WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

A day in the life of an HVAC technician

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Quite often I get to experience some pretty unusual things in my line of work. Figured I might as well start a thread and Chronicle some of them. So here goes I will be continuously updating this thread.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Yesterday as I'm getting ready to go meet with a client I walk out in our parking lot and see this guy. He pulls up in his car and completely stripped down and change his clothes right in front of our office

View attachment 391808

76 Hondo

76 Hondo
Reaction score
Fuckin prevert, peeping creep, I was just changing from my gym clothes to my work clothes

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Rockin the Volvo. [emoji106]lol.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I had to change out of my gym clothes on the way to work yesterday, figured you wouldn't mind if I used your parking lot. :D

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
You should have shoved him through the car wash.

TrollerDave

Reaction score
I don't know what's more unusual, the guy changing in the parking lot or the guy taking a picture of him.

:D

From the title of the thread, I thought I'd see something strange stuck in a blower wheel or a condenser coil.
But no, all I see is :puke:

Andy01

Reaction score
Yesterday as I'm getting ready to go meet with a client I walk out in our parking lot and see this guy. He pulls up in his car and completely stripped down and change his clothes right in front of our office

View attachment 391808

Bill while you guys may do some of the better work when it comes to Hvac, this is by far one of the better pictures of you next to your work truck.

dezertrider

Reaction score
This thread has potential

Im charging double for this

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424819169.469893.jpg

HOOTER SLED-

Supercharged MOTORBOAT!!!
Reaction score
Man...I wish I could take pics of some of the shit I see daily. :D

HgH Vltg

Reaction score
Was at my office one day, hear someone pulling into the parking area, which is hidden. I watched this guy try everything except climb on my roof and drop the wheelbarrow, trying to get a HUGE batch of dried cement out of it.

Hour later, still going. Here he is,
Flipped it upside down, smashing it with a sledge.

null_zpsb82fb03a.jpg

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I had a Sheraton airport hotel as a customer on a 5 year contract.
Amazing the non HVAC calls the desk girls would ask me to do as a favor.
They either had no one else to turn to or other employees were too busy or didn't know how to deal with the call.

One call was Carol Burnett asked for a piece of plywood between the mattress and box spring.
I found one sheet of 3/4" in a storeroom and helped her out.

Another was Kathy Rigby's shower valve needed replacing and when I replaced it and turned on the hot water she took her robe off and bare ass naked in front of me stepped into the shower.

The Pres of Channel gave me $5000 in #5 perfume as a tip for unlocking her luggage.

Reaction score
Lets not forget the most important part of being an HVAC tech...Telling customers they need overpriced parts need to replace or just replace your entire system..

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Lets not forget the most important part of being an HVAC tech...Telling customers they need overpriced parts need to replace or just replace your entire system..

If that's the case then you need to fire your contractor.

HotRod82

Reaction score

Haters be hatin'...lol.

I love it when a customer with a 10,000 square foot house and a private jet would try to tell me I was gouging him. I always responded with "you obviously don't work for free either".

Reaction score
Haters be hatin'...lol.

I love it when a customer with a 10,000 square foot house and a private jet would try to tell me I was gouging him. I always responded with "you obviously don't work for free either".

No "hate" just MY opinion. It doesn't mean it's everyone's opinion.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

Everyone wants everything for free.
If you want to keep fixing an old, electricity guzzling unit more power to ya.

You can always do it yourself and buy parts off ebay.
No ones holding a 9 to your head forcing you to do business with them.

westair

Reaction score
I've got to replace 25 ac units in these domes but the Carlsbad airport and FAA has not given me approval
for a crane, the new ac units have just been sitting now for a month ...the latest from them is I have to do
a survey of land elevations by a civil engineer .......complete BS
IMAG0194.jpg IMAG0186.jpg

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I've got to replace 25 ac units in these domes but the Carlsbad airport and FAA has not given me approval
for a crane, the new ac units have just been sitting now for a month ...the latest from them is I have to do
View attachment 407301 View attachment 407302

Even for a juice crane?
Have you gone in person and explained the situation?

TCHB

Reaction score
Are the covers for looks or something else?

72Hondo

Reaction score
And people say residential is a pain. Lol

No joke. We waited 4/5 months for permits for a crane at DFW airport to put in 2 units. Complete pain in the ass.

Now we have some fancy hi tech until that only one company can work on because it's their software and what not. I think it's an 8 ton Aaon unit. We call our HVAC company they come out, say it's not a mechanical problem and to call the other guys cause "we can't touch it".

dezertrider

Reaction score

Looks like a lot of leg work to get that one done. I see a few change orders for that job

dezertrider

Reaction score
No joke. We waited 4/5 months for permits for a crane at DFW airport to put in 2 units. Complete pain in the ass.

Now we have some fancy hi tech until that only one company can work on because it's there software and what not. I think it's an 8 ton Aaon until. We call our HVAC company they come out, say it's not a mechanical problem and to call the other guys cause "we can't touch it".

And the controls guys charge twice as much then the mechanical guys

72Hondo

Reaction score
And the controls guys charge twice as much then the mechanical guys

Best part is when the control guys say we've fixed our part now the mechanical guys need to fix there's. Try scheduling both companies at the same when their both blaming each other's work.

HotRod82

Reaction score

I've done some work there, over on the jetsource side, albeit 10 years ago. Back then we didn't even try to put up a crane, all airports hate them. We called Blackhawk and had the chopper drop them for us. I live for jobs with a high PITA factor, not everyone can do it so the price goes up exponentially!

Jed-O

Shitter was full!
Reaction score
With all of this contractor talk. I think we need to start a poll on how many inmates are contractors.

Great thread by the way!:thumbsup

westair

Reaction score
And people say residential is a pain. Lol

There are no easy jobs in this business, residential or commercial ..... I remember getting advice from the old veterans when bidding, whatever your bids are double it and you should be good! ...lol

Even for a juice crane?
Have you gone in person and explained the situation?

I used to be able to just call directly to the tower, they would look at the weather outside and say your good to go .... now no more calling, I have to contact the FAA by mail, they aren't even on site.

Are the covers for looks or something else?

City codes to hide the AC equipment if it can be seen from 5 ft up at 500 ft away.

Looks like a lot of leg work to get that one done. I see a few change orders for that job

I can only hope on this one, my deal is directly with the owner who is a cool guy but a businessman. Kind of a gray area for sure.

lakemadness

Grobe Bruste Bitte
Reaction score
Haters be hatin'...lol.

He didn't get that 10,000 square foot house and private jet by paying too much for something just cause he had the money. Just sayin

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Depending on what happens its definitely something I have to consider.

Once it's on the roof it's then moving the unit and getting it on the curb/plenum.
They are ass kicking heavy.
I've tried a crew of slaves musclefucking it into position this type situation and it's a MoFo deluxe and tears everything up.

A crane is one shot set and forget.