WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Worlds Fastest Waterskier..............1962

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
In one of my earlier post's about the worlds fastest boat, I mentioned Lee Taylor, the boat driver. He held the world record for the 1/4 mile on a waterski at something like 86 or 88 mph. I think it was in 1962, at Long Beach Marine Stadium, Butch Peterson went thru at 106 mph, behind I think Barry McGowan in "Banzai" I could be wrong on the boat & driver but I do remember it was 106 mph. This is a photo of me with Butch at the Parker ski races in 1962, I won the men's open class that weekend :eek: Now if you're wondering, how the hell could that scrawny 14 year old little shit beat this guy in a ski race :hmm
It was EASY.........................................I was the only one of 8 that didn't crash & burn :D:D:D Butch came down to congratulate me on the win :beer He was a real class act :cool: He was also a world class tournament skier, trick, jump & slalom. Chuckie Stearns was the next record holder at 118 and then Danny Churchill ( he invented the "knee-ski" ) went thru at 128 mph. I have no idea what the record is today, could'nt find anything for flat out speed in the measured 1/4 mile.

Attachments

• me & Butch.jpg
    me & Butch.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,482

Wheeler

I'm just here to bitch about others negativity.😁
Reaction score
Nice story and picture, do you know the Bartons?

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
That's a great picture of butch, Danny Churchil is an absolutely amazing skier, he taught me to ski when i was about 5 years old, i've know him for as long as i can remember, he is beyond a nice guy. That guy does some shit on a ski that blows the mind. I think Craig Wendt was the next record holder after dany at around 130, unbelievable stuff....

R

Retired Member

Churchill sitll skis, I saw him out doing helos a year or so ago behind his Hallett. I positive the speed is into the 130s. The Aussies are running 125+ down the straights in the Bridge 2 Bridge races/ Baker Blitz, that's doubled up.

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
Nice story and picture, do you know the Bartons?
Ray, Maggie & Sandy.....................my Dad pulled Maggie back in the day. We were just talking about her at the dinner table last night. She was one of the top skiers in her class and she can't swim a STROKE :eek:
that sure did'nt slow her down any :thumbsup Are you in touch with them ?

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
That's a great picture of butch, Danny Churchil is an absolutely amazing skier, he taught me to ski when i was about 5 years old, i've know him for as long as i can remember, he is beyond a nice guy. That guy does some shit on a ski that blows the mind. I think Craig Wendt was the next record holder after dany at around 130, unbelievable stuff....
Danny ever tell you the story about his crash at Long Beach, when he got tangled up in the shroud lines of his parachute? Me & Rick Cowles & Tim Guckes went to see him in the hospital :eek: we didn't think he was gonna make it out.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Ray, Maggie & Sandy.....................my Dad pulled Maggie back in the day. We were just talking about her at the dinner table last night. She was one of the top skiers in her class and she can't swim a STROKE :eek:
that sure did'nt slow her down any :thumbsup Are you in touch with them ?

I have not seen them in years, my brother most likely has seen Ray. Ray used to do tricks for us when we were young and all the boys had a crush on Sandy! They used hang with a group my parents were involved in, the "ski and pee club". The Johnson's (Carl's parents) live down the street from me.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Danny ever tell you the story about his crash at Long Beach, when he got tangled up in the shroud lines of his parachute? Me & Rick Cowles & Tim Guckes went to see him in the hospital :eek: we didn't think he was gonna make it out.

I was not there when it happened, I do remember the photos in the magazine, kinda makes me queazy thinking about it. I was at ski land the first time a drag boat used a parachute, it pulled the transom off.

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
I have not seen them in years, my brother most likely has seen Ray. Ray used to do tricks for us when we were young and all the boys had a crush on Sandy! They used hang with a group my parents were involved in, the "ski and pee club". The Johnson's (Carl's parents) live down the street from me.
You have ANY luck getting that pic of your Dad from ski land ? I had my Pops in front of the computer a couple days ago showing him the photo's. Said he remebered "The Woodpecker" from many outings at Perris and Long Beach

Wheeler

Reaction score
You have ANY luck getting that pic of your Dad from ski land ? I had my Pops in front of the computer a couple days ago showing him the photo's. Said he remebered "The Woodpecker" from many outings at Perris and Long Beach

Here is what Bob Foley had to say ...

"Don Edwards and Barry McCown are working with Bob Silva (a writer) on a "Coffee table book" on drag boat racing at Perris in the 1960s. It will have color photos and they have borrowed several of my photos for possible inclusion. It is due out later this year."

"I hope to get them back this summer. Should they not come back, I have a good one of the "Woodpecker" safe at home."

I will contact him this summer and find out more about the book.

One day I would like to meet up with you while you are in Parker.

Wheeler

djhartley2003

Reaction score
I have not heard the name Chuck Stearns in a long time. My grand parents used to have a place at the salt and see. My mom used to date him and get in trouble for sneaking him out late at night when his dad said he was in training. She told me that he thought my uncle to water ski and still has pictures of them. there is one of my uncle on Chucks shoulders going past the beach on a single ski. I will see if i can find them and get them posted.

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
Here is what Bob Foley had to say ...

"Don Edwards and Barry McCown are working with Bob Silva (a writer) on a "Coffee table book" on drag boat racing at Perris in the 1960s. It will have color photos and they have borrowed several of my photos for possible inclusion. It is due out later this year."

"I hope to get them back this summer. Should they not come back, I have a good one of the "Woodpecker" safe at home."

I will contact him this summer and find out more about the book.

One day I would like to meet up with you while you are in Parker.

Wheeler

I'll be up for the flat bottom regata the 12th & 13th . My Pop's gonna stay here in Calif. for an xtra 2 weeks :D so he wont miss the races. My cell # is (951) 440 6584. PM me your contact info. If we miss, Pop will have his motorhome ( it's got Idaho plates ) parked RIGHT AT THE 1st TURN

Wheeler

Reaction score
I'll be up for the flat bottom regata the 12th & 13th . My Pop's gonna stay here in Calif. for an xtra 2 weeks :D so he wont miss the races. My cell # is (951) 440 6584. PM me your contact info. If we miss, Pop will have his motorhome ( it's got Idaho plates ) parked RIGHT AT THE 1st TURN

Is that this month? I am not sure when I will return to Az., I have a friend who wants to bring his Mandella Mid Deck out and try to sell it. I will give you a call when I get back to Parker.

River Lynchmob

What can I do to u for u?
Reaction score
Churchill sitll skis, I saw him out doing helos a year or so ago behind his Hallett. I positive the speed is into the 130s. The Aussies are running 125+ down the straights in the Bridge 2 Bridge races/ Baker Blitz, that's doubled up.

If I remember correctly it is like 156 and is held by an Aussie and his name slips my mind right now. I wll check into it.

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
I have not heard the name Chuck Stearns in a long time. My grand parents used to have a place at the salt and see. My mom used to date him and get in trouble for sneaking him out late at night when his dad said he was in training. She told me that he thought my uncle to water ski and still has pictures of them. there is one of my uncle on Chucks shoulders going past the beach on a single ski. I will see if i can find them and get them posted.

Chuck had a ski school there in the 60's. Me & a couple of my pals spent some time there one summer. Chuck's dad, Bill, was "ALL BUSINESS" when it came to doing any fun stuff:rolleyes: We got caught sneaking back in one night from a run over to Bombay hot springs, the next morning the 'ol man had us up BEFORE daybreak doing roadwork :eek: we thought he was trying to teach us a "lesson".............after the 4th day we found out that it was an EVERYDAY thing :(

R

Retired Member

If I remember correctly it is like 156 and is held by an Aussie and his name slips my mind right now. I wll check into it.

Robbie Llewellyn says it was Chris Massey at Windsor 1983 or 1984, speed was 143.

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
Robbie Llewellyn says it was Chris Massey at Windsor 1983 or 1984, speed was 143.

I thought that had been beaten. I will giave a couple of people a call tonight and see. Either way that is way fast.

Ratso

Reaction score
I remember when Cypress Gardens Skis were the bomb...

KING BEE

Reaction score
My very good family friends, the Dyer's from Phoenix (Bob) pulled Chuck for many years behind an old Howard w/a Hemi. I can probably get the family to forward some pic's of Chuck and the boat "Riffify" (I think that was the way it was spelled), if anyone would be interested. KB

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
My very good family friends, the Dyer's from Phoenix (Bob) pulled Chuck for many years behind an old Howard w/a Hemi. I can probably get the family to forward some pic's of Chuck and the boat "Riffify" (I think that was the way it was spelled), if anyone would be interested. KB
Post them up , I'd like to see them :thumbsup Last time I saw Chuck he was living in Huntington Beach, selling real estate. Still looked like he could run the catalina race :eek: I read awhile back that he won the catalina race like 11 times, and at least once in 4 consecutive decades, the last win was at age 43.

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
Post them up , I'd like to see them :thumbsup Last time I saw Chuck he was living in Huntington Beach, selling real estate. Still looked like he could run the catalina race :eek: I read awhile back that he won the catalina race like 11 times, and at least once in 4 consecutive decades, the last win was at age 43.

You are right, it is 11 times, first time was '59 and the last one was '81

D

Deleted Account

Arrowhead Boats in the 1980 Catalina Race... :)

Attachments

• catalina-1980.jpg
    catalina-1980.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 452

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
Its amazing looking at that list. Its a whos who of skiers/drivers/observers/navagators...unreal

That is a cool list.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
hahahah Gus Zisakis in family jet class, Gus live up here in Boulder i always see him at Bill Dunsmore Sr's shop, he's still in love with jet boats, and convinced they are faster than v-drives to this day :D

If you've ever met Gus he does have one hell of a sense of humor though.

D

Deleted Account

Its amazing looking at that list. Its a whos who of skiers/drivers/observers/navagators...unreal

That is a cool list.

I had a neighbor who got one of the last Red Spectra 19's (Teague rigged it) and had a 29' V with staggered small blocks in it. Around '83 or so we went to the island in that 29 (it was flat out) in 19 minutes or so...

That did it.:D:D

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
I had a neighbor who got one of the last Red Spectra 19's (Teague rigged it) and had a 29' V with staggered small blocks in it. Around '83 or so we went to the island in that 29 (it was flat out) in 19 minutes or so...

That did it.:D:D

In '83 that was like taking the Sunseeker over there. I can see how that would do it for you.

The first time I ever went to/saw Catalina I skied there just to turn around and head home. That was 1990.

D

Deleted Account

In '83 that was like taking the Sunseeker over there. I can see how that would do it for you.

The first time I ever went to/saw Catalina I skied there just to turn around and head home. That was 1990.

I have my sisters family living there since I was in Junior High. Been there A BUNCH. My boat's been there 17 times. I think I was in it but I can't quite remember...:D

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score

I posted this up awhile back, didn't know if you guy's saw it or not. I was watching worlds most amazing videos last night with my Pop & grandkids and they showed a clip of a helicopter rescue off a cruiseliner. I told the grandkids about Pop's "rescue" and my Dad gave the great-grandkids the whole story,........... the look on their faces was PRICELESS :D

Attachments

• shark attack.jpg
    shark attack.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 380

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
I posted this up awhile back, didn't know if you guy's saw it or not. I was watching worlds most amazing videos last night with my Pop & grandkids and they showed a clip of a helicopter rescue off a cruiseliner. I told the grandkids about Pop's "rescue" and my Dad gave the great-grandkids the whole story,........... the look on their faces was PRICELESS :D

That's a great stroy for the grand kids. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup

D

Deleted Account

How good of a skier is your Aussie? Win his class?

I have around ten Cat trophies and the last 5 are their skiing... He's a strong guy. Pull him with the Hallett and I'll buy the gas + entry. He's a great guy. For what they do getting over here, let's show them some love...:D

Attachments

• Catalina05 386 (Large).jpg
    Catalina05 386 (Large).jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 395

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
I have around ten Cat trophies and the last 5 are their skiing... He's a strong guy. Pull him with the Hallett and I'll buy the gas + entry. He's a great guy. For what they do getting over here, let's show them some love...:D

I would but the Hallett has never been in the salt plus if my old man buys another boat I will be in it. I will brain storm and see if I can think of someone to pull him. That of call Randy Jerrel to see if he knows of any boats.

I'll show him some love...buying drinks when he's done skiing :beer

KING BEE

Reaction score
How many years did you run? Want to pull a guy from Oz this year if your V doesn't sell? I'll buy boat gas... :D
1981 was that last year I skied it. 6 years total. To many hangovers from Edelbrocks parties most years. Are you referring to my Magic? Probably not the right boat for Catalina. I have access to the right boats though. KB

Wheeler

Reaction score

What type of boat were you using to ski Catalina in '63? Any pictures of the boat that won the race that year?

D

Deleted Account

1981 was that last year I skied it. 6 years total. To many hangovers from Edelbrocks parties most years. Are you referring to my Magic? Probably not the right boat for Catalina. I have access to the right boats though. KB

We have a friend from AUS that we have pulled many times, he's coming again this year. Our driver sold the 38' and the other boat I had lined up just killed a 500 and it won't be replaced soon enough. He's bought and paid for the flight, is an awesome guy and I will do what I can to get him a ride. I've had a Fountain 40, have an F-350, have Lifelines and can and will get the boat through tech and into a slip if required.

I just want to see him go fast... :D

He will race Vet Mens this year...

R

Retired Member

Why dont you give Tom Cox a call. I don't think the boys he pulled, in over and back, last year are coming over.

We have 5 skiers in line right now. Not naming names other then Paul Robo at the moment. One of the skiers, from Australia, is at the top of his game. I'll let you guys know once something is solidified.

D

Deleted Account

Why dont you give Tom Cox a call. I don't think the boys he pulled, in over and back, last year are coming over.

We have 5 skiers in line right now. Not naming names other then Paul Robo at the moment. One of the skiers, from Australia, is at the top of his game. I'll let you guys know once something is solidified.

I know tom. Nice Formula. PM his number, would you?

Photo Chick

Reaction score
Thought I'd chime in and add the fastest woman barefoot skier to the thread!! This is Theresa Wallace with Tony Scarlata pulling her in Gadsden last year. She broke her own record at 107.54

Attachments

• T.Wallace.jpg
    T.Wallace.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 466

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
What type of boat were you using to ski Catalina in '63? Any pictures of the boat that won the race that year?
No pics of the winning boat, but this is what my Pop was running in the ski races in '63. It was built by Ralph Muirhead, Unlimited Marine in Lynwood. Back then you could buy a "bare" hull from ANY mfgr. Our Dad's all pretty much rigged them out as to what they felt was "the set-up" This pic of him in boat LA 77 was taken at Long Beach. The guy in the other boat we think is Jake Gilbreath, Jerry Gilbreath's Dad. Jerry was a top ocean racer a few years back. The engine of choice back then was the 427 ci DOH cam Ford. My Dad used to buy them, in the crate, from Stroppe marine in signal hill. The boat that sunk in the catalina race was a "kit boat" from Glenn L, all plywood & HEAVY:eek:

Attachments

• pop bunky craft.jpg
    pop bunky craft.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 473

Wheeler

Reaction score
No pics of the winning boat, but this is what my Pop was running in the ski races in '63. It was built by Ralph Muirhead, Unlimited Marine in Lynwood. Back then you could buy a "bare" hull from ANY mfgr. Our Dad's all pretty much rigged them out as to what they felt was "the set-up" This pic of him in boat LA 77 was taken at Long Beach. The guy in the other boat we think is Jake Gilbreath, Jerry Gilbreath's Dad. Jerry was a top ocean racer a few years back. The engine of choice back then was the 427 ci DOH cam Ford. My Dad used to buy them, in the crate, from Stroppe marine in signal hill. The boat that sunk in the catalina race was a "kit boat" from Glenn L, all plywood & HEAVY:eek:

Amazing, Catalina in a flattie! and people worry about Parker in the afternoon.
I remember Ralph Kerber did not want to give up his fords and run Chevy's.

River Lynchmob

Reaction score
Thought I'd chime in and add the fastest woman barefoot skier to the thread!! This is Theresa Wallace with Tony Scarlata pulling her in Gadsden last year. She broke her own record at 107.54

Thats just bad ass...she must have huge ovaries :thumbsup

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score

Amazing, Catalina in a flattie! and people worry about Parker in the afternoon.
I remember Ralph Kerber did not want to give up his fords and run Chevy's.
Catalina in a flattie with NO GPS :eek: Most of the guys ran "by the seat of thier pants" at most they'd have a compass. One year we made the turn at Avalon, headed back to LB an I see the other 4 boats in the lead pack headed off to our left, I start "pointing" at the other guy's trying to tell my observer to follow them. He just keeps giving me the "OK" sign while pointing down at the compass, that was duct taped on the stringers telling me we're on course :hmm well after about 3 hours I FINALLY see land, off to the left it stops, off to the right it stops so I'm thinking we've been running in a frickin circle out in the middle of the ocean and were back at Avalon :confused:..........WRONG then it dawns on me ..........we are at San Clemente Island :eek::eek: by then the fog has lifted, we're in a 18 ft Howard with TWO seats, we ended up running all the way back up the coast line to LB, 4 1/2 hours :swear last ones in :eek:

Skyskier

skiing Parker since 1960
Reaction score
Awesome pic ! I couldn't find ANY stats on the womens record on a ski.

Wheeler

Reaction score
Catalina in a flattie with NO GPS :eek: Most of the guys ran "by the seat of thier pants" at most they'd have a compass. One year we made the turn at Avalon, headed back to LB an I see the other 4 boats in the lead pack headed off to our left, I start "pointing" at the other guy's trying to tell my observer to follow them. He just keeps giving me the "OK" sign while pointing down at the compass, that was duct taped on the stringers telling me we're on course :hmm well after about 3 hours I FINALLY see land, off to the left it stops, off to the right it stops so I'm thinking we've been running in a frickin circle out in the middle of the ocean and were back at Avalon :confused:..........WRONG then it dawns on me ..........we are at San Clemente Island :eek::eek: by then the fog has lifted, we're in a 18 ft Howard with TWO seats, we ended up running all the way back up the coast line to LB, 4 1/2 hours :swear last ones in :eek:

Daaam! Who was the pilot in command, Douglas Corrigan? :D