobalt
20230315_154259.jpg
20230315_171931.jpg

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
At least this one was already on a trailer, and not in a slip;)
I loved putting the boat in early in the morning. Putting it on the trailer first thing was like starting the day going to a funeral.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Ok Ok nobody else bit so I will... what in the hell is a Cadillac motor doing in a relatively late model Mastercraft boat?
And don't think I didn't see our Cobra hiding and lonely back there....

its a limited production Indmar platform and was an option in some larger wake sports boats. Its not often I come across x55s but when i do, they normally have the 7.4L LS Ilmor in them, this one is special 😁, and by that I mean a special pain in the ass to work on.

LuauLounge

Reaction score
Is there any service you can perform without pulling the engine?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Is there any service you can perform without pulling the engine?

you can change the decorative engine cover....

seriously not as terrible as some. you can get to most your basic service items on this engine with the impeller being hard to reach but not impossible. I had to pull this one because the propshaft seal (and as I found out during the pull, the rudder seal) were leaking. There was absolutely no way to reach these in this boat without pulling the engine. The wiring harness I need to repair would have been reachable inside the boat with only removing the back seat and engine cage that houses the ski pole.

and ya, this relay box is no longer available which is why Im doing the work and not the dealer. 2 separate Mastercraft dealers told him hes SOL and to basically kick rocks.
16800335036967878426909925551281.jpg

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
you can change the decorative engine cover....

seriously not as terrible as some. you can get to most your basic service items on this engine with the impeller being hard to reach but not impossible. I had to pull this one because the propshaft seal (and as I found out during the pull, the rudder seal) were leaking. There was absolutely no way to reach these in this boat without pulling the engine. The wiring harness I need to repair would have been reachable inside the boat with only removing the back seat and engine cage that houses the ski pole.

and ya, this relay box is no longer available which is why Im doing the work and not the dealer. 2 separate Mastercraft dealers told him hes SOL and to basically kick rocks. View attachment 1213490
She got a little hot there. Fuel pump relay?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
She got a little hot there. Fuel pump relay?

ya, thats not even what killed it. More crappy wiring by some half ass tech at the dealership wins again. (prior to my customer owning the boat)
20230328_152640.jpg

this was tied into the fuel pumps exactly as you see it, it wasnt even secured and was just hanging out on the back of the transmission. Its some sort of auxilary waterpump to make the cockpit warmers heat up faster. if you look at the zip tie you can see where the wires melted and started shorting together.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
ya, thats not even what killed it. More crappy wiring by some half ass tech at the dealership wins again. (prior to my customer owning the boat) View attachment 1213498

this was tied into the fuel pumps exactly as you see it, it wasnt even secured and was just hanging out on the back of the transmission. Its some sort of auxilary waterpump to make the cockpit warmers heat up faster. if you look at the zip tie you can see where the wires melted and started shorting together.
That's emergency repair stuff to get home...not what anyone should be paying for.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
That's emergency repair stuff to get home...not what anyone should be paying for.

im seeing it more and more often from the boat dealers these days. they value sales over service and dont pay enough to keep any decent techs around. ive actually been getting passed a lot of more in depth work from around the lake this year. Its great paying work but having multiple engines opened up at any moment is wearing on the brain.

Check out what Im doing right now lol. 90hp Johnson and nobody will touch it because its a 2smoke.
20230328_151334.jpg
20230328_152426.jpg
20230328_155231.jpg

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
ya, thats not even what killed it. More crappy wiring by some half ass tech at the dealership wins again. (prior to my customer owning the boat) View attachment 1213498

That is absolutely NUTS on a 350k boat. Harbor Freight crimp connectors without a ounce of real heat shrink in sight.

Just fucking wow.

Last edited:

Wave Hi

Reaction score

Oh shit ! Thats not what its supposed to look like ? If you will excuse me i need to get to my boat !!!

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
im seeing it more and more often from the boat dealers these days. they value sales over service and dont pay enough to keep any decent techs around. ive actually been getting passed a lot of more in depth work from around the lake this year. Its great paying work but having multiple engines opened up at any moment is wearing on the brain.

Check out what Im doing right now lol. 90hp Johnson and nobody will touch it because its a 2smoke. View attachment 1213502 View attachment 1213503 View attachment 1213505
I'm still learning boat stuff in general, but haven't messed much with outboards. To me, they're like an automatic transmission, a ton of tiny parts. I figure once I mess with one, like a trans, the parts will make sense.

It's good you're picking up where the dealer is lacking. A broad skill set, like doing automotive as well as marine, keeps doors open, and the lights on. When seasons change, both figuratively and literally, those same customers will keep you in mind. I've found word of mouth seems to be pretty important.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
You have a source for water resistance relays back there in the lone ⭐ state?

I'm making this box for my BIL's boat right now. Would be perfect for what you need to do I'm thinking?

View attachment 1213516
well Id say thats about as water resistant as you can get!. Space is at a premium in this boat though. Ive got a different style relay/fuse box that will mount in the same location on the engine with the exception of a resettable standalone flag breaker in place of the main 40a fuse

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Im back in my Cobalt today, I dont understand how machine shops dont know how to paint. Id just as much rather them not even try sometimes the way it comes out. but hey easy fix, just had to go out and buy some paint. I decided to rebuild the carb while I waited for the heads to dry so I can continue engine assembly. Holleys are the worst to rebuild. I always end up have to scrape and scrub the gaskets off.
20230329_134248.jpg
20230329_134217.jpg
20230329_134234.jpg
20230329_134140.jpg

HST4ME

Reaction score
I boil them in a pot with a little simple green after coming out of the ultrasonic cleaner, gaskets fall right off.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I boil them in a pot with a little simple green after coming out of the ultrasonic cleaner, gaskets fall right off.

i soaked them in a tub of acetone this time around. Im still buzzin a little bit 😅

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I cant say that it is anywhere near as sexy as a couple of 700sci engines out of a 42 cig but the Cobalt engine is back together and reassembled. Im one of the few in my area who will still undress and build an engine back up while still in the boat which for some of my customer can mean the difference between fixing it and not. Even a couple independent shops will send me this kind of work. My number 1 goal in this business has always been to keep as many boats safely on the water as possible. Brand and size of boat plays little if any factor in the work I take on. Its all about helping people in getting back out there.

20230406_160448.jpg

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Today, I am making custom sized RGB speaker rings to fit behind some oddball sized Focal speakers. View attachment 1217600 View attachment 1217601
Somewhere in my crap, I have a Roto-Zip tool with a metal strap attached. The strap has holes in it, spaced out for the radius for different speakers. Are those circles you can buy now? I used to make "donuts" out of MDF, then stretch material over the shapes to glass up for enclosures... F'in pain in the ass!

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Somewhere in my crap, I have a Roto-Zip tool with a metal strap attached. The strap has holes in it, spaced out for the radius for different speakers. Are those circles you can buy now? I used to make "donuts" out of MDF, then stretch material over the shapes to glass up for enclosures... F'in pain in the ass!

for some speakers yes, for these ones no. I (my customer) had to pay what I consider stupid money to have these custom cut on a cnc router.😳

and I still have to do some shaving on the smaller ones to make them fit

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I swear, sometimes its like they know what youre doing on other boats, I had my Cobalt all finished up mechanically and last minute they had me add some LED lighting. Just white on this one.
20230417_120412.jpg

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
it aint all sunshine and rainbows folks, last night my oil sucker bucket sprang a leak at the bottom. Im cleaning up a huge mess while I should be working.... 😪😕
20230425_103802.jpg
20230425_104916.jpg

Last edited:

Jim

Reaction score
"Sunshine & Rainbows"....... is what you call that work ???
A proper attitude is very important for a good job !!!
Well done, as always Sir !!

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
Been there, done that...
Bright side, not a mess in someone's boat. Costs time, but at least not out of pocket expense in addition to a kick in the balls.

ltbaney1

Reaction score