WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Why Is It So Hard To Buy A Truck?

Icky

Reaction score
Are you referencing the Silverado tailgate step with the drop down top section that folds into a step ? Having had two Ford's with the step tailgate and really liking and using that feature frequently, there's two things I do not like about Chevy's.
One --- there's no handle, I like the handle, a lot. I realize the Chevy step is lower, but especially for stepping down, I want a handle.
Two --- You have to remove your trailer hitch before you can use the top drop down section or it's fold out step. On my Ford I can easily use the step with the hitch installed.
My neighbors new AT4 has a handle if I recall correctly.

Taboma

Reaction score
My neighbors new AT4 has a handle if I recall correctly.
I see that it does, thanks. Still can't use the step with your hitch installed, for me it makes it far less usable. The shallow step design doesn't afford good support for stepping back down. Obviously, more important for us older guys more focused on fall prevention.

Inner Gate down.JPG

Step down hand extended.JPG

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
When I bought my Super Duty I took the Ford Credit financing. Was in and out of the dealership in 90 minutes. Only thing that pissed me off is they wouldn't let me put the whole downpayment on my AMEX (wanted points). Only let me put $2500 on AMEX, rest I had to use my debit card.

Turned around and refinanced it a week before the first payment was due, with my credit union. Didn't make a payment on the damn thing for the first 90 days I owned it.

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
I see that it does, thanks. Still can't use the step with your hitch installed, for me it makes it far less usable. The shallow step design doesn't afford good support for stepping back down. Obviously, more important for us older guys more focused on fall prevention.

View attachment 1167010
View attachment 1167011

Went and looked at one of these and that tailgate is pretty cool. The one I saw had Kicker speakers built into it from the factory. Thought that was a cool feature.

Icky

Reaction score

View attachment 1167010
View attachment 1167011
Never used one before but I've seen these online.
I have a Ram, I'm just happy to have the folding bed step off the corner.

HNL2LHC

What is right and what is wrong these days!
Reaction score
I never pass up what the dealer has to offer. Last car was a CPO Maserati with 0% financing.
I am right there with you. Then there is my wife that pays it off 24 months early. So much for the free money. LOL

Taboma

Reaction score
Went and looked at one of these and that tailgate is pretty cool. The one I saw had Kicker speakers built into it from the factory. Thought that was a cool feature.
when I first saw it at the AutoShow, I questioned the young lady "Modeling" the truck, as she showed me how the step folded down, I inquired why it was designed so you couldn't have a hitch installed. She just looked at me with a blank stare, then went to talk to somebody else. 😁
I don't need tailgate speakers, what I need are ear plugs 😖

OldSchoolBoats

No Bad Days
Reaction score
when I first saw it at the AutoShow, I questioned the young lady "Modeling" the truck, as she showed me how the step folded down, I inquired why it was designed so you couldn't have a hitch installed. She just looked at me with a blank stare, then went to talk to somebody else. 😁
I don't need tailgate speakers, what I need are ear plugs 😖

You can't tow with it or you can't leave a receiver in??

Taboma

Reaction score
You can't lower the upper section in order to access the step if your hitch is installed in the truck's receiver. So to use the step it requires that your first remove your hitch.

DarkHorseRacing

Reaction score
There is a guy that came up with a switch that locks out the upper tailgate if there is a hitch pin in the receiver (indicating a hitch is likely in the receiver). Keeps you from forgetting and denting the tailgate but I wonder if the upper tailgate could have been designed differently to drop further out.

Though with the amount of hitch options out there (and some convos on these forums about them) there’s no way they could accommodate every style and brand and there’s always be someone complaining how it’s stupid the tailgate hits his hitch.

I think GM forgets some people bumper tow with their trucks.

DaveC

Car-boat motors
Reaction score
Is it a law to fill out credit report to buy a car in CA? If so why?
No law.

This is so you can drive off that same day and it ensures they will get paid. They have a signed contract which they get paid.

As I understand it the dealer is just trying to cover their asses. What if the check for the down payment or full cash payment doesn’t clear. Or wire is cancelled. They have something to fall back on in terms of paperwork.

I ran into this one time. I offered to return the next day or when the wire cleared the bank. Understandable as people try to scam them all the time

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
In many states, (especially in the north east)…it’s illegal to keep your drawbar in when not towing. If you take your truck in for annual inspection it will fail with a hitch installed (rusted in place). That’s probably why they don’t care.

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
No law.

This is so you can drive off that same day and it ensures they will get paid. They have a signed contract which they get paid.

As I understand it the dealer is just trying to cover their asses. What if the check for the down payment or full cash payment doesn’t clear. Or wire is cancelled. They have something to fall back on in terms of paperwork.

I ran into this one time. I offered to return the next day or when the wire cleared the bank. Understandable as people try to scam them all the time
I brought my laptop in to the dealer and offered/planned to simply do a wire a transfer for the full amount right then and there…they wouldn’t accept that, had to go to the bank and get a cashiers check

SPYLIFE

Reaction score
Go to Carmax, they're very simple to deal with, It's like buying TV at Best Buy

hallett21

Reaction score
Call em back and tell them you’ll buy it with their 84 month financing if they knock off 1,000. Refi it this afternoon with the credit union lol

Cobalt232

Reaction score
Are you referencing the Silverado tailgate step with the drop down top section that folds into a step ? Having had two Ford's with the step tailgate and really liking and using that feature frequently, there's two things I do not like about Chevy's.
One --- there's no handle, I like the handle, a lot. I realize the Chevy step is lower, but especially for stepping down, I want a handle.
Two --- You have to remove your trailer hitch before you can use the top drop down section or it's fold out step. On my Ford I can easily use the step with the hitch installed.
There is a handle. The issue with the handle on the Chevy vs. the Ford is that the handle is in the bed, so if the bed is loaded, you cant unfold the handle. Or if you load the bed, you can fold back in the handle. I've found I don't really need the handle because the step is lower, wider and more sturdy than our previous Ford step.

Yes, on our Trail Boss, I lowered the stop on the hitch. Luckily it only chipped the paint. Hopefully won't do that on the ZR2.

2022-09-11 09.51.17.jpg

Waterjunky

RDP Inmate #94
Reaction score
My experience with the Ford has been very good. Does exactly what is needed. Step + Handle that's always useable. The Chevy comes across as trying to do 37 things that are not needed and then doing none of them particularly well. Pain is the butt is the general consensus from those I've been around and the owners generally agree.

Chevy trying to do a "me too" and overcomplicating it.

That said some love it. To each their own.

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Quickest new car purchase was my 2017 Focus ST in Dec 2017. Arrived at Sunnyvale Ford at 8:15pm, left at 9:10. Test drove the car. They were offering $6k off MSRP. So, didn’t bother haggling. Financed through my credit union via the dealer (same as when I bought our 2014 Sierra). Ford Credit rate was 5.99% vs my 2.74% CU rate, so no push back. They closed at 9pm and it was dead, so finance quickly asked if I was interested in add-ons. I said no thanks. I couldn’t believe it. But, nobody wanted those Focus ST’s at that point in time and they were sitting on 3 of them for six to seven months. Different market today, but the Ford dealer was easy to deal with.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
If you really want to stick it to them, take their 2.5% higher financing then go to your bank a week later and refi. They will have to repay the 3-5% kickback they get 😂
F Nissan of Tustin! They had their chance to sell me the truck and have money in their pocket, but they thought somebody else would pay more. Now it’s still sitting on their lot. They’re not getting any money from me, they had their chance.

LGETT

Diving In
Reaction score
I never pass up what the dealer has to offer. Last car was a CPO Maserati with 0% financing.
They make their money one way or another, no one loans money for free its just built into the purchase price.

Babyback

Reaction score
Would like to hear your thoughts on the diesel after a few miles?

So far so good…43 miles 😂

Honestly I waited for this truck build over seven month and it was worth the wait. Plenty of power, quiet, and great gas mileage. Everyone I know that has the diesel Silverado and a suburban absolutely love them…

EmpirE231

Reaction score
So far so good…43 miles 😂

Honestly I waited for this truck build over seven month and it was worth the wait. Plenty of power, quiet, and great gas mileage. Everyone I know that has the diesel Silverado and a suburban absolutely love them…
Is that the new generation LZ0 duramax?

jet496

Reaction score
Sticker Prices are a total sales gimmick. It's like the retail price of equipment we sell. We can do the entire job cheaper than the retail cost, but it's a deal the manufacturers have sworn to never reveal the 50 to 60% discounts, or more, they give the dealers. It is what it is though. Thank God we get fleet deals on vehicles & never pay more than $50k, usually less, for dual cab trucks. I see them on the lots for the regular Joe Smo marked up $20k from that LOL.

There's going to be big changes coming with all the new electric vehicles and laws being signed. I need 3 more trucks but waiting for January to see what they reveal. They will want to sell the inventory they have now before telling us what's coming.

Boat 405

Reaction score
These are pretty wild stories what people are willing to put up with. A good friend of mine told me years ago never fight your way into a deal.

I have a go to guy at Anderson dodge in Lake Havasu and I’ve ordered a few vehicles from him recently actually ordered a 2500 four-wheel-drive Laramie diesel last weekend. I called him a couple weeks ago told him I would be in to order a truck, walked in went through the options list gave him a check to get the order processed and left never once did I have to ask for a deal or what’s my price or any of that nonsense bullshit he gives me his best price right at the get-go and we move on I guess it’s just an ongoing relationship that I’ve had for a number of years and he doesn’t try to screw me and I don’t try to screw him.

WildWilly

Reaction score
These are pretty wild stories what people are willing to put up with. A good friend of mine told me years ago never fight your way into a deal.

I have a go to guy at Anderson dodge in Lake Havasu and I’ve ordered a few vehicles from him recently actually ordered a 2500 four-wheel-drive Laramie diesel last weekend. I called him a couple weeks ago told him I would be in to order a truck, walked in went through the options list gave him a check to get the order processed and left never once did I have to ask for a deal or what’s my price or any of that nonsense bullshit he gives me his best price right at the get-go and we move on I guess it’s just an ongoing relationship that I’ve had for a number of years and he doesn’t try to screw me and I don’t try to screw him.

I've tried 3 times now to work with Anderson on a purchase. The people I've dealt with didn't even know their own product or their pricing was way out of whack. The last 2 I've bought out of Vegas over the internet and have a better experience. I try to support local but so far have struck out at Anderson, sounds like you found a solid person

hallett21

Reaction score
I've tried 3 times now to work with Anderson on a purchase. The people I've dealt with didn't even know their own product or their pricing was way out of whack. The last 2 I've bought out of Vegas over the internet and have a better experience. I try to support local but so far have struck out at Anderson, sounds like you found a solid person
Nothing better than having to explain vehicle features to the salesman lol

dnewps

Banned
Reaction score
I'm still on a mission to purchase a 19 or 20 Ford Raptor and thought I found one at Tustin Nissan. We agreed on price and things I wanted done prior to picking it up. I had my own financing so I don't need to go apply for their credit, I just needed a purchase order then I can have my credit union wire them the funds. We had been there for almost 3 hours, I told them that we really need to get going as our 7 month old puppy has been in her kennel for the last 6 hours. They said that it was a requirement for the customer to fill out a credit app for any purchase. Fine, I'll fill it out. They came back with a bunch of payment options and I told them I'm already financed, let me give you a down payment to hold it and I'll come back tomorrow morning and finish all the paperwork. The F&I says okay and I give him a check for $10,000, shake hands and the wife and I walk out. Then halfway to the front door some fat bastard, child molester looking individual who is the sales manager says that I have to finish the paperwork or they won't hold the truck. I told him that I've got 10,000 reasons to come back tomorrow and finish the purchase. He said that there is so much activity on that truck that they won't hold it without the paperwork signed. If someone shows up here 10 minutes before me they'll have to sell it to them. I looked around the dealership, my wife and I were the only ones in there for the last 3 hours we were there. I told him well, with all that traffic you're getting here and if my money isn't enough to hold it until tomorrow morning, keep the damn truck. I refuse to work with a dealership that treats its customers like this. Give me my check and I won't bother you anymore. I got me check and left.

After sitting in traffic for an hour and calming down, I called and talked to the F&I guy and told him that I'll still take the truck as long as that fat bastard is not part the process. I was told he wouldn't be in until noon. Okay, fine I'll be by in the morning. The next morning we got down there in pretty good time so we had about 45 minutes until they opened, as we sat there waiting for them to open, I played what happened the night before in my head over and over. The more I thought about it the more pissed off I became. A few minutes before they opened I decided to say screw it, they didn't want to sell the truck to me, they can keep it, fuck them.

I walked inside and saw my sales guy and the F&I guy and told them that they were very professional and I would like to deal with them under different circumstances. I can understand if pulled $50 out of my pocket and asked them to hold it, but with the amount I put down, that should have carried a little more weight. I told them to let the general manager know that the truck was sold, but their sales manager screwed that up. I did send an email directly to the GM to let him know what happened, but still haven't heard anything back.

The search continues....
I didn’t read the whole thread so maybe someone said it....if your truck purchase is in CA, the dealership cannot legally hold an advertised car. Think bait and switch laws. Also, they need a contract that they can cash in with their bank if your credit union doesn’t come through. The dealership should have got their fat ass in gear and got you home in a timely manner.

traquer

Reaction score
Come out to Texas or another state, I think you could get what you want