WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Wiping down your boat.

Riverjunkie42

Reaction score
So who does and who doesn't wipe down their boat after a weekend or extended trip? Just curious because my cousin details cars, boats, motorhomes ect.

He says a good portion of his customers with large boats like over 24 feet fail to wipe down their boats.

We always wipe our boat down with a 20% vinegar solution. It works pretty good. I also recently waxed the damn thing so it's easier to wipe down as well.

Attachments

• DSC02147.JPG
    DSC02147.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 915

bigriver48

Aloha mr hand
Reaction score
Everytime we come out of the water.

Sent from my iPhone in big river

hallett21

Reaction score
WasH it every night and hot sauce the water spots

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
Everytime it comes out of the water with either Vinegar and Water or Hot Suace.

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
We never took our boat out of the water without failing to wipe it down. Never. If it stayed in the water overnight, the exposed parts got wiped down after the last run of the day. It's easy to do on the ramp. Difficult to do once you get home. 4 people with cloths, 3-5 minutes, tops. One person at home after it's all dry, an hour.

Riverjunkie42

Reaction score
Wow I guess my cousin has some lazy customers who figure he can detail out the crustiness. I have seem some of these boats when they are hammered.
I figured many RDP members are passionate about keeping their boats nice. :thumbsup

paradise

Spooner
Reaction score
At the end of the trip every time (it stays in the slip while we r here). Vacuum the carpet, wipe down te vinyl and the exterior. Then we usually "detail" it once or twice a year.

Just too easy to keep it looking nice by wiping it down every time.

72Hondo

Reaction score
Sun going down, beer in hand, some pb candy, Every night. It's actually quite relaxing.

Faceaz

Reaction score
I started using this stuff a year ago with incredible results:

http://www.rgslabs.com/

The FW1 product, it's expensive but I've never seen anything like it. Was stopped by a guy @ the gas station selling it, (thought yeah right) but I let the guy give it a try on the glass of my truck. My truck was really dirty, took the guy about 2 minutes to do all the windows & they literally looked like new. Not an over glossy, shiney type crap, just leaves it nice and clean & has carnuba wax. I buy it by the case now, works on metal, paint, glass, etc.. Never tried the Marine formula though.

mjc

Retired Neighbor
Reaction score
Wipe down every time unless I plan on doing a full bucket of suds wash back at the house

Riverjunkie42

Reaction score
I finally cleaned our seats in the boat. The seat backs were the dirtiest area of the seat. I used some 3M degreaser. Usually we just wipe down the seats with the vinegar solution, but this time they needed a deep clean.:D

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
i wiped mine down with outlaw's special concoction. i put it up next to some of that horribly overpriced "sauce" crap and not only did it look the same but smelled almost exactly the same as well. it didnt have the clue color to it but at a fraction of the cost ill stick to that for now. if outlaw can keep his boat lookin like that and polished up the way it does ill take his word for it. it cleaned the spots off my pipes and anything polished that had been baking in 120* sun all day in no time and left em nice and shiney. did the same with the gelcoat as well.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
We always wipe our boat down with a 20% vinegar solution. It works pretty good. I also recently waxed the damn thing so it's easier to wipe down as well.

So you know, That vinegar will strip that wax right off your boat.

I wipe it down every time I pull it out of the water. I find it relaxing to wipe it down at night with the radio on and a beer in hand. I'll also wipe off all the seats. Im pretty anal though, I hate water spots. I've been known to wash my truck for the drive home if there was a monsoon or something and I got water spots or excessive mud on it. :D

I like boat bling hot sauce and a water diluted simple green for the int.

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
We wash it down every time it comes out of the water with either soap/water or a quick detailer.

We wipe the interior down with plain water after every use. We also wax it and put an interior dressing with UV protection on it at the end or beginning of every season.

Last edited:

RodnJen

Reaction score
Every time our of the water with soap and water, the Hot Sauce where needed. I wax it by hand at least once a year with 3M Liquid Wax.

SKIA36

Reaction score
Meguires quick detailer every time it comes out of the water, wipe down the interior with cleaner/protectant. Hard water spots off of the exhaust with CLR and then quick wax. Boats get a double coat of premium wax 4x/ year, including the trailer, floors,engine compartment.

Hardly Satisfied

Riverside, CA & Havasu
Reaction score
Wipe down when we get off the lake but the last day I do the wipe down at home and clean the whole boat inside and out having a beer

Riverjunkie42

Reaction score
So you know, That vinegar will strip that wax right off your boat.

I wipe it down every time I pull it out of the water. I find it relaxing to wipe it down at night with the radio on and a beer in hand. I'll also wipe off all the seats. Im pretty anal though, I hate water spots. I've been known to wash my truck for the drive home if there was a monsoon or something and I got water spots or excessive mud on it. :D

I like boat bling hot sauce and a water diluted simple green for the int.

The wax is not stripped right off. You're wrong about that. I can still feel the wax so I'm sure you are confused as to what concentration will strip off the wax. Of course over a few months, the environment and the continual wiping down of the boat will warrant more wax. So yes continually wiping down your boat and waxing it will keep the gelcoat in great condition. :cool:

Havaduner

Never home on weekends
Reaction score
Every time it's back on the trailer, wife and I do it. It only takes a few minutes with a beer in hand. Hell, I'll wipe it down in the middle of the day while we're still on the water if the mood hits me!

Scott E

Reaction score
Either once we get it back into the garage from a day on the water or the next morning it gets wiped down with Hot Sauce.

TCHB

Reaction score
Every day the boat comes out of the water with water/vinager mix. Wax it with spray wax every couple days.

t&y

t&y
Reaction score
i wiped mine down with outlaw's special concoction. i put it up next to some of that horribly overpriced "sauce" crap and not only did it look the same but smelled almost exactly the same as well. it didnt have the clue color to it but at a fraction of the cost ill stick to that for now. if outlaw can keep his boat lookin like that and polished up the way it does ill take his word for it. it cleaned the spots off my pipes and anything polished that had been baking in 120* sun all day in no time and left em nice and shiney. did the same with the gelcoat as well.

What is this "special concoction" you speak of?:headscratch:

cave

Reaction score
What is this "special concoction" you speak of?:headscratch:
Jet boaters swear by it. Because it works!
Sucks that all these people with bad ass bling hit the gel with Summers Eve soaking the Anodized billet parts. Live and learn.

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
Everytime it's back on the trailer the wife uses Hot Sauce and the interior cleaner on the inside and I hit the outside with the Hot Sauce. If it's sitting in the water everwhere we can reach gets wiped down after last run.:thumbsup

squirtnmyload

now its recording
Reaction score
it depends on a few things for me. if i'm at lake pleasant, i trailer it and drive straight home(15-20mins) then i will wipe it down once its in the garage. its like playing pinball trying to get past all the idiots that wipe their shit down at the top of the ramp.

if i'm farther away from home i'll wipe it right after boating and then wipe it once its in the garage, or where its going, to get the road grime off.

also, is speed gloss pissing anyone else off? i've been using it for the last year and lately it has been leaving like a haze on the boat.

Last edited:

Outdrive1

Outdrive1 Marine Sales https://www.outdrive1.com/
Reaction score
it depends on a few things for me. if i'm at lake pleasant, i trailer it and drive straight home(15-20mins) then i will wipe it down once its in the garage. its like playing pinball trying to get past all the idiots that wipe their shit down at the top of the ramp.

if i'm farther away from home i'll wipe it right after boating and then wipe it once its in the garage, or where its going, to get the road grime off.

also, is speed gloss pissing anyone else off? i've been using it for the last year and lately it has been leaving like a haze on the boat.

That's about the routine I follow.

ultra26shadow

Reaction score
Wipe down during the day at the lake above the water line then hit the remainder of the boat here and there on the trailer w/ hot sauce.

NdaWind

Reaction score
Never wipe it down after we get off the water, I have to store mine under a tent next to a dirt road and by the time I get to use it again I have to do a full wash anyway. The pontoon stays in the water so I only wipe down the seats before putting the cover on.

ka0tyk

Warlock Performance Boats Merchandise Connections
Reaction score
Jet boaters swear by it. Because it works!
Sucks that all these people with bad ass bling hit the gel with Summers Eve soaking the Anodized billet parts. Live and learn.

lol if outlaw uses it and his motor and boat look the way it does, its good enough for me! you could eat a prime rib out of his bilge.

W.O.T

Reaction score
I Never Wipe It Down When I Pull It Out Of the Water. But Before Putting It On The Water The Next Day I Hit The Gel Coat With Quick Detailer And A Microfiber Towel. Also Give The Interior A Good Wipe.

It Gets A Full Cleaning When I Get It Home In The Garage.

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
The wax is not stripped right off. You're wrong about that. I can still feel the wax so I'm sure you are confused as to what concentration will strip off the wax. Of course over a few months, the environment and the continual wiping down of the boat will warrant more wax. So yes continually wiping down your boat and waxing it will keep the gelcoat in great condition. :cool:

Im not confused. Vinegar strips wax, that's a fact. If you used a good product along with your wax you wouldn't need as wax as often and your gel coat would keep that just waxed look for a lot longer. Vinegar also mells like shit, why rub your boat in it? ....But hey its your boat, do what you want with it. :thumbsup

steamin rice

No Bad Days....
Reaction score
If I'm on a multi-day trip, the boar gets wiped down at least once per day, and again after the trip is over. At the lake in the summer, I'll wait until I have the boat home in my garage to do the wipe down so it's more comfortable. After an ocean trip, the boat gets a complete top to bottom wash right at the ramp.

Riverjunkie42

Reaction score
Im not confused. Vinegar strips wax, that's a fact. If you used a good product along with your wax you wouldn't need as wax as often and your gel coat would keep that just waxed look for a lot longer. Vinegar also mells like shit, why rub your boat in it? ....But hey its your boat, do what you want with it. :thumbsup

Like I said before, there are degrees to which things occur and you say vinegar strips wax. Well to what degree? A 20% solution is going to take out that shit that we call calcium carbonate. This concentration might degrade the wax a little bit, but that dirty hard water, and elements also deteriorate the wax. So its a part of boating.
I would use instant detailer if I wasn't so liberal with the vinegar solution. After the 4th, I used almost 2 spray bottles worth because it was so filthy. I use instant detailer when I clay and wax my truck. I guess if I was to wash the boat, maybe I would only need a little instant detailer.

NoDoz

Reaction score
I'm meticulous. I have micro-fibers, all boat bling products, vacuum my carpets, wipe trailer and shine the wheels. After a major weekend I'll spend 5-8 hours at my folks house. Just get the stereo goin, a beer or two, sometimes a few pouches. I enjoy keeping the things I've worked hard for clean and in good condition

purrfecttremor

Reaction score
Like I said before, there are degrees to which things occur and you say vinegar strips wax. Well to what degree? A 20% solution is going to take out that shit that we call calcium carbonate. This concentration might degrade the wax a little bit, but that dirty hard water, and elements also deteriorate the wax. So its a part of boating.
I would use instant detailer if I wasn't so liberal with the vinegar solution. After the 4th, I used almost 2 spray bottles worth because it was so filthy. I use instant detailer when I clay and wax my truck. I guess if I was to wash the boat, maybe I would only need a little instant detailer.
I two believe vinigar strips all the wax off therefor i wipe it down with wax as you wash by eagle 1 on the ramp after every use. Once in a while i get a few water spots so i just wipe that area down with vinigar then re spray with eagle 1.

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
I have been using the Lucas slick mist detailer lately as I wanted to see how it works on boats. Its not a water spot remover. But I wipe down before I launch and every night and have been very happy with it. Prior to that I have always used hot sauce.

The Lucas product definitely leaves a nice coat of wax and I think that helps with keeping the water spots and transom soot to a minimum. It all seems to just wipe off.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Outlaw

Polishing MOFO
Reaction score
I have been using the Lucas slick mist detailer lately as I wanted to see how it works on boats. Its not a water spot remover. But I wipe down before I launch and every night and have been very happy with it. Prior to that I have always used hot sauce.

The Lucas product definitely leaves a nice coat of wax and I think that helps with keeping the water spots and transom soot to a minimum. It all seems to just wipe off.

The slick mist is a great detailer
I have been using it for a couple years now on my vehicles and since last year on the boat
Lucas really needs to market it toward boats
It does not remove water spots but
Works great for everything else

Normally I use the home made concoction at the ramp

Sent from my iPhone

RitcheyRch

Currently Boat-Less
Reaction score
I've been meaning to try this stuff but it seems hard to find.

Reaction score
i use to not wipe the boat down after a days boating. Now that i had the bottom done im a freak about it. Cave in parker said o no are you gunna be that guy at the ramp that spends 20 min wiping it down( YEP:D. ) Hotsauce for the water spots etc.

cave

Reaction score
i use to not wipe the boat down after a days boating. Now that i had the bottom done im a freak about it. Cave in parker said o no are you gunna be that guy at the ramp that spends 20 min wiping it down( YEP:D. ) Hotsauce for the water spots etc.
LM1/2HWAO. I have found nothing that makes my bote shine on the the grey to light grey areas. Soooooo, I have my niece and her husband detail it. Water spots are sticken so why fight it. If I ran it a few times a year, yea I would wipe it every time I take it out. 4 Sitty. The guy NOT to tell at on the launch ramp...

Sent from my Bad Ass DROIDX using Tapatalk

milkmoney

Reaction score
the boat gets wiped down inside and out after everday of use on the water using hot sauce.., also i run a cali duster over it before launching. once a year it gets a coat of wax put on it..also a deep cleaning with q-tips on the interior..use magic eraser on the interior and then use a protective to put on the interior from the uv rays..

Performance Boat Candy

Reaction score

Sorry to hear you're having hazing issues. Here's the deal: Because Speed Gloss uses carnauba wax, each time you use it you add more wax to your boat over time, which can in certain cases lead to the hazing effect you describe. This haze is the actual wax in the product which becomes oversaturated from spraying too much product.

Try this: Use less Speed Gloss as you're wiping down your boat and always use a dry towel to avoid oversaturation. After you wipe it down, you can always go over the boat with a dry towel again to remove some of the wax buildup, which should come off very easily.

If this doesn't work for you, send me a PM and I'll refund your money...no questions asked.

Tim

Riverbound

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, will have to cehck out those stores this weekend.

Spankys RV and marine in Parker also sells it and does mail order....that's where I would buy it from :)