WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Your thoughts on Wakeboard Boats?

River Runner

Reaction score
I have an oppurtunity to buy a 2005 MB sport with 50 hours on it with every bell and whistle you could want (including a heater) for a pretty deep deal compartively they cost used right now. However, I am not a wake board boat type of guy, but my wife loves it. :cool: So i have a couple of questions for those who have a wake board boat or expierence with them.

1. If there is no dock space at Road Runner where do you park/dock it?

2. Can you take it all the way to the damn from down river without worrying about the prop?

3. I have a 1991 21' Ultra Bowrider with a 454, berk jet. Am I going to regret this decision to sell mine and buy a wake board boat? The Ultra was my starter boat, bought it about 3 years ago, and have been looking to buy a new boat recently. Any thoughts or opinions on these boats or even just selling mine for one would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe.

454Rocket

I thought RDSUX?
Reaction score
Does it have 14 speakers on the roll-bar? If not I'd pass...

Seriously, unless you actually wakeboard they are slow as hell and way too much $$ IMO

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have an oppurtunity to buy a 2005 MB sport with 50 hours on it with every bell and whistle you could want (including a heater) for a pretty deep deal compartively they cost used right now. However, I am not a wake board boat type of guy, but my wife loves it. :cool: So i have a couple of questions for those who have a wake board boat or expierence with them.

2. Can you take it all the way to the damn from down river without worrying about the prop?

3. I have a 1991 21' Ultra Bowrider with a 454, berk jet. Am I going to regret this decision to sell mine and buy a wake board boat? The Ultra was my starter boat, bought it about 3 years ago, and have been looking to buy a new boat recently. Any thoughts or opinions on these boats or even just selling mine for one would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe.

Just my opinions..

On Question # 1. Where would you park any boat in that situation? You can either gently beach it, or anchor it.

# 2. If you know the river, no problems.

3. Given the choice between your Ultra and that MB Sports I would take the wakeboat all day long. They are remarkable party platforms, people haulers.. they just ride rough is all..

I like wakeboats quite a bit (if used responsibly), I just don't like it when they are towing a beginner and feel the need to run all the ballast for no reason.. Or when they make massive wakes when not towing anyone for no reason.

On that note, I'm strongly considering adding a tow boat section to this site.. I think if we get some wakeboat owners on here, and talking with some hotboat owners.. We all might learn a little something about each other, and it would go along ways towards making everyone happier on the water ways.

RD

Crazyhippy

Haters gonna Hate
Reaction score
My wife wants one too... They rock for towing people around, and holding a lot of people and gear. The are social boats for sure.

They are slow. They ride like crap, and (w/ the right stereo,) they are way louder than they should be. Just like a jetboat:skull:eek:uttahere:

Director...
Reaction score
On that note, I'm strongly considering adding a tow boat section to this site.. I think if we get some wakeboat owners on here, and talking with some hotboat owners.. We all might learn a little something about each other, and it would go along ways towards making everyone happier on the water ways.

RD

:rotflmao:

rodney-king1.jpg

River Runner

Reaction score
My ultra rides awesome when there is not a ton of wake but on big weekends it is obviously not that nice of a ride. Will the wake board boat be worse then my ultra?

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score

Thanks,

Joe.

If you're really into Wakeboarding and the boat is at a firesale price consider it.
They rarely go faster than 43 MPH regardless of what people brag about so if that speed is slow you're gonna get bored real quick.

I understand from reading the WB forums Malibu hasn't designed a new bottom to their hull in over 27 years so it's why they are more bagged and run plows.
That get's mentioned often and no one disputes it , damfino how accurate that it.

It's no problem going to the dam just watch the river level no matter what kinda boat you are in.

If the docks are taken at the RR ya come back later. Good place to get your gellcoat jazzed.

Before you buy, get your best price, and you may be able to get a new Tige' with a 3 year warranty and a glass dashboard w/ Perfect Pass for the same money or near the same money.

Tige's have a superb, smooth ride and sharp handling.
No wakeboard boat back up worth a crap.

Ya beach them,, ya stand a good chance of prop damage, but some people do it seems.

Just my take and free advise is worth what you paid for it,, especially mine.

Last edited:

Director...
Reaction score
Hey to take over the boating world here, we're gonna have to let some of the other kids in to play.. know what I'm sayin? :D

RD

................noted...:grumble:

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
As a jet boat lifer, my current boat is a Mastercraft wakeboard boat. My family and I are in love with the boat, it does everything excellent. It really makes for fun time on the water, my wife and kids love to drive it. If you love the smell of gas and love to haul ass it might not be for you. good luck..

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
JBB, TBI, as you can see they are already here and get along fine for the most part.. why not have more of em? :D

RD

coz

-------------------
Reaction score
If you're really into Wakeboarding and the boat is at a firesale price consider it.
They rarely go faster than 43 MPH regardless of what people brag about so if that speed is slow you're gonna get bored real quick.

I understand from reading the WB forums Malibu hasn't designed a new hull in over 37 years so it's why they are more bagged and run plows.
That get's mentioned often and no one disputes it , damfino how accurate that it.

It's no problem going to the dam just watch the river level no matter what kinda boat you are in.

If the docks are taken ar the RR ya come back later. Good place to get your gellcoat jazzed.

Before you buy, get your best price, and you may be able to get a new Tige' with a 3 year warranty and a glass dashboard w/ Perfect Pass for the same money or near the same money.

Tige's have a superb, smooth ride and sharp handling.
No wakeboard boat back up worth a crap.

Just my take and free advise is worth what you paid for it,, especially mine.

Malibu has designed new hulls in it's 27 years :bash: and he said a 2005 MB Sport which isn't Malibu http://www.mbsports.net/ :D

MB's are nice boats and been around for a little while and as ski Brendella back in the day. Go for it dude!

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Malibu has designed new hulls in it's 27 years :bash: and he said a 2005 MB Sport which isn't Malibu http://www.mbsports.net/ :D

MB's are nice boats and been around for a little while and as ski Brendella back in the day. Go for it dude!

I stand corrected. ;):thumbsup;)
I read over the post fast and for some reason thinking Malibu.

The MB's are really nice.
If the price is right,, it might be for you.

The WBW argument with Malibu I've read is they haven't invested in a new bottom design like most the other builders.
New boats yes, but with the same 27 year old obsolete bottom theory, hence the horrible ride, and all the hardware just to be able to put up a wake.

All I know is what I read in the trades.

Last edited:

OCMerrill

All in...
Reaction score
JBB, TBI, as you can see they are already here and get along fine for the most part.. why not have more of em? :D

RD

Year right. Like with the Jet Boat peeps. :boobeyes::skull:champagne:

I just may not renew my subscription when it comes due.

:D

Pushnwood

Reaction score
I have had many tournament/wakeboard boats & when the water is flat they are great! When it gets choppy you will hate it, your passengers in the back seat will get soaked(not bad when its hot out) & everyone in the front will have to go see a chiropractor at the end of the day.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
Plus other boaters will hate you. :D

I have had many tournament/wakeboard boats & when the water is flat they are great! When it gets choppy you will hate it, your passengers in the back seat will get soaked(not bad when its hot out) & everyone in the front will have to go see a chiropractor at the end of the day.

coz

-------------------
Reaction score

Todays v-drive wake boats ride very nice compaired to a tournement boat, there's more beam and deeper v :thumbsup

Attachments

• aa.jpg
    aa.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 318

Reaction score
Sell out:grumble::grumble::grumble::D

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Wake board boats= expensive dock repair and chiropractor visits. :skull

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Wake board boats= expensive dock repair and chiropractor visits. :skull

You come Ride with us this summer DJ. :thumbsup
We have a wide beam 22i, deep V,, displacement, convex hull.
Superb ride even in the serious chop.

You'll love driving it :thumbsup:thumbsup

I'd be interested in your take. ;)

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
You come Ride with us this summer DJ. :thumbsup
We have a wide beam 22i, deep V,, displacement, convex hull.
Superb ride even in the serious chop.

You'll love driving it :thumbsup:thumbsup

I'd be interested in your take. ;)

I've ridden in a couple different ones. All rode like shit. I do like how they have room and do seem to be great to party on. I just hate that they are slow as hell beat the hell out of me.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I would have to say all the people saying they ride like shit obviously dont know what they are talking about. the older Tourney boats definitely rode like shit due to the fact they were basically a flat bottom. but the newer V-drive wakeboard boats ride much better. they are designed to plow through the water and hold a ton of poeple. On big weekends I actually prefer putting the wakeboard boat in the water vs the Stoker. they are not fast though, but if you are the party, who cares how long it takes to get to your destination. The best way to describe a wakeboard boat IMO is that they are the Ford taurus of the water, comfortable, full of bells and whistles, ride good, get good mileage, very family friendly, anybody can pretty mcuh drive one....but you wont be turning any heads in one.

Dan Lorenze

Reaction score
I would have to say all the people saying they ride like shit obviously dont know what they are talking about. the older Tourney boats definitely rode like shit due to the fact they were basically a flat bottom. but the newer V-drive wakeboard boats ride much better. they are designed to plow through the water and hold a ton of poeple. On big weekends I actually prefer putting the wakeboard boat in the water vs the Stoker. they are not fast though, but if you are the party, who cares how long it takes to get to your destination. The best way to describe a wakeboard boat IMO is that they are the Ford taurus of the water, comfortable, full of bells and whistles, ride good, get good mileage, very family friendly, anybody can pretty mcuh drive one....but you wont be turning any heads in one.

Excellent post..... :thumbsup

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score

My mom owned a ford Taurus once. What a piece of shit that was. :skull

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score

RDsB-day036.jpg

RDsB-day033.jpg

mbrown2

Reaction score

RD

:thumbsup

On the other hand, rumor has it a battleship x80 w/twin vdrives with 4k of ballast pulling some butterball pulling a backside rotation 1080 started this incident below....before the durf, he was constipation face while chargin the wake!:)

attachment.php

mbrown2

Reaction score
I understand from reading the WB forums Malibu hasn't designed a new hull in over 27 years so it's why they are more bagged and run plows.

That must be that new website

www.idontknowjackshitaboutmalibuwakeboardboats.com

I don't know much about that site, but there are couple of other sites that will show you they have redesigned the 20, 21, 22(new boat), 23, 24 all in the last 6 years.....that's more new models than most Custom manufactures in the same time....Mastercraft has also introduced at least the same number of new models in the same timeframe. :)

Pushnwood

Reaction score
Todays v-drive wake boats ride very nice compaired to a tournement boat, there's more beam and deeper v :thumbsup

Nice set up! I have always thought that I need three boats, The Tow Boat, The GoFast Boat and The Pontoon. In a perfect world this would all be in a 4000 sq. ft. garage. Someday?

Sharp Shooter

The "anti-yuppie"
Reaction score
I like wakeboats quite a bit (if used responsibly),

I'm strongly considering adding a tow boat section to this site.. I think if we get some wakeboat owners on here, and talking with some hotboat owners.. We all might learn a little something about each other, and it would go along ways towards making everyone happier on the water ways.

RD

Jeeeeesus.... what's next, a fishing section? lol...:D

LB247XS

Reaction score
My ultra rides awesome when there is not a ton of wake but on big weekends it is obviously not that nice of a ride. Will the wake board boat be worse then my ultra?

yes iused to own 1 for a short time ,best choice i made to sell it,just buy a bigger ultra like my 247xs,plenty of room and rough water no problem.i pull my kids wakeboarding and the tube all day long:cool::cool:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
That must be that new website

www.idontknowjackshitaboutmalibuwakeboardboats.com

I don't know much about that site, but there are couple of other sites that will show you they have redesigned the 20, 21, 22(new boat), 23, 24 all in the last 6 years.....that's more new models than most Custom manufactures in the same time....Mastercraft has also introduced at least the same number of new models in the same timeframe. :)

Mike, if you're naive enough to part with your money and fall for Malibu's Old Vodka in new bottles with bold new graphics & name then more power to ya.

No, I don't know jack shit about Malibu other than the argument their bottom hull designs haven't changed is what we were led to believe when we shopped Wakeboard boats in 2007, and read about them in WBW, and our Malibu Boat owning friends concurred.

Sure, new lengths, bold new graphics, but in addition, the Malibu brochure we read (and in their advertising that year) they defended their 27 year old old bottom hull design and argued against the newer bottom designs by Mastercraft, Tige and a few others.
Malibus ride and handle like shit (the models we were interested in), ya have to MASSIVE bag them and use BIG stern plows and spades to get any sort of wake in the models we were interested in.

That's why we narrowed it to Tige and Supra.
Great ride, wakes and fun to drive as delivered.

They did what we wanted with no add ons, no bags and the Malibu test rides were harsh.
Brutal.

Our only argument with Mastercraft is their high price vs re-sale.

Last edited:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
I've ridden in a couple different ones. All rode like shit. I do like how they have room and do seem to be great to party on. I just hate that they are slow as hell beat the hell out of me.

Ours rides nice, it'll change your mind when ya take the wheel.

djunkie

Broke mo fo
Reaction score
Ours rides nice, it'll change your mind when ya take the wheel.

Enough to make me sell the Schiada to get one? ;) Nothing in that size will ride as good as my Howard did. I'm spoiled.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Enough to make me sell the Schiada to get one? ;) Nothing in that size will ride as good as my Howard did. I'm spoiled.

NO, god sakes no.

If I could get outta the Wakeboard boat family and buy a new Eliminator I would choose the later in a heartbeat.
We have a WB boat for the kids. It's our family recreation.

My point is we bought for ride comfort, and don't need any gizmos to get a good wake.
Kinda of a SUV family van for the water I guess.

I'd much rather have a performance boat, or just say fuck it all and get a pontoon.

Last edited:

badluck

Reaction score
We bought 1 last year and I don't regret it. If you can handle the slow part and the fact that they only turn right in reverse, they 're alot of fun. It would be a much better family boat. We got tired of being crowded with only 4 people in the boat.The wb easily hold 10. The v drives are really crappy for skiing. Keep that in mind. I think most boats will be crappy for skiing coming from a Stoker though. If you can keep them both until mid summer see which 1 you like then sell. Or keep them both::D

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
We bought 1 last year and I don't regret it. If you can handle the slow part and the fact that they only turn right in reverse, they 're alot of fun. It would be a much better family boat. We got tired of being crowded with only 4 people in the boat.The wb easily hold 10. The v drives are really crappy for skiing. Keep that in mind. I think most boats will be crappy for skiing coming from a Stoker though. If you can keep them both until mid summer see which 1 you like then sell. Or keep them both::D

Yep, it pays to get some tutoring from someone with some experience in backing and docking,, and patience.

DRIVE BYE

Reaction score
Its always nice to have a roll bar boat in the group. but, the owners are generally frustrated as a whole ( 42mph tops?) they are bittersweet, everything is purposed built in my world. gotta have 2 or 3 of eveything!:boobeyes:

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
Its always nice to have a roll bar boat in the group. but, the owners are generally frustrated as a whole ( 42mph tops?) they are bittersweet, everything is purposed built in my world. gotta have 2 or 3 of eveything!:boobeyes:

If I WD 40 my speedo pick up wheel it registers 48 MPH,, does that help?