WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Well the job search is winding down, school me on Vegas, versus Golden Colorado, versus Fairfield California.....

Tremor Therapy

Reaction score
So the story goes---I got laid off on 5/24 and I have been looking for a job ever since. No job all summer has really put a cramp in the boating this year!

I have over 200 applications out in the world and the SoCal companies seem to be unicorn hunting. I have noticed that salaries are down 20-40% from what they were back in 2022 when I last was looking around, and some companies are taking more than 8 weeks before they respond (unless the ATS kicks you out immediately). Fortunately, I have an interview with a company in Irvine this week, but I have 3 others that are already at second and third steps. But, those 3 opportunities are in Las Vegas, Golden, Co, and Fairfield, Ca. None are remote, and all want me to relocate before I start. I only have 9 years left to work, and we are going to retire in Havasu. The thought of having to move twice in less than 10 years....ugh!

So any info on the do's and don'ts of these three areas would be greatly appreciated. I don't really want to move, but all three of these pay well, more than the same jobs I have seen open here in Socal.

Thanks in advance!

3queens

Detachable Member
Reaction score
I would go Vegas route especially since
You are moving to havazoo in do time
Easier move when your done
Plus there is a chance to commute ya it’s far butttt
BIG F NO on any comifornia location
Good luck 🍀

The Capt

Capt. SF fireboat, St. Francis
Reaction score
I lived in Fairfield/Suisun City from 2000 to 2017. I would NOT move back. It has a pretty high crime rate, and when my kids were in high school they were the only blonde haired kids in the class picture. Travis air base is close so you have a lot of cheapish houses available. Look elsewhere. If you do decide to move here give me a pm for more info.

81Sprint

Reaction score
Check out Henderson or Boulder City if going the Vegas route. The west and southwest side of Vegas has gotten really crowded, traffic is a PITA. Northwest is nice but growing like crazy so depending where you are commuting to might have heavy traffic coming into town from there as well. Henderson and Northwest is still on the lower end of house prices. Boulder City is a great little area but can be pricey, but you are super close to the lake and has the small town feel.

napanutt

Connoisseur
Reaction score
I lived in Fairfield/Suisun City from 2000 to 2017. I would NOT move back. It has a pretty high crime rate, and when my kids were in high school they were the only blonde haired kids in the class picture. Travis air base is close so you have a lot of cheapish houses available. Look elsewhere. If you do decide to move here give me a pm for more info.
And the traffic on 80 and the rest of the freeways the closer you get to SF are just as bad as So Cal freeways.
I lived in Vacaville from 2004-2023. I know exactly what you’re talking about.

Sleek-Jet

Reaction score
I'd go kick it in Golden for a couple of years, fuck it why not, try something different before retiring.

The foothills of the front range are nice (or they used to be). Denver is an airline hub city so flights to Vegas or SoCal should be cheap.

Reactions: FCT

Sportin' Wood

Reaction score
So the story goes---I got laid off on 5/24 and I have been looking for a job ever since. No job all summer has really put a cramp in the boating this year!

I have over 200 applications out in the world and the SoCal companies seem to be unicorn hunting. I have noticed that salaries are down 20-40% from what they were back in 2022 when I last was looking around, and some companies are taking more than 8 weeks before they respond (unless the ATS kicks you out immediately). Fortunately, I have an interview with a company in Irvine this week, but I have 3 others that are already at second and third steps. But, those 3 opportunities are in Las Vegas, Golden, Co, and Fairfield, Ca. None are remote, and all want me to relocate before I start. I only have 9 years left to work, and we are going to retire in Havasu. The thought of having to move twice in less than 10 years....ugh!

So any info on the do's and don'ts of these three areas would be greatly appreciated. I don't really want to move, but all three of these pay well, more than the same jobs I have seen open here in Socal.

Thanks in advance!
Do you already have a place in Havasu? Are you willing to skip Havasu for a while?

If you can do without Havasu, Golden, Colorado may provide a unique opportunity to enjoy a different lifestyle for a few years, it may disrupt your retirement plan, or it may make it even stronger. If Havasu is a must have in your routine Las Vegas seems the more appropriate choice. If you are set on Havasu for retirement, maybe Vegas gets you closer to that vision.

The California opportunity would be entirely financial. If they are making it worth your while, live cheap and stack cash.

We did a step change to get closer to our goals.

Tremor Therapy

Reaction score
Havasu was the plan for retirement (we don't have a place there yet), if we could get there early, great, if not, then it would have to wait 9 years. We will continue to boat Havasu no matter where we moved. Denver to the river is 14 hours, but you could fly and drive in about 5 (same as driving from Socal now), so that wouldn't impose on the Havasu time. I am more interested in what the area is like....like what the The Capt had to say. I don't want to take a job only to find out I would be moving to a shithole.

Runs2rch

Reaction score
Check out Henderson or Boulder City if going the Vegas route. The west and southwest side of Vegas has gotten really crowded, traffic is a PITA. Northwest is nice but growing like crazy so depending where you are commuting to might have heavy traffic coming into town from there as well. Henderson and Northwest is still on the lower end of house prices. Boulder City is a great little area but can be pricey, but you are super close to the lake and has the small town feel.
Boulder City is closed..... Hahaha!

HBCraig

Reaction score
I go vegas for sure. No state tax, much more affordable than CA and being close to the river it fits your lifestyle. I had a gouse in Henderson for years and would move back of need be.
If it were me I would move to Boulder city first then Henderson

C_J_J_C

Reaction score
Another vote for Vegas here...
Very similar weather to Havasu to see if your really want to retire there, no income tax, and not California.

2Driver

Reaction score
Couldnt ever do Vegas after driving around the greater metro area a few weeks back
If you like the outdoors and don't mind the seasons Id be in Golden in a heart beat. Go visit

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Here is my take of Nevada. Not sure if you have children--even if you don't, the more popular housing areas will still circle the better schools.
Clark County is just one large school district. Test scores from inner city and Title I schools bring down the entire valley reputation to 49th or even 50th in the country depending on what they are measuring. So the trick is to find the best high schools and buy in that district.

The Red Dots represent IMO the better schools in NV. There are some not on here such as LV Christian Academy and maybe a few others. The 3 Red Dots on the left or WestSide are Palo Verde, Faith Lutheran and Bishop Gorman. To the East (bottom dot) you have Coronado HS and SouthEast (far right) you have Foothill HS. Boulder City only has 1--and its pretty good from my understanding. So you can pick anywhere within those school zones and be in a good neighborhood.

I personally do not like the WestSide / Summerlin Area. It is to crowded. A lot of neighborhood's have dual HOA's. Think SouthCounty OC and this is where those people moved to.

Im in Henderson--tucked up against the mountains (Purple circle). Here are some things why I like it.
Nearest apartment building is almost 3 miles from my home. We have no city bus service near us either--thats a good thing. One of, if not the highest concentration of 1st and 2nd Responders (joking about the 2nd responder comment--lol) live in this area. We have tract homes on up to 1/3rd an acre and custom homes that start on 1/2 up to 5 acres. The cheapest 3bd 2bth home in my zip is $400K and goes up to $10MM. We are away from the "Strip" and McCarran Airport (not calling it Harry Reid) but only 15min drive.
More importantly--I am 15 min drive to Lake Mead. 10 min drive to Boulder City. 5 min drive from the 95S that takes you down to Cottonwood (45-60 min), Laughlin (90 min) or Havasu. (2hrs)

I highlighted areas in Yellow of where I would live--notice they are all outside the Freeway circle!?! Get to crowded and on the inside IMO. Only exception to that yellow area is the Anthem and Seven Hills area. There is one way in--one way out. Majority of children sports are played in this area too. Nothing like 10K families driving in every weekend for kids soccer games.
The Blue circle have some nice homes and communities--but you can see they sit right under the flight path. The area between Calico Ridge and River Mtn have mostly 1/2 and above sized lots with custom homes. Again prices will go from $400--to the MM's.

The NorthWest (top left corner) has a lot of building going on. Some nice communities--but just so far from anything and getting back into or through town is a driving nightmare.

January 2025 will be 18yrs here. Everything I need is between my home and Costco (Location on Marks). I dont go to, or need to go any farther than that.

1724104112181.png

Last edited:

Tremor Therapy

Reaction score
Thanks for the Vegas map. The job would be off the 215 at Jones, right above the middle of the blue circle, so that narrows down the choices, thanks.

Hypnautic

Reaction score
Thanks for the Vegas map. The job would be off the 215 at Jones, right above the middle of the blue circle, so that narrows down the choices, thanks.
Easy commute from Henderson
I say 20ish minutes. +/- depending on weather, time and day of the week.

Cobalt232

Reaction score
My brother and sister-in-law lived in Golden. He was in the State Patrol until he retired. My sister-in-law worked at Kaiser downtown Denver and did the commute for many years. Golden is a great place. Our oldest went to CU in Boulder and lived in Golden during the summer for summer school and that commute was fine too. I could easily live in Golden.

Racey

Maxwell Smart-Ass
Reaction score

Yep, SouthEast is the area you want to be in especially if you are going to boat Mead, go to Havasu etc.

Traffic is way lighter on that side of town too.

Sherpa

Reaction score
Lived in Suisun city/Fairfield mid 80’s.

Air base town. Windy all the damn time. AF. Cold/damp in winter.
I 80 traffic/hwy680 busy…

Basically if you’re not in the airforce, you’re not gonna fit in. They like it that way……

Gelcoater

Reaction score

Thanks in advance!
Tough decisions there, man.
I wouldn’t pick California 😂
That said Vegas would suck but depending on what one likes and wants maybe it won’t?

My dad lived in Boulder for years and loved it, Lake Mead is Right there and the town has and always will have a small town feel to it, because it is.
My sister lived in Summerlin on the West side of the valley and loved its more modern feel.
The lake is over there but not Right there.

All that said I’m jaded towards Colorado since I just got back home from there today.
Did my best to drink all of @endobear beer😎
If I had younger kids in school age?
AC6D43B6-4506-4181-9797-A1B1E50B9D3C.jpeg

I’d rather live here.
Every time we go out there a couple things stand out to us.

The people. They are all nice, polite, friendly even.
Not hustle and bustle fuck off types.
The kids go outside.
Because it’s a bit more rugged up there the kids aren’t pussies👍🇺🇸

And it’s clean.
The side of the road. The trails, the parks, the restroom at the gas station.
Clean👍
Now sure Denver is much like any other liberal utopia but outside of that it’s some beautiful country.
This one isn’t my pic, Endo sent to me last weekend.
0D5F4E22-179A-4609-ADE4-710B4D27DE2F.jpeg

That’s what traffic looks like just up the hill from Golden.

I’m jaded until I remember how F’n! cold it gets in the winter😂😂

Wave Hi

Reaction score
There is a 215 / Jones up by Tule springs . I have a house in Centennial hills and love it up there. 20 mins from the strip , good schools and not a lot of crime...
Bruce Woodbury is the 215 North of downtown.

HBCraig

Reaction score
Here is my take of Nevada. Not sure if you have children--even if you don't, the more popular housing areas will still circle the better schools.
Clark County is just one large school district. Test scores from inner city and Title I schools bring down the entire valley reputation to 49th or even 50th in the country depending on what they are measuring. So the trick is to find the best high schools and buy in that district.

The Red Dots represent IMO the better schools in NV. There are some not on here such as LV Christian Academy and maybe a few others. The 3 Red Dots on the left or WestSide are Palo Verde, Faith Lutheran and Bishop Gorman. To the East (bottom dot) you have Coronado HS and SouthEast (far right) you have Foothill HS. Boulder City only has 1--and its pretty good from my understanding. So you can pick anywhere within those school zones and be in a good neighborhood.

I personally do not like the WestSide / Summerlin Area. It is to crowded. A lot of neighborhood's have dual HOA's. Think SouthCounty OC and this is where those people moved to.

Im in Henderson--tucked up against the mountains (Purple circle). Here are some things why I like it.
Nearest apartment building is almost 3 miles from my home. We have no city bus service near us either--thats a good thing. One of, if not the highest concentration of 1st and 2nd Responders (joking about the 2nd responder comment--lol) live in this area. We have tract homes on up to 1/3rd an acre and custom homes that start on 1/2 up to 5 acres. The cheapest 3bd 2bth home in my zip is $400K and goes up to $10MM. We are away from the "Strip" and McCarran Airport (not calling it Harry Reid) but only 15min drive.
More importantly--I am 15 min drive to Lake Mead. 10 min drive to Boulder City. 5 min drive from the 95S that takes you down to Cottonwood (45-60 min), Laughlin (90 min) or Havasu. (2hrs)

I highlighted areas in Yellow of where I would live--notice they are all outside the Freeway circle!?! Get to crowded and on the inside IMO. Only exception to that yellow area is the Anthem and Seven Hills area. There is one way in--one way out. Majority of children sports are played in this area too. Nothing like 10K families driving in every weekend for kids soccer games.
The Blue circle have some nice homes and communities--but you can see they sit right under the flight path. The area between Calico Ridge and River Mtn have mostly 1/2 and above sized lots with custom homes. Again prices will go from $400--to the MM's.

The NorthWest (top left corner) has a lot of building going on. Some nice communities--but just so far from anything and getting back into or through town is a driving nightmare.

January 2025 will be 18yrs here. Everything I need is between my home and Costco (Location on Marks). I dont go to, or need to go any farther than that.

View attachment 1418661
Nice area. My first Henderson house wasn't far from you in Paradise Hills

MooreMoney

Reaction score
I lived in Sacramento for awhile and had to work in Fairfield at the military base. I would never want to live there. Traffic is always bad on the 80 and you are in no man’s land to sf and Sacramento.

Vegas would be my pick especially if you want to boat Havasu.

Reactions: DWC

Ricks raft

Reaction score
Only thing going for fairfield is the Delta is 1/2 hour, Sonoma raceway is a 1/2 hr. 6 flags 15 minutes, During traffic you can add an hour to any of those. Wind blows, lots of wind farms around there. I don’t like wind or cities. Golden looks nice, I couldn’t do the winters. Don’t think I could do Vegas in the summer. Guess that’s why I’m still in my small town scraping by. But I could probably do any of them for 10 years if it set me up good for retiremen…