WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Whatcha reading??

brad22

Barco Mecanico
Reaction score
I know I know, pretty boring and not boat related but looking for some recommendations on a good book to read. Just like the Netflix threads, what's a good Amazon Kindle book to get into? I like true stories, scandals, and crime kinda stuff. Anyone even read books on here? lol. Actually I don't but I got this new Amazon Fire and looking to fire up the kindle side of it. Shit if there was a good bio on Reggie Fountain or something like that i would give that a shot too.

ElAzul

Well-Known RDP Inmate #211
Reaction score
Just this for now
Screenshot_20180519-150631.png

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Cadillac Desert
Beyond the Pale
American Icon: Alan Mulally and the Fight to Save Ford Motor Company

Bouncing between those three books. Printed editions. I buy used for dirt cheap through Amazon.

brad22

Barco Mecanico
Reaction score
Cadillac Desert
Beyond the Pale
American Icon: Alan Mulally and the Fight to Save Ford Motor Company

Bouncing between those three books. Printed editions. I buy used for dirt cheap through Amazon.

Exactly kind of what I'm looking for, thanks!

bowtiejunkie

Reaction score
Exactly kind of what I'm looking for, thanks!

One more book I’m tracking for a cheaper price is Iron Fist, about the life of founder of Mercury Marine. It was recommended by someone on RDP in past.

Chili Palmer

Master of My Domian
Reaction score
Just finished Heaven and Hell: My My Life In The Eagles by Don Felder - That book will make you hate Don Henley and Glenn Frey.

Last edited:

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
Finished The Boys in the Boat by Daniel Brown and just started A Speck In The Sea by John Aldridge.
Boys In The Boat is about the rowing team in 1936, Nazi Germany and what they went through to get there. Great read. Speck in the Sea is about a fisherman that falls overboard while his mates are below, asleep. That's about as far as I have read.

Snprhed

Reaction score
I like Dan Brown, and Brad Meltzer. They are both fiction writers, but they both go out of their way to get facts straight.

Brad Meltzers inner circle about the culper ring was good. Lots of interesting history about George Washington and his spies

rrrr

Reaction score
The Oxford Illustrated History of Great Britain. I'm up to the early 1700s and the reign of Charles I.

beaverretriever

Catchy Custom User Title
Reaction score
I'm down to about 30min of Tv a day so I read a lot when I do have time. Love fiction and non, but if I'm reading just to get away it's usually Clive Cussler. I prefer the Oregon Files (main character is Juan Cabrillo) series over the most well known Dirk Pitt stuff. It's super enjoyable; a little unbelievable at times but overall such easy reads and fun.

The movie Sahara was based off a Dirk Pitt novel.

77 SLEEK

Reaction score
Rich dad poor dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki Reading it for about the 10th time.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score
I just finished Adrian Newey's "How to Build a Car", and Marc Preistley's "The Mechanic: The Secret World of the F1 Pitlane", Both are excellent if you are into racing. They have some incredible stories about all the shenanigans that go on.

Tank

Reaction score
I read mostly Sci-Fi but read crime fiction from time to time. I usually let me dad vet books and then kick them my way. He reads, like a crazy amount of books. Usually one at least every other day sometime one a day. I just finished last night the 4rth book of a series called the 7th sword that is an awesome sci-fi / fantasy series. Finished a week ago "Impulse" which is the 4rth book of the Jumper series (they made a horrible movie out of the book). Getting ready to start tonight either Red Rising about a Mars mining colony treated like slaves (that is being made into a TV series) or I'm going to start "The Old Man" that my dad really liked and sounds like it might fit your bill. Crime fiction and spy stuff but entertaining.
untitled1.png
untitled2.png
untitled3.png
untitled4.png
untitled5.png

rrrr

Reaction score
I just finished Adrian Newey's "How to Build a Car", and Marc Preistley's "The Mechanic: The Secret World of the F1 Pitlane", Both are excellent if you are into racing. They have some incredible stories about all the shenanigans that go on.

Racey, buy yourself a copy of A Life and Times At McLaren by Tyler Alexander. This autobiography of his career in racing and 20 years at McLaren is a fascinating story.

Alexander's account of being a key player in the organization details the happenings in Formula 1, sportscars, and IndyCar during the development of wings, ground effects, and the Cosworth DFV. It's remarkable stuff.

It's an expensive book, about $45, but the large hardcover format has lots of photographs that by themselves make the book worth buying.

Babyback

Reaction score
Finished The Boys in the Boat by Daniel Brown and just started A Speck In The Sea by John Aldridge.
Boys In The Boat is about the rowing team in 1936, Nazi Germany and what they went through to get there. Great read.

This ^^^^^and I would add Sons and Soldiers to list by Bruce Henderson if you liked Boys in the Boat

Babyback

Reaction score
I like Dan Brown, and Brad Meltzer. They are both fiction writers, but they both go out of their way to get facts straight.

Brad Meltzers inner circle about the culper ring was good. Lots of interesting history about George Washington and his spies

Brad Meltzer new book Escape Artist was a great read! I could not put the book down

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
Non fiction

the devil in the white city by Erik Larson is about hh Holmes a serial killer who killed many during the Chicago world's fair.

1776 by David McCullough. Pretty much anything by mccullough is great i think this is his best though. An in depth look at one year of the revolutionary war.

Six frigates by ian toll. This is the story of the first six frigates built by the U.S. Navy. It is incredible how bad ass these things were.

Fiction

Triggerfish twist by Tim dorsey. Dorsey used to be the editor for the Tampa bay Tribune and I think he used the crazy stories that always seem to come out of Florida as inspiration. His anti hero is a criminal named serge who kills people in innovative and funny ways. This is one of the darkest humor books i have ever read and was laughing out loud for good parts of it.

Red right return by john cunningham. Buck our hero is a sea plane pilot in the keys. cunningham is a newer writer but his books are really well done.

My favorite clive cussler book was Atlantis a dirk pitt adventure but he is also a good writer.

I also like dan Brown and brad metzler. Both write well studied historical fiction. Angels and demons for Brown and the inner circle from Metzler are my favorites.I

The amber room by Steve berry is in the same genre.

The Pendergast series by douglas Preston and Lincoln child are pretty good. Eccentric fbi agent is the main character in the series. The movie relic is based on the book of the same name. The movie was awful they cut out the main character of the book. The book was Damn good.

I used to read a lot more before the kids.

Last edited:

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I love tim dorsey books ! And you are right about bursting out laughing while reading.

He has to be the funniest writer I have ever read. The stuff he comes up with kills me. Triggerfish was the first one I ever read and still my favorite. Super nice guy too.

DrunkenSailor

Reaction score
I forgot Randy Wayne White. His stuff is pretty good. Ex Special forces who owns a stilt house on sanibel island.

Harlan Cobens Myron Bolitar series was good about a sports agent.

Mike Lupica wrote a couple of good sports books called bump and run and red zone about a fictional NY Football team owner.

buck35

Reaction score
He has to be the funniest writer I have ever read. The stuff he comes up with kills me. Triggerfish was the first one I ever read and still my favorite. Super nice guy too.

I really don't remember which book but the turn signal bit had me spewing my coffee. The guy has a great sense of humor for sure.

stephenkatsea

Reaction score
It was somewhat surprising to me, Jimmy Buffett has written some good books. Particularly if you're into stories about boating in the FL Gulf Coast Panhandle area.

Snprhed

Reaction score
This is slightly off topic, but applicable. I drive to Reno from las vegas every Thursday . I use an app called overdrive that the henderson and las vegas libraries both use. It is free to use with your library card. It is great for the endless miles of nothing, and the amount of books available is impressive. Fyi for anyone that would like to read more and can't find the time. I never listen to the radio anymore.

brad22

Barco Mecanico
Reaction score
I love tim dorsey books ! And you are right about bursting out laughing while reading.
I DL Florida Roadkill which is first a 4 book series. Always down for a good laugh! Going camping for 3 days so should be able to put a dent in it this weekend. Thanks for all the suggestions.