WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Where do I find aluminum plugs to fill holes on a boat?

Boschma

Wish I was at the River
Reaction score
I'm looking to fill a couple of holes that used to have gas fillers. I found some fillers on Eddie Marine's website but they are too big. I'm looking for something between 2-3"

Boschma

Wish I was at the River
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434396195.633809.jpg

rivergames

Reaction score
Grab some 1/8" aluminum, get a 2-3" hole saw, cut them out, drill 3 holes, countersink the head, anodize/powder coat or polish, then install.... Done deal :eek:D

Boschma

Wish I was at the River
Reaction score
Grab some 1/8" aluminum, get a 2-3" hole saw, cut them out, drill 3 holes, countersink the head, anodize/powder coat or polish, then install.... Done deal :eek:D

That's not a bad idea.... I'll try that

rivergames

Reaction score
That's not a bad idea.... I'll try that

Before you drill 3 new holes in the boat....After you cut the circle of aluminum out, place it on the existing 3 holes and mark it with a sharpie from underneath. That way you don't have to tear back into the boat. Also use a little silicone on the caps when installing. The silicone cleans up well with WD40 after

wishiknew

Reaction score
Before you drill 3 new holes in the boat....After you cut the circle of aluminum out, place it on the existing 3 holes and mark it with a sharpie from underneath. That way you don't have to tear back into the boat. Also use a little silicone on the caps when installing. The silicone cleans up well with WD40 after

what about the hole the pilot bit makes ??

redone76

Reaction score
I program and operate a cnc laser cutter. 3 2-3" discs with mounting holes will take all of 2 minutes to program and cut. I have plenty of .090 and .125 aluminum laying around. PM me if you're interested

lbhsbz

Putting on the brakes
Reaction score
A cleaner way to do it would be to make a stepped plug. the minor diameter will fit in the existing hole, the major diameter should be large enough to cover up any screw holes in the fiberglass. Tap a blind hole in the bottom of the plug and stud it, then use that to fasten a clamp, similar like what you use to hold gauges in the dash with, and hold it in with no visible fasteners. If you know someone with a lathe and some appropriate scraps laying around, it should go pretty quick. I could make you a set for around $100

They'd look sort of like this, but sized more appropriately.

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant...oduct_Code=457301&Category_Code=bassettaccess

stokernick

Reaction score
A cleaner way to do it would be to make a stepped plug. the minor diameter will fit in the existing hole, the major diameter should be large enough to cover up any screw holes in the fiberglass. Tap a blind hole in the bottom of the plug and stud it, then use that to fasten a clamp, similar like what you use to hold gauges in the dash with, and hold it in with no visible fasteners. If you know someone with a lathe and some appropriate scraps laying around, it should go pretty quick. I could make you a set for around $100

http://shopping.rexmar.com/Merchant...oduct_Code=457301&Category_Code=bassettaccess

why not glass them , not that big a deal!:(

wishiknew

Reaction score

I like this idea :thumbup:

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
You know what would be really cool Boschma?

Just take it over to a glass shop in havasi and have them fill the hole! Lol.. That way you don't have a giant useless piece of aluminum on the side of an otherwise clean little mini

Boschma

Wish I was at the River
Reaction score

Just take it over to a glass shop in havasi and have them fill the hole! Lol.. That way you don't have a giant useless piece of aluminum on the side of an otherwise clean little mini

Believe me...that'll be on the list....but Havasu is 800 miles from Earth.... I just want to get rid of these box covers that are in it now :eek
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434405941.328226.jpg

Tank

Reaction score
Just a thought but you could actually install those mini round pop ups used for fenders.
Or even a mini pop up cleat.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434406355.045471.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434406362.960279.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434406369.427088.jpg

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score

Doesn't look like an easy patch with the multi colors. What do you think that would run per hole?

RiverDave

In it to win it
Reaction score
Doesn't look like an easy patch with the multi colors. What do you think that would run per hole?

I don't know.. I have recently discovered on a couple fronts that I'm probably the worst guy in the world to ask what something costs.. Lol.

CampbellCarl

Reaction score

I don't know.. I have recently discovered on a couple fronts that I'm probably the worst guy in the world to ask what something costs.. Lol.

Right....;)

rush1

Reaction score
Why don't you install some chrome air vent scoops in there?

Brian

Reaction score

I have to agree with Dave on this one. I would at the very least get a quote and see. Sure, the quick and dirty way is to make a cover plate, vent, or whatever but to the cleanest will be to fill the hole. Might be cheaper than you think!

ColdSteel

Life on the Main Jet.
Reaction score
Broooo... You could put a wakeboard tower on the boat.
That would be siiiiick! :D