WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What did you get done in 2023?

Cray Paper

Reaction score
Always seems to be threads about what you plan to accomplish in the coming year, but life is life and I find it important to review what was accomplished in the outgoing year and acknowledge the wins. As we get older it's much easier to overlook things we encountered and dealt with outside of the " Plan"

My personnel accomplishments that come to mind are
= making my last maintenance payment ( non were late, 2K a month), paying off credit cards, staying with my employer during a extremely hard time while working for superiors that don't work for my company ( JV project), completing home projects with my wife including re taping, mud, texture and paint of a wall papered bedroom, repainting several large rooms in our home, replacing the base and casework, dealing with replacing garage doors, hernia surgery, tearing my ear in half, buying new cloths washers and dryers,,,I am sure there is more.

What are you proud of accomplishing in 2023?

4Waters

Reaction score
No joke this year sucked, didn't accomplish anything. First 3 months were constant daily headaches from hot asphalt mix until I gave up that promotion. Next 3 months were reconnecting with my wife and kids after coming home everyday grumpy and pissed off because of the headaches and the last 6 months have been recovering from a car accident that happened while at work, so the hard work of reconnecting with my family got taxed with me being in pain and not sleeping. The last few weeks have been decent and I have started the process over with my family again. Can't wait for 2023 to be over.

I guess our family being pushed hard with things out of our control and still being a family in the end is an accomplishment, shows how strong we are.

LHC Kirby

LifeTime Member
Reaction score
Wanted to lose weight, did not, but didn't gain either = win
Wanted to spend more time with family and friends - barely an increase, will do better in 2024
Wanted to spend quality time with grandkids = 100% increase, looking to do 200% in 2024.... we typically spend 15-20 hours a week with them. PLUS 4 one week get aways each year. GRANDKIDS ARE THE BEST.

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
No joke this year sucked, didn't accomplish anything. First 3 months were constant daily headaches from hot asphalt mix until I gave up that promotion. Next 3 months were reconnecting with my wife and kids after coming home everyday grumpy and pissed off because of the headaches and the last 6 months have been recovering from a car accident that happened while at work, so the hard work of reconnecting with my family got taxed with me being in pain and not sleeping. The last few weeks have been decent and I have started the process over with my family again. Can't wait for 2023 to be over.

I guess our family being pushed hard with things out of our control and still being a family in the end is an accomplishment, shows how strong we are.
Hope 2024 gets better for you. I accomplished a lot but I also sacrificed a lot so I’m just hoping I can keep finding that happy medium. For the first time in my life 2023 was the year I told my boss if your asking me to chose between my family and my job you might not like the next thing that comes out of my mouth. I’m proud of myself for that and my wife is too.

4Waters

Reaction score
Hope 2024 gets better for you. I accomplished a lot but I also sacrificed a lot so I’m just hoping I can keep finding that happy medium. For the first time in my life 2023 was the year I told my boss if your asking me to chose between my family and my job you might not like the next thing that comes out of my mouth. I’m proud of myself for that and my wife is too.
Good for you. I'm still fairly new here but from what I gather you have come a long way, you have worked hard for what you have. 👍👍

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
Good for you. I'm still fairly new here but from what I gather you have come a long way, you have worked hard for what you have. 👍👍
Just to get it off my chest because it’s been eating me up. I got written up over it and it bothered me because I’ve always bent over backwards for him and I’ve never been written. Someone above him took notice that I wasn’t happy because they transferred and demoted my boss. I’m not happy about that and it’s not what I wanted at all.but to make up a lie and say I have no choice but to miss my kids baseball games wasnt ok with me. I clocked out and went to the game. I got written up because he said I didn’t communicate, unfortunately for him a I saved all the texts and emails. Our director pulled me aside to talk about it and the conversation made me feel really good. I was honestly starting to look at some other options I have.

Well and I guess I can stop calling him my boss now 😬

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
Great question!

#1- finished my book that I've been working on for four years
#2- Sportin' Wood and I purchased a primary home that we love
#3- got a new job in a new career field (it's only part-time, but it's a start)
#4- planted a small but successful garden

Shlbyntro

Ultra Conservative
Reaction score
I grew my small fledgling business by 20% in a down economy while also not working as many hours.

I have somehow been able to find time to work on some of my projects. Although not nearly as much as I'm used to and wish I could. but I am still making headway.

I've learned and grown new skills in fiberglass body work.

I've added a couple larger ticket tools to the belt including a MIG welder, a hydraulic press, and a few decent quality spray guns.

The biggest one I think though, I survived a full year of single parenthood with an infant.

4Waters

Reaction score
Just to get it off my chest because it’s been eating me up. I got written up over it and it bothered me because I’ve always bent over backwards for him and I’ve never been written. Someone above him took notice that I wasn’t happy because they transferred and demoted my boss. I’m not happy about that and it’s not what I wanted at all.but to make up a lie and say I have no choice but to miss my kids baseball games wasnt ok with me. I clocked out and went to the game. I got written up because he said I didn’t communicate, unfortunately for him a I saved all the texts and emails. Our director pulled me aside to talk about it and the conversation made me feel really good. I was honestly starting to look at some other options I have.

Well and I guess I can stop calling him my boss now 😬
I rarely work OT and I never work OT during my kids sports seasons because I'm not missing a game for anything. I catch shit for it from time to time but I have my values and they don't waver. I have time between football and track, Dec and Jan then between track and boating season, last 2 weeks in May, football starts in July. Family first and foremost.

4Waters

Reaction score
I did buy a new to us 2021 F150 in April and between March and June I lost almost 15lbs and was on a roll but since accident I have gained 10lbs back. The year wasn't a complete and total loss but it overall sucked, never made it out on the water, never went fishing and the only time I went shooting was a week after my accident to re-qualify for my CCW (appt had already been made) and it was painful, actually did good for being in pain with diminished range of motion, 40 rounds between 3 guns.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
… I survived a lengthy hospital stay… that I was not too sure what the outcome was going to be😳… I found out first hand what an incredibly intelligent selfless bunch of people there are on this forum…

… I learned that I’m not going to be able to do it on my own any longer… what a shock that was…and I also learned the real meaning of saying Thank you… so for the thousandth time… Thank you… Thank you… Thank you…💕

Your ad here

Reaction score
I got promoted at work and got like 3 raises at once. Wage, fuel card, and company vehicle. I was so happy I went and got the same contractors license as the company I work for to hold as a backup.
Finally finalized all the paperwork for my side business and was able to buy some good used equipment for a smoking price.
Donated over $2000 to SCMCSG this year.
Overall it was a good year with many opportunities that presented themselves that I wouldn't have thought of happening.

Go-Fly

Where Are My Shoes?
Reaction score
I invested in a trucking co-op. That took like a week so the other 51 weeks I played and traveled. You know, had to take a break from working.😁

dribble

Reaction score
I didn’t get much done but my GF single-handedly completed a difficult remodel on her house and got it sold. Her son helped her some but she hired nobody else and (except for the carpet and granite install) did all the work herself. Including replacing taping and texturing drywall, gutting and remodeling 3 bathrooms, the kitchen, rebuilt the staircase, cased out all the windows and replaced the floors and all the base moldings. Her ex had been living in it and literally trashed it. When he moved out she moved back in and worked on it 14 hours a day Here’s what it looked like when she was done.

IMG_1790.jpeg

Last edited:

PlanB

Reaction score
Still trying to recover from what the Covid "vaccine" did to me 2.5 years ago. I am better than I was when I took the poison but still have issues. Hopefully the next year will bring me more recovery. Hopefully I will be able to ride a motorcycle again along with the other things I have not done in the past 2.5 years.

Oggie

Reaction score
Still trying to recover from what the Covid "vaccine" did to me 2.5 years ago. I am better than I was when I took the poison but still have issues. Hopefully the next year will bring me more recovery. Hopefully I will be able to ride a motorcycle again along with the other things I have not done in the past 2.5 years.
The second Moderna shot got me....neuropathy all over my body starting 5 days after the second shot culminating with a stroke. Hang in there. I know more people that got real problems (myocarditis and stroke) from the vaccine. Wish I never got the shot!!!

PlanB

Reaction score
The second Moderna shot got me....neuropathy all over my body starting 5 days after the second shot culminating with a stroke. Hang in there. I know more people that got real problems (myocarditis and stroke) from the vaccine. Wish I never got the shot!!!
Hope you fully recover. I have neuropathy as well but it's isolated to my face, neck and back.

SOD

Reaction score
Glad this thread made me reflect. Second granddaughter in March. Comfortably retired in July. Moved from a lifetime in SoCal to a great life in northern Nevada. Realizing how good life and family are.

Javajoe

Reaction score
-Boat engine issue first time out so had to cancel all river trips and just got motor back and reinstalled last week. Bought E Bikes to carry us thru the summer
-quit smoking last day of 22, still haven’t even wanted one
-going to gym with wife all year. Greatest shape of my life
-finishing 3 big bldgs in Indio. Now just starting a 3 story Indio City Hall and Library
-wondering what the hell I would do if I retired. I think I’ll work forever
-I also accomplished keeping the wife happy for the most part

Flyinbowtie

Reaction score
-Survived.
-Made it down to June Lake, which was on the to-do list for a long time. It was the best time we had all year.
2023 has not been a great year for us. We are hoping 2024 improves. We will see.

@angiebaby come late spring I would like to bend your ear if possible. I have been sitting on a plan/plot for book for a long time. I need some advice. I need to do something with this thing.

Willie B

aberrant member
Reaction score
-Survived.
-Made it down to June Lake, which was on the to-do list for a long time. It was the best time we had all year.
2023 has not been a great year for us. We are hoping 2024 improves. We will see.

@angiebaby come late spring I would like to bend your ear if possible. I have been sitting on a plan/plot for book for a long time. I need some advice. I need to do something with this thing.
… Do it now…Neighbor Girl had been trying to get me to write a book for several years… I was going to dictate… she was going to type…, and I was going to organize it into chapters and paragraphs… in other words collate it all… well now Neighbor Girl is carrying her first child….and I am too used up to do my part… so we are back to what I said at the beginning here… Do it now… before you simply, can’t…🤷🏽‍♀️

Last edited:

angiebaby

Mountain Mama
Reaction score
-Survived.

Anytime. However, my book is non-fiction, so I don't know how much help I will be.

HubbaHubbaLife

Reaction score
Thoughtful & reflective thread .... I'll jump in.... Being raised on a Va farm then moving part time as a single 30 yr old to Newport Beach knowing no one and living in the Laguna/ Newport coastal towns bicoastal for 32 years I came to feel as if the toxicity of the southwest coast lifestyle was a bit much as I aged. So in 23' I rolled dice and rented a place in Rosarito. I can say its much to my liking after a short 4 months and now as I meet some younger gringos I'm beginning to understand there is a massive 1000 mile peninsula Im only on the northern most tip of. What I didn't know was this area has so many retired gringos/ ex pats already here... and they bring their toxicity here [Bless their soul] so I think in a year or two I'll need to go further into this peninsula to "Feel" what I seek. I'm already establishing contact with folks down maybe 500 miles south of me for a March-May recon drive.... 2024 gonna be forward looking journey ... hope all of my fellow inmates are flourishing and appreciative of lifes gifts!

Last edited: