WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wood vs Metal workbench

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
Now that I am going to be graduating from a 1 car garage to a 2 car garage, it's time to retire my folding plastic camping table as my workbench and get something proper for the job. I am weighing the pro's and con's of wood and metal workbenches.

I mostly work on motorcycles with a few woodworking projects when the lady wants some pretty decorations.

Biggest pro of wood is that I can build it myself, but I am concerned about working on motorcycle engines on the wood and spilling oil and contaminating the wood.

Biggest pro of the metal is that if I spill oil on it it's an easy cleanup, but i don't have the skills to build it myself.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Devilman

lol, yeah, sure, ok......
Reaction score
Last house we lived in had a small workshop in the garage. It had a wooden workbench but one area had a metal plate bolted down on it. I am assuming so the previous owner had a area to work on stuff that he was concerned may damage the wood surface of the rest of the work space? Thought that was a pretty good idea. My present work bench/table is all wood, I have thought about doing the same with a piece of plate, but just haven't got around to it.

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
I have had both... I run nothing but butcher block benches now. Metal benches are a pain in the dick, they get scratched up they generally scratch parts etc.

buck35

Reaction score
Buying a chunk of scrape plate and having 4 legs welded on wouldn't be that costly, but they are heavy as fuck. I have a wood bench with an angle iron frame on 2 wheels and fold down well barrow arms that is very portable and stout as hell.

69hondo

Reaction score
just built an 8'-0" long 30" deep bench and had my buddy who works in the commercial duct industry bend me up a piece of 1/8" steel plate for the bench top. I think its great. 3" back splash and 3" edging all down the front one piece. The only complaint is any water based liquid causes surface rust if it gets left on it.

185EZ

Takin it EZ
Reaction score
Everyone likes wood, just ask Grads....

Metal isn't as forgiving and can scratch parts
I have a wood bench and it's nicer to work on and cleans up EZ
If it gets beat up you just sand it and re seal it

Yellowboat

Reaction score
I would only have a metal table for welding. If you are worried about oil, there is always a hard board top. It's super cheap and when gets nasty, pop the screws and get new. Look up Paul sellers on YouTube, he is currently building one and in the past has built one out of 2x stock.

530RL

Reaction score
No skills needed.

Go down to Smith Pipe and Steel or Schuff Steel or any steel shop in metro phoenix buy a 4 by 8 sheet of 1/8th steel plate and have them bend it down 3 inches in the front then up 13 inches from the back and then over the last 3 inches. It will look like this.

IMG_1598.JPG

Then run down to Interstate Steel or any steel shop and have (6) 4 inch square tubes to the height you want the bench. Grab (2) 1 inch angle irons pieces 7 feet long each and some one inch square tubing if you want some shelves.

Anyone with horrible welding skills can weld it up and you have a 29 inch deep by 8 feet solid metal work counter. I put a couple ears on the underside of the bench top and bolt the bench top to the frame so that it can come off and be moved in the back of a standard pick up truck. If 8 feet is too long, have the metal shop cut the length down to what you want. you can also make it deeper or less deep depending upon how you do your bends.

It will be the cheapest way to get what you want and you will never need another work top again.

I've built 4 of varying sizes and I'm basically a glorified bean counter. Anyone can make this with little to no skills and make it any size. Once the top is bent by the shop, it is all a walk in the park.

Last edited:

Brian

Reaction score
Wood. I replace the top every few years when it gets really thrashed.

Cdog

Reaction score
Sams club seville work bench. $210. Can’t beat the deal anywhere.

sintax

Reaction score
just built an 8'-0" long 30" deep bench and had my buddy who works in the commercial duct industry bend me up a piece of 1/8" steel plate for the bench top. I think its great. 3" back splash and 3" edging all down the front one piece. The only complaint is any water based liquid causes surface rust if it gets left on it.

This is what i'd like to do. I just dont have the hookup on the steel cap.

530RL

Reaction score
This is what i'd like to do. I just dont have the hookup on the steel cap.

I just walked into a steel fab shop and asked them if they could sell and bend me one. Every time they have said no problem. 10 bucks a bend is what he charged me. 30 bucks plus whatever he charged me the the sheet.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
I do a pretty fair amount of work in the garage with projects. I ended up topping my workbench with melamine. Its spill resistant and any liquids can be easily cleaned up without staining, fairly tough to scratches and metal parts. I opted to do a "plate" method in case one did get scratched or something I could replace a small section, not having to replace the entire thing. It aint the greatest but it gets the job done.

20729404_10155088545314833_7533106626039552578_n.jpg

Ouderkirk

Reaction score
Now that I am going to be graduating from a 1 car garage to a 2 car garage, it's time to retire my folding plastic camping table as my workbench and get something proper for the job. I am weighing the pro's and con's of wood and metal workbenches.

I mostly work on motorcycles with a few woodworking projects when the lady wants some pretty decorations.

Biggest pro of wood is that I can build it myself, but I am concerned about working on motorcycle engines on the wood and spilling oil and contaminating the wood.

Biggest pro of the metal is that if I spill oil on it it's an easy cleanup, but i don't have the skills to build it myself.

Make it from Unistrut.

http://www.unistrut.us/

sirbob

Reaction score
For years I used to top all my work benches with a sheet of drywall when I had my shop.

We made wood benches but they can get pretty scruffy looking after a while with oil and paint and other stuff scratching and banging them up. I keep the trimmed / beveled edge out towards me and and the cut edge against the wall, when it got shity looking for 10 bucks I could refresh all the benches and the shop looked new.

wsuwrhr

The Masheenest
Reaction score
Drywall, gypsum board? Surely you gest.

Brian

For years I used to top all my work benches with a sheet of drywall when I had my shop.

We made wood benches but they can get pretty scruffy looking after a while with oil and paint and other stuff scratching and banging them up. I keep the trimmed / beveled edge out towards me and and the cut edge against the wall, when it got shity looking for 10 bucks I could refresh all the benches and the shop looked new.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

Drywall? what the hell were you doing, arts and crafts? :p:D

Butcher block or high lamination cabinet grade maple ply wood are the best. Steel frame (legs and sub support).

Any local carpentry shop can make a butcher block for you, they aren't that expensive and will last a lifetime, your local carpenter will tell you what wood is easily available for the most reasonable price.

Otherwise i would go to your local high end wood supplier (in vegas we have a place called Peterman Lumber), and get some 1/2" or 3/4" cabinet grade maple plywood, you can easily laminate a couple sheets together if you want it over 1" thick.

2FORCEFULL

Reaction score
I like to use Formica, you can get it in 8' & 10 lengths, that way it has a back splash and you can buy the cabinets to go underneath... super durable and easy to clean and cheep...

outboard_256

Reaction score
if you plan on ever getting into welding I would go with metal.

sintax

Reaction score
I just walked into a steel fab shop and asked them if they could sell and bend me one. Every time they have said no problem. 10 bucks a bend is what he charged me. 30 bucks plus whatever he charged me the the sheet.

Killer, maybe I'll call around and see what i can find. I've been in my new place for years and i'm still half assing a bench setup

D19

Reaction score
Wood all the way. Then get a sheet of metal and cut to size to screw to a section of the bench for projects that need a metal substrate to work on.

Yes and countersink the screws. You can get a scrap sheet of aluminum at steel yard for cheap and cut it with a $30 jig saw.

If you're putting bench against a wall, put a lip /backspace on the back side so you don't drop stuff behind it. You can thank me later. lol

ToMorrow44

27 Advantage TCM 800efi
Reaction score
Wood. I built an 8’ x 30” 42”tall bench with 3/4” plywood top. Covered the top with a 1/8” rubber mat. All in all, <$100 and built to the exact size I wanted.

bk2drvr

Reaction score

First, what’s your budget?

pronstar

President, Dallas Chapter
Reaction score
I was gonna build a bench, then saw this at Home Depot.

I’d have $50 in lumber alone before I started cutting, seemed good value to me.

The top is MDF so I’m gonna put two coats of Shellac, then some clear polyurethane, over the top of it based on suggestions from a woodworking forum.

IMG_0429.jpg

I like RD's idea of butcher block, but I don't have the right tools to make one and have no idea where I can buy a butcher block slab, any ideas?

I'm thinking a wood bench with one of these https://www.nihiloconcepts.com/Nihilo_Motor_Stand_p/nms100.htm is a good compromise. It has it's own catch tray on the bottom of it.

Lumber Liquidators sells butcher block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ArizonaKevin

Reaction score
First, what’s your budget?

Hadn't really thought of that, I am planning on having this for many years to come so I am okay with spending some money. Obviously don't want to spend ridiculous money though. Probably $300 for an 8' bench seems reasonable for something quality? Prevailing idea right now is to build my own base with 4x4 posts and frame it out with 2x4, then buy a butcher block top and screw it down to my base.

Looks like $200ish for the butcher block top and probably $100 in materials for the base?

bk2drvr

Reaction score
Hadn't really thought of that, I am planning on having this for many years to come so I am okay with spending some money. Obviously don't want to spend ridiculous money though. Probably $300 for an 8' bench seems reasonable for something quality? Prevailing idea right now is to build my own base with 4x4 posts and frame it out with 2x4, then buy a butcher block top and screw it down to my base.

Looks like $200ish for the butcher block top and probably $100 in materials for the base?

I think what you have planned is a good option then based on your budget. The other thing I’d recommend looking at are the rolling drawer/cabinets with the butcher block tops on them. They provide storage in addition to a workbench. And if you decide to go to a fixed workbench down the road you will always be able to use it for storage and additional work surface. Just a thought. Good luck!

Something like this.

https://m.samsclub.com/ip/ultra-hea...MI7cSN3LfK3QIVA45pCh1VaQ9yEAAYASAAEgK4QvD_BwE

rvrrun

Reaction score
I do a pretty fair amount of work in the garage with projects. I ended up topping my workbench with melamine. Its spill resistant and any liquids can be easily cleaned up without staining, fairly tough to scratches and metal parts. I opted to do a "plate" method in case one did get scratched or something I could replace a small section, not having to replace the entire thing. It aint the greatest but it gets the job done.

20729404_10155088545314833_7533106626039552578_n.jpg
Melamine is great. I have the standard Home Depot/Lowes counter tops in my garage on top of their plain in stock white cabinets. It doesn't matter what crap I get on them, a little acetone makes them look new.

That said, in the shop we have all steel benches which are great for welding, grinding, building rear ends and transmissions, etc. If that's all I did at home, I'd have steel. For wood working, some mechanical/welding and general purpose, melamine wins out.

spectras only

Reaction score
20180920_141044.jpg
20180920_141053.jpg
Bought a wood top metal adjustable height frame bench from Home Depot, made by Husky. Super nice and sturdy, like the adjustable legs idea too. I'd only put the engine of my MC on the top, laying a HD rubber mat on the wood to protect it.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score
I like RD's idea of butcher block, but I don't have the right tools to make one and have no idea where I can buy a butcher block slab, any ideas?

I'm thinking a wood bench with one of these https://www.nihiloconcepts.com/Nihilo_Motor_Stand_p/nms100.htm is a good compromise. It has it's own catch tray on the bottom of it.

Dont bother with butcher block.

Go buy a solid core, basic un drilled slab door. They are under $80 at Lowes. You can get a fancy Redwood one for around $200. There is your bench top.

Build a stand for it, and go to town. Or buy a couple rolling tool chests at Harbor Freight or Home Depot, replace the wheels with leveling feet, and bolt the door to the chests. If you go with the chests, it will look like you spent a couple grand on a work bench, and you'll have $500 into it and a few hours time in setup.

Chop the door down if you don't want it as deep.

Last edited:

LargeOrangeFont

We aren't happy until you aren't happy
Reaction score

Cut those costs more than in half if you ditch the butcher block and go with my idea :)

sirbob

Reaction score
Drywall, gypsum board? Surely you gest.

Brian
Drywall? what the hell were you doing, arts and crafts? :p:D
Butcher block or high lamination cabinet grade maple ply wood are the best. Steel frame (legs and sub support).
Any local carpentry shop can make a butcher block for you, they aren't that expensive and will last a lifetime, your local carpenter will tell you what wood is easily available for the most reasonable price.
Otherwise i would go to your local high end wood supplier (in vegas we have a place called Peterman Lumber), and get some 1/2" or 3/4" cabinet grade maple plywood, you can easily laminate a couple sheets together if you want it over 1" thick.

Everybody has a solution - for us it was a clean sheet of drywall on the top or the workbench every time we started a new project. In our shop we built custom frames for quads (ATVs). Every time we had a bike come in for a build we would strip it down and all the parts were separated into boxes for refinishing / cleaning / storage etc. depending on the part. I always liked working on a clean surface - I could find small parts or screws easier and it looked neater when a customer came into the shop to see their project being worked on. It was also soft and gentle on metal and painted parts so they didn't get scratched!

Drywall was a quick and easy way to keep everything neat and orderly on our work benches - a lot like if you go to a restaurant and they recover the table with butcher paper (like Macaroni Grill does - when the wait staff writes their name on it) between each customer.

Just to be clear - this was on top of a wooden work top.

Worked great for us and what we did. :)

Last edited:

TITTIES AND BEER

Honorary RDP Inmate #160 Emeritus - R.I.P. Mark 😢
Reaction score
I have both , metal is on wheels for welding

Icky

Reaction score
red-powder-coat-finish-milwaukee-mobile-workbenches-48-22-8552-64_1000.jpg
I have this in my garage, although it's just a tool box to me. My work bench is a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" plate with I beams welded to it keeping it straight. It's also got huge casters on it for when you want to try and move it

JUSTWANNARACE

I will not let them take me🤣🤣
Reaction score
Go to home depot and get a sheet of 3/4 melamine great for work bench top and cleans up super easy

WhatExit?

Well-Known Inmate #'s 2584 & 20161
Reaction score

The top is MDF so I’m gonna put two coats of Shellac, then some clear polyurethane, over the top of it based on suggestions from a woodworking forum.

View attachment 685358

Build it out of wood (Home Depot) and add a piece of masonite on the top. You can always change it when it's looking tired. Wood's great - you can drill into it, cut into it, fix it, it's cheap to buy and repair and if you're ever working with electricity wood is your friend.

spectracular

Reaction score
I built a big rolling freestander from MDF. It is a torsion beam construction so it doesn’t bow even with several hundred pounds placed dead center. I skinned the top with Masonite. It’s a great assembly table that’s dead flat. I think it has 3 sheets of mdf in the thing. The top is 7” think if I recall

highvoltagehands

Laveycraft Nuera 2750
Reaction score

View attachment 685358

Be careful. If you get it from Lumber Liquidators, good chance there's more Lead than wood in that butcher block.:p:D

termiteguy

Reaction score
Dont bother with butcher block.

Go buy a solid core, basic un drilled slab door. They are under $80 at Lowes. You can get a fancy Redwood one for around $200. There is your bench top.

Build a stand for it, and go to town. Or buy a couple rolling tool chests at Harbor Freight or Home Depot, replace the wheels with leveling feet, and bolt the door to the chests. If you go with the chests, it will look like you spent a couple grand on a work bench, and you'll have $500 into it and a few hours time in setup.

Chop the door down if you don't want it as deep.
This what I did even better it was a door one our guy cut wrong so It was going in trash and how

monkeyswrench

To The Rescue!
Reaction score
I have metal only...mostly metal fab work. Cheap nylon type cutting boards for head assembly and such...and cutting gaskets.

Old Texan

Honorary Warden #377 Emeritus - R.I.P.
Reaction score
I've built a number of benches primarily for woodworking.

Use 2x4's. Plane or rip the rounded edges off to square them. Bore holes to fit all thread about every 24" or 30" depending on length. Counterbore each outside piece to allow the nut to be inside. Spread glue between each joint. Tighten the all thread to pull them together. After dry, use biscuits and glue on the outside edge pieces to cover bolts.

You end up with a 3"+ plus thick slab top. Install either pipe or 4x4 legs, well braced with a lower shelf. I made levelers for each leg using bolts or all thread.

Makes a heavy table that is solid and strong. Won't move if using any type of mounted vice and you can hammer anything without table moving. Size is up to what ever you want it to be.

Easy to build in a few hours and costs very little when compared to just about anything else. Some I fit a sheet of sacrificial 1/4" Masonite on the top that can be r and r'd easily when scarred up or stained with chemicals, oil, paint etc. Fit a trimmed 1 x4 to fit the border around the table perimeter that is removable to cover the edges of the Masonite sheet.