WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

What are you guys doing to keep your brains tip top?

wash11

Off The Grid
Reaction score
I've noticed a decline in cognitive function in recent years. I'm not alone either. Our group is all early 50's and a common conversation lately centers around feeling a bit dumb. Forgetfulness, trouble finding the right words while chatting with friends (I swear, I used to be a witty mother fucker), taking longer to figure things out that used to come easy..... I've always been terrible at remembering names so at least that hasn't changed.

I'm sure others here on RDP have experienced the same. Would love to hear some things you've successfully done get the ol' noggin firing on all eight again.

Cdog

Reaction score
Interesting timing, I just saw this online. Lmfao!
IMG_0613.jpeg

BHC Vic

cobra performance boats
Reaction score
I've noticed a decline in cognitive function in recent years. I'm not alone either. Our group is all early 50's and a common conversation lately centers around feeling a bit dumb. Forgetfulness, trouble finding the right words while chatting with friends (I swear, I used to be a witty mother fucker), taking longer to figure things out that used to come easy..... I've always been terrible at remembering names so at least that hasn't changed.

I'm sure others here on RDP have experienced the same. Would love to hear some things you've successfully done get the ol' noggin firing on all eight again.
Do you by chance ever test testosterone levels. No idea if that would have anything to do with it but I’ve heard guys that are on trt say they feel sharper mentally and physically but again that’s more bro science than anything else

Hardly Satisfied

Riverside, CA & Havasu
Reaction score

First of all are you on any medication from your doctor ? If so that‘s one of the biggest issue. I don’t take any prescription drugs from my doctor. I go to a guy at Clarks Nutrition in riverside. The guys name is Gary Richer

Hardly Satisfied

Riverside, CA & Havasu
Reaction score

D1BF39BC-775B-4C5B-AEAE-73B0FF16F05D.jpeg

dribble

Reaction score
I’m 68. A close friend is 70. He’s in Portugal right now putting transmitters on sea turtles. His and my advice is never stop learning and keep moving. I lift weights, waterski, ride a bicycle, ride a dirt bike and Harley. I’ve not paid anybody to fix or replace anything I own. If I don’t know how to do it, I learn. I make sure I read every day. The rule in my house (even when I lived alone) is that the TV does not go on before 5PM.

cofooter

Reaction score
Trying to keep busy and learn something new everyday since I retired last year. I read a lot, and also do my own finances and investments, and create complex spreadsheets for various meaningless things like I did at work just to keep thinking analytically. Also, been playing guitar since I was a teen primarily just for fun. I know a lot of songs from way back when but I try to learn one or two new songs each week via Youtube and then play them over and over til they are ingrained. Also, workout every day which I believe is good for the body and mind!!!

Last edited:

Activated

Deplorable
Reaction score
Interesting question. I have been feeling a little bit of the same way lately. My wife plays Wordle every morning, I just haven’t started it myself yet but I need to. I do play this dumb game, Wordscapes when I am bored. I am trying to read more but I just don’t find some of the stuff available to read interesting.

I am more of an outside type of brain stimulation person but in PHX in July and August it’s tough. Hiking, golf, or even just a walk listening to a podcast works.

Romans9

Reaction score
Physical activity is a good start.

Read books, paper books, things you are interested in.
Talk about what you read and work on exercising your recall.

My Grandpa raised cattle, worked a 3 acre garden by hand, climbed trees and cut hedge posts 1/2 mile away and drug them home on a tarp with straps around his shoulders at 89 years old.
He read every day, ate mostly food he raised and worked hard every day.

IMG_0617.jpeg

Cdog

Reaction score
Physical activity, reading & audio books, complicated hobbies that inspire to learn new skills. I believe Keto & intermittent fasting also helps. Keep pushing. You can rest when you’re dead

Nosocks

Reaction score

Read this. Will address other questions about aging as well. It’s a bit dense/technical but helpful.

Also available as an audio book

Cray Paper

Reaction score
I am 54 and have been noticing the same issues. I find that if I am physically and mentally active / being challenged my thought process is much clearer and more decisive.

SpeedyWho

Reaction score
I gave up drinking unless we’re out of town or special occasion. That helped me a bunch. Then I cut sugars and carbs out completely, got rid of brain fog. My mental clarity improved noticeably. Look up type 3 diabetes and the long term effects of sugar and brain function its pretty Interesting.

Romans9

Reaction score
I forgot about alcohol.

Quit the alcohol.

I’m 52 today, I am just as sharp mentally as I have ever been and I can work just as hard as anyone. I regularly work 14-16 hours a day in Missouri summers and winters.

I have never been a drinker nor a user of anything.

I know that is not a popular opinion but I think it plays a part when I compare myself to my contemporaries that indulge.

wash11

Off The Grid
Reaction score
Do you by chance ever test testosterone levels. No idea if that would have anything to do with it but I’ve heard guys that are on trt say they feel sharper mentally and physically but again that’s more bro science than anything else
Yes, I'm in the clinical acceptable range for my age which is nowhere near where a lot of those guys run. I understand there's improvements I could make there.

wash11

Off The Grid
Reaction score
I do all my math for work with pen and paper. I make sure I learn something new everyday. I read.
I run the entire beef side of the farm using manual entries into notebooks and calculate margins by hand as well. It's strangely soothing. I thought I was the last one not giving into some snazzy software :)

wash11

Off The Grid
Reaction score
First of all are you on any medication from your doctor ? If so that‘s one of the biggest issue. I don’t take any prescription drugs from my doctor. I go to a guy at Clarks Nutrition in riverside. The guys name is Gary Richer
I'm on Montelukast (generic singulair). It completely manages adult-onset asthma with one pill nightly. I'm allergic to alfalfa- what do I grow for our pasture raised birds? Alfalfa:D. What do I feed my beef? Alfalfa. The side effects from Benadryl and Albuterol inhalers are likely worse than the Singulair. Not to mention the misery that comes from not taking it.
Other than that, the occasional Excedrin when I get my hay billo_O

wash11

Off The Grid
Reaction score
I’m 68. A close friend is 70. He’s in Portugal right now putting transmitters on sea turtles. His and my advice is never stop learning and keep moving. I lift weights, waterski, ride a bicycle, ride a dirt bike and Harley. I’ve not paid anybody to fix or replace anything I own. If I don’t know how to do it, I learn. I make sure I read every day. The rule in my house (even when I lived alone) is that the TV does not go on before 5PM.
It's strange you mention not paying anyone to fix your stuff. I've got the knowledge, experience and tools to do most things but feel like I've spent a lifetime getting to a point where I can pay someone else to work on my junk. Since @monkeyswrench has been my go-to mechanic the last couple years, I'd like to shift the blame of my stupidity on him. :p

Luvnlife

Head Ram Rod
Reaction score
I gave up drinking unless we’re out of town or special occasion. That helped me a bunch. Then I cut sugars and carbs out completely, got rid of brain fog. My mental clarity improved noticeably. Look up type 3 diabetes and the long term effects of sugar and brain function its pretty Interesting.
I switched to a high protein diet👍🏻

wash11

Off The Grid
Reaction score
I'll go 5 or 6 weeks in between having beers with the neighbors, it just doesn't do it for me like it used to. We eat pretty clean and my A1C is a 5.5 every 6 months when I have it tested. You're right though, I can definitely feel it brain wise if I eat/drink a bunch of carbs!

wash11

Off The Grid
Reaction score
I forgot about alcohol.

Quit the alcohol.

I’m 52 today, I am just as sharp mentally as I have ever been and I can work just as hard as anyone. I regularly work 14-16 hours a day in Missouri summers and winters.

I have never been a drinker nor a user of anything.

I know that is not a popular opinion but I think it plays a part when I compare myself to my contemporaries that indulge.
That humidity would kill me:oops:.

I think we drank enough from 2005 to 2015 to cover us for our entire lives. Now, it's not even on the radar.

CarolynandBob

Reaction score
Crosswords and logic puzzles, plus I read 3-4 books a week. Your mind is a muscle and needs exercise.

CLdrinker

Reaction score
Sharp mind? Shit just wish my pencil would stay sharp like it did in my 20’s

whiteworks

Custom Shutters by WhiteWorks
Reaction score
One of my buddies told me when he hit 57 something changed in his cognitive abilities. His multi tasking ability slowed way down, he had ran his automotive/race shop for 30+ years with 10-15 employees keeping it all in his head and he noticed that the sharpness wasn’t as sharp anymore. Had to start keeping notes on everything so he wouldn’t miss any details.

I’ve noticed that when I’m in ketosis my thinking is much clearer. I’m attempting to put together some additional business stuff right now and going into ketosis is part of my strategy to help think my way through all the moving parts prior to committing to Making any moves.

Mandelon

Coffee makes me poop.
Reaction score
I blame the Covid. Had it twice here. Then again, my next birthday starts with a 6. So there's that.

I notice having to search for words more than I used to. Trying to remember names is harder.

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score

rivermobster

Club Banned
Reaction score
I'm on Montelukast (generic singulair). It completely manages adult-onset asthma with one pill nightly. I'm allergic to alfalfa- what do I grow for our pasture raised birds? Alfalfa:D. What do I feed my beef? Alfalfa. The side effects from Benadryl and Albuterol inhalers are likely worse than the Singulair. Not to mention the misery that comes from not taking it.

You might want to read though this very carefully.

Romans9

Reaction score
There are tremendous side effects to most pills

I had a endoscopy done a year ago. I have had acid reflux for years and did not realize it was causing my throat to constrict.

Doctor put me on Prilosec. I was on that for about 20 days and I noticed my guts didn’t feel right.

I quit taking it and decided I would try other things to see if I could find something else that would curb my reflux.

I started drinking the Kombucha (16 oz) 4everyday and my reflux is gone.

That Prilosec got rid of the acid alright but it also made my guts feel like I had swallowed lead.

Romans9

Reaction score

Grind up some alfalfa and eat it.

A tiny bit at first.

Increase it little by little and get rid of the reaction.

There is a good chance that your asthma will subside.
Worked for me.

wallnutz

Reaction score
Do not take statin. My Dr started me on very light dose because my cholesterol was very slightly elevated, after a week I swear my short term memory was gone. I took it long enough to get a new blood test and then weaned myself off of it. Still have some memory effects. That shit is poison.

jesco

Reaction score
I blame the Covid. Had it twice here. Then again, my next birthday starts with a 6. So there's that.

I notice having to search for words more than I used to. Trying to remember names is harder.
THIS.... Im the same exact way lately. I just turned 52, and remembering names has always been my weak spot, but its been ramped up since covid.

TPC

Wrenching Dad
Reaction score
When our cats get old and are going into their death cycle. That is walking around old age style, soon to tap out and you know their end is coming soon,, but they go through 15 minute flashes like they are kittens again. Jumping up on the counter, chasing stuff, then default back to dying mode. Well,, that's me.

Ladsm

Reaction score
I find I need to keep my brain challenged. I am interviewing for a higher level job position right now to keep my brain challenged and active. My current position has evolved into mostly a desk job and I am bored out of my mind.

Gonefishin5555

Reaction score
I play pickleball 24/7. Like literally 7-10x a week some days before and after work. Cut off the alcohol. No RX at all. I’ve dropped 35lbs in last year. Less sugar and carbs no late meals. Also starting to play more ping pong my gf is always trying to win. We battle hard. The thing about remembering names is funny because I always had trouble with that but playing pickleball and always meeting new people I always remember the names now. People laugh at pickleball being called a sport but I would tell you that the sequencing of your footwork and also the decision making of what shot to hit you can literally train your brain to do these things without even thinking. Not sure how you would be able to independently verify improvement but I’m certain I have improved greatly since last summer