WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

XR-SSM drives and Cleaver props?????

THE Cat Sass

Reaction score
Need to tap the brain trust here. Contemplating moving to a set of the Merc "600 hp" cleavers for my sled. I'm out of pitch with 34 Max-5's and I don't love the gearing with 1.25's. I've heard good things about the Merc cleavers but haven't heard many folks slapping them on XR's? I have 2" short SSM's with ITS. Thoughts?

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
Need to tap the brain trust here. Contemplating moving to a set of the Merc "600 hp" cleavers for my sled. I'm out of pitch with 34 Max-5's and I don't love the gearing with 1.25's. I've heard good things about the Merc cleavers but haven't heard many folks slapping them on XR's? I have 2" short SSM's with ITS. Thoughts?

Here’s what I’ll say on this, I don’t have big HP like you do, so take it for what it’s worth.

We have REALLY good air and water compared to the masses of this forum where we live. I know you’re asking about a prop style, but you’ll have to form somewhat of your own hypothesis of what will actually work compared to many of the answers.

PDX poker run a few years ago I had the pleasure of sitting with a couple real poker run “teams” who have ran all over the country, and it was really interesting to talk to them about how they setup their boats for our area compared to other places.

THE Cat Sass

Reaction score
Thanks for the response and agreed. I think the performance of the cleavers at least from mid-top end is a known commodity and if you're running a -6 drive or outboards there a no-brainer. I just don't ever hear anyone running them on twin cats with XR's. I hate to be a guinea pig. :)

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Is there a reason you do not want to go to 36 pitch Bravo props? I ran them on my cat and they worked perfect. Much less vibration than my 30 or 32 pitch Bravos and an awesome mid range cruise.

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
Btw. 36 p and 1.35 gears gets ya well into the 130’s.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Here’s what I’ll say on this, I don’t have big HP like you do, so take it for what it’s worth.

We have REALLY good air and water compared to the masses of this forum where we live. I know you’re asking about a prop style, but you’ll have to form somewhat of your own hypothesis of what will actually work compared to many of the answers.

PDX poker run a few years ago I had the pleasure of sitting with a couple real poker run “teams” who have ran all over the country, and it was really interesting to talk to them about how they setup their boats for our area compared to other places.

where are you at?

THE Cat Sass

Reaction score
I'm in Portland. I tried a set of labbed 36 Bravo-1's and for whatever reason it didn't like 'em. They had a distinct vibration to them and it didn't gain anything on the top. It runs right on the limiter with the 34 Max-5's at 128. I'm thinking of 37x15.25 with the cleavers. Maybe I just got a funky set of 36's....may need to have 1 more go with a set of those.

Unfortunately 128 is too damn close to 130 to not F*#& with it. LOL!

Reactions: DWC

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
I would definitely give another set of 36’s a try. Maybe a prop shop will do the trial deal like BBlades used to. They will certainly have a higher top speed number than the max 5 . Might just need to have them dialed in by the right shop ???? As for the SSM cleavers, I think a lot would have to do with overall diameter. I know a lot of them are larger diameter than a standard Bravo. So clearance may be a factor.

n2otoofast4u

Reaction score
where are you at?

We are both near Portland Oregon. Portland International Airport is 30’ above sea level, the Columbia where we run is damn near 30’ below that. I think the Columbia is listed at .6 or .5 feet ASL in the Portland/Vancouver area. There are LOTS of times that true density altitude puts us below sea level.

These guys wanting to post big speed should show it here, not the desert.

Lord M((Squared))

Reaction score
I have been running a couple different clever's on my xr for the last couple seasons and was one of the boats who did the pre production testing on the 600hp clever. For me it wasn't speed or performance reasons for moving to a clever {Both being a bonus gain}, it was because I was throwing blades on props left and right. All total I broke 5 props and tore blades on 2 others. My X dimension is pretty high and the prop blades were slapping the water causing them to fail and fail very quickly if the prop had been labbed. I can say after two seasons I've not had a single issue with either clevers or the outdrive {my clevers include one being the 600hp 5 blade, and one being a custom one off 6 blade clever). I can't say enough good things about the 600hp clever, it's just plain awesome. But like anything in the performance boating world there is a tradeoff in that you will need to replace the drive gear lube in much shorter intervals than you do now if you don't want to window your XR drive! How long between really depends on how you run your boat. I'm not abusive but not easy on it by any means. I'd always check the gear lube for smell and discoloration after each time out and could easily tell if it was time for a swap. Eventually I just swapped after every 3 to 5 times out because of my paranoia from all the horror stories of blown xr drives and had no issues. I just had Max Machine Worx do a complete build on the drive only for peace of mind and maybe for a future hp gain coming shortly. I have all the original shafts and gears that came out and was shocked they were still in good condition and may use them in the future if i build a spare outdrive. PM me if you haven't spoken to Nick Peterson with Mercury Racing and I can help you with that. LoL poor Nick and Scott {who just retired} had to endure my constant begging for a clever option but they came thru which speaks volumes to the type of company Mercury Racing is. In the end for me the amount of money I was spending on Max 5's a season easily covered the initial cost of the Clever, so in other words I was tired of having expensive wall art and not having a prop to go boating.

THE Cat Sass

Reaction score
I have been running a couple different clever's on my xr for the last couple seasons and was one of the boats who did the pre production testing on the 600hp clever. For me it wasn't speed or performance reasons for moving to a clever {Both being a bonus gain}, it was because I was throwing blades on props left and right. All total I broke 5 props and tore blades on 2 others. My X dimension is pretty high and the prop blades were slapping the water causing them to fail and fail very quickly if the prop had been labbed. I can say after two seasons I've not had a single issue with either clevers or the outdrive {my clevers include one being the 600hp 5 blade, and one being a custom one off 6 blade clever). I can't say enough good things about the 600hp clever, it's just plain awesome. But like anything in the performance boating world there is a tradeoff in that you will need to replace the drive gear lube in much shorter intervals than you do now if you don't want to window your XR drive! How long between really depends on how you run your boat. I'm not abusive but not easy on it by any means. I'd always check the gear lube for smell and discoloration after each time out and could easily tell if it was time for a swap. Eventually I just swapped after every 3 to 5 times out because of my paranoia from all the horror stories of blown xr drives and had no issues. I just had Max Machine Worx do a complete build on the drive only for peace of mind and maybe for a future hp gain coming shortly. I have all the original shafts and gears that came out and was shocked they were still in good condition and may use them in the future if i build a spare outdrive. PM me if you haven't spoken to Nick Peterson with Mercury Racing and I can help you with that. LoL poor Nick and Scott {who just retired} had to endure my constant begging for a clever option but they came thru which speaks volumes to the type of company Mercury Racing is. In the end for me the amount of money I was spending on Max 5's a season easily covered the initial cost of the Clever, so in other words I was tired of having expensive wall art and not having a prop to go boating.
-Great stuff - I failed to mention I've eaten 2 of the labbed Max-5's as well. To Mercury's credit they have warrantied both of them. As of December they have apparently re-tooled those props with a little additional meat in them. For me in the NW we typically log around 20 hours in a full boating season so it's an annual drive oil change but if I had to do a mid-season swap that wouldn't bother me at all...I have it down like a NASCAR pit crew. Good to hear your XR is holding up - I hear from Mercury (I've had several chats with Nick as well) the cleavers can be tough on prop shafts and carriers so that's a little bit of a concern. I sounds like we drive similar...I'm a 40mph cruiser probably 90% of the time. Appreciate the feedback!!

2droppedchevs

Reaction score
I tried a Hill 34p 15° last year before changing everything. My drive was too low and not enough rake on the prop. It got sketchy over 85, felt like it wanted to bury the left sponson. It worked fine other than that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210330-072827.png
    Screenshot_20210330-072827.png
    690.4 KB · Views: 125

Lord M((Squared))

Reaction score
-Great stuff - I failed to mention I've eaten 2 of the labbed Max-5's as well. To Mercury's credit they have warrantied both of them. As of December they have apparently re-tooled those props with a little additional meat in them. For me in the NW we typically log around 20 hours in a full boating season so it's an annual drive oil change but if I had to do a mid-season swap that wouldn't bother me at all...I have it down like a NASCAR pit crew. Good to hear your XR is holding up - I hear from Mercury (I've had several chats with Nick as well) the cleavers can be tough on prop shafts and carriers so that's a little bit of a concern. I sounds like we drive similar...I'm a 40mph cruiser probably 90% of the time. Appreciate the feedback!!
Hp and weight your pushing is a big factor....the XR's prop shafts are a definite failure point. I think that if your not quick on the sticks and allow that prop to free spin then the prop hits the water coming down and the prop shafts can't handle that force and they just fail.,,,,,,and your loose an expensive prop. I didn't want the added weight of an SCX or #6 drive hanging off the back. The SV29 is super sensitive to weight and already I've got a swim platform bolted on the back and adding a metric ton of sound system weight {140+db JL Hertz kicker and focal} doesn't help that whole weight reduction theory.. LoL danny from OL txt me asking if the boat still floats.......which it does and still a sold triple digit single even during a 100+ degree typical summer Havasu Dayi LMAO I too just putt around on the water much like yourself 👇

👍

Lord M((Squared))

Reaction score
I tried a Hill 34p 15° last year before changing everything. My drive was too low and not enough rake on the prop. It got sketchy over 85, felt like it wanted to bury the left sponson. It worked fine other than that.
The pucker factor must have been priceless....stuffing a sponson never ends well, lmao but your reply of "other than that it was good"......🤣🤣yea you understand.......love itt👊

THE Cat Sass

Reaction score
The prop shaft scenario does worry me a little but I know Max Machine makes several upgraded parts that would (should) address that issue...then I just need to chase the failure somewhere else. :)

MK1MOD0

Reaction score
The prop shaft scenario does worry me a little but I know Max Machine makes several upgraded parts that would (should) address that issue...then I just need to chase the failure somewhere else. :)

Yep. That’s exactly what happens with the Bravos. like ya said MMW does make some very nice parts, if you upgrade before anything breaks, it’s not too costly. I’m really curious to know how Cleavers would work for ya. Not a small investment, but I’m guessing they do lay down some good numbers. And......... they look bad ass.

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
Switch to SCX drives and you can order them with the correct prop shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lord M((Squared))

Reaction score
Switch to SCX drives and you can order them with the correct prop shaft.

I had considered going that direction but the weight penalty and cost were enough to have me try the MMW route first. I wanted to ask you if you remember the name of the company that produced a bravo style drive with built internals and had a fairly hefty price tag..;.I want to say Bill Auberlen was involved in some way and has a pair on his spector cat.....do you remember it by chance?? I just remember talking to a guy that had experience with them and him saying it was actually really good but stupid expensive and being produced in a limited capacity was scaring people off at the time. LoL I just remember seeing a pic of one and it having a carbon fiber style case, so being the carbon whore I am I'd love to find one of those drives 🤣

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
I had considered going that direction but the weight penalty and cost were enough to have me try the MMW route first. I wanted to ask you if you remember the name of the company that produced a bravo style drive with built internals and had a fairly hefty price tag..;.I want to say Bill Auberlen was involved in some way and has a pair on his spector cat.....do you remember it by chance?? I just remember talking to a guy that had experience with them and him saying it was actually really good but stupid expensive and being produced in a limited capacity was scaring people off at the time. LoL I just remember seeing a pic of one and it having a carbon fiber style case, so being the carbon whore I am I'd love to find one of those drives 🤣
They were called “XPower or XDrive”

Just looked it up, was “X Power Drive”

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
I had considered going that direction but the weight penalty and cost were enough to have me try the MMW route first. I wanted to ask you if you remember the name of the company that produced a bravo style drive with built internals and had a fairly hefty price tag..;.I want to say Bill Auberlen was involved in some way and has a pair on his spector cat.....do you remember it by chance?? I just remember talking to a guy that had experience with them and him saying it was actually really good but stupid expensive and being produced in a limited capacity was scaring people off at the time. LoL I just remember seeing a pic of one and it having a carbon fiber style case, so being the carbon whore I am I'd love to find one of those drives [emoji1787]

Jeff? I don’t think I ever saw any used besides on that Spectre. Looked like a pretty decent alternative, I think they were very pricey though.

Lord M((Squared))

Reaction score
They were called “XPower or XDrive”

Just looked it up, was “X Power Drive”
Yep that's it...thank you because I couldn't remember it to save my life.
Jeff? I don’t think I ever saw any used besides on that Spectre. Looked like a pretty decent alternative, I think they were very pricey though.

They were super pricey at the time. I can't remember the guy's name who was telling me about the drives, he was from Lake of the Ozarks and there were a couple boats that had them on there. I need to ask Thane at Nordic sometime because I think they put one on a 28ss.

02HoWaRd26

DCBroke
Reaction score
Yep that's it...thank you because I couldn't remember it to save my life.

They were super pricey at the time. I can't remember the guy's name who was telling me about the drives, he was from Lake of the Ozarks and there were a couple boats that had them on there. I need to ask Thane at Nordic sometime because I think they put one on a 28ss.
From what i recall 8-10 years ago there was one on a Magic deck, a Nordic Thor, the Spectre and a few others. I want to recall there were 10 or so out there. A buddy was supposed to get a set we spent some time with Bill than my buddy just dropped the ball, believe it was the financial side even tho it was cheaper than rebuilding his Bravo based drives.