WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

A Day in the Life of.....

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Might be time to get back on the Cobra...... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I have been. not as much as a month ago because the heat takes a lot out of me. There just isn't anything new and picture worthy as I've been hand sanding all the folds and nooks and crannies. super time consuming with vary little to show for it in means of visual progress

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I have been. not as much as a month ago because the heat takes a lot out of me. There just isn't anything new and picture worthy as I've been hand sanding all the folds and nooks and crannies. super time consuming with vary little to show for it in means of visual progress
Yes, I heard you got some serious Humidity & Heat at moment. My two Cali friends who bailed buying in your area are bitchin and reminding themselves & anyone who'll listen of tax benefits presently.

4Waters

Reaction score
I saw 117° in Austin today🥵🥵. At least when you are working on a boat on the water you could "accidentally" fall in.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
I think that I may go down, set up a lawn chair with a cooler and supervise next month one weekend. You know its the good thing for a friend to do lol.
Hilarious.... my buddy did the kit Cobra thing while back and thats exactly what I'd do.... loved watching him as a newly retired professor at Pepperdine take that all on over a year. He really wasn't a car guy at all and I would just sit on my beach chair in his garage flipping through that thick manual as he tinkered away. Gotta say it came out sweet even though as a life long educator he had minimal mechanical aptitude. Impressive.

Ace in the Hole

Reaction score
Hilarious.... my buddy did the kit Cobra thing while back and thats exactly what I'd do.... loved watching him as a newly retired professor at Pepperdine take that all on over a year. He really wasn't a car guy at all and I would just sit on my beach chair in his garage flipping through that thick manual as he tinkered away. Gotta say it came out sweet even though as a life long educator he had minimal mechanical aptitude. Impressive.
I'm sure that this is a good stress reliever for Breck, I look forward to the day he takes me for a good rip with baby girl grinning ear to ear :D

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Wish you'd get down there and re focus this ole boy.... I've been on him online plenty though I know not why ha.... he's got one full plate.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Well I think we were just talking about this the other day in @C-Ya 's thread. This is from a joystick boat and the engine/drive have less than 200 hours on them.

20230622_114742.jpg
20230622_114749.jpg
20230622_115007.jpg
20230622_115022.jpg
20230622_115633.jpg
20230622_124328.jpg

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
I would just have a bow thruster and I'll do the rest.
Have been on a few, and it's unnerving, especially when set on the hold in position mode or whatever it's called. Neighbor had one fail bad in a 40 Formula which had the merc-dual prop-diesel combo.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I would just have a bow thruster and I'll do the rest.
Have been on a few, and it's unnerving, especially when set on the hold in position mode or whatever it's called. Neighbor had one fail bad in a 40 Formula which had the merc-dual prop-diesel combo.
Zeus Pods with Skyhook it sounds like, or maybe Bravo3X Axius if they were sterns although I haven't seen one in a Diesel setup yet.

I still prefer shaft and rudder on cruisers. the failure rate and high maintenance of these newer drives systems is obscene. Give me something simple, proven, and robust

Last edited:

OLDRAAT

inadequate member
Reaction score
Probably 10 year old so Formula. Diesels were inline with Merc Branding. Possibly a short lived partnership with Cummins?

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Probably 10 year old so Formula. Diesels were inline with Merc Branding. Possibly a short lived partnership with Cummins?
ya, I've worked on a couple of those Merc/Cummins Diesels but they were all shaft boats. Your buddies is likely one of the early Zeus boats, especially at 40 ft with Diesels. I'm thinking Merc would want #6/NXT drives on that Formula if it were sterns which aren't available with joystick control/skyhook

Last edited:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
And the last one I have promised for the 4th is done!. Well technically it wasn't even promised, it was just a firm maybe because I didn't know if I would have the parts in time. My generator parts showed up last night and I got to work this morning!

The generators raw water pump failed and it needed a new one. The only problem was that the water pump for this generator is no longer available. And worse than that, the water pump that superceded it is also discontinued and no longer available. After some searching and running down parts chains I finally found a water pump kit built to replace the original water pump which included a new different length belt, mounting bracket, and some different formed cooling hoses. Got her changed out and fired up. everything's also been freshly serviced on this little red monster as well.
20230630_104057.jpg
20230630_104040.jpg

20230630_131245.jpg

Then there was some electrical house keeping on the boat to do as well. Sometimes it's the little stuff that earns you a long term customer.

While I was doing the service, they asked me if I worked on navionics stuff and I told them that I did some and asked what they needed. Well their nice new Simrad GPS/bottom scanner wasn't working. Turns out the fuse block that was original to the boat had a bunch of corrosion inside the contacts. It was abandoned and a new one installed. fast easy repair and their several thousand dollar electronic item is working again.
20230630_115036.jpg

I found the water pump for the Air Conditioning was just hanging by its hoses in the bilge and was able to order a new base plate for it. base plates are much cheaper than these water pumps and it was otherwise still functional so I got that bad boy resecured.
20230630_121758.jpg

Lastly was the float switch for the bilge pump. These caged ones are great for clean bilges but on these older ones where there is usually some immulsified oil in the low spots, it will mix with the water and make a sludge that kills these caged float switches, so a standard float switch was installed and the wires tied up nice and perty.
20230630_125256.jpg
20230630_125525.jpg

Again, sometimes its the little things that a lot of people would pay no attention to where you make a great customer and also sometimes where your margins lie on a particular job.

Anyway, excuse me while I call my customer to deliver the good news, I'm sure they'll be ecstatic to hear that the genset is working so they can use their AC this weekend out on the lake😎 it's supposed to be high 90s into 100s with high humidity.

My 4 day weekend starts now!

Last edited:

ltbaney1

Reaction score
great work. thats what i look for when pay someone to work on my stuff. if you notice something please tell me is what i tell them. perfect example, guy working on my wifes car, original estimate to replace some cam sensors was 750 all in including the oil change she was over due for. i told him take care of what ever else you notice, if it looks like its going to be over $1000.0 please give me a call before you perform the work. guy called the next day said it was done,$990 was the damage, i pick it up. he also noticed she needed front brakes, it was under the amount so he did it. he kept the old pads and rotors to show me, they actually needed to be done. something completely unrelated to why i brought it to him was checked and fixed.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
What's the amp draw on the system?

about 30-40A continuous if it's all on. I have it broken down into 4 isolated systems controlled by 2 radio channels. there is about 300ft of 10ga running to power all the fixtures individually. I probably would have been ok with 12ga sure, but I don't want these lights burning down my wiring and they are uber sensitive to voltage drop.

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Remined me do not buy a boat from TX.... Looks like Texans don't really do any maintenance unless it shits the bed.... Texas ingenuity.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Remined me do not buy a boat from TX.... Looks like Texans don't really do any maintenance unless it shits the bed.... Texas ingenuity.

some customers are better about maintenance than others. It also takes a proactive mechanic to coach them. I push preventative maintenance hard. some of my customers appreciate it, others don't stay my customers for very long. what can you do🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Done-it-again

Reaction score
some customers are better about maintenance than others. It also takes a proactive mechanic to coach them. I push preventative maintenance hard. some of my customers appreciate it, others don't stay my customers for very long. what can you 🤷‍♂️
I've been looking all around for a couple of different ocean boats (trailable) and all the ones listed in Texas are beat to shit... If I see one that is worth spending $$$ to check it out, I'll reach out out to you, but they are all on the coast.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
some customers are better about maintenance than others. It also takes a proactive mechanic to coach them. I push preventative maintenance hard. some of my customers appreciate it, others don't stay my customers for very long. what can you do🤷‍♂️
I think some costomers don't see the whole picture. They see maintenance as unnecessary, until something breaks. They cannot see the difference between prevention and repair.

With car stuff, I always do a water pump when doing the timing belt. At that point, it's an extra 10 minutes. I hate working on those type of things, cramped and complicated, so better to do it all then.

Everything a boat mechanic seems to work on, is cramped and complicated :oops:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I think some costomers don't see the whole picture. They see maintenance as unnecessary, until something breaks. They cannot see the difference between prevention and repair.

With car stuff, I always do a water pump when doing the timing belt. At that point, it's an extra 10 minutes. I hate working on those type of things, cramped and complicated, so better to do it all then.

Everything a boat mechanic seems to work on, is cramped and complicated :oops:
Aluminum houseboats are actually rather spacious! Try getting them to do maintenance as part of the repair. Usually goes something like the following.

Me: "Mr. customer, I have to do these service items that are common causes of your issue before I can be sure it isn't something else."

Customer: "Oh well we just did that, it's not that."

Me: "Are you sure? because this part has a date code of April 1994 and has overspray on it from the factory engine paint."

timstoy

Reaction score
Believe me the maintenance problems are nationwide!

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
doing some welding for a display piece today. the welds are going over paint and grease and look like shit but all they have to do is keep this thing from teetering in the wind
20230814_130912.jpg

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
doing some welding for a display piece today. the welds are going over paint and grease and look like shit but all they have to do is keep this thing from teetering in the wind View attachment 1264705
:oops:
Took me a minute...sure ain't a boat! Is it a static display type deal? Had a guy in OC that did cars and pickups for displays and retail stuff. Had done a couple for Disneyland and even some for Budweiser to go in airports. Really cool, like giant models, just had to roll.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
:oops:
Took me a minute...sure ain't a boat! Is it a static display type deal? Had a guy in OC that did cars and pickups for displays and retail stuff. Had done a couple for Disneyland and even some for Budweiser to go in airports. Really cool, like giant models, just had to roll.

ya, he's having me wire a couple strobe lights to it too and it's gonna go up on the wall by the front gate

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Here's an odd one for yall.

I had a guy whom I've never met tell me today that I needed to fill out a W9 in order to work on his boat. I politely declined and said if he needed somebody to fill out a W9 in order to work on his boat, than I probably wasn't the guy for him. Then he told me to "fuck off" and pretty much accused me of tax evasion. Ill say that's definitely a first for me.😳

Ultra...Good

Reaction score
Here's an odd one for yall.

I had a guy whom I've never met tell me today that I needed to fill out a W9 in order to work on his boat. I politely declined and said if he needed somebody to fill out a W9 in order to work on his boat, than I probably wasn't the guy for him. Then he told me to "fuck off" and pretty much accused me of tax evasion. Ill say that's definitely a first for me.😳
In all my years I have never been asked for a W9. License, insurance, performance bond, workman's comp, but never to fill out tax forms. I would walk away too. This guy is "that guy" and will be nothing but a pain in the ......

Refer him to a couple mechanics you do not like. Have a little fun with it man.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
In all my years I have never been asked for a W9. License, insurance, performance bond, workman's comp, but never to fill out tax forms. I would walk away too. This guy is "that guy" and will be nothing but a pain in the ......

Refer him to a couple mechanics you do not like. Have a little fun with it man.
ya, I was a little taken aback when I got the fuck off text. I wasn't sure if I should've been pissed or just truly baffled. That definitely sealed the deal for me tho. lol

Done-it-again

Reaction score
Perhaps he was having his business pay for the work, boat listed in a LLC?

Not sure how it all works either, but all new business customer/venders ours and there w9’s are exchanged.

Thanks Biden for taxing anything over $600.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Perhaps he was having his business pay for the work, boat listed in a LLC?

Not sure how it all works either, but all new business customer/venders ours and there w9’s are exchanged.

Thanks Biden for taxing anything over $600.

ya sorry not happening llc or not, especially not with that kind of response.

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
Remember that welding I was doing? well lights are wired up and the "sign" has been mounted. Does this technically make me an aircraft mechanic now?
20230818_155945.jpg
20230818_155732.jpg

Last edited:

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
A big day today. A VERY BIG day today. This beast is finally out of the water over a year after the start of this journey. Navigating buyer/seller, insurance surveys, lake and marina politics, lake levels, multiple businesses at the only marina that could pull it out failing, etc etc. It has been a challenge to get it to this point. 92ft long, 20ft wide, and 30ft tall. Here is where the real work begins!

20230822_073538.jpg
20230822_080658.jpg
20230822_090611.jpg
20230822_090245.jpg
20230822_092320.jpg
20230822_092810.jpg
20230822_103059.jpg
20230822_103346.jpg
20230822_110201.jpg

Last edited:

Dr Rob

Reaction score
A big day today. A VERY BIG day today. This beast is finally out of the water over a year after the start of this journey. Navigating buyer/seller, insurance surveys, marina politics, lake levels, multiple businesses at the only marina that could pull it out failing, etc etc. It has been a challenge to get it to this point. 92ft long, 20ft wide, and 30ft tall. Here is where the real work begins!

View attachment 1268116 View attachment 1268117 View attachment 1268118 View attachment 1268119 View attachment 1268120 View attachment 1268121 View attachment 1268122 View attachment 1268123 View attachment 1268124
That extendable trailer does not look happy.

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
My God! What are you going to do to it? Anything looks to be a huge project. And what is that loader, forklift, tractor thing moving it? I've only seen semis, nothing like that :oops:

clarence

Reaction score
Setting aside houseboats, any idea what's the biggest boat on the lake?

rivrrts429

Arch Stanton...
Reaction score
My God! What are you going to do to it? Anything looks to be a huge project. And what is that loader, forklift, tractor thing moving it? I've only seen semis, nothing like that :oops:

Looks like an industrial integrated tool carrier. Some really unique styles like that in the ports around Los Angeles and Houston I’ve seen. You want to find unique and purpose built machines go to the ports or mines. Trips me out when I see units like that on my travels.