WELCOME TO RIVER DAVES PLACE

Water inlet / outlet

Awanna Leiu

Reaction score
How much water do you guys let into your engines (valve full open?), Or do you restrict it on the out flow. What temperatures do you normally run. I'm running a berkley JG-a with a 440 Mopar. Any Ideas or just trial and error?

Thanks, AL!

RACER J

Reaction score
Start with 1/2 turn open and watch temp. you don't want gate valve full open. That is if you are running headers.

Last edited:

Awanna Leiu

Reaction score
I am running headers, what about a sepperate valve for the headers... or would that be too much hassle. When I got the boat it had a valve on the inlet and one right before the exit out of the boat. Im assuming the valve on the exit is to control water pressure.

Thanks for the help, AL

RACER J

Reaction score
IMO the valve on the exit is a bad idea. The pressure the pump puts out the nozzle is the same as what it sends to the engine which is way to much! I run two valves and it works well for me. I will try to post a pic later.

Awanna Leiu

Reaction score
Cool thanks, What is a good temperature for a boat, I was assuming 190 or so.

Factory502

Reaction score
We run a gate valve open, with a pressure valve (pop off) and set it up at about 12 lbs before the motor with headers, on a chebby- Temp is about 170 +/- with a themostat- just my .02

9er

Reaction score
Cool thanks, What is a good temperature for a boat, I was assuming 190 or so.

I run about 160ish.
If your base is 190, you'll be well over 200 after just a couple minutes of idling. And if you have the spring and ball "T" in the line, your headers won't be getting any water anyway at idle. More RPM/speed, more bowl pressure. So I set my temp based on a cruising speed.

Awanna Leiu

Reaction score
thanks, that makes since. I haven't run it yet but i'll shoot for 160 ish at cruise.:beer

Abc123

Banned
Reaction score
Pick up a water pressure regulator from Grainger, then a header control valve from Rex Marine. Those other valves suck IMO.

Stalkaholic

Run but ya can't hide...
Reaction score
Water full on from the pump. With it running this way you will have to run 2 overboard dumps along with a bypass pressure relief or you will overpressure the motor/gaskets. Set the valve with air so that it's just starting to open at 12psi.

You'll also need a thermostat kit to raise the engine temp up since it will run way too cold with water full on from the pump. With a 160* thermostat mine runs constant at 140* regardless of pump speed.

For the header water I tap from one of the pipe plugs next to the thermostat housing. I go from there to a gate valve, then to the Bassett T-valve. Opening the gate valve sends more water pressure to the T-valve and does not affect water pressure in the block.

After 45 hours with this setup i have absolutely no water in the oil and constant temperature regardless of pump speed.